Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just want to take Imrik north to aid his dragon waifu/husbando, I hope Immortal Empires comes out in like two or three months after game release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ooh, I hope somebody will link the review vid, I always forget to check Mandalore's channel.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ad090 posted:

Found in the game files:

This would be amazing, way beyond what I considered the most likely combined map. It would still need some kind of teleport or theater mechanic to make going from Lustria to Cathay for example not take dozens of turns. I guess if the chaos rift spawns are also part of the combined map, that would be one solution. But combined with the settlement names found in the files, I'm super stoked for Immortal Empires!

Noonsa posted:

Why do people in this thread call it Immortal Empires? It's Mortal Empires. Is there a reference I'm missing?

It's simply the fan name of the combined map, to distinguish the WH2 combined map (Mortal Empires) from the WH3 combined map. Also, the WH2 map mostly had empires of mortals, while there are way more immortals in WH3 (all the chaos factions plus Cathay).

Edit:

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

*Heavy Breathing Intensifies*

Oh man, are those even provinces down on Chaosarctica?

What is that giant landmass East of what is presumably Ind?

This gets my hope up that the Mortal Empires 3 map will be circular. You've got the entire map, one big projection. I'm not sure the engine can handle a big rotating map though. :(

This was an overlay of the WH3 map over an old Warhammer Fantasy world map from Games Workshop:

So that's not Nippon but indeed Kuresh, as one poster speculated.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 17, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I thought they wanted to tell us the roadmap for Immortal Empires and DLC last week, did I misunderstand something? Was it this week?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq06JLrsz20

Really interesting speculation that the Immortal Empires map might not require owning WH2 and WH1. Reason being that this would enable new players to play the big map and see all the factions they're missing, incentivizing them to buy those race DLC. And it would also make it possible to release DLC for races that are not on the WH3 campaign map. Which all sounds plausible to me, so if CA do go this route, it's at least a small hint that getting Ind or Kuresh factions in-game might be a bit more likely than we thought.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The new outpost system is honestly one of the best things that Total Warhammer has ever gotten. Yes, I do want Terracotta Sentinels in my Dawi army very badly. This will be sooo much fun, I can hardly wait for Immortal Empires.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Grimson posted:

It's called Mortal Empires, you guys.

Mortal Empires.

A CA rep has called it the "Immortal Empires" map when they discussed that the leaked map was real, but also a very early prototype. So I think you're wrong.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I didn't really mind this with the Cathay campaign since they had quite a few features that made it feel distinct but trying to play as one of the daemons just feels like a complete return to form on the strategy layer. Map painting, slamming the same building template in each territory, not much need to bother thinking ahead at all.

Yes, this. I think they struck a pretty good balance between total Harmony being very powerful, and giving us the tools to remain at that spot. I found the mini-game of managing my Harmony pretty engaging, it's imho not at all a chore to keep building spots open or plan your tech research in a way that any yin or yang gains were balanced out by side-grading buildings or recruiting heroes and the like. I've really enjoyed my Cathay campaign. Plus caravans, of course.

Then I tried Khorne and just stopped after 20 turns.

I don't regret my purchase, and I'm now trying out the not-so-favored son, who's also quite fun. But all the staying power of Warhams 3 will come from Immortal Empires.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I also don't think the game is fundamentally unsalvageable? Biggest issues are the chaos realms with the victory race, which will probably be a total non-issue in Immortal Empires, a number of bugs and stability problems, which hopefully get fixed in the not so distant future, and most factions not being as fleshed out as the WH2 factions after dozens of DLC, which is again just a matter of time and DLC releases.

Look at release WH2 Skaven to see that WH3 is no worse in that regard than WH2. Or just think of an iconic HE unit like the Sisters of Avelorn, and then remember that this is a DLC unit that wasn't in at launch. Weaknesses in the faction's rosters will be fixed, and disappointing LLs will get buffed. I think release Teclis didn't have a mount at all, or only a horse at most. Now he can ride an awesome phoenix.

And please remember that WH2 uniquely gained more players during it's lifetime than it had on release. CA surely already budgeted a certain amount of DLC sales for WH3 over 5 years or so into their business plan, there's no way they will abandon a potential cash cow like WH3. Comparisons to Three Kingdoms are simply not valid.

As for me, I stopped playing the game, but I know I will return once Immortal Empires comes out at the latest, or maybe once mods can do away with the victory race and I can just casually play the campaign. I don't consider the game to be a failure at all, but your mileage may vary obviously.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ravenfood posted:

I could be misremembering but I thought ME and the workshop were both delayed by the Norsca thing and that they were both supposed to be available at launch. Also while everyone settled out now I remember people being pissed that Norsca got reverted.

Yes, there's some historical revisionism going on in this thread. There's a reason the whole Norsca thing is usually called the "Norsca debacle". People found Norsca really fun to play in WH1 and were unhappy that it wasn't part of WH2. And then they were even more unhappy when Norsca was finally released, because the faction wasn't half as fun in WH2 than it was in the first game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh god, I just now realized that I will be able to field great archers or infantry in my Bretonnian armies, and I simply can't wait to try that.

fake edit:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lol GW doing another price rise.

Oh? What's going up in price, models?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, Norsca's campaign is the issue. Battle-wise they're actually quite fun.

It's really that they haven't been touched since WH1 at all. When they first released, they were considered one of the best, possibly THE best, DLCs for WH1. But their playstyle did not translate well to WH2, and unlike the Wood Elves, they haven't gotten an update to fix this.

You would think it can't be that hard to make them good again, Wood Elves have a fun campaign where they don't have to worry too much about their limited home settlements and just zap around the world doing stuff (and often razing settlements in the process). In theory, if you had some kind of mobile settlements as Norsca, and if non-chaos factions had a much slower campaign range in not-Scandinavia, you could achieve a similar effect. Then you'd only need some rebalancing of the economy (while keeping the general economic mechanic of "need to raid and raze to keep out of the red"), and perhaps a look at their dilemmas and god boons.

And I'm extremely curious how they will implement Warriors of Chaos in Immortal Empires. Because if there's a contender for "worse campaign than Norsca", it's WoC. Surely they won't just get folded into the other 5 chaos factions?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Scandalous posted:

On behalf of Royal Kislev Tourism Board and under watchful eye of Akshina Vocational Dissident Reeducation Programme I invite you visit glorious nation of Kislev. Our motto: Is Fine.

Visitors to Kislev encouraged through appropriate force to start tour in Kislev City, home of stunning Bokha Palace and secret Evelina Bebchuk Cloning Facility. Currently Bokha Palace largely unoccupied as Tzarina Katarin taken entire contingent Tzar Guard and Ice Guard on journey through glowing hell portal now conveniently located in walking distance of recently re-re-re-built city walls. Gossipy Patriarchs whisper treason, suggest leaving capital undefended during period of national crisis is sign of weak and foolish leader. Tzarina Katarin graciously offer Patriarchs opportunity to travel through glowing hell portal to realm of poo poo and snot themselves, spend four turns in bath when finished, see how like it. Few takers.

Kislev famed throughout Old World for snow but also boast miles of beautiful coastline. Here visitors from further north soak in rays on sunny beaches of Castle Alexandronov, recently rebuilt after terrible small-dick ex of Tzarina Katarin burn down in fit of pique. Castle Alexandronov and rest of Troll Country recently return to bosom of greater Kislev when greasy idiot Kostaltyn come sneaking back into Bokha Palace in middle of night, dump deeds to province on Tzarina's desk and start squatting in attic after losing popularity contest. Tzarina Katarin not asked if she want burning toxic oblast full of marauders and portals to turd dimension, did not have say in matter, scream at Kostaltyn but lank hair imbecile say 'no backsies' and run away. Now economy in shitter due to disbanded lords sitting on substitute bench triple-dipping salaries and useless churches everywhere despite Tzarina Katarin smashing big red button marked INVOKE DAZH on cooldown every twenty turn.

Prior to ignominious return to Ice Court with tail between legs Kostaltyn get smooch from crab lady and now have thing about shirtless dwarfs and putting things up nose, hands out pamphlets inviting to 'Sweat Night at Bear Cave'. No longer allowed unsupervised with Evelina Bebchuks.

While both Kislev people and Kislev food consistently ranked tolerable-to-good according to recent survey conducted by Akshina Bureau of Opinion Polling and Thumb Severing, recent incidents of sudden and severe depopulation mean Royal Kislev Tourism Board like to take opportunity remind visitors not confuse the two.

Here giant red screaming beast showing multiple large forces of chittering rat persons famed nightlife of Novchozy by smashing open walls with flaming axes and letting verminous hordes flood through, much to consternation of local Ataman whose defiant last words "You must be loving kidding me" now adorned newly rebuilt gate, sadly since destroyed by second wave with huge pestilent catapult devices who enslave residents and burn down again. Kislev is honoured to be melting pot for numerous cultures to meet and bond over shared interests like slaughter and pillage.

Even death no barrier to charms of Kislev! Here busloads of tourists from Sylvania receive customary Kislev welcome from stern woman on giant bear, having travelled long distance unimpeded over lands of their enemies just to visit bland featureless town of Igerov. Kislevites not vitalist, our nation welcome all with pockets full of gold to be looted from freshly re-interred corpses.

Many tourists flowing into Kislev lately from soft decadent Empire, desperate to see charms of superior nation and also flee burning, ogre-ridden husk of former country. Some holdouts remain, mostly sending untrained spearmen levies at each other in middle of toxic swamps and all dying immediately. Is different culture, not Kislevite place to judge.

Kislev formerly have embassy from elves of Laurelorn, enjoy cordial relations with weird tree kissing ponces. Suddenly start getting REALLY keen for Kislev to join military alliance and for Tzarina to "invest" thousands of gold in upgrading outpost in their big compensatory tree before go very, very quiet. Now when Tzarina pick up Elf Hotline nothing but heavy breathing and giggling on other end, so not much change really come think of it.

Similarly visitors from northerly dwarf kingdom Kraka Drak vanishingly rare. Previously Tzarina Katarin run cultural exchange program for try help dwarfs deal with insane Chaos corruption preventing dwarfs bumping uglies and growing settlements, but sadly now ended after Dwarf King Cromson keep sailing into sea on pleasure cruise and letting home get blown up by shambling green stinkmen with skull grenades.

Recently weird old man following Tzarina around with noisy book say Tzar Boris still alive inside giant crystal prison at Frozen Falls. Tzarina ask him to speak up, cannot hear over cataclysmic devastation occuring around clock at all times day and night, will get around to it when get five loving minutes and anyway, father stuck in ice chunk for years already, little longer not make difference.

In conclusion please visit land of Kislev, bring money and also gun if can use, thank you

I legit laughed the whole time while reading this, 10/10, amazing comedy.

Edit: Quoting the whole thing due to this lovely page snipe, don't miss this seriously great post!!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is apparently an easy mod to disable the campaign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_fQAylkxYY

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deketh posted:

Have they patched the supply line bug yet? Not seen anything mentioned about it but I can't believe it's still ongoing

Also, if it hasn't been posted already, there's a mod that adds a menu toggle to turn off the campaign narrative. Just a file copy and paste, no editing required.
https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/tacm52/chaos_realms_narrative_toggle/

Edit: oh come on, Torrannor please go see Nurgle for immediate punishment

The more they see this mod, the better :)

I don't have a lot of time now to test it out, but I will definitely try it out once I get back from work.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Correct

I gotchyu fam.

Thanks. Those are some good changes, but the timeframe here leaves a bit to be desired. But I think the mod will tide me over until the patch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think CA aren't sweating those numbers yet. Immortal Empires might very well turn this around substantially. The game itself also sold well, so the next real measure of success will be DLC sales.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OwlFancier posted:

cathay is the best faction though?

It genuinely is, and is the one I'm most excited about playing on the IE map, followed by the Ogres.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

WarEternal posted:

Total War games desperately need a way to play a campaign without actually interacting with a campaign map or dealing with town sieges and poo poo at all.

Like, an adventure mode where you progressively make decisions that branches or something. The campaign map is so loving boring to me.

On the other hand, I would instantly stop playing Total War games if there was no campaign map. But I'm coming from very map-centric Paradox games, if you only care about having cool battles then I can absolutely understand why you don't like it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I remember when Disguised Toast did a video on how much money he made streaming Hearthstone, and it was a lot. Really a lot. But his income didn't come from Blizzard, it came from Youtube and Twitch. So unionizing against the video game companies doesn't make much sense to me.

One should also recognize that CA leaving the marketing to the streamers was not a one-sided deal. The streamers make money with every person who clicks their vids, and they definitely got more clicks because they could show off material of the upcoming game that nobody else got access to, leading to more clicks and more money.

That said, forming a guild to give more structure to their employment (and maybe make it so that they don't have to feel the need to stream far too many hours each day) sounds like a fine idea in general.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Designing chorfs sounds like it's pretty difficult. So lorewise you'd have to start with chorf lords with exclusive non-chorf units until T4 or perhaps T3, but people probably want to play chaos dwarves, not orks/hobgoblins led by chorfs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

smug jeebus posted:

Isn't Karl the Elector-Count of Reikland?

Yes, but also the Emperor, so that doesn't really count (no pun intended).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Twigand Berries posted:

I don't think anyone is waiting to do the big map lol

it's just going to be awhile

i think they call it "managing your expectations" which means always expect the worst possible outcome

I've enjoyed my time with WH3 so far, but I don't plan on playing it again until the big map comes out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's strange, but while I have no desire to play the "normal" WH3 campaign again, I'm extremely excited for the Immortal Empires map. The alliance/outpost system gives you the ability to try out so many unique army compositions, I can't wait to play around with those. To be honest, even just backporting that single feature into WH2 would make me immediately jump back into Mortal Empires.

But then there's also the caravan system that I hope more races than just Cathay will use (and I'm reasonably certain that this feature will be expanded to other races, even if it probably will only comes in the form of DLC or FLC). And the fact that the leaked map is a lot bigger than I thought we'd get is also really promising. Based on how WH3 plays, I'm sure I can wring at least a dozen fun playthroughs out of Immortal Empires. With WH2 races. And probably at least half a dozen more with the new WH3 factions.

So I'm both really hyped for the big map in WH3, and totally uninterested in the small map campaign of WH3. Which I guess is a strange attitude to have.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I get that, I just don't think it makes for as enjoyable a story as one where Chaos can be forced back and beaten. That's one reason I like the Total War version of Warhammer; you can clearly defeat Chaos, push back their Hordes, and spread Order.

Given that Warhammer is also based on an older series of novels (Eldred or something) where Chaos and Order gods are constantly fighting for supremacy, and where if either side "wins" it's actually bad, I think it's weird that they chose the nihilism route.

I think Michael Moorcock was the big author who mainstreamed the order vs. chaos thing, and he also invented the eight pointed chaos emblem iirc.

And yes, in those books, the Cosmic Balance is very much the force for "good", with order or chaos winning both being undesirable outcomes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Double Bill posted:

Blood pack in August, IE not even this year... even my most pessimistic estimates were way off. The skeleton crew has taken over the project already.

Here's to hoping the next TW is Medieval 3, and they don't gently caress it up.

Immortal Empire comes in August, see the IMMORTAL EMPIRES (BETA) bullet point. And Q4 has updates focused on Immortal Empires.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A week after the disastrous road map was released Warhammer 2 has now taken a commanding lead over Warhammer 3 boasting about 50% more players.

Because WH2 is the better game for now. But I'm confident that this will change with the IE release. I like WH3 better mechanically, the whole diplomacy system for example is leagues ahead of WH2. But the factions (apart from Cathay) are not as fun as a lot of the WH2 factions, while the campaign mostly sucks, like Vortex did. When Immortal Empires gets released, we'll have the best of both worlds. The mechanical improvements, additional factions and bigger scope of WH3, combined with the old WH2 and WH1 factions, and a campaign that's more sandbox-y.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If they are making small updates to the WH3 campaign map, how about giving Cathay a port it can reach without conquering half the world?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't share your confidence in IE coming along in 6 months time to save the day but I do envy it. The diplomacy system is the only improvement on WH2 that WH3 makes (that I can think of). It's the same as or worse than in every other respect.

I do generally enjoy playing WH3, it's just that the campaign is dumb, even if the patches alleviated a lot of the bad points. But simple map painting with Bretonnia, the Helves or the Tomb Kings was always fun to me in WH2, and the new Wood Elves campaign was pretty exciting, too. And now I'm imagining leading the vampire pirates on a cool jaunt to the chaos lands, or trying to raid Cathay, and it sounds great. And even if I were to play the same campaign as Malekith as I did in WH2 (please let there be a wrap-around map, please please please), the addition of the outpost system will allow me to test all kinds of fun army compositions. I'm very confident that I will have fun with IE even on release, which by the way was slated to be released in just three months.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 6, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Quoting this for ease of finding once IE comes out.

It's nearly June, just one month and then Immortal Empires could come out any day (they said July/August/September, but realistically, it'll be September).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Kislev with Irondrakes. :getin:

You can have that now. Kislev plus dawi is a really good combination!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

HE can counter anything. They have a huge and diverse roster

HE can counter anything, can be filthy rich, pretty secure on the Donut, and meaningfully play the diplomacy game. In the player's hands at least. But that's imho not a problem in the campaign, and they didn't perpetually dominate the MP scene, either.

And that's for the WH2 version of HElves. We don't know whether there will be broader adjustments to game 2 factions when they get brought to WH3. I wouldn't worry about those things for now at least.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder how for example Brettonia will work, because their high tier cavalry is balanced around having the upkeep reduction your lords get for fulfilling vows. Your empire lord obviously won't have those, so will Brettonian cavalry be hilariously expensive for everybody else?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eimi posted:

That's just perfectly flavorful. Why would some chivalrous knight obey the orders of some unwashed foreigner who has the gall to fight with gunpowder?

It is, but would make one of the coolest new features of WH3 a bit less useful.

Not that this will stop me once I've reached a certain point in the campaign that I'm rich enough to afford Bretonnian cavalry from forming the best anvil with all my dawi frontliners, and then have some grail knights being the big hammer to smash the enemy against that anvil.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arghy posted:

I can't imagine sullying my dawi army with any other races units

I'm not suprised.

I wonder if WoC will be on the IE map from the start. It doesn't really make sense to spawn the faction later when Skarbrand, Kairos and co. undoubtedly will be on the map from turn 1.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jokes posted:

The most powerful Bretonnian unit is the blessed trebuchet not the expensive cavalry

While that's true, the "no friendly fire" trebuchet is not half as cool as the fancy cavalry!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, Turin said HElves will be dead last in MP. While Wood Elves will be one of the top pics, together with Greenskins and the clear number 1, Vampire Counts. How those nearly fire immune HE units figure into this, I'm not sure yet. But I have a hard time seeing somebody doing well in Domination with just cavalry and fliers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jokes posted:

I feel like lothern sea guards would be absolutely killer in domination

Too few models.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Noir89 posted:

Remake the redline skills into command spells, ie targeted buffs and debuffs. Instead of unit specifik they are archetype specifik like "Hold the line" gives MD, MD+Mass and then MD+Mass+Charge Defence vs large and another is maybe "Push Through" and it's MA, MA+Charge, MA+Charge+Mass(Thinking is that higher mass on cav helps it push through infantry).

There now you can have a support commander that is actually fun and engaging to play while not making certain units OP and discouraging using ally units.

Traditional redline trees should only be for select LL's, and only very narrow. So Thorek has a skill that buffs quarrelers because he's THE arch-conservative, but no other dawi lord has this skill. Alith Anar buffs his shadow warriors, Skarsnik his gobbos, Grimgor his black orcs, etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gonkish posted:

I'm of the opinion that IE should just be a thing available to all WH3 owners, without the need to own the prior two games, and the content should be the only thing gated behind purchasing stuff. It'd be a huge advertisement for the rest of the series.

I've seen some serious speculation that this will be exactly how IE will work, and it makes a lot of sense to me. It surely incentivizes owners of WH3 a lot more to buy the old games/DLC if they can take their Slaanesh army and conquer Ulthuan, see the High Elves as an enemy, and wonder how it would be to play as them.

Also, IE will take up a big chunk of dev time for the foreseeable future, CA surely don't want to piss off WH3 owners by only giving updates to a content the base game only owners can't access.

So in short, I would honestly be more surprised if the base IE campaign itself will require you to own WH1 and WH2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kazzah posted:

I'm currently reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Green Mars and one of the characters is named Nirgal, after the Sumerian god that Nurgle is derived from, it's strange

Huh, I didn't know that Nirgal and Nurgle share the same root. But I've read the Mars trilogy before ever playing anything Warhammer related. Looking it up, it's... interesting to see who inspired Nirgal's name. Because I remember that KSR didn't just name the characters for how the names sound. Saxifrage means "rock-breaker", and Ann Clayborne as his opposite has a pretty obvious name. And it's easy to see why Nurgle was named after that god, but Nirgal?

Anyway, great taste in literature, Kazzah.