Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

McNally posted:

Effective immediately, the United States has banned the importation of Russian cars, computers, and pineapples.

Is this the joke or foreal?

Didn't know the US had any demand for ladas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wait does this mean China has now done more than almost every NATO member state to sanction Russia

I mean, that's the power of a state that doesn't have to worry about public opinion. If it suits them domestically they can do whatever.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

For a second I though this read france sent GIGN to reinforce Kyiv and was wondering what sorta Tom Clancy poo poo we where in for.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I did not expect Zilensky to rise to the occasion like this. I can’t imagine many world leaders actually putting themselves in danger at all much less basically going down with the ship like he probably will. I figured he was just another oligarch puppet but just a bit sharper in how he played Russia vs NATO, though obviously he thought Putin was much more of a rational actor than seems to be the case.

I mean, the alternatives at this point for him are die defending Ukraine, somehow survive a miraculous defense and the Russian military collapse, or flee wondering if he was important enough to be sent some polonium from Putin.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

question: Do European countries still do the different rail gauge thing to prevent other countries from using their own rolling stock in a war scenario or was that largely abandoned after WW1?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

give us some highlights, i'm not dipping myself into that filth

There's two major threads I've seen over there.

1. Armed resistance from the civilian population is bad, because more people will die when the Russian reprisals start continue are broadcast.

2. Sphere of influence security concern BS.

I will say, the first thing is novel as I've never ever heard something to the tune of "citizens of a nation should never hinder a foreign invader"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't some other Slavic Orthodox church come out and say Russia invasion is bad? WHO GETS THE +2 PIETY BUFF?!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dee Snider continuing to do rad things, from making congress look like a bunch of Mooks to this. Bravo.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Seeing claims that the peace summit at the Belarusian border have ended and both sides are withdrawing to 'consult' with their home governments.

Russia's peace demands are reportedly:

1. The Crimea be officially recognized as part of Russia.

2. Ukraine pledge to not join any any organizations or sign any treaties involving economic or military commitments with Western powers.

I mean at this point what kind of idiot would trust russia of anything. They already outright broke the promise of maintaining ukrainian soverignity. In the short while a lot of people are gonna die, however; in the long run as far as I can tell this is the first time in a long while the international community is willing to do more than tut tut russian aggression. I fear a cessation of hostilities would end up with everyone wiping the board clean and russia tries again in a few years except this time with proper planning and a more unwilling to do anything about it international community.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pmchem posted:

not combat news but hilarious owning of an idiot who works for RT America

That's cool they're doing the labeling, but somehow they missed Tucker Carlson. Someone should report that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I could be misreading this map, but why does it appear as if the southern unit encircled the most southernly ukraine area, and then invaded Moldova?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Torrannor posted:

How much financial aid did Ukraine actually get from the West? I've seen several reports of "X country will support Ukraine with xxx million dollars" as headlines, only for the full text to read "Y country will support Ukraine with xxx millions dollars in military equipment". If all they get is military hardware, I wonder how Ukraine can afford to drastically raise their soldier's wages (I think ten times as before the war started), while also bribing Russian troops?

At the very least they can sell burned out tank hulks. Gotta be some amount of steel and copper in those things.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't wanna google Azov Bat. but I'm assuming these are Ukrainian Fash that just so happen to be putting bullets in Russians right now?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Meshka posted:

I think its for future negotiations, i.e they agree to remove them from Belarus in exchange of removing them from Belgium, etc.

Question:

In a world of ICBMs, hypersonic nukes, and sub launched munitions. Does having your nuke forces staged 150 miles closer to what you want to hit going to meaningfully do anything?

Like I kind of get it in a world where bombers are your only delivery system, because bombers take awhile to get on station and could get intercepted, but in the above mentioned world it doesn't seem that relative proximity matters all that much as a bargaining chip.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Is there a compelling reason to believe this doesn't end with Putin nuking everyone out of pure spite?

Possibility that the nukes themselves fail to launch due to either being sold off or hosed due to lack of maintenance.

Someone in the nuke launch chain of command saying "lol im not endibg the world for this rear end hole"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Isn't this the UK's dead mans signal?

If the Vanguard class ssbn on patrol can't hear it, they open the safe and get the PM "Letter of Last Resort"?

I can't imagine the letter being anything more than "lol good job being the last survivors lads, do what you want, because we're all dead"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ceding territory and governance to Russia and disarming will definitely make them stop and definitely won’t just make it easier for them to continue the invasion later once they’ve replenished their forces.

Yea, I can't think of any agreement that is going to be agreeable to both parties and secure the sovereignty of Ukraine in perpetuity, because one actor has show itself to be utterly untrustworthy while the current government is in place and the other would rather not be conquered by Russia. Feels like it's gonna be to the knife, and eventually some Ukrainians might get tired of just blowing up soldiers, tanks, and airplanes on the Ukrainian side of the border.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Torrannor posted:

There would presumably be a security agreement with the West/NATO that's shy of full NATO membership, but would still offer Ukraine reassurance that they wouldn't be as on their own if Russia were to invade again.

I hope when they're doing that calculus they're not factoring in the US. Our country tends to get brain worms every so often that makes us forget our international responsibilities.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Does this mean that Ukraine's only dealt with 5% of Russian fighting troops, or is this "Out of the 100 people we sent to ukraine, 30 of which where logistics related dudes, ukraine's dealt with 5 people."

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

One of the things I remember from WWII was how one big difference between Soviet and German logistics was that Soviets: Everyone was infantry first above all. There were no dedicated cooks or logistics people. Germany had thousands of dedicated cooks, logistics teams, etc.

It seems like that's changed a little bit?

I can't believe that's true, even if everyone has a rifle they still need to do their job otherwise modern warfare just doesn't work out. At the very least You need dudes to take supplys from supply dumps to wherever they are needed. Even if you allow your soldiers to raid and graze off the land of what ever they conquer they still need ammo, replaced equipment, and vehicles that they can't just take off of civilians.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That media isn't particularly for our consumption. It's to run on Russian state media. I mean, sure, they want us to see it, but it's more for drumming up support at home than abroad. Gotta beat that propaganda drum.

It's a classic move. Embark on military misadventures, put senior official up to spout garbage to the public to smooth over everything or sow fear and leave enough breadcrumbs to project intent if anyone is listening.

Why choose bioweapons of all things? We already have covi...

They're gonna blame the US for covid aren't they.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Time to play everyone's favorite game.

USEFUL IDIOT OR RUSSIAN PLANT!!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

how are you supposed to deal with this from a security stand point? Spotters? I assume the profile of UAV's make them small enough that radar isn't really gonna be able to pick them up?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

davecrazy posted:

How good is the money to be that transparently a sell out to a foreign government.

Had a FBI dude come and talk to our infosec class about insider threats where foreign countries go and recruit college kids who had potential futures in State Department or various companies that they'd love to get hands on IP for. He said the majority of cases he worked on the cost to the government in question was basically tuition at a state school and some extra money for living expenses.

I wonder if anyone has ever connected the dots of "putting a generation in crippling debt" and "people willing to sell out their own country"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has war crime-ing across the land ever worked out for invaders in the modern era? Seems like all you'd do is make martyrs out of everyone in the city doing stuff like that, and start making everyone in the country fight til death rather than think about ever surrendering.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Much like republicans in our country, giving them soundbytes do nothing because anyone serriously waffling on the position of "russia invaded ukraine and thats bad" was never gonna be convinced to flip with anything less than everyone around them slapping them and even then and anyone who could be pushed to go take actual action baaed on a soundbyte was just looking for the tiniest of excuse that would have come the moment they had a slightly worse day.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kaal posted:

They'd need to have dug pretty deep to find something that was still emitting at 5,000 times the typical rate in the forest.

Inhalation of less radioactive particulate during said digging make a difference vs just getting it on your skin and clothing?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Not really, but interesting to see a new goon narrative form in just the last few weeks.

I've seen versions of that floating around in the CE thread every time Russia or China utilizes their veto, so if it's a goon only narrative it's older than the last few weeks.

I mean if you think about UN or no, Nuclear armed nations with ability to hit anything on the planet already have a veto. It's just instead of going to the security council and saying "doesn't work for me brother" it's a communique between diplomats saying "gently caress around and find out" with a picture an ICBM.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

A lot of commentators (that I watch, anyway) have argued that the only real outcome is stalemate. To that end, I agree. Ukraine isn't going to march into Moscow. And until the EU and the US finally get their act together on freezing Russia out of their economic sectors, I don't think (anymore) that sanctions will have enough bite to force Putin to agree to something like a peace status quo antebellum.

I wonder if Ukraine gets in the position to recap its former holdings and Russia is still trying to fight if we'll see punishment raids on Russian soil with Artillery and SF or if everyone thinks Putin might think even thats a step too far.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GD_American posted:

You know how in an AAR, you struggle sometimes to get the three ups and three downs?

What are Russia's ups?

Up: Arrested potential anti-Putin subversive elements inside of Russia.

Up: Found deficiencies in military procurement

Down: Won't remediate

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In case of confirmed chemical attacks by Russia, is the play as Ukraine to retaliate? I mean at worst even Ukraine probably has enough pool supply stores to be able to produce large amounts of chlorine gas and if I was a betting man, I wouldn't bet about the availability or structural integrity of Russian Gas Masks. Is it distribute Mopp Gear and hope for the best?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So we're going to stop threatening to invade anyone who hosts ICC proceedings?

e: Nope, we're apparently still legally obligated:
https://2001-2009.state.gov/t/pm/rls/othr/misc/23425.htm

Yea, any support for the ICC from the US is only there so long as the ICC doesn't investigate or prosecute warcriminals from the US or it's allies and does investigate and prosecute warcriminals from nations hostile to US foreign interests.

So fairly worthless and fleeting.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dear Sean Penn,

There are plenty of prior issues that billionaires could have helped solve already by dumping their wealth on it, but they don't, because if they did there wouldnt be billionaires in the first place to buy military equipment for Ukraine.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ogantai posted:

As signatories to the Second Geneva Convention they may be obligated to intern them until the end of the war if they were rescued by a Turkish military ship:

Any idea why the action is intern instead of repatriate or dealers choice when it comes to this?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

It is a provocation only if you believe that Russia has a moral right to invade and forcibly annex countries around it whenever it wants to, just because it's a big power and that's what big powers do.

NATO is intended to stop that sort of behavior. It wouldn't exist if the countries surrounded by Russia didn't fear for their safety from it.

I don't understand how NATO is any more or less a provacative force than the CSTO? Do people not know that Russia itself has a bunch of defensive alliances with former USSR states?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

psydude posted:

It's always difficult to paint a concrete picture of what systemic corruption looks like. But this war has given the world some very tangible examples.

I don't get it, do people not check their equipment? If I had to ruck march with a ton of gear I'd check every little bit of it just so I'd have an excuse to not have to march with it or get a replacement if its something I absolutely needed.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

This is actually something I've been thinking about for a bit. Why isn't Russia using their hacking abilities to gently caress with countries giving aid to Ukraine? Are their capabilities overblown or would doing such a thing turn a cyber war into a blow poo poo up war?

Probably a combination of beefing up cybersec infrastructure, successful attacks that arent being reported/arent known about, Russia not wanting to blow any of their zero day exploits without a drat good reason, and not wanting the NSA or whoever to use theirs on them.

Edit: I did a research paper on their cyberwarfare stuff circa 2018 and it seemed to me they lean fairly heavily on nominally independent criminal operations for a lot of their day to day shenanigans, so who knows if that's playing a part.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 18, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You'd think if there's one situation when you'd want to turn on everything you had, it'd be if all your foreign reserves were seized and had crippling sanctions placed on you.

Theres two big issues with using zero day exploits and why people dont tend toss them about willy nilly*

1) once you use them in any capacity you have a window between discovery and a patch or remediation being deployed for you to do what you need to do. Sometimes these are insanely quick turn arounds like hours if its a big enough issue or a day or two if its fairly niche and annoying to figure out.

2) because of needing to keep them secret once you release the zero day someone can turn around and hose you or some youd rather not get hosed with it.

So if you're Russia and are holding on to a zeroday that lets you compromise any win10 system you point it at youd probably hold on to it unless you absolutely need an ace in the hole.

*sometimes a conplete dufus will use them to own a minecraft server or some inconseqiential

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kesper North posted:

The Mandiant and Dragos writeups on the new ICS malware toolkit are worth reading, it's pretty neat and it sounds like someone has built a Metasploit-like tool for ICS attacks. I want a copy real bad because it'd be a great learning/teaching tool :negative:

https://www.mandiant.com/resources/incontroller-state-sponsored-ics-tool
https://www.dragos.com/blog/industry-news/chernovite-pipedream-malware-targeting-industrial-control-systems/

Does Metasploit not have ICS modules built in? Never had the need to dig all that deep into what comes pre-loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

these poor SOBs aren't gonna get their 600 buxx

I wonder if we're gonna see them revolt if they suffer enough attrition turn around and start raiding russia.