Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mebh posted:

Sheffield is nice! I keep saying but nobody listens!

Can confirm, I didn't listen.

but Sheff is for reals pretty sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

And yet people are banging on like it has any relevance to their lives so they can say "yeah I would commit sick ultraviolence if a balaclava man scissor-kicked my wife in a Tesco carpark". Like, ok, that's marvellous

Is anyone actually doing this?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes, I imagined several people doing this and I'm going to slap the poo poo out of them

So, like an mrna vaccine, you just made up a guy so you could get mad at them?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've been wondering for ages but can't work it out, so I'll just resign myself to looking like a dumbass and ask - what does the current thread title actually refer to (besides pancake day obvs)?

Plandemic, the big conspiracy theory about how covid is a sinister plot to... Do something. Wake up, sheeple!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jippa posted:

A podcast I was listening too the other day was making a similar point. When did the "In a world" type voice overs for trailers get replaced by the acoustic cover versions of old songs.

The earliest trailer I can find for this is Social Network in 2010, but the one that really sticks in my memory is Age of Ultron with I've got No Strings, which really promised a much more depressing movie than the one we got, which was just depressingly bad.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

I was getting the dates mixed up lol. It was recorded for Donnie Darko but that was a 2001 movie. 2009 was when the unecessary sequel came out, my google skills are lacking it seems. Still seeing it attached to the game where the big beef men fight the space lizards makes me giggle

I like the Mad World cover, and it's over-the-top sadness really fits the woozy-paranoia of Donnie Darko.

I'm unsure how well Donnie Darko works if you're not currently a teenager. I watched it last when i was ~23 and it didn't really have the same impact, I dread to think how it'll feel now I'm 32.

quote:

I forgot it got to christmas number 1 though, what happened in 2003 to make that happen is beyond me.

It's because 2003 was awful and depressing, and everyone was feeling awful and depressed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It's that time of year again...

This is accurate, and is why I've only been able to buy a massive slab of dates, with no reference to Ramadan at all.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In that interview Gilbert, half-jokingly I think, said he'd plunder the other games for good bits to steal. And Murray is both easy to plunder, and is loving worth plundering. I haven't played those games in fifteen years (oh god my life is slipping between my fingers) and I can still hear his voice.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A while ago there was discussion somewhere about perverbs and the one that always sticks in my head is "We'll burn that bridge when we come to it."

Once there was a very rich king. His most prized possession was his great golden crown which he valued above all else.

One day, he was visited by the Count of Dunberg. He held a feast in honor of the count, and after much merrymaking, they all went to their bedchambers.

The next day the king woke up to find that the count and the king's crown were both gone. The king sent out his soldiers to find and bring back the count so he could have his treasure back.

The count was found the next day and was brought before the king. He refused to say where the crown was, even upon threat of torture. The king, being very angry with the count, called the executioner. The count was made to lean over a wooden stump while the executioner sharpened his hatchet.

'I will give you one last chance to tell me where it is, count.' said the king.

'Never!' The count said, and spat at the king's feet.

The king motioned to the executioner and sat back to watch the show. The executioner raised his hatchet, holding it over the count's neck. The count was sweating buckets as the hatchet was slowly raised.

As the hatchet quickly fell, just before it connected, the count screamed 'WAIT I'LL TALK I'LL TALK!!!'. But it was to late. CHOP! the count's head rolled to the floor.

The king never found his greatest treasure. The kingdom fell apart, and its people learned a valuable lesson:

Don't hatchet your counts before they chicken.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bump_fn posted:

weird. is it like a rhyming slang thing or ...?

Porky pies is though (lies)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mebh posted:

Part of "leadership training" for work. Basically getting all the leads and prospective leads to read a series of books and then chat about them. Sadly nobody has time so it's been 6 months and no progress. Not to mention the books are shite.

From what I can glean the book is not so much trying to tell me apex predators etc, but trust your "men" under you, give them autonomy and provide them what they need. The message is decent but the wrapping is entirely for chuddy lovely managers not folks that know anything about history or well, are essentially pro union/labour and politically astute. I guess a book like that would be written off as woke drivel and never sell which is the problem.

In fact the book has lots of terrible reviews from multiple political perspectives (right wing people hate it as the overall message is 'be nice to your workers', left wing people hate it as it's wrapped up in OO RAH bullshit and psychological pseudoscience to try and feed it to right wing people)

The person best in charge of my chance at promotion right now unfortunately seems to loving love it.

I read the summary here https://readingraphics.com/book-summary-leaders-eat-last/#:~:text=In%20Leaders%20Eat%20Last%2C%20Simon,can%20become%20a%20true%20leader. which I broadly agree with.

This review seems to sum it up best I think as he starts going on about oxytocin and seratonin poo poo which I've had enough of with the emotions and Pixar talks we've been forced to endure in the narrative games industry the last few years.

Oh its this fucker: https://youtu.be/hER0Qp6QJNU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Devor posted:

Perhaps it once did, but the main definition is now "happened"

I am nonplussed by this revelation.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just so I'm clear - Morgan got cancelled by getting into an argument with the weather man, storming off set and then quitting his job. Right? He wasn't pushed out or anything?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Rather polite way of putting it. He cancelled himself by stormed off his own show because a black presenter had the temerity to call him out on his racist claptrap. Literally couldn’t stand being argued back to by a black man.

Oh poo poo I didn't know the weather guy was black (because dear God why would I subject myself to the video). That's even worse.

Guys, hot take here. Piers Morgan can gently caress right off.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

These days I kind of flitter between reading non-fiction & reading a lot of garbage. I've read all the Sharpe books for example. They are rip-roaring fun if you just want a big series to dive into of swashbuckling soldiering.

My swashbuckling recommendation is The Long Ships - jolly viking adventures, that masks a more serious look at medieval religion, politics, and the christianisation of Norway. It also has vikings competing over poetry, and getting all pissy when someone busts out a great poem completely off the cuff because now it means they have to come up with a better one right away.

It's one of those books I recommend to everyone, regardless of their tastes (the other being Blindsight) because it's just a sheer delight.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

Finally, someone else who's read Blindsight.

e: what did you think of the Rifters trilogy (specifically Starfish?)

I've only read Blindsight and Echopraxia. I think Blindsight is the better book, but Echopraxia's neo-Lovecraftian vibe is amazing and I've somehow never seen anything quite like it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BalloonFish posted:

What I think is really revealing about these made-up scenarios is that the case for the striving middle class kids being allowed a place at Cambridge rests entirely on what their parents did - their parents did all thr right things and ticked all the right boxes, so the kids should be a shoo-in for the right college at the right university.

Perhaps Cambridge doesn't want some kids who needed years of tutoring to pass the 11-plus? Perhaps - horror of horrors - the single mum's kids were brighter and displayed more potential and the sort of drive and thinking that Oxbridge seeks, and which a lot of spoon-fed middle class kids with perfect grades actually really struggle with once they're there?

People are always so revealing when they create hypotheticals. Like that column in the Telegraph about how 'they' were going to ban private cars and it would basically be like the Kyhmer Rouge or something. And it ended with "they want us all living in diverse, walkable urban centres where everything you need is within a 15 minute journey and you have no need to leave. That's the new vision of hell."

Don't threaten me with a good time...

If someone manages straight As at a run down comp where nobody has got into uni since the dark ages, I'd be much more impressed by them than by someone who buys their way into good grades like this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cyril sneeeer posted:

hat will not help. I have never been live on the dischord although i want to hear bobby n rattys accent i don't want to hear it that bad.

going to bed now i think.

That sounds like a good idea. Take care of yourself.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I did wonder why I'd never seen one of them pulled over by a group of lads, and assumed deep steel rods of some sort.

But enough about Ms Adequate's weekend plans.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1525050644712853505?s=19

It's on fire, it's supposed to be on fire and if you Dont like it you can fack off

I'm extremely on board with specifically British horror - like Wicker Man or Apostle - but I'm also extremely on board with horror based on Japanese studios fuzzy and warped understanding of British culture.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It seems to show him giving half a poo poo about covid, so uh... Not accurate.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's the end bit that you stick in the hole.

I think you've mixed up Richer Sounds with his cousin, Sounder Rich.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

This but Burro Banton - Badder Dan Dem in GTA4.

This is Jet Set Radio Future erasure, and I will not stand for it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Only played the Japanese import on Dreamcast, don't get this reference.

My favourite GTA4 thing was to go online, and single out one randomer on a quiet server and just hunt them like the loving Terminator until they rage quit.

Oh it just had awesome music and I was acting like praising one games music was a slight to another game. https://youtu.be/ugo6ASPVu9g#t=27m26s

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

oh shut the gently caress up

Typical of the so-called tolerant left, trying to silence anyone you disagree with. Alas, I am cancelled.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Always remember that Tories didn't want children to be fed.
One even said the money would be spent on crack.
Tories are loving scum of the earth.

Yeah, we're well past the point where i care about understanding their ideology, and I'm chalking it up to deliberate evil.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Weren't the rules different when Starmer had his shindig depressing meal?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

counterpoint, an American trying to say "twat"

I had an American friend visit who was prepared for our weird place names, and was very careful to enunciate properly. He struggled when nobody could tell him how to get to Shortage.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fascism would require you to believe in something other than self preservation. And while some of the Tories lean that way, I think Johnson is motivated only by clinging to power.

Yes, I am un-ironically invoking The Big Lebowski.

Look at the conversion therapy thing - they promised it for years because it was popular.then they u-turned because they didn't actually care. Then they immediately u-turned back because everyone yelled at them. Its government by press-release.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

This made me realise I don’t know, when do people usually develop a sexual identity, based on our latest understanding?

There was a paper a little back on 300+ kids who were allowed to socially transition at line 7-10 years old, and 5 years later 98% had stuck with their new identity and were really happy with it.

So, pretty drat early!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jakabite posted:

schools are basically prisons, bedtimes are oppression, and restaurants must be abolished.

But how do they feel about eating all their vegetables and doing their homework?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's the anarchist objection to restaurants? Sure the modern capitalist approach to them is objectively awful, but what's wrong with a hippy co-op where you can get some food and have a community?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Does Vaush call himself an anarchist, I thought he was just a standard US Democrat.

He does a lot of "democrats are better than the alternative" that occasionally (often?) veers into endorsing American imperialism.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I do think that kind of devils advocating is a really stupid way to argue. He could have just said "but by your logic if the Jews did control the banks the Nazis would have been right" and actually made his loving point explicit. Instead he keeps taking these dumbass positions to try and bait his opponent. It's part of the debate bro culture where precision and clarity take second billing to making your opponent look stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Phil Wang is Malaysian

AHA NOW WHO'S THE RACIST

me because I had to look it up to see if there was a gotcha to be had

There's a great bit from an Asian-American comedian (from the "you just insulted my entire culture, but yes" memes) about this. If you see an Asian guy, don't go for the statistically likely guess that they're Chinese. Instead, ask if they're Korean. You'll probably be wrong, but it won't be racist!