Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
That poo poo has to age you like dog years. I can't imagine the stress, lack of sleep, trying to not verbally bitchslap Doocy, and keeping the public vs need to know lines straight. Especially when you've got a natural stutter that you've had to deal with for a half century plus of politics, 'cause God knows how punch-drunk you have to be after last night. You don't even need to actually see the tweets and Fox banners to know how the "sundowning grampa Joe" poo poo will write itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

His brother, also a boxer and a member of the Ukrainian Parliament, is also also Hayden Panettiere's babydaddy.

They both look exactly what you'd expect an Eastern European boxer-turned-politician to look like.

Sentient ground beef in ill-fitting suits?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Arrath posted:

I like to do it with New Yorks, and look forward to learning how Psy does his.

Pull them out of the fridge, pat dry, salt and pepper, let it come to room temperature
235-250f in the oven for 12-15m per inch of thickness (even as long as 20m/in)
Meanwhile have a cast iron skillet preheating in the oven
Put the skillet on the stove and get it hot as balls
Pull the steaks out, first sear the fat strip to render it down into the pan, then sear the steak for a minute or two each side in the middle of the fat puddle.

I'm still at the stage where I need to pull the batteries out of the smoke detector before the searing, so I'm still practicing.

Brush the steak with a high-temp oil like avocado before searing, better crust and less smoke than adding oil or butter to the pan itself. Also just don't use butter unless you're A) using high quality poo poo, and B) butter basting with aromatics like garlic and thyme and rosemary.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

When talking about the future of armour and how good the top attack weapons are, a pertinent point was raised by a tank expert. For all the hilarity of the cope cages, how many tanks that have one and were clearly taken out from a top attack have we seen evidence for?

I've got to wonder how you'd even get positive ID on that rickety poo poo when it's upside down buried under the flipped, blown-off turret after eating a ATGM strike.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

DeSantis is genx...

Okay so maybe they deserve to get skipped.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

How much damage would Ukraine need to do to Belgorod to lose the moral high ground with the western media and populace? Remove all military assets? Remove all military and civil infrastructure? Glass the town? Make it a crater and salt the earth it stood on?

I'm not entirely sure going full-bore Vlad the Impaler would shift it that much, at this point.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Valtonen posted:

Not in russia. Russia has selective conscription system and since nobody wants in (the benefits Arent like in the US Army, and hazing and abuse is horrible) the conscription In russia is WAY overrepresenting the poorest and least educated who have least chances to wiggle themselves out of it.

Think all the hyperboles How in the US only Poor go to Army to get a chance at college and healthcare and multiply it by a order of magnitude.

So basically a US prison mixed with Lord of the Flies.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

golden bubble posted:

I got cancer looting poo poo from Chernobyl, and all I got for it was a GTX 1070.

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1511979704143822850

Somebody's been playing too much Tarkov.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Dong Quixote posted:

Here's how sort of how it works. The organophosphates/nerve agents block an enzyme in your nerves which breaks down a molecule that causes the target of the nerve to fire. Once the enzyme isn't working anymore, that nerve keeps firing, and the nerves that are most important in this case are the nerves causing you to make lots of fluids into your lungs, causing you to drown, and also the nerves causing your heart to slow down to dangerous levels. Atropine competes with the molecule for a spot at the receptor, and if atropine is taking up the spot, the target of the nerve won't fire. Once you get enough atropine in there, you're outcompeting the excess molecule that the nerve agent had made your body unable to break down. As a result everything dries up and your heart goes faster.

An event simpler way is this: The nerve agent makes your nerves make a bunch of a molecule that keeps hitting receptors in your lungs and heart which causes you to drown from your own body fluids and your heart to slow down way too much. You need a little of it for the nerves but the nerve agent causes you to have way too much. Atropine gets into the area of the nerves and the receptors, latches on to the receptors and makes them unable to be affected by that molecule and they stop making your body dump fluids into your lungs and your heart starts to speed up again.

2-PAM, the second antidote in the DuoDote auto-injector attacks the bond between the nerve agent and enzyme in area by your nerves and your receptors that breaks down the molecule to keep it at the normal level needed to function. It's too slow on its own to save someone who is dying, so that's why you both atropine and 2-PAM with these types of nerve agents.

You forgot the catastrophic full-body muscle seizures that can break bones and lock you up so hard you can't breathe, even if you aren't already drowning in your own drool. My first reflex for a real no-poo poo confirmed exposure to a modern nerve agent would be going for my sidearm, not my mask. I learned way, way too much poo poo about "treating" CBRNE attacks as a medic to ever want to go out like that. Probably the only thing off the top of my head that might actually be worse than playing dig for buried treasure as I put up camp in the Chernobyl forests for a month.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

No, I believe it's because atropine out competes with most nerve agents to bind to cells. It's a parasympathetic agonist iirc so it'd likely have the opposite effect of injecting something like adrenaline. It would speed up digestion I guess if that's what you mean but that's just a side effect of the main use which is to block nerve agents.

I believe that's why we were trained to more or less overdose patients on atropine, you're basically flooding the nerves and muscles receptors so the nerve agent can't do anything.

I have been injected with an epipen and that had a huge rush feeling, like suddenly I felt like physically I was about to go skydiving while sitting in a chair. Atropine autoinjectors usually have other drugs in them so who knows though.

Let he who has never played EpiPen tag cast the first stone.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

GD_American posted:

Marines drawing down a lot of aviation and armor should put plenty in the warehouses, but again we run into the the training issues as told before.

I guess you can’t really sheepdip US personnel in the Information Age the way we used to, otherwise you’d see a lot of very experienced newly civilian pilots flying Apaches for Not A CIA Front, Inc.

"Here Ukraine, take this $200m cash for miscellaneous military aid."

"Why Blackwater Academi Constellis, I heard Ukraine is a great place for War Criming! And they very conveniently have the exact amount of cash needed to pay you."

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not an Old Cold War Hand, but I played enough Harpoon Classic on my 486 to know what this means.

It's an A+ sandwich cheese for all uses, even just putting a slice on some salami and lettuce and mustard.

Dubliner, sliced smoked andouille, and some mild sweet apple.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Without going into it a huge amount, very. Very. Similar to how tool steel is the most difficult to make and most critical part of the whole operation, the dies are not just precision gear but also need to be durable to an insane degree.

Plus the QA/QC after retooling entire lines, because, y'know, tolerances for bang bang things are a lot less forgiving when you get em wrong.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I don't know who the Ukrainian Defense Ministry has working on this poo poo, but good God they definitely aren't getting paid enough.

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1554512359791570945?s=20&t=5g_NJg8zYaV5iYYyClDQgQ

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

A week is extremely fast… The US is not magic, and sprinting in to fight in someone’s immediate sphere is hard.

Odds on China being able to completely covertly stage for an invasion? I think the assumption that they catch everyone completely flat-footed here is doing a lot of work.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

It is both true that if China wanted to actually for real militarily take over versus Taiwan that preparations would be plenty detectable and also that the US couldn't muster a solid defense in a week. This is part of why the plan is never to wait til China is ready to go, then suddenly go "LET'S GOOO" and race in there. Who knows how it would play out in reality, but it's not like flying in the 82d airborne riflemen dudes when there's a small crisis or just moving a fleet.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I was implying. This day and age you're not pulling off planning and executing D-Day 2.0 without literally everyone on the planet knowing exactly what you're doing, with more than enough time to wind up a counter.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Here's a random thought exercise: How many HIMARS are running around Ukraine right now doing how much damage versus what percentage of the actual combat "capable" RU military, and how many could the US reasonably field in an actual open conflict? Now expand that to every other piece of equipment we've got stocked to our back teeth, including SEAD capabilities in the two largest air forces on the planet.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah we felt the same about the Kurds, not sure how much that's helped them.

Kurds don't pass the paper bag test, though.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I'm going to get poo poo for this, but this is seriously like the failure to make a full stop at a red light (Philly Stop) of war crimes. I understand people objecting and that's fine, but after seeing those Azov guys look like they were in Dachu...I just can't give a poo poo unless something different starts occurring in these videos.

Macro vs micro. Macro, in principle, it's a bad thing and can have some ugly poo poo tied to it that people have rightly already brought up. Micro, we all know every reason both genuine, and maybe cynically more for external PR consumption, why most of us would doubt any real negative implications of these videos.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Remember back around April a Ukrainian SF unit put out a statement that surrenders from artillery crews would no longer be accepted?

And shortly after that the video of Russian POWs being shot in the legs and interrogated, with a later video of the same location showing burnt bodies?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture_of_Russian_soldiers_in_Mala_Rohan

Now, I hope the reaction to that has caused the Ukrainians to clean up their act, and it isn't just a case of them no longer recording their atrocities, but don't kid yourself that there aren't some sadists operating on the Ukrainian side too.

In line with what Hekk said, I'm not even going to pretend like I wouldn't be war criming like a motherfucker if I were put in those same circumstances and had hands on one of the guys responsible for shelling my cities into rubble while blissfully uncaring of any civilian casualties. The first time I have to drag a kid out of the remains of their apartment block, I'm fairly confident part of my civilized brain is going to be instantly cannibalized by the insane berserker chimpanzee part.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

why isn't a "suicide drone" called a cruise missile?

It's only a cruise missile if it's from the Raytheon region of Fairfax County.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

That honestly strikes me as pretty good for consumer-grade flight hardware operated in a warzone.

Cost of some COTS poo poo just powerful enough to fly a grenade and release system over top of some poor bastard taking a dump in the woods, pretty decent ROI even before you get into the chaos dunking them square through a sunroof or tank hatch.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tbh I find the large casualty numbers the most believable part of this on both sides. Both sides have fired a ridiculous amount of ordinance at each other, including a mountain of precision ordinance, and both Russia and Ukraine have very good targeting and surveillance data. Russia has been sending cruise missiles into anything that they suspect is being used as a barracks, warehouse, hospital, or vehicle repair workshop and Ukraine has been doing the same back. I make no claim of having the first idea about what the actual numbers are, but I find the high casualty numbers on each side particularly believable.

You really sure about that part?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I would be exceptionally surprised. Cause to do that, they’d have had to have stolen a system to train on or something.

Considering the amount of little green men (probably) running around Ft Sill, what's a couple extra? Also Patriot crews are filled with some of the most knuckle-dragging degenerate ASVAB waivers in the Army, so I'd be shocked if it took the Ukrainian crews long to get up to speed.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Aside from being objectively incorrect about GT score requirements to man Patriot control stations,

I was with 35th ADA in Korea for a year, trust me when I say despite whatever might be on paper, the Patriot crews are near uniformly loving morons. They'd pick the outliers to sit in the vans with the "pointy end" systems, warrants were untouchable savants, intel and comms dudes on the spectrum as per usual, but the bulk of the actual manpower was breathtakingly underwhelming.

Edit: My next frame of reference being engineers, so... yeah.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I’m glad I never did Korea, cause while the country seems very cool, so many stories out of there is that everyone is just biding their time to escape so it’s the next person’s problem. Or enjoying levels of lawlessness permitted by such an environment.

Passing the buck was the near literal law of the land. Also to the second point, I showed up at my next unit with multiple toughboxes full of five finger discounted poo poo.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

McNally posted:

You’re coming pretty close to some hateful language in here. Gentle reminder that there’s a way to describe people as being idiots without falling into the ableist language pit we’re trying hard to climb out of.

Wait... what? Where exactly is the problem, calling them morons, or "breathtakingly underwhelming"? I'm actually confused. Being a dumb motherfucker isn't a disability as far as I know, and while I freely admit to being hateful of those stupid fucks I'm not seeing where I'm referring to anyone with an actual disability in a pejorative way.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Savant maybe? I'm kinda struggling too

Maybe? The 14 series warrants were like actual savants, not the "Rainman" kind I guess that might be interpreted as. Fuckers were the only ones that knew how the radars and fire control systems actually worked and were no poo poo SMEs on every single piece of those systems. Practically had their own little untouchable fiefdoms given that none of the batteries would be able to do poo poo without their wizardry.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

McNally posted:

Generally, and I am not saying it's the case here, people who use the term "on the spectrum" often *do* imply people with autism spectrum disorder are broken.

Maybe I was being overcautious, but I did get a report on the post.

So let me qualify the statement, "intel and comms dudes on the spectrum as per usual."

The context given was a throwaway comment further highlighting how unbearably loving dumb 14Ts were and probably are, in contrast to the rest of the support personnel. Who generally weren't loving morons, at least none egregiously so. In addition to that, literally every single comms or intel tocroach I personally interacted with read like a checklist for a "your kid's not weird, they're just different" parenting book. I don't and didn't give a poo poo because most of them, while incredibly awkward turbonerds, still had their one little area that they knew and you could trust to not gently caress up. Hell, I liked them more than most of the people on base since the uniform lack of "game" meant I wasn't shoving a q-tip up their dick once a month.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Random question: assuming they knew it was incoming, could a patriot deal with one of those hypersonic missiles with reasonable confidence?

:nsamad:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

CS and recoilless rifles clear sinuses so well.

So does ammonia. Either the little medical snap caps, or the bottled poo poo for an extra wakey-wakey before a big lift.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Chemical corps is forever doomed to do literally anything but their primary purpose, and the world is a better place for that fact.

If ChemCorps ever has to do their actual jobs, sign me the gently caress up for the next shotgun mouthwash because gently caress living in that world. My year in Korea taught me a lot of things (mostly about aggressively borderline-functional alcoholism) and one of them was you don't want to live through a no poo poo chem/bio exchange.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

If they keep feeding you how do you find some calm to sleep through the flight?

With the Ambien you snag from the battalion PA, duh?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Arrath posted:

Yeah I'm 6'1" and it's not the most luxurious, I'll give you that point.

As long as I can stretch my legs under the seat its okay, the worst is being seated next to some cornfed brick shithouse motherfucker of a rugby player and fighting for shoulder space.

I always feel bad if I'm not in the aisle seat with my (much, much smaller) fiancee in the middle, between my shoulders and my legs it's not a fun time for anyone. 6' by itself sucks flying, but when you're 265 and literally fill most modern residential doorways with your shoulders it turns flying into a special kind of hell.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 18, 2023

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

THAAD is ballistic missile pure and cannnot engage or defend itself from aircraft.

So it'd take the Ukrainians what, like a month to get THAADs shooting down airframes? Just going off their track record.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

special work forces have been sent for woodcutting in the past. I think they discontinued the practice for a while

People get a little too excited about man-mounted claymore mines sometimes.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Here's a better question, who pulled 200g out of their hat? Is that a deduction backwards from blast effect or volumetrics from whatever the gently caress it was stuffed in?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I can't fathom a reason why they wouldn't.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

A Festivus Miracle posted:

At some point, something has got to give and the idea that the Western powers will stop shovelling money into the furnance before the Russians is something that exists only in the most tankie of dreams.

As much as some chuds might make the right mouth noises about it, there is no chance in hell we stop funding the defense of Ukraine. This is literally the perfect storm where all of our B and A- list toys get exhaustive (modern peer) battlefield testing, the MIC rakes in enough to make Slaanesh blush, and we get to pay our way into permanently and irrevocably crippling (what we thought was) a near-peer rival. Oh and we have absolute unquestionable moral authority and high ground while we do this, because we're helping an underdog defend against literal genocide.

Unless you're a broke-brained tankie, the only things to quibble about are the ethics of the MIC and post-conflict arms proliferation, which I can't give enough of a gently caress about to even minutely change my opinion on funneling boom booms to the blue and yellow boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

We are easily startled and heavily armed.

Like horses with nukes.