Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can’t believe The Power of the Dog was nominated for so many Oscars. Especially from a story perspective was complete student film material, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
The French Dispatch just came out on HBO Max, if you like Wes Anderson.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Nihonniboku posted:

I just finished The French Dispatch on HBO Max. I'm a longtime fan of Wes Anderson films, and consider Rushmore and The Life Aquatic amongst some of my favorite movies.

This was maybe his worst movie. It was a boring slog, and contained none of the humor of most of his movies, only the quirkiness. I don't know what happened, but he seemed to think that he only needed the most talented actors paired with his trademark quirkiness and that he would have a successful formula for a film. While I blame none of the actors as it was all well acted, it felt like 3 hours when it was only 100 minutes.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was great, but I didn't care for Isle of Dogs. Hopefully his next project is better. I'll even take another Darjeeling Limited or Moonlight Kingdom which I consider some of his lesser works.

It's interesting to see how divided folks are on The French Dispatch. Maybe because it's just a series of vignettes? Personally, I liked it more than Darjeeling, Isle of Dogs or Grand Budapest.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can't put my finger on why exactly, but 'Our Flag Means Death' is not doing it for me so far. Maybe the writing is kind of bland, and it looks weirdly cheap?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Medullah posted:

Watched all of The Bear this weekend. Man, it's great, but Hulu needs to not have it classified as comedy. It's definitely drama.

Yeah, just started watching it and it’s good. I’m getting serious Terriers/Lodge 49 vibes though, I don’t think they know how to market it and it’s probably going to get 2 seasons max.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Yeah, just started watching it and it’s good. I’m getting serious Terriers/Lodge 49 vibes though, I don’t think they know how to market it and it’s probably going to get 2 seasons max.

Ok, finished The Bear today. The last two episodes are great. Go watch it! Really hope it gets renewed.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

precision posted:

just watched the premiere. absolutely stunning. nathan fielder is actually a sociopath and it owns

Please, PLEASE, let these people be actors.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Spacebump posted:

Prey is great. Anyone on the fence should watch.

For anyone who has watched Prey, do any dogs or animals get hurt? I’d heard there was a dog in it and am not in the mood to watch any animal suffering right now.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 6, 2022

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

A MIRACLE posted:

You can always check does the dog die dot com

Spacebump posted:

On dogs
A dog gets his foot caught in a trap, it isn't bad compared to how they could have gone. He whimpers a little but the film doesn't linger on it.

On other animals
the Predator skins a snake on screen, kills a few animals offscreen, and fights a bear. A bird is shot with an arrow from distance. The dog catches a small animal at one point.

Thank you both!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Spacebump posted:

I forgot about that scene. Crap. frogbs you should read that spoiler. I apologize if you started the movie and that part bothered you.

No worries! And thanks Spacebump! I'm gonna avoid it for the time being. Thanks all!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Field Mousepad posted:

Breaking Bad/Predator show let's fuckin do this

Bryan Cranston could absolutely pull off being the lead in a Predator-ish action movie.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Papercut posted:

The lastest episode of rings of power was pretty good. I really like all the hobbit side story stuff, it's by far the most interesting part with the best costumes. The Durin plot is second best. The Numenor stuff is pretty boring but I still like Galadriel.

I have exactly the opposite reaction, I can't stand the Hobbit stuff for some reason.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I wish there was an easy way to aggregate all my streaming subscriptions together and just say 'show me every available movie where Roger Deakins (or whoever) was the cinematographer, starting with the earliest'. Even having to go to JustWatch is too much. Where's my future mind tv movie instant gratification service.

Edit: And yes, the Blade Runner stuff made me think of this. Also, it's a good movie.

SCheeseman posted:

2 failed Andor pilots were made and abandoned

That's the first i've heard of those, were they made with the same cast? Different producers/crew?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

how is Tales from the Loop?

Did they actually make a quality show adapted from a loving art book lol

I thought most of the episodes were pretty great. Great soundtrack too. Devs also came out the same year, and if you're into melancholy sci-fi I recommend you check it out too. I think it's on Hulu.

precision posted:

Aside from a couple jokes he seemed more to be a Steve Jobs type than Elon

Jobs wouldn't have hung out with randos either, though

This makes me wonder if Steve Jobs ever threw a party. I read him as way more Elon though.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Medullah posted:

Netflix cancelled 1899. Man that show had potential only to throw it all away for the worst ending in forever

It was also one of the first shows to use 'the volume', which makes me think it was still pretty expensive to produce. 'The ocean behind you' can be handled pretty well by a green screen, surprised they went to all that effort when most of the series was inside the cabins of the ship anyway.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I actually liked the ending of 1899, bummed that we're not going to get any more of it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

A MIRACLE posted:

i put on shrinking. they do the trope where the dad is trying to connect with his kids by making a big breakfast and they just leave with a pop tart

harrison ford calls jason segel a dipshit so you have that to look forward to

its ok so far i'm just not ready to care about any of these characters and it feels like the show is going to try to make me care

I like Shrinking well enough, but it feels to me like the moment Harrison Ford signed up they completely rewrote all the scripts at the last minute to give him more screen time. All the meetings he has with the girl in the park, the many scenes where he's talking to someone on the phone. It all feels like it was added later or something. It makes everything feel disjointed.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

A MIRACLE posted:

frances ha is cool. its like a jarmusch movie. maybe i'm only saying that because its in black and white but it also reminds me of permanent vacation a bit

really taps into that 2010s east coast hipster thing, but that was also just how people who wanted to be authentic or whatever actually behaved and talked. I would know

frances herself doesnt' read as a hipster to me, she's just an idiot with hipster friends

its pretty funny

Never put this together until now, but Noah Baumbauch is just mainstream Jim Jarmusch.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FishBowlRobot posted:

Speaking of Party Down, that new season trailer don’t look so hot.

https://youtu.be/Ad3ELGjAG7c

Am I going crazy, didn’t Party Down already come back once? Wasn’t there a movie or something?

Edit: it’s possible I’m confusing it with Veronica Mars…

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

veni veni veni posted:

The Chris Rock thing was allright, but the dude is clearly way past his prime. He hosed up his finale joke and had to backpedal and repeat half of it. Lots of repeating stuff throughout the whole thing tbh. Also content wise, it's just what you'd expect out of a grumpy dude in his late 50's.

I noticed they hosed up his intro, the announcer had to say 'Ladies and gentlemen!' twice, and you could see Chris just start to go onstage and then backtrack. I wonder how much getting off on the wrong foot like that can mess you up for the whole set. He did do the repeating the same line thing a lot, which I think has always been a part of his act. Not sure if he uses that as a way to stall so he can remember the next bit, or if he just uses it to milk a few more laughs through repetition.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Enos Cabell posted:

Yes, Madam! was a lot of fun. Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock just totally kicking rear end.

Wait, where is this treaming? Is it the 4k transfer from a few years ago?

B-Movie Bingo at the Hollywood Theatre in Portland seems to show a Rothrock movie at least a few times a year. If anyone in the area hasn't checked it out, it's always a great time IMO.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

precision posted:

I think any thoughtful piece of media made by someone who grows up black in America will, as a matter of course, have something to say about racism, even accidentally

Same with queer artists or any group that's been highly persecuted

I cant remember where I read this take, but it was something like: Nope is about a big white thing in the sky that kills a black man in the film industry by (literally) showering him with money.It definitely reads as an allegory for the entertainment industry as a whole.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
The first episode of White House plumbers sucks so hard. Not sure why they went the Veep route with it I know it’s from one of the Veep people, but still. A more straightforward drama with this cast could have been great.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Shageletic posted:

I'd watch Gaslit (one of my top shows of last year!).

It’s on my list! Loos like it’s got a stacked cast too. Need to get Starz I guess. The crazy thing is that White House Plumbers started production BEFORE Gaslit, was filmed in fall 2021, and then they sat on it for a year and a half. I don’t think they really knew what to do with it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Deadite posted:

I think you just described exactly why I like Reservation Dogs, guess now I have to watch The Bear

They’re both up there with the best shows on tv, for sure.

The Bear S2 has a few absolutely killer episodes, the Christmas dinner one is amazing, but I think ‘Forks’ with Richie was the standout for me. Just all around perfect.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Hot Wheels staring Dwayne Rock comin 2025

Edit: lmao actually read the article and seems like this is a very real possibly. Hot wheels staring Dwayne Rock from Jayson Abrams 2025.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 3, 2023

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked The Creator, on Hulu, overall, albeit mostly for the art and ideas. Some of the things it put on the screen looked like cover and concept art I always wished had a place in movies when I was a kid; the mega-architecture, the combination of human-like and obvious robots, the giant floating missile platform Nomad, it was all very satisfying to see and they knew exactly how to shoot it. They loved the profile shots with the androids, if you like seeing the weird, whirring mechanics in the back of their heads don't worry, you're in for a lot of it. I do wonder why, if they're just trying to live in peace among the humans, they don't cover it up or at least better protect the literal standby and off switches that they don't seem to know are easily accessible on the back of their head. I loved that people who weren't used to AI were shocked at how human they were, and even I was startled by the post-mortem interrogation scene (I think that's actually been in a few things before now that I'm thinking about it, but I don't remember it being like that). Plot-wise it was about as predictable as any sci-fi movie written for normal people, but the big laser cross hair sweeping across the landscape, giving you a different perspective on how high space is and how big the ship is, carries it for you.

I've only just started watching this, and it has one of the weirdest needle drops i've ever seen. 'Everything In It's Right Place' during an action scene just did not do it for me.

Hoping they set a car chase to 'True Love Waits', or maybe 'Hey Ya'.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Papercut posted:

The tone of the movie is very much all over the place. Like at one point the protagonist recruits a van full of children to smuggle him across the border, then almost gets them all killed with seemingly zero remorse about that or concern for their safety, and then it's played for laughs with the protagonist asking if any of the kids had fun. It's just a major ?????

Yeah, the movie alternates between caring for the lives of people and robots, or not giving a poo poo at all. It's all over the place.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Just watched Asteroid City on Prime. I'm usually a fan of Wes Anderson, but I gotta say, every single character in this movie speaks exactly the same way and it gets super tiring. It's like every character is Bill Murray in The Royal Tenenbaums. I know it's part of his whole thing, but I think it went a little too far this time.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Wolfsheim posted:

Fun fact: the Coens hate this show and do not want people to mention it around them!

Do you have a source for this? I thought they said they didn’t mind that it existed, but wouldn’t watch it, or something like that.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I watched the first episode of VOIR, which is a collection of essays on movies that mattered to the essayist.

The first one was from a gal who was 10 years old when JAWS came out. It started out extremely good and hit me hard, but the last ~7 minutes devolved into a truly bizarre screed about how teenage boys ruined the moviemaking industry. It was so offputting and poorly reasoned that I don't particularly want to watch the rest of 'em.

I watched this too and couldn’t finish the first episode. WAY different than I was expecting, since this was from the Every Frame a Painting people. What a weird episode of tv.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I unintentionally watched BEEF and Mr. & Mrs. Smith back to back, and they’re actually extremely similar shows. Personally loved BEEF, I thought it had a lot more to say while also being more nuanced and thoughtful.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Poor Things is on Hulu and I hate basically everything about it. The cinematography is interesting, but everything else about the movie is so dissonant and gross.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I decided to watch Looper again, and man, I forgot how distractingly weird Joseph Gordon Levitt’s Bruce Willis impression is. I guess it didn’t bother me the first time I watched it.

I don’t know why they felt the need to use makeup to make him look more like Willis. Or they should have cast someone else, I feel like Casey Affleck sort of looks the part, and probably wouldn’t do a weird pseudo Elvis eyebrow thing the whole time like JGL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Papercut posted:

Outlast on Netflix tried to bill all of its contestants as hardcore survivalists and then on day 1 they're exploring the area and this person drank water straight from the pond while all their teammates were like wtf you need to filter it first wtfffff and then they dropped out the next day hahaha

lol this happened on Alone too. A guy thought that moss would filter some water from an EXTREMELY lazy ‘stream’.