Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Pinwiz11 posted:

Silky, who was eliminated third, won six times in a row with a series of ever more insane performances. Seriously:

Pinwiz11 posted:

...it’s easy to argue that queens were kept alive in the competition to further the pre-designed storyline.

:colbert:

But yes, l'm also feeling the... drag, of too much drag race. I gave up on UK3 after like, episode 4 or 5 after it was made clear that no matter how badly Krystal hosed up she'd never be sent home. I hate that they're not even trying to maintain the illusion that it's an actual competition anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

She did very well, but I don't think she won all of her lip syncs, although where I don't think she did, it was very close. She also said that she was told what each lip sync would be and had days to prepare for each lip sync whereas the queens she went up against had no time for preparation. She had a major unfair advantage, beyond just being one of Ru's all time favorites.

I am very much Not A Fan™ of "hey look I used a prop" lip syncs, and it frustrated me pretty badly that it kept working for her.
Same went for Shangela in All Stars 3; it's teaching future queens that props are the way to go and you can lean on them instead of performing ability, and even then the imitators aren't even doing it well.

Look at Sasha Velour, outfit reveals are now the standard and nobody is approaching doing them as artistically or powerfully as that one moment.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

"....What?!" Immediately followed up with cheers as Lizzo and Ru basically told Michelle to shut her white rear end up. :allears:

I'm not even sure that's what Ru was doing, though the editing sure made it seem that way.
The way Ru said "Now I know that type of music," with the leading inflection, really made it sound like she was about to say "but I also couldn't understand a drat thing you said" before it got cut out.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Oh right, I just now realized
Ru called Kornbread a star, yeah? Congratulations on the season 14 win! She deserves it I'm sure we'll see over the next 12 weeks.

(Though from what I've seen so far she just might. Definitely a better Silky.)

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I completely agree, but I also feel like both Kornbread (just realized, is that a Korn reference?) and Silky are going to get real sick of the comparisons by the end of the season, and I suspect some of the show's worst fans are going to find a way to be racist about it.

What's important and kind of funny is that nobody at all is comparing her to Kandy Muse, because god knows nobody on this planet believes she deserved her top 4 placement. Bloody big girl pass, man.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Her MtQ was very "I'm just here to express myself and have a good time, and hey, if I don't win, that's okay too" which is a big ol' Drag Race "death flag".

You have to WANT IT.
Just, you know, not as much as Jan.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

The RPDR official Youtube channel uploaded their top 10 most watched performances of 2021, and #1 was the Porkchop team. The other team wasn't even #2. That position was also taken up by Porkchop girls (you can probably guess which performance). Knowing how dirty they were done for the entire season but that the official account can't hide how much more popular they were brings this weird feeling of anger and vindication.

I love the seventeen "cut to Ru's stank face" moments because they needed to justify them losing the challenge :allears:
If you ever needed a hard example of Drag Race Gaslighting, this is it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Not sure on the winner - just another Davenport clone IMO. Would have easily handed it to Jasmine as their talent and runway knocked it out the park.

Yeaaahh same tbh
I just get the exact same vibes from every pageant queen that comes on, which shouldn't be surprising since pageants are selecting for exactly one extremely specific thing, I'm not excited yet.

That said I don't think I could really pick a winner either- I don't want to reward anyone for lip syncing (or prerecording a song :rolleyes:) in a goddamned talent show and the non lip syncs were just kinda eh this episode. I'd probably give it to the ballet.

This branding is so weird to me I just don't understand it. I'm guessing that it's the UK drag race branch that got the go ahead and Ru wants to make sure everyone knows it's not a "main" drag race entry?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

graynull posted:

Controversial but brave take incoming: I don't really like bringing the actual literal dress from an iconic look to the runway. It doesn't really tell me anything about you or your interpretation of the source. It's just the literal dress with you in it. Looked good, just didn't do much for me as a viewer.

My favorite was when somebody literally the rewore Raven's Season 2 finale look and the judges just acted like it wasn't happening.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

thrashingteeth posted:

Dragula really feels like the superior drag show to RuPaul in my opinion,

Can't disagree with this, but I really really wish they would drop the fear factor elimination bullshit, it really makes it unwatchable for me.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
In what universe was Baga safe?? I honestly think they're setting her up for a villain edit

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Mostly just echoing a bunch of what I've read in the thread already, but

- Quite disappointed to see Maddy go home, I don't think she ever really got to deliver on what she gives in her internet presence
- Kerri's outfit was absolutely abysmal, my god. "Stuff glued to a corset" but also no rhyme or reason, just hideous. If anyone needs a justification for the show being rigged it's that outfit being safe.
- I didn't hate Jorgeous' outfit as much as everybody else seems to, yes it was simple but it was quite cute and impressive for a last minute throw together. That said, it was a safe outfit, and nowhere near a win.
- Deja got shockingly positive critiques for that look imo.
- They are Janning the gently caress out of Daya Betty and it's working.
- They also seem to be Janning the gently caress out of Lady Camden and it is not working. Which is really disappointing, because she deserves better.
- I absolutely loved Willow's monster arms slut dress and I'm surprised nobody is talking about it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Wowee

That whole episode sure was a Jimbo character assassination, wasn't it? But she was still really fun and funny and charming the whole time anyway :( She deserved better

Raere posted:

Are they only keeping Baga for the viewers and other queens to hate her? She's so unlikable, and real talented queens are getting sent home in her stead. I would much rather another week of Jimbo on my TV than annoying poutyface. At least she's toned down the catchphrase.

loving seriously
They cut to the judges smiling Nine. Times. during that performance. Nine. To justify her being safe. She's even shocked every single week when they announce her safe.
Someone earlier was saying they're probably just riding her out until snatch game at which point she'll be fair game but I much, much rather wanted to see Jimbo in it. Ugh.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I've always said that's how it should be and now that it's happening I am all like "not like this." :(

But fair is fair.

I kind of hate the All Stars format for this, because in a vacuum fair is fair, but is it really?
Do you want to be the queen who sent Jujubee home early? You gonna just shoulder that one? Really?

Not to mention that in an actually fair universe Baga would have been gone episode 1 or 2

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I hate All Stars rules too, but given the fuckery with judging that has been going on with normal seasons for a while now, I'm not convinced we would have any more fair outcome with the producers alone deciding who goes home.

If they wanted the queens to actually have any agency, they'd have them collectively vote to decide on the bottom 2/3 as well.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Well that episode was a wet fart.

. :v: .

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Funny what the implication is that a season called UK vs the World ended up with a finale of only UK and US queens. Mo better have picked Baga.

This leaves such a weird taste in my mouth. It's like All Stars 2, which while an excellent season, was extremely Season 5-2, and the girls/production kept it that way.
I like the idea that they're going to try a new format but I have no doubt it's going to be just another "rigged behind the curtains so that the producers can do whatever they want" situation.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

The cast

Jaida Essence Hall. Jinxx Monsoon. Monet X Change. Raja. Shea Coulee. The Vivienne. Trinity the Tuck. Yvie Oddly.

What an unusual spread. Lots of lukewarm winners with a couple exciting standouts.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Agreed. I've been wanting this format for a while, but this cast is all pretty laid back and mild mannered. I don't anticipate a lot of drama.
Trinity and Monet specifically I'm like.... eugh. Neither of you really feel like you won to this day.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

A God drat Ghost posted:

yeah, this is a strange set. guess you never know how it'll work out. I am not at all a fan of including all-stars winners in this. it's the first season where they're doing this, give it to queens who have only been on once! it feels quite unfair.

I know I've heard several winners talk about how they'd never go back on drag race, and how they only have reputation to lose and nothing to gain. I could see their selection of strict winners being... limited

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Zvahl posted:

i propose we call the obvious fuckery of the chocolate bar chekhov's gia gunn

I love the theoretical :siren:28%:siren: chance that the chocolate bar is held by a queen that's going to make it to the top 4

But of course that isn't going to happen, it's going to show up at a pinnacle dramatic moment because :jerkbag:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

:perfect:

In fact, how do we shrink it for a new thread title?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Drag Race 2022: i propose we call the chocolate bar chekhov's gia gunn ?

I think just Chekhov's Gia Gunn would work

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

MizuZero posted:

what’s the thread’s prediction for top 4? to me Angeria, Willow, and Camden seem like guaranteed ins (whether by chocolate meddling or not) but that last slot could conceivably be any of the other 3. were Kornbread healthy I am almost certain it would have been her but my heart wants to say Jorgeous because I don’t see her losing any non-ballad lipsync

In a fair and just world it would probably be Bosco but who are we kidding they're going to launch Deja right to the top as always.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Willow has been my favorite since the beginning, but I feel like she peaked in the talent show. Not that she's been mediocre since then, but that it was such a high note to start on and she never really topped it. Too bad there isn't a makeover this season, I feel like that's one of the challenges Willow would slay.

I don't really disagree with this, but also it kind of made me think this season (or most seasons in general lately?) really lack an opportunity for performers like her to GET weird.
So much interviewing, singing and dancing, dress making, acting. There hasn't really been an opportunity for a Club 96 or a Branded Perfume or anything of the sort

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

28. Krystal Versace (not surprised, I think this was maybe the worst drag race crowning ever)

It's worth noting that a large segment of the drag race fandom is now 14-16 year olds.
I'm almost certain Krystal's win was a dedicated choice by production to have a young winner they could relate to.

It's hard to remember, but Drag Race hasn't actually been a competition for a very very long time.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
I like this season's gimmick for an all winners season but if regular All Stars were to adopt it I think they'd really need to integrate an actual penalty for doing poorly.

While this season has been fun it's all extremely... low stakes?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh yeah, I was really enjoying all of that discourse this week. Basically, this woman who is in charge of podcasting for New York Magazine said that Fire Island gets an F- on the Bechdel test, and called Margaret Cho drab or something. Twitter loudly mocked her, with meme after meme coming out about various things getting an F- on the Bechdel test. Alison Bechdel herself eventually came out and said that the Bechdel test was basically a joke and never intended to be used this way, and then she added the tweet quoted here.

I just did a quick googling, and apparently it hit mainstream news, and the original tweeter has apologized.

https://twitter.com/HannaRosin/stat...n%3Dtrueapp%3D1

I kind of hate that a legitimate criticism of a piece of gay media gets canceled because #stopasianhate
Like, Asian representation and queer representation are different animals, aren't they? And in a cliche gay movie where every character is a living cliche I think it's okay to point out that the lesbian representation is also negatively cliche? Can we stop devouring ourselves for a minute?

Maybe there's some nuance I'm missing here because I haven't read too deeply into the rabbit hole of replies but I dunno

Educate me if so!

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 9, 2022

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Queer Asian representation is featured rarely in Western film, and when it's there, it's rarely at the center and not the butt of a joke for simply being a gay Asian. And I'm not sure if you actually watched the movie, given that you're calling every character a cliche, when there was a wide variety of representation in the film. Just because you're bothered by the kind of gay men represented in the movie does not make them a cliche, or make it a worse film for it. And I don't think anyone was devouring anyone here, someone with a following on twitter made bad take, and people promptly mocked her with memes. She apologized, lesson learned.

Putting words in my mouth, sorry I don't like the movie you like :shrug:

I mean, I think that criticism would be more valid if the screenplay wasn't written by the main actor...who is a gay man. The director is also a gay man.

"They all act like stereotypes" rings hollow to me when talking about a movie actually written and directed by gay people, you know?

Well, so was Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds!
I don't think being queer sourced media places it above criticism and I really don't believe any queer films are above hollywood expectations
For Example: Why is everyone hot?

gandlethorpe posted:

Great challenge. Everyone did so well. But that was the wrooong lip sync song for that top 2. Like literally any of the other 6 would've killed that song.
I really really wanted to see Yvie lip sync that song, you could see how badly she wanted to and that lip sync outfit she had on was bangin'
I also kind of think they gave a pity win to Raja, she was good but I don't know about top 2 good

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 11, 2022

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

That script was awful, but I think the queens did as well as they could've with it, the director too. Runway was top tier.

I don't even know if that's true, it really felt like they were directed to ham up every single joke which just made it worse
For example, Karen in mean girls was airheaded and distant, but they just loved Trinity playing it up like a braindead toddler

Which.... as much as I love seeing these queens every episode I'm really missing the judges being allowed to criticize poor performances

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 2, 2022

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

blizzardvizard posted:

AS7 finale teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2deXSXeQIk

I expected the last challenge to be worth two stars, but three??? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCRz-_ZwsY&t=96s

Timestamp relevant
I bet an edit of this would do numbers on reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

IIRC Reddit wasn't exactly thrilled about Krystal winning UK3 and felt that a lot of strong queens were sent home unfairly. (I know there were many who thought Charity Kase deserved to stay longer; myself, I thought she had great ideas but the execution wasn't very polished.) I wasn't surprised by Krystal because of the "born to do drag" comment, Ella floundered in the last episode, and while Kitty was my fave, I didn't think they'd crown another comedy queen.

I felt especially weird about the already-pumped-full-of-plastic 18 year old being complimented on her natural born ability to do this.
And then after the third or so episode where her obvious crash and burn performance didn't land her bottom two I checked out of the whole season.