Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Cythereal posted:

I'm guessing this has to do with a Russian rocket hitting a Turkish-flagged ship in the Black Sea yesterday (in addition to the Japanese and Moldovan ships).

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497564078897774598

I must differ. I don't think Erdogan gives a rat's rear end about that cargo ship.

I see 2 possibilities to explain the attack on neutral cargo ships:
- lol, launch the missiles from 50km away, let them lock on something, lmao, no fucks given, missile quota fulfilled
- target neutral ships (AIS info, satellite and radar) and give them a bloody nose to immediately stop all commercial ship traffic to Ukraine

I obviously believe it's #2: it's a cheap way to cut off resupply on that route. No need to patrol and stop ships one by one, the insurers will do it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Back in the day the orthodox church's hierarchy was infiltrated by the KGB. I assume little has changed but the initials.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

I've been meaning to look at the geography of ukraine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Ukraine):

and compare it to a current situation map:

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

I also saw 'emotional support armor' in twitter, but it didn't catch.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Canucks are sending some excaliburs and tubes.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

There was some hovercraft movement in the black sea. The possible stupidest thing would be to do a hovercraft landing on transistoria and threaten Odessa. Post your stupidest war-plans itt.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

He was commander of all russian forces EW assets, guess that flash invasion of the baltics is off the table now

The EW general was killed by drone-directed artillery. A drone could fly close to the EW command post. What a loving poo poo show.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

It's a ruse to slow down Ukraine's switch over to to western weapons by weighing it down with hundreds of obsolete soviet era armor vehicles. At same time Russia grows stronger as it no longer has to maintain those same rust buckets. It's a double win for Putin.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Su-25 also doing the rocket-lobbing im-a-mrls-now dance, too. First time I see it. Accuracy must be atrocious, even if they reprogrammed their fire control computers for automatic release.
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1525788514142638080

Incendiary attack.
https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1525714257916182528

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Arrath posted:

There's a joke in here that to make top attack munitions, the Americans invented a $120,000 thermal sight to launch $175,000 missiles.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainians strap standard mortar rounds of anti tank grenades to consumer dji drones.p

Yes yes this started in Syria, and that does not appear to be a drone you get from best buy don't ruin my joke okay.

DJI is for 1st world war tourists (and recon). That's a $30 flight controller board on a DIY drone. Well, it probably has dual IMUs, so add $4 to the price. The video is analog, with a $1.5 overlay chip putting some letters on it. Bet they spend most money on batteries, carbon fiber spars, motors and specially what seems to be a thermal camera (with analog video output). I bet the camera alone costs over $50!

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Two interesting threads on the soon to be delivered GMRLS systems.

TLDR: 70+km range, 5m CEP

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1531012132975910912
https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1531067601006301184

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Igor Sergeiyivich, we have MRLS at home. MRLS at home:
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1533442096371314688

Acuracy:
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1533442099366006785?s=20&t=xQYQ9GLvDgC2XmETwTz5fQ

We always talk about how the missile flies from the POV of the missile, this is a different POV:
https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1533352441919455234

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Specific Ukrainian needs: guided projectiles for NATO guns and switchblade 600 (the bigger switchblade, 40km range, morer boom).
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1534145036031606785

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Isn't this a tweet by the dude who led the Crimean annexation and Donbas invasion? I know he fell out with the Kremlin but still.
:psyduck:

Same name, not sure if targeted counter-information or just a happy coincidence. For a translation of Igor Girkins' blog, and other Russian/Ukrainian language news, check https://twitter.com/mdmitri91

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

More calls for long range precision fires:
https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2022/6/15/ukraine-to-us-defense-industry-we-need-long-range-precision-weapons

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Also under the conditions of both war and supplying a 3rd party you can skip compliance to MIL-STD-420/STANAG-69, which isn't cheap, let me tell you.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Blaming NATO is such bullshit and is like the equivalent of blaming a battered housewife for trying to have support

Well, if she wants him to stop beating her over his legitimate concerns, maybe she should do a gesture of good will, like giving him custody over their children, Donny and Lucas. Really, the people try to get her to stand up to him and end his abuse are only prolonging the conflict. What else could he have done but start punching her face every day once he found out she was trying to have friends and see other people?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

ieee spectrum has a pretty good article up about russian electronic warfare equipment and capabilities

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Murgos posted:

Are they really defending a beachhead with a trench 50 ft from the waterline? At water level? Or is that a river crossing?

Either way, I’d expect you’d be better off 200m back firing down on the beach and down at the tops of whatever they are using to move across the water to assault you but I’m certainly no expert on defensive emplacements.

Also, it does look a little wide at the top and straight to be particularly effective against air bursting munitions. My recollection from the little defensive position training I had back in the day is you want to be narrower and deeper with more angles so you can squeeze down at the bottom during the barrage.

Edit: on a rewatch maybe it’s just perspective that makes it look that close and they are up on a rise overlooking the beach?

On the other hand you're tasked to build some trenches at the Crimean coast and spring is starting so you might want to enjoy a nice beach trench for the next 6 months. The Ukrainian marines might try a sea borne assault any time now.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, "weird" in the sense of "jarring and off-putting" rather then "unusual"

yeah

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Our forebears used to dump nuclear waste into the ocean, a perfectly legal thrill. For some reason we've lost that tradition.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

mllaneza posted:

The bridge is at extreme range from a launch point on the current front line. To avoid risking one of the (probably few) Su-24s modified to launch Storm Shadow they'll probably be launching from farther back and hitting closer targets.

Yeah
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1656612051668664320

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1657067703889166342

Fun new toys found in the Ukrainian inventory.

Lots of armchair theorizing going on about how it's going to make Russian air defenses cry, which seems accurate since it was apparently used in connection with a Russian repair point getting blasted with pinpoint accuracy in the Russian-held parts of Luhansk.

It was claimed it was heralding a Storm Shadow missile in it's wake. Some tweets show Storm Shadow fragments. It makes sense to use the Storm Shadow missiles ASAP once the capability is known and the enemy starts moving their assets beyond the missile's range.

fe: the tweet
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1657317762157477888

edit: closer to source tweet says it was 2 Storm Shadow missiles

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1657314335507595266

karoshi fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 13, 2023

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Calvin dad: And to verify the BUK's IFF subsystem they shoot at everything not responding and check twitter after running out of ammo.

(They should've run out of ammo after 4 hits.)

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Discord bandit was taking notes of classified information and asking pointed questions, as an IT janitor.

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1659018047200411648

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Storkrasch posted:

Can Ukraine's patriot batteries and future F16s get targeting data from the various NATO AWACS planes flying around Ukraine? I.e. shoot down targets entirely without engaging their own radars?

The front is quite far from the NATO borders and probably outside AWACS radar range. Otherwise, it's technically possible, I'd bet. It seems a bit more direct information sharing than a satellite image.

e: ^ I stand corrected.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I'd expect attitude / position/ motor speed sensors to be the bottleneck, microcontrollers that can be made to work in these applications are a high volume commodity and ukraine has more than enough embedded software talent to adapt to whatever specific chips are available in volume for a given shipment. The motors, well I expect a lot of units that would otherwise be considered marginal are just fine for applications where they only need to work once

probably having less impact on the overall drone market and more on "oh god why is Raspberry Pi unobtanium"

Accelerometers/gyroscopes/magnetometers used in cheap drones come from the smartphone lines. How many smartphones are produced each year compared to drones?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

That's basically the Shahed drone. If all you want to do is conduct terror bombings inertial navigation is more than good enough to terrorize a population center.

Them shaheds use 8 GPS antennas and a thicc FPGA to filter out GPS jammers. This adds to their price.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

RoyKeen posted:

What does FPV stand for? Can't find in it in a casual search.

First Person View: camera on the drone trasmits to some goggles you're wearing, like a dork. You steer the drone, loaded with HE/HEAT, into the nearest target. It's a loitering munition minus the $100k price.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well that’s convenient
Pentagon checked the couch cushions and found extra ATACMS for Ukraine.

Bad time to be a bridge in a 180 mile radius around Ukrainian controlled territory.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Hmm, I see, so as long as we can subtract where the missile is from where it isn't it can find the bridge?

Exactly, it knows where the bridge will be and avoiding all positions where the bridge isn't it will arrive at where the bridge is and occupy that position. Now the bridge can't be where it was, and the missile is now, and so the bridge isn't where it was which is what the user wanted.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Austria has an army?? Who knew. They published a nice 30 minute recap "The Ukraine offensive has failed - What´s next": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjMr3RZ8Ss
It sums up the last 6 months or so quite nicely.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I would take anything coming out of Austria about the conflict with a grain of salt considering that they're toeing an almost-Hungarian line on a lot of points, including opposing further sanctions on Russia.

Oh! Thanks for the heads-up.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Can the Ukranian F16s NordVPN into an AWACS/GlobalHawk/Triton and get AMRAAM firing solutions without turning their RADAR on? Cause that would shut down the southern approaches with all the NATO stuff hanging over the sea.
Also how good are AMRAAMs against helos?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

bad_fmr posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1742265213716410690
Dude apparenly downs a cruise missile or a Shaheed with an anti-air cannon. It looks like the thing does not even have any real sights.

Also one brave doggo.

I've played against that dude in warthunder ground RB, he has over 15000 hours SPAA playtime.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

It's not a single honking antenna, a deployed Russian GPS jammer posted earlier did have up to 100 antennas, controlled via cell data. INAEE but there's some correlation between the number of antennas you have and the number of sources you can filter out, good luck fitting 100+1 antennas on your (must be cheap) drone. Also I suspect Controlled Reception Pattern Antennas (CRPA, seems to be the search term) do filter imperfectly. Also you can probably be targeting multiple links in the GPS RF chain at the same time with so many emitters: have some try to drown out the signal by saturating the analog amplifiers, some try to gently caress up the frame sync, others attack the higher level position algorithms with slowly drifting errors and so on.

GPS signal is so weak you probably don't need much more than a few Watts to be in the game. The price comparison of 100x HARM vs 100x (arduino + cell modem + GPS screecher) is likely not in favor of the HARMs.

Of course there's a whole century of radio navigation history to pull ideas from. Some of them are even ~tactical~ and 60s leading edge RF is probably a $120 bill at DigiKey, today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

I've spent the last four months training Ukrainian soldiers -medics- in "unnamed European country" under the auspices of SAG-U and honestly it's come close to breaking me a little bit. I've made and lost so many friends, and the next six months aren't looking to be better for that. It's hard to talk about, both because of classification of details beyond the public facts and also because no one really understands it when I try to talk to my civvie and military friends.

I don't really know why I'm posting here, but y'all are much more positive about the prospects than the CSPAM thread - and if I see one more 'lol' or similar under a tweet about some new Russian attack or procurement difficulty in Ukraine I might say something that'd get me banned- , and more likely to understand than DnD.
I just, well, does anyone have any predictions of an end to this insane poo poo in the near future to share? I'm so so tired already of seeing Signal numbers never come back online after someone rotates on to the zero line or hearing through the grapevine that so and so died or was injured in a strike. The attrition seems insane and I don't really see how this can end well for the people I've become so fond of.

I obviously can't share details about the training or the people who come to us, other than that many are some of the best I've met. Men and women who signed up to defend their homes, are making the best of it, and will do whatever they need to do to be able to go home.

Please, don't go to the CSPAM thread, it's a really nasty place.

Thank you very much for helping Ukraine.