Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ground floor of a legendary thread.

EDIT: I don't mind having mods make the chat thread if it's to put an explicit rule in the first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

never mind

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this thread moves very fast

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

Happy 2020 thread. My new years resolution for this year is to watch an anime again. Thank you all for bearing witness to this declaration.

hell, :same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

power levels, above 9000, cannot be measured so you may as well trash your scouter

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it's mima!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nyoro posted:

Hi chat thread, I like idols

:wave:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

My mom called me earlier today to tell me my uncle had a heart attack and passed away. The lovely thing is, this is coming right as my mom and her sisters are finalizing my grandmother's affairs, since she's on death's door as well.

My condolences to you and your family.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Cuphead Anime!

https://youtu.be/24z_poHGR0E

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://mangadex.org/title/162146eb-672a-4a05-b3b2-0c6303f9614e/takopii-no-genzai

Takopii no Genzai, issue 7

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Vizuyos posted:

you're allowed to like anime

most of the time

I'm gonna like anime all of the timej, it's my god given right

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

there are no ethical idols under capitalism

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ollie is a popular indonesian zombie idol, and the world didn't implode. So zombies can be idols, no problem.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Xun posted:

How big was Galaxy Angel actually? Every time I see it mentioned I feel this huge shock because for me it was the weird cartoon my cousin put on to distract me instead of babysitting me and I feel like I have never heard of anyone else ever watching this weird show.

The galaxy angel anime was pretty mindless, yeah. Entirely skippable fluff, but I still watched all of it. Or at least the first series.

Supposedly it was part of a popular, long-running series of dating sim / strategy games. And there was a manga as well.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nadesico is good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I finished FlipFlappers. I liked it! Especially the art, which had a vibrant, energetic feeling that you don't see often. I think it probably would have been better as like, an 8 or 9 episode series. The early episodes doing the setup were fine, and the last 5 or 6 episodes where all the plot happened were fine, but in the middle it felt like it just spun its wheels for a while. Some amount of filler between act 1 and act 3 is fine, but it felt like a bit too much, for me.

I also sort of had no idea what was going on, from like, a fantasy narrative perspective. From the human, emotional perspective, everything was crystal clear. I don't know if that contrast was intentional, or if the muddled narrative was a mistake, or if it wasn't muddled at all and I'm just an inattentive viewer. But, to me, it sort of felt like "you already know magical girl shows. I don't need to explain this stuff. Just fill in the blanks for yourself." And the way the viewer didn't really understand what was going on felt like a mirror to how the adults never bothered to explain anything to the main characters. It was a pretty intriguing feeling all around

Also trying to not think too deeply about the relationship between Papika and Cocona because it's cute but also kind of hosed if you think about it too hard. so I just won't, so that it remains cute.

That's kind of the same feeling I got from flip flappers but you worded it much better than I could ever phrase it.

Out of curiosity, did you ever see yuri kuma arashi?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

no should I add it to my ever-expanding list

I dunno. I watched all of it and I remember it being decent. I'm sure other people will weigh in.

To be clear, your comments about flip flappers was what reminded me about yurikuma

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

give us the english dub of laid back camp, sony

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

17346721476C3278977763T732V731171888732476789764376

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

then again, it doesn't have any lower case letters or special characters so it's not really that secure

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

stay safe endorph ghost

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I somehow ended up with a 3 months free trial of crunchyroll so decided to watch anime for the first time in over a decade. What is the current good thing in slice-of-life/romance/comedy that I should be watching?

I decided to start my journey back into the world by re-watching all of Toradora! which both holds up very well and has a very frustrating last ~5 minutes.

slice-of-life
  • flying witch
  • laid back camp (season 1 is good but season 2 is hit or miss)

supposedly, "my dress up darling" is this season's romcom hit

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

Bruh let's raid wallstreet

netflix stock has cratered since fall of last year but it might be recovering now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bridgerton anime when

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Julias posted:

Happy Birthday Oscar Plutonis

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

by the way my birthday is tommorow

hbd stairmaster

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

my birthday was a week and a half ago

lotta wasted-potential life failures with March birthdays, it seems like

happy belated birthday

we are all life failures and successes, each and every one of us

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

there are no happy birthdays for me anymore

that happens to everyone after the age of 25 or 30, it's cool

All I want to do on my birthday is drink tequila and watch anime. I usually get to do one or the other but not both.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm supposed to write a birthday card for someone's birthday tomorrow but I think I'll just pour a shot and watch yurucamp, gently caress it, my heart's not in it right now

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

I just went on a 5-day excursion across 3 states to play a musical instrument I'm thinking about buying.

So... that happened.

was it a koto or a biwa

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

It was a trumpet. A really really hard-to-find trumpet made by a small company, and the place I went to was the closest place to me — and maybe the only place in the entire country — that had one in stock to try out. If there was anywhere closer I could've gone then Google and Reverb both didn't tell me.

Nice. I've been trying to get into trumpets but I've been working on my embouchure first.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Dude I cannot express how extremely my poo poo this was. I have mainlined the whole run of the manga in about 2 days.

:toot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Gimme a shout when you're ready to buy and I can help you pick out a good one. You don't wanna pick a bad one; I learned this the hard way.

I have a trumpet for beginners and I got in-person lessons. One lesson. I'll probably go back for more once my embouchure improves. I've been trying to find time to practice, though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Isn't Japanese one of the most functionally useless foreign languages to learn outside of Japan?

It's only used in that one part of the world and there's no similarities between it and any other languages that make learning it helpful for picking up other languages in the future. The effort-to-payoff ratio just doesn't add up.

Learning one foreign language can make it easier to learn other foreign languages that may share similarities. Like learning Korean.

Speaking of which, there's little use to learning Korean if you're not conducting business there or with Korean businesses, or unless you want to consume Korean pop culture. German, Italian and French don't have as much clout outside of Europe (except for countries that may use it as a second language, or notably Quebecois French in Canada). As an American, it's not measureably practical in dollars and cents to learn a new language, regardless of the language, in a general sense. But I'd still do it.

Practically speaking, if you really need to learn a specific language for a job, then the job will pay you to learn it. Otherwise, you should learn a language because you want to, and your strengthened connection to a new culture will leave you richer for it, and it just may pay off in ways you don't expect or realize.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

the time for esperanto is now

I first heard about Esperanto in college in the late 90s. It was from a fellow student that spun tales of a borderless language ideal for use as a common tongue in the international community. And if you could find another Esperanto speaker while traveling, they would be more likely than not to extend their hospitality.

I haven't thought of him nor Esperanto for decades until it was mentioned just now.

On the other hand, I continued to watch anime (there was a club on campus) and Japanese is still the only other foreign language (besides Spanish) that I hear on a daily basis.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

there is nothing i want less in life than to be a real gamer

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

From what I can tell, real gamers drink mountain dew and eat totino's pizza rolls and type real loud on mechanical keyboards.

Although I admit to using a mechanical keyboard (because I like keyboards that last more than a year or two), I drink black coffee and eat salads so my diet cannot accommodate the extreme energy and nutrients to be a real gamer.