Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

She's gotta convey the tone, and I think she's doing it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Who the gently caress would be insane enough to go to Ukraine to be a hired gun fighter pilot having to go up against the Russians?

Like, I can see a couple hardcore oorah dudes who just got out and think it's a great idea, but 140?

Yeah I don't think we had 140 flying tigers during ww2

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

CSPAM is salivating over the thought of the donation thread's Snake Island gang tag being changed to something anti-Ukrainian "when" Kyiv falls. If you haven't donated yet (or just haven't posted your donations), know that your donation will come with the extra bonus of inciting impotent tankie rage!

do you have a link that people salivating over changing the gang-tag

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Giving Ukraine modern planes and sheep dipping nato pilots into their air force would be a time honored tradition. Those aren't our warships, those are privateers. That isn't our land army, that is a mercenary unit that happens to be staffed by our military.

In ww1 german uboats were flying the austrian-hungarian flag and sinking shipping before germany entered the war.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

I agree on the “painting roundels” and “flying flags” part—time honored tradition by the Soviets during the Cold War, it’ll be interesting to see who signs up though

I wonder if Russia operating T-80s is a major factor killing their fuel supply chains, granted there are plenty of other reasons for it to be terrible at the moment

Find a fighter pilot that wouldn't want to get a confirmed kill on a mig.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

No. In principle, only contract soldiers are supposed to be deployable. Of course, there are tons of reports of conscripts being literally ordered to sit in a room and not given food or water until they sign contracts, but hey...

Interestingly, the reports of troops who were only conscripted in last November being forced to fight in Ukraine is probably not because of Putin's callousness, but because of relatively low-level officers being corrupt. Contract soldiers are supposed to be paid wages. Those wages go through the battallion leaders, who are supposed to maintain (for example) 3 companies worth of men on contracts. However, whenever they are called to military excercises, only one company is called out of each btn. So, what the battallion leaders do is only maintain one company worth of contract troops, and pocket the difference. Then when there was suddenly a war on, no-one warned the officers early enough, and suddenly all three companies needed to be deployed and they were in a position where they have to admit to Putin that his army is half air. So instead, they just pressganged some poor bastard conscripts into signing contracts.

Do you have a source on this? Specifically that the battalion commander acts as the paymaster as opposed to a centralized admin system?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

none of the core problems are things that could be solved with NCOs, this is an army that has an incompetent officer corps. This isn't bad small unit tactics, this is bad operation planning.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what does that have to do with me saying the problems in this have been at the operations level, not the tactical level?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

their guns aren't even facing outboard. they're just running the gauntlet and hoping for the best

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

jesus christ a no fly zone means you shoot down things that are flying its not a god drat harry potter spell

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Sergg posted:

Yeah if I were to throw out an offhand clinical diagnosis Putin is obviously a sociopath. I would say he has narcissistic traits but probably not full-blown NPD because having narcissistic traits is just a common endpoint of being rich and powerful for decades, and a sociopath would long-term self-select for people who won't challenge their dominance, so you also end up surrounded by yes-men. One of the big tells, aside from unnecessarily assassinating people & poo poo, was the KGB assessment that he had a reduced threat response, which is a classic trait of sociopaths to have a reduced fear response to threats, which causes them to engage in excessively risky behavior.

Which Hogwarts house do you think the sorting hat would have put Zelensky in?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

meatbag posted:

Does Russia have a Marine Corps who is supposed to be trained in amphibious invasions?

they have naval infantry on paper, who knows if they have any landing vehicles that work though.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rednecks wouldn't buy a tank, it would be a lawyer from fort worth that likes to play dress up as a cowboy

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Farking Bastage posted:

Are you guys aware of/have an opinion of Beau of the fifth column?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWCgFVmkgOs

Dude's got a point about these war tourists and the fuckers who stir up poo poo here.

he's a convicted human trafficker which is why he doesn't have any guns in his videos

but yeah other than that cool dude!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

He helped immigrants get work visas

https://www.justice.gov/archive/opa/pr/2007/December/07_crm_967.html

"Justin King, 27, of Chipley, Fla., was convicted following a six-day jury trial in the Northern District of Florida in Pensacola of one count of conspiracy to commit visa fraud, five counts of visa fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit alien smuggling."

PookBear fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 23, 2022

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

My uncle (RIP) was an undocumented seasonal worker in CA his entire life. I live in Las Vegas and know at least two undocumented workers.

I genuinely can't raise my eyebrows too hard on visa crimes, without casting aspersions at my own family. The dramatic reduction in sentence leads me to believe there's something more to the story we won't know.

I genuinely think his videos and opinions are good, and send a positive message, there's not an easy way to frame what he says as problematic or untruthful. I can acknowledge that opinion likely contributes to my perception, but I can't think of something he's said that set off my dogs or marginalizes anyone.

He took advantage of people and sold them fraudulent work visas

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yes, I mean it’s entirely possible to sympathize with the victims and still wanting those who facilitate and profit from it to get their poo poo pushed in.

or at the very least, not have them be a "leftist influencer"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm not saying he was the worst person that ever lived, but maybe don't link his videos to support your argument.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder if they were issued a rusted through AK and brought the mosin from home or something along those lines?

That’s the only way this makes sense.

all the people with mosins etc have been from separatists

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

russia's military is coordinated enough to do any real fancy war crimes

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Russia's military can be fixed as well. They have modern weaponry, they just need internal reforms for both corruption and adjusting to the reality of modern war.

If there is anyone with the will and capability to fix their military is a different issue, but that is far easier than trying to magic a military industrial complex that can produce everything from small arms to tanks and planes.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 8, 2022

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Also, internal rot is something that is impossible to actually quantify and every time someone has tried to do so its gone horribly wrong. Its up there with "if we invade with a battalion, the rest of the country will rise up and join us" and "home by christmas"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Ah ok, I didn't know that. Thanks.

iirc Ireland had a lot of british pilots prisoner during ww2 because they were too dumb to figure out which island they were from

edit: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-13924720

"Spitfire down: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

More than one thing can be bad at the same time.

The original question was "have other countries targeted children with booby traps?". And unfortunately the US created a similar situation through a series of poor decisions. The intent makes a difference, but results are results.

In no way is this an excuse for the Russian actions, since that apparently has to be repeated. They are in no way related other than sharing a set of similar circumstances.

what the gently caress are you trying to say

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yesterday we were talking about artillery and I typed up some stuff but didn't finish it.

So arty has three parts: 1) observer 2) fire direction control 3) gun crew.

The basic way use is observer talks to the fdc for a fire mission, fdc translates the target location into data for the guns, and then one gun fires. shell lands, observer sends back corrections (left, right, add, drop). Once on target, the whole battery can fire x amount of rounds using the same data. Because they're using the same data, the impacts will roughly land in the same pattern that guns are arranged on the ground.

it looks something like this

If you're trying to ambush a convoy coming down a road, things get more complex. the FDC can give each gun their own data so that all the fires converge on a single spot IE the road. You can have the guns knock out the lead vehicle and then start working back down the road. You can have a second battery (or half the first battery) start working the convoy over from the tail end and start moving up the road.

If there are obstacles on one or both sides of the road or you knock out enough vehicles to make your own roadbloack, you can make it really fun by throwing in wp so they can't see how to even drive out of the ambush, or risk driving into a canal, mud, etc. not to mention the other fun side effects.

So there is a pretty huge difference between a barely trained arty unit and a really good one, especially if the enemy does something cowardly like trying to move.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What are the gun control laws in Ukraine like? I hear they're pretty strict in Russia. But are they loose enough in Ukraine that there's plenty of civilians with Mosins, shotguns, and maybe AKs to form up an insurgency against the Russians? Red Dawn style

what

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

That Works posted:

This is the best version imo

https://youtu.be/-OxK4lPRoww

its so amazing

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

it does not take one hour to get call for fire lol, that person is a moron

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

There were better ways, they had already cutoff the head and tail of the column. They were heading towards Basra, not to redeploy inside Kuwait.

if you call time out in war, its illegal for the other side to shoot you

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, you know that's not what I meant, but by all means.

then what are you trying to say

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

I guess if you get enough tank hulks in the river you have a bridge to cross?

that is unironically one of the ways to cross

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_Ramp_Carrier

PookBear fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 17, 2022

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Stravag posted:

As i was told on discord this is actually a good thing like the uk's ww2 home guard because it lets you free up people who are 22 year old clerks to go fight

I didn't say it was good, I just meant that out of all the weird poo poo having people in the reserves over 40 isn't that odd.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

I'm wondering if he was in some altered state of battle frenzy, like a berserker of old.

??

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we'll give them m16/m4s before we start up serious production of 5.45

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Advocates for civilians and noncombatants sometimes say things that make governments and armies upset.

were any ukanians asked if they were bothered by their army defending their cities?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Madurai posted:

Are there any 120s that even make a figleaf attempt at being man-portable?

no, the best you can do is back it by mule

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

McNally posted:

Don't post snuff.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Pretty sure you need to do whatever possible to protect your head and neck in that event. Not make it the first thing that would get hit

jeff cooper editing his color code to include 'relaxed while fishing but ready to curl up in a ball in case of explosion debris'

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that is the dumbest poo poo I've heard of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

NJersey posted:

It’s a loving .50 cal. It’s a suppression weapon, like the type you just lay into a position/building like he was doing.

Just LOL at the idea of using a T&E on a moving truck and expecting to hit anything.

He should’ve had at least 4 ready to go cans up in the turret too…at the very least down at his feet with his buddies getting the rest ready.

50 cal is a suppression weapon because if you don't stay in cover its very accurate and will kill you. You don't suppress someone by just firing in their general direction

The best way to suppress someone is to cover them in the brain matter of the person next to them