Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes the actual fight was pretty great. Matt Damon was ehh, and Ben Affleck was just pretty good. The bleached hair thing was stupid though, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ryan Reynolds is super annoying and unlikable. I can’t even imagine how bad a child version of him would be.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Have you thought about maybe changing the way you watch things instead of throwing a baby rage tantrum after you hate watch every single episode of a show you hate? Stop trying to "win" the show and pay attention to why things might be happening thematically instead of crying about "poo poo happening to happen."

Also the season isn’t even over yet?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Patriot is legit great

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Martman posted:

I'm amazed that Big Mouth has managed to inspire a spin-off series (Human Resources), and it seems... I dunno, it seems fine, if you loved Big Mouth I think it'll be worth watching. Mostly I wanted to open up a can of worms because it had a hilarious but potentially problematic background joke. One of the characters, Pete the Logic Rock, has an autographed photo of a big muscly brown bald man that says "Pete, you're MY Rock", signed obviously "Dwayne" although it's scribbled. Is The Rock being gay such an open secret these days that it's just part of the conversation of shows and stuff? I've always heard rumors and as a "blink and you'll miss it" gag I found that hilarious, but then I was like "hmm..."

It’s honestly pretty weird that you’d reach that hard to try to turn that into a gay joke.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

holy poo poo I didn't even pick up on that

He yells a name at the end! :banjo:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

???
"It's not "cracking down, it's just charging you more money for the thing you're already paying too much money for."
Are you on Netflix's board or something? There's no excuse to defending their bullshit "password sharing is making us lose so much money" narrative, much less acting like paying more money is a reasonable solution.

This is weirdly hostile. Of course they are losing money if 5 households are using one Netflix account.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it’s definitely a good show.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Django and the Hateful Eight are both great.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Equating those movies is worse than any one of your yankee takes.

What?

Also I don’t know if I’ve ever made any Yankee takes. I have the ability to not type every thought I have.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do not speak of the 3 true detective seasons as though they are one show. There was True Detective season 1, aka the best season of television ever made… True Detective season 2, a dumpster fire… and True Detective season 3, a somewhat decent show.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks for whoever recommended Love, Death + Robots. It’s got some really cool episodes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I watched Attack the Block just now and it was pretty bad…

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mystes posted:

The monsters were cool though

Yea they did a pretty good job with a minimal budget, I’ll give them that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Breaking Bad is better than the Sopranos don’t @ me

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

“I’m gonna feast on your face!”

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s not wrong though

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

precision posted:

It being good was never really in doubt; the question remains if there will be any point watching it if you've played the game. It looks like they're staying so faithful it'll be a big why bother

Why watch any movie or show then? The majority are based off something where you know what happens already if you’ve read/player/heard the source material. Something can still be entertaining if you know what is going to happen.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hereditary is phenomenal

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Artists and their labels probably not wanting random streaming services to make money off their music I'm guessing

Ok but what about the non-music stuff

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's gotten very expensive and there isn't a bunch of volume of stuff to watch if you have already seen most of the older HBO shows but it's highs are pretty high.

It’s $16. It’s basically the price of getting a sandwich for lunch. Once a month. In what world is that “very expensive” for a service you probably use for dozens of hours a month?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Some people are broke hth

There’s nothing wrong with that. But that doesn’t make it “very expensive”.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

In fairness I can afford it but 16 bucks a month to watch 1 show a week seems like a lot to me. ymmv

Yea if you are only watching one show I can see it not being worth it. In that case just wait until the season is out and pay for a month and watch the season over that month.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Leftovers was great. Nailed the ending too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

For those wondering, the picture on the desk was taken at Six Flags Great Adventure, but the two coasters featured didn't exist at that time.

Lol what? It’s a blurry rear end picture of two women.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

precision posted:

From is free to watch on mgm plus, presumably because season 2 is about to start.

It's basically "LOST by Stephen King" and has good production values, is actually scary, and the mystery is compelling. Deffo scratches the itch

Thanks for bringing this up. I had forgotten about it and now know season 2 starts this week!

Seconding that it’s good, definitely worth checking out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

it's hard to gleam whether the ending is supposed to signal that as awful as life was sitting the Maya-Toltec civilization was for a lot of people things were about to get much worse, or if it's trying to legitimize Spanish colonization as a kind of salvation; possibly death for the body but a saving of the soul.

It’s 1000% not salvation

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea if you enjoyed the first one at all it’s worth watching.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bro

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Not to be rude but in my experience every fit sixteen year person pretty much looks like that now. The high school swim team looks like that now (a bit skinnier but Fight Club'd to hell), the football players look like that now, the wrestlers look like that now. A physique that only a handful of genetically gifted and very dedicated guys when I was in school is now pretty common.

Either every single athlete at the local high school is juiced or the training techniques have improved in the 30 years since I was a kid. I'm gonna go with the latter.

A fast metabolism does wonders. Until I was 25 or so, I could literally eat anything I wanted at any time and have a six pack with 10% body fat. Now, not so much.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Leftovers ending was perfect

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nope.

The CUBE in CUBE is, diegetically, a literal gigantic CUBE. It’s clearly made of, like, metal and stuff. People are trapped inside it.

The point is your ability to interpret a thing, be it a CUBE, a work of art, or whatever. This is not only the ability to read without being passively told what to think, but also an ability to determine if a given explanation is wrong.

My go-to example is in The Matrix, where everything Morpheus says about the purpose of the matrix is flat-out scientifically inaccurate & contradicted by both what we’re shown and what we’re told by other characters. The sensible conclusion that Morpheus is just bullshitting - and, if that’s the case, how can we tell what the matrix is?

Another example is at the end of Pulp Fiction, when Jules presents multiple different interpretations of a biblical quote. Without direct confirmation from God Himself, how can we tell which is the ‘correct’ interpretation?

I have no idea if there’s even a point you’re trying to make anywhere in this

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Weeds was my first experience with that I think. but every showtime show I've seen has followed that pattern

been watching Warrior and its pretty sweet

Yea I enjoyed warrior. It did tail off a bit but not as bad as the typical showtime series. Isn’t there a new season coming out fairly soon?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea Severance is great. If you watch one thing on AppleTV, watch that . (Ted Lasso is a close second)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

As a non anime liker I was wondering the same thing. It's actually getting me interested in one piece

I’ve never watched any anime besides DBZ when I was 12 years old, but I started One Piece during my recent COVID quarantine and it’s entertaining enough to keep watching.

It’s not a masterpiece by any means but it’s silly and fun.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 14, 2023

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BonoMan posted:

It Follows is my fave horror movie of the past 10-20 years. Oh and Hereditary.

Hereditary is a masterpiece

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I cannot remember a single thing about The French Dispatch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Upsidads posted:

You watch with your eyes stupid

You clearly haven’t met his mom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Scavengers Reign on Max is really cool