Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Does this game go on sale very often? I've played the first two extensively and desperately want to play an ogre campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks guys, one more question: Did they ever change horde mechanics, loyalty, and food? That stuff killed whole campaigns for me, made them unplayable

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So how do warriors of chaos function now? And beastmen? They take cities like everyone else?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

you must not have played in a while as beastmen got updated at the tail end of WH2 but yeah the herdstone mechanic is huge for them to feel viable and not one loss away from campaign ending

Warriors of Chaos can also make smaller tier 1 settlements, as well, but they're trash and mostly for replenishment / increasing chaos corruption

So just to be clear, if I lose an army I don't lose all the buildings that were in it? Cuz that was what made me start woc like 4 times and quit.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That sounds awesome!

Have there been any updates to norsca?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nurgle ice trolls.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Randarkman posted:

They did actually change stuff about their campaign for IE though. Mostly economic stuff.

But your question also begs the question of "how would Norsca be made fun to you" "why is it not fun to you?".

I really enjoy norsca and it's probably the campaign I play most after orcs.

That said, they need some units who are better at sieges. Their lineup has no war machines, few fliers, and their elite infantry is way too expensive to use en masse. They need more stuff for walls especially since their lords don't fly.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Improving Bretonnia's siege capabilities doesn't mean you have to give them infantry. You could, for example, give trebuchets a bonus vs walls making the cavalry much more useful in a siege.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, with the waaagh target city if I raze the city and someone else reoccupies before the waaagh ends does that count as a success?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Have they changed norsca in 3? Or is it largely the same as 2?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Personally, if someone butchered my entire empire I'd love him forever.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Don't sleep on empire cavalry, especially hippogryph riders vs chaos. They come with an anti-large version that is really good too. Steam tanks are super useful vs chaos infantry as well especially cuz chaos doesn't really have any ranged power to bring it down. The bonus cannon it brings is great to fire on their monsters too.

Edit: oh, and Ditch the mortars for hellblaster volley guns. They do wonders against armor.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 14, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I've seen talk of a norsca rework any news on that?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

What is a good empire composition for fighting chaos dwarves? I've never fought them before, they just declared war on me, and I don't want to be hard countered.

I expect my halberdiers to be worthless.

What tier of tech do you currently have?

Ap everything should go without saying, possible exception being swordsman for cheap line infantry.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Just reached 4 but no stables anywhere. Haven't had a chance to recruit any of the t4 artillery yet.

Mobility is your biggest advantage so I was going to say hypogriff riders as the perfect counter but :/

Handgunners and hellblaster volleyguns will work too. Cannons are good vs enemy artillery.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm still playing WH2 but giants need some sort of buff, some sort of differentiation between factions. Give the norsca giant strider and movement speed, the chaos giant some armor, etc.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't know if the buffs happened in WH2 already, but in WH3 they aren't as terrible as they used to be after lots of stat buffs and 15% missile resist, generic still yes, but Festus loves his giants with how much healing Nurgle can put out to keep them active (I think they are the only one with access to giants and healing magic)

In fact, Nurgle even gets a unique giant with a unique attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Wmpz_aFRE

I looked up their stats in WH3 and they are massively buffed. 3k more hitpoints, 100 more dmg, missile resistance, wall breaker, much better units. Glad to see it, they are probably my favorite unit and its a shame they were so bad.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rock Lobbers and trolls are your early seige/anti dwarf. Grimgor himself will mulch the dwarves pretty well.

Edit: At least they were in old versions.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Just finishing up the dwarf vortex campaign very fun, reminds me why I love the dwarves. Something so satisfying about pointing 2 organ guns at a lord and watching it vanish. I remember them boosting flame cannons a while back so I tried them out and holy moly.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

I played through the Norsca campaign and I'm guessing it might be bugged? When I got to my allegiance up to the highest level I got a cut scene and a powerful Chaos army appeared near one of my undefended settlements, so I raised my new super Lord of Change and readied for a difficult fight... and then the enemy just wandered off? A few turns later I was able to take part in 'the final battle', killed the enemy and won. That can't be right...

Did you side with WoC or oppose them?

Edit: If you challenge the WoC your job will be to exterminate them, which they might do by themselves just fighting other armies.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

I didn't get any option like that. I did read up a bit online and that is a thing that happens but I wonder if it was only in 1 and 2? Since there's no Chaos invasion in TWH3...

Oh, right, yeah. Idk.

Sucks if you can't get the universal 75% upkeep reduction in wh3.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Chosen with healing is bananas powerful.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Blood knights really need healing to get value out of them, but they benefit amazingly from it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Black Knights seem to be way, way more effective than their stats would suggest.

If you're talking about the ones with lances that charge bonus is bananas for cost.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I find that the green skin monsters fulfill the same role as cavalry for most needs.

Their anti-large is really bad tho. Orc boar boy biguns are the closest you get to end game anti-large, and they are not adequate to take on dinos.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think the perception that wolf riders are trash comes from their role and starting position. One of the things that they excel at is taking out missile units, but the first missile unit they come across are quarrelers which are tough as nails and can sometimes win a combat vs wolf riders because of their high leadership and armor. But in reality wolf riders are great against just about anything else that shoots.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

WoD is the reason I hesitate to put all my necromancers on corpse carts. Sticking them on a normal horse helps them get much better angles.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I keep trying to play through a high elf game in WH2 but they're just so boring. Same with dark elves :shrug:

Keep getting pulled into a vc game cuz of how interesting their campaign and battle mechanics are, which is funny cuz one of my other favorite factions is dwarves which are the polar opposite.

Come to think of it, all the wh1 factions are very interesting and unique to play and the elves just feel very.....standard. Stereotypical fantasy, I guess.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Any suggestions as UD as to how to vassalize fellow undead? WH2.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Has the addition of wallbreaker units changed seiges in WH3?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Agents just do so much good poo poo for your army and can be difficult to get. The exception is necromancers which basically grow on trees.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Are miners civilians?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

In the old ogre book they had access to "cathayan longswords" that I always assumed were just katanas so I dunno why cathayan is all of a sudden Chinese now? Was it always Chinese and I'm dumb?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh ok, makes sense.

I dunno why there's so much hate for swordsmen, they are perfectly adequate linesman.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tilia looks like there is room for a faction especially since norsca has a tech for them like every other faction.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I know it's just because GW's internal data says they don't sell as well but lol at GW not including either Lizardmen or Skaven, their two most unique armies, in the old world core races. At least they got Tomb Kings right.

Teen me was edgy and played VC/Dark Elves so he would also be disappointed, but from what I've heard 8E VC would not have interested me, a Von Carstein hater, at all anyway. Kinda like VC in this game in that way! I guess since I'm not gonna play old world either way this just proves GW right in who they're targetting though.

I think the original 4 factions (chaos was half assed at launch) were a really good mix of unit types and strategies. You had two factions with elite infantry, two without. Two with awesome cavalry, two without. Two with a bunch of minsters, two without. Two with great range options, two without. Two with disposable chaff, two without. Etc.

It made 4 very unique armies with a certain amount of overlap and a LOT of variety in play style.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think companies have figured out that people are willing to pay money for games even if they have bugs so they just don't allocate as many resources to fixing them.

On top of that, certain players are willing to fix those bugs for free so there's no reason to pay someone to do it at all.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Playing a grom campaign now and my goblins start with almost 50 melee/defense right out of the box. That's before the meals which can give them regen, damage resistance, exploding arrows, 20% casualty replenishment, etc.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Party In My Diapee posted:

They aren't even fixing critical bugs when they finally do release patches. How long have bloated corpses been broken? I'm personally not sure why people aren't more upset with them and are still ready to buy yet another game/dlc.

They keep releasing free stuff for orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Playing WH2 as grimgor and lordy lord are the orc archers low key powerhouses. They gain every single benefit from the orc infantry redline buff AND the various orc infantry tech bonuses which means that my rank 0 archers have nearly 40 melee attack, 40 melee damage, and 28 ranged damage.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 30, 2023