Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Well I heard the world Bayraktar at the end.

I wonder if the Russians are starting to get this war's version of 'Tiger fever': assuming that every missile strike that hits a vehicle is a Bayraktar and they can't possibly engage even though the Ukranians only have a handful of the things and the odds are low.

e: I presume one of the many people in this thread who actually speaks Russian will tell me how badly I've lept to conclusions after pulling one word out of that entire intercept.

They lose four tanks, the TB2 carries 4 missiles and the tanks hit are mostly in the middle of the group, suggesting they could more easily have been hit from the sky. The first hit on the road was maybe the trigger as to why the spaced out convoy groups up in the relative cover of the village, then the second tank that got hit was probably the commanders or something because they had persons walking around it that looked to have been asking around in the village. Then the third and fourth tank got lit up and the whole convoy just turned heel and left.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KitConstantine posted:

When oil companies think your country is doing something immoral and don't want to be involved :thunk:
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1505628552296902661?s=20&t=xWwAjCdfUbngJ_gH3EtLLQ
I'm not sure if this will have many consequences in the immediate short term, but medium and long term it's some bad news. Seems like not being able to service oil field equipment will turn into a serious issue for a petro-state

This is absolutely not due to morals but due to the difficulty of operating in Russia due to sanctions and the political climate.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

I'm not a tank expert, but this always surprises me. Loading ammo into a gun seems like something that should be easy to automate and provide improved performance over a human.

Autoloaders used to be slower than an manual loaders during shorter engagements before the loader got tired, but I'm not sure that holds up with modern tanks. Having a loader does not add much to the logistical profile of a tank and is also an extra pair of hands which is very appreciated when you get stuck or wreck a track link doing a dumb manuver and need to fix that. I think they also mentioned that there was a doctrinal difference between the US and Soviet Union where the soviets were more focused on a rapid advance and gave no immidiate priority of fixing tanks that broke down on the way. The US however (and NATO?) had a higher priority on repairing broken down stuff even within a smaller unit organisation (armor company?), which made extra hands even more useful.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I didn’t realise that rocket powered GPS guided artillery shells were a thing. Sounds suspiciously wh40k-ish.

How does the, uh, impact/yield/bang of an excalibur shell compare with those switchblade drones? Are they 112k too?

I’m just picturing an MLRS type drone swarm launcher as the horrifying evolution of warfare - which will see humans losing against skynet.

Btw, that already exist and the drones are supposed to act as a swarm and do adaptive formation flying with multi angle swarm attacks and, I think, some form of individual target acquisition when in the target area. So yeah...

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zhanism posted:

What happened to the poor minks?

Most probably ended their suffering somewhat prematurely while a good amount of them broke free to murder all local wildlife and then starve to death. So business as usual for a mink farm really.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FishBulbia posted:

It's an issue of expectations. After winning the battle of Kyiv, a lot of people expected the war to end, but simply due to the scale of Russia it is likely that Ukraine will have to accept a victory that may look like a defeat ie loss of DNR/LNR and Crimea. That will be a political dangerous moment for Ukraine.

That is quite some contradictory bullshit phrasing you have there. Just say that Ukraine and its people will have to accept some form of negotiated end to the war that is not on their terms. If Ukraine and its people see any loss of territory as a loss then it will be a loss and treated as such domestically. Russia will claim "an end of the successful special operation" in any case that is not a full annihilation of the separatist republics and the Russian forces in Ukraine.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

As a Finnish tax payer, I am not interested in letting rich Germans burn cheap Russian gas on my expense. Is this surprising to you? Of course the ultimate blame rests in corporate leadership who are raking in millions as a reward and on politicians who didn't supervise them and stop them from risky foreign investments. But in the end it is Germany's legislation limiting Uniper from raising prices according to changed market situation that caused this, and only changing that could stop the money drain.

Reading up on the whole thing it sure sounds like you are mad that the Finnish state made a horrible purchase. Could you lay out how it is the fault of the German state that the Finnish state, seemingly without a good exit plan, bought a "too big to fail" gas company wholly reliant on Russian benevolence? Finland should have known better than to invest in Russian fossil fuels and now Germany is literally bailing out the Finnish tax payer by buying a 30% stake in the company because they too realize that it is too big to fail?

Please poo poo on German reliance on Russian gas all you want but this seems to be a pretty clear cut case of bad investment and the investors (in this case a ultimately a country instead of a hedge fund) gets to bare the brunt of the bad investment because regulations and unions prevent a settlement on the investors terms.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FishBulbia posted:

The Völkisch movement was not a homogeneous set of beliefs, but rather a "variegated sub-culture" that rose in opposition to the socio-cultural changes of modernity.[4] The "only denominator common" to all Völkisch theorists was the idea of a national rebirth, inspired by the traditions of the Ancient Germans which had been "reconstructed" on a romantic basis by the adherents of the philosophy. This rebirth would have been achieved by either "Germanizing" Christianity – an Abrahamic and "Semitic" religion that spread into Europe from the Near East – or by rejecting any Christian heritage that existed in Germany in order to revive pre-Christian Germanic paganism.[5] In a narrow definition, the term is used to designate only groups that consider human beings essentially preformed by blood, or by inherited characteristics.[6]

Depending on context and time frame discussed semitic peoples are/were not defined as just jews but also includes arabs, ethiopians and aramics/anyone speaking those related languages, or catch all term for middle easterners. So the movements being described anti semitic during some periods and contracts is not necessarily anti jewish bigotry but a general anti-"middle eastern" bigotry that belittled the merits of a middle eastern religion in favor of the long dead domestic pagan religion(s).

It probably involved a hefty dose of specific anti jewish bigotry too though, because that stuff has been rooted deep in Europe since roman times.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Why the hell are weapons like this called drones instead of cruise missiles or just missiles if the former definition is too narrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Great article, everyone should read to. Four weeks to go from pure civilian to a LT holy poo poo.

Since Ukraine has conscription these four weeks might also be a refresher to remind them of what they did during their mandatory service which is often 6-12 months I think.

The guy's diary makes no mention of previous service though so it might just be these four weeks and then to the front.