Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

The Dems also are prone to irrational claims about election interference, as we saw after the 2016 general election.

I'll never forget how quickly the pre-election claim WHEN CLINTON WINS TRUMP WILL BLAME IT ON RUSSIA became the post-election claim TRUMP "WON" SO LET'S BLAME IT ON RUSSIA.

eta: It'd be funny as hell if Dem voters storm the capitol after losing the 2022 or 2024 elections.

Really? Which Dems did this, specifically? How many lawsuits were filed? How many concrete plans to try and subvert the vote totals or change electors were made by democratic operatives, much like the Eastman memo?

Because it really feels like you're setting up yet another equivalency fallacy between the actions of dems in 2016 and republicans in 2020. Not to just outright lying about what "blame it on Russia" actually means - complaints about Russian interference were of course about promoting misinformation online, not outright changing votes, despite how many claim otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

My mom fell into this left wing conspiracy pretty hard, that Russia changed the actual votes. I think it's a relatively fringe belief with Michael Harriot being one of the bigger names who fell into it. He did really embarrass himself though.https://www.theroot.com/evidence-shows-hackers-changed-votes-in-the-2016-electi-1827871206

I'd say legitimate complaints were about misinfo and people who were hosed up on the Muellerverse believed in the votes being changed. We can play no true Scotsman to find out how much those people count as Democrats.

Wait, so now if you question whether or not your mom or some rando blogger is as much of the Democratic establishment as paid members of the Trump campaign/administration inciting crowds or filing lawsuits are members of the Republican establishment, it's just a "no true scotsman fallacy"? Give a me break.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

they were called the Hamilton Electors, op.

and while, like January 6th, their attempt to subvert the electoral college ended up just being an impotent temper tantrum, they -did- actually outdo the MAGA dipshits by changing a couple of votes in the electoral college!

my favorite detail is that in order to demonstrate that they weren't being ~partisan~ in their attempt to subvert the american democratic process, they proposed throwing their votes to a guy who had not run for president at all, Colin Powell.

How is it that when you have a handful of electors vote for someone else as a protest (something that pretty much happens every time), it's considered a massive act greater than the 60+ lawsuits, the insurrection, and the massive efforts to discredit the entire 2020 election? Why do we have to continue playing the dumb loving games where folks pretend that each side is the same when they are clearly not?

Also, electors voting for who they want isn't a subversion of the electoral college, that's how it works. I think it's bullshit but those are the rules as written. These electors weren't trying to throw out votes, they were trying to get whole slates of electors replaced and they weren't.

So we're now up to 2 electors, a rando blogger and Gumball's mother for the dems, and the vast majority of the Trump administration/campaign as well as numerous republican members of the House and Senate. Yeah, I'm having a really difficult time seeing these situations as the same.

Generic American posted:

Was there anyone who even made that bolded claim? I genuinely cannot remember a single person who claimed that Russia was rigging the election against Trump before Hillary lost. Not even Trump himself, and he couldn't shut the gently caress up about election fraud.

No, no one was making this claim. It's a purposeful conflation of "Russia and groups tied to Russia are engaged in false information campaigns" and "Russia is hacking voting machines or whatever". Then you just keep bringing up the latter without any quotes or sources like it's the truth and run away when anyone asks for receipts.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

AFAIK this never actually pushed anything off the calendar, but was the explanation given. That and "too online" where it has been claimed his posting about his divorce would have caused a 5% swing against him if not for the valiant boots on the ground.

What is it that you know that the local unions, DSA and other activists do not? What exactly are they missing in their analysis?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Harold Fjord posted:

The election results plus:

Is not exactly a huge win.

Of course the police "reform" bill will end up being as toothless as any other because the police are fundamentally flawed as an institution and banning no-knocks and giving more training is insufficient.

I bet running Carter out hurt them more than it helped.

Again, this is based on what? You keep claiming to know more than the unions and activists on the ground, why can't you tell us all what you know that they do not?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hunter Biden literally has zero effect on the lives of anyone on this forum and I can’t give a single gently caress to the folks who are retconning history and misrepresenting sources.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bishyaler posted:

No effect on our lives, just a constant reminder that the elites in this country engage in every vice they wag their fingers at us for, and that the justice system exists to punish the working class, not them.

Bullshit. Hunter Biden already had to pay his back taxes and is still exposed to even more punishment.

Like I said before, nothing but retcons and lies.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lib and let die posted:

Senator Armstrong was right: America is diseased, rotten to the core, and there's no saving it.

What are you doing here then? You've all made your point that you think the entire nation are all irredeemable and the only solution is a communist revolution. The point has been made repeatedly and yet it keeps coming up again and again and again.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 31, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bishyaler posted:

It's really heartwarming to see liberals mending the political divide by embracing the conservative mantra of "if you don't like it, leave"

Once again, more lies and more bullshit. You don't get to put words in my mouth. The only conservatives here are the ones shouting Breitbart talking points about a laptop.

There's a rule in this thread that says not to repeat the same arguments over and over again. Every post about the evils of Hunter Biden goes down the same road as every other post made about ho0w bad the dems are, how bad the libs are, how bad voting is, how nothing will be solved without a glorious communist revolution. It's the same loving argument over and over and over again.

So rather than trying to loving lie about what I said, how about for once you be honest about the points you're trying to make.

Terminal autist posted:

Gonna circle back to this after the 2024 election and see what your feelings about America are then

This is just loving creepy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lib and let die posted:

You straight-up said to stop discussing it and get out - either you meant get out of D&D/this thread which is not your call to make and a clear-cut example of backseat moderation, or you meant get out of the US.

Just because you edited it after it was pointed out you sound like a card-carrying conservative when you say the exact works a card-carrying conservative says, doesn't mean you didn't say that.

Do not misattribute my intentions. You can tell me why I have such strong feelings about corrupt politicians when you've sat across the dinner table from one of them and had them openly and proudly detail how they rigged the system to protect their pedophile, rapist son from their seat on Smith Street.

Nah, you're not going to play moderator here. You and the rest keep making the same argument, we've all heard it multiple times now and you've added nothing new. You think this whole nation is irredeemable, we got it. You don't need to keep repeating yourself over and over and over again. Calling me "conservative" for pointing this out is just name-calling at this point.

The whole point of "love it or leave it" is to make the point that nothing can change. That you claim the nation is irredeemable, that is, cannot be improved, then attribute this bullshit to me is really loving rich. You're nothing but a liar and everyone can see it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eviltastic posted:

It more or less is them calling dibs, in that another state passing a similar law would result in a ridiculous arms race as they keep leapfrogging each other's scheduled dates. It works as long as the party doesn't have the political will to put its foot down and make them knock it off, which has changed as a result of last time's shitshow (and the one before that, but that was more under wraps).

The reason New Hampshire isn't a problem there is that the NH law references theirs being set seven days before "a similar election", which they have interpreted to mean only primaries and not caucuses. This has resulted in some scrambling in years when it looked like Nevada, a caucus state (e: at the time), would be placed ahead of New Hampshire but not in such a way to run afoul of Iowa's law.

Comedy option: Iowa keeps their first in the nation caucus, but the law is changed such that it's only symbolic and they have a primary later on that actually counts for something. This was actually the case in Washington for a short time prior to going all mail-in voting.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

Is Cawthorn not in the texts? Or is he just young/smart enough to use Signal or Whatsapp?

I honestly don't think he has those sorts of connections yet/at that time.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They know exactly what they are doing, and they are clearly entirely enjoying it. They go to bed with satisfaction at a job well done, and lots of people them lots of money to do it. This is what people talk about with the uselessness and weakness of Democrats, and how decorum functions as nothing more but an excuse to do nothing or a weapon used exclusively against them and the left. How can the Democrats function as a political party when they have no way to prevent members from acting effectively as opposition to critical, landmark legislation? And how can they continue to complain about the ungrateful and uncooperative left that has given up everything for them?

No party in this country has a way to "prevent" members from doing what they want in the middle of a term, especially for someone as high up as a senator in a 50/50 Senate.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, I know and realize it won't pass. Just nice to see anyone at all even bringing it up

I'm absolutely with you in supporting this poo poo, but how would it actually work in a practical sense? First off, what is the working definition of family here? Household? Spouse? Adult children? Parents? Siblings? Friends with benefits?

And please understand that I'm not looking to shoot it down, but most restrictions or rules for jobs really only apply to the employee - I work for a federal contractor, I'm not allowed to smoke cannabis (even though it's legal here). My wife on the other hand can smoke as much as she wants. So can my dad or my brothers for that matter. If that rule were to change to include my family, how in the hell would I prevent my family from smoking cannabis? Furthermore, they could rightly argue that their ability to smoke shouldn't be hampered just because of a job I took.

So back to members of congress and stocks. Yeah, obviously a spouse shouldn't be allowed to trade because they're basically a legal unit. But what happens if that spouse get tired of it, starts a separation and just goes wild trading securities? The member of congress can't forcibly stop that from happening? What in the case of "family" being extended further? If it's easy for a MoC to tell their spouse what they should trade, they can (and have!) pick up the phone and call their parents, siblings, cousins, children and share that same insider info. At the same time, why should I suddenly be unable to trade securities simply because a family member gets elected to congress? What happens to my 401k?

I guess what I'm trying to ask here is what exactly are the best practices here? How do we balance the absolute need for and end to legalized insider trading with the fact that affected family members likely have no agency in entering into these restrictions in the first place?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eviltastic posted:

The article is badly mischaracterizing the bill by saying "and their families". The bill covers spouses and dependent children.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/117/hr336/text

e: to summarize an already short bill, it requires them to put covered investments in a blind trust and keep them there until they've been out of office for six months.

Thanks, I looked three times for the text of the bill and couldn't find it.

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is a bunch of gish gollop since you can just look at the actual bill being discussed in that article, Spanberger’s. It's spouse and dependent children. The working definition of family in most legislature would follow that and you'd just define it in the bill. It wouldn't make sense to put the same rules on any extended family since that would just be straight insider trading if they traded because of confidential information provided to them by a relative in Congress.

You doing ok, buddy? This is a little much for a Saturday afternoon.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

All members liquidate their stocks put into a blind trust and administered by OMB and an independent OMB commission. If you refuse, you can't be seated.

As long as they’re held to a fiduciary standard, that seems fine to me. I presume they would anyway.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mind_Taker posted:

Democrats Won't Govern.

At some point the incompetence excuse only goes so far. Democrats are plenty competent at stymying any sort of leftward movement, for example.

Yet we see democrats governed just fine when there are actually working majorities in plants of individual states.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

JT Jag posted:

The Democrats love the filibuster so much that they'll happily sacrifice the lives of millions of women forced to die in childbirth or have their rapists' kid for it.

Yeah, this is loving bullshit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2021/filibuster-vote-count/

Only two democratic senators are on the record wanting to protect it, the rest want it changed or eliminated completely.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TGLT posted:

Then it's time for the other 48 to finally yank some leashes.

Which loving leashes are those? Please be specific.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

And yet we have four progressive* Democratic Senators from Virginia and Georgia, states that were overwhelmingly Republican in recent memory. There is no reason we can't elect actual progressives in Iowa, or North Carolina, or Florida, or Ohio or Pennsylvania or a bunch of other places that currently have at least one regressive Senator. We can also replace Dem Senators with better Dem Senators, like Connecticut has.

It's important to remember, as is often pointed out here, that voter ideology on an individual level, let alone a macro level, is incoherent and weird and doesn't follow the media's pre-assigned policy views. A voter who is a GOP voter when he's thinking about those drat groomers teaching his kids CRT could be a dem voter who wants those god drat elites to pay their fair share, if you take him out of a context where he's thinking about race and sexuality and put him in one where he's thinking about economics.

I don't think we're going to make much progress in 2022 because the deck is stacked both against Dems (because of an unpopular incumbent) and progressive policy (because it's currently viewed as responsible for causing inflation by many voters.) But in future elections, there is a lot of room for things to improve.

e: * okay put an asterisk on here because I can defend calling Kaine progressive, but not Warner, who voted against minimum wage in ARP

Not to mention states like Washington where Roe was codified in 1991, have the highest statewide minimum wage in the nation and have a voting system that's a model for the nation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

The biggest problem with evangelical Christianity is sola fide, the belief that belief alone promises salvation. You still need to be a holy person and do good acts but that's all evidence of your belief and not acts you must perform for salvation. This is uh, insanely heretical. But no one really cares about that poo poo and reforms are just races to see who can better misunderstand original texts.

I’m sorry, you’re taking one of the major points of the Reformation itself and calling it “insanely heretical”? You’re really going to rage against Martin Luther as the real problem here? Who are you to declare what is and isn’t proper doctrine?

Also, shoving all evangelical denominations into the same pot doesn’t make any sense at all. There are massive differences between Lutherans and Baptists.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cheesus posted:

Do you know any well-off Democrats?

My Boomer mother-in-law loves him almost entirely because he's Not Trump.

While I may have missed it, did student loan forgiveness ever come back into the news since the SCOTUS leak?

That's my incredibly low-bar litmus test for voting for Democrats this mid-term. No loan forgiveness from Biden, all races get a "None of the Above" write-in.

I hope you mean "all federal races" because your local reps need all the support they can get and can't do poo poo about federal student loans.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I really hope you folks don't mind me interrupting yet another uninteresting slapfight over definitions to post some actual news.

https://twitter.com/spulliam/status/1528426381360746501?s=20&t=e-8r0tv_uRGXnMlq-A6RRQ

Sarah Pulliam Bailey, The Washington Post posted:

Southern Baptist leaders covered up sex abuse, lied about secret database, report says

Leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention on Sunday released a major third-party investigation that found that sex abuse survivors were often ignored, minimized and “even vilified” by top clergy in the nation’s largest Protestant denomination.

The findings of nearly 300 pages include shocking new details about specific abuse cases and shine a light on how denominational leaders for decades actively resisted calls for abuse prevention and reform. They also lied to Southern Baptists over whether they could maintain a database of offenders to prevent more abuse when top leaders were secretly keeping a private list for years.

The report — the first investigation of its kind in a massive Protestant denomination like the SBC — is expected to send shock waves into a conservative Christian community that has had intense internal battles over how to handle sex abuse. The 13 million-member denomination, along with other religious institutions in the United States, has struggled with declining membership for the past 15 years. Its leaders have long resisted comparisons between its sexual abuse crisis and that of the Catholic Church, saying the total number of abuse cases among Southern Bapitists was small.

The investigation finds that for almost two decades, survivors of abuse and other concerned Southern Baptists have been contacting the Southern Baptist Convention’s administrative arm to report child molesters and other abusers who were in the pulpit or employed as church staff members.

The report, compiled by an organization called Guidepost Solutions at the request of Southern Baptists, states that abuse survivors’ calls and emails were “only to be met, time and time again, with resistance, stonewalling, and even outright hostility” by leaders who were concerned more with protecting the institution from liability than from protecting Southern Baptists from further abuse.

“While stories of abuse were minimized, and survivors were ignored or even vilified, revelations came to light in recent years that some senior SBC leaders had protected or even supported alleged abusers, the report states.

While the report focuses primarily on how leaders handled abuse issues when survivors came forward, it also states that a major Southern Baptist leader sexually assaulted a woman just one month after he completed his two-year tenure as president of the convention. The report finds that Johnny Hunt, a beloved Georgia-based Southern Baptist pastor who has been a senior vice president at the SBC’s missions arm, was credibly accused of assaulting a woman during a Panama City Beach vacation in 2010.

The report states that Hunt, in an interview with investigators, denied any physical contact with the woman but acknowledged that he had interactions with her.

Sex abuse survivors, many of whom have been sharing their stories for years, anticipated Sunday’s release would confirm the facts around many of the stories they have already shared, but many were still surprised to see the pattern of coverups by the highest levels of leadership.

“I knew it was rotten, but it’s astonishing and infuriating,” said Jennifer Lyell, a survivor who was once the highest-paid female executive at the SBC and whose story of sexual abuse at a Southern Baptist seminary is detailed in the report. “This is a denomination is through and through about power. It is misappropriated power. It does not in any way reflect the Jesus I see in the scriptures. I am so gutted.”

The report also names several senior SBC leaders who protected and even supported alleged abusers, including three past presidents of the convention, a former vice president and the former head of the SBC’s administrative arm.

The third-party investigation into actions between 2000 and 2021 focused on actions by the SBC’s Executive Committee, which handles financial and administrative duties. Although Southern Baptist churches operate independently from one another, the Nashville-based Executive Committee distributes the $121 million cooperative program budget that funds its missions, seminaries and ministries.

For decades, Southern Baptists were told that the denomination could not put together a registry of sex offenders because it would go against the denomination’s polity — or how it functions. What the report reveals is that leaders maintained a list of offenders while keeping it a secret to avoid the possibility of getting sued. The report also includes private emails showing how longtime leaders such as August Boto were dismissive about sexual abuse concerns, calling them “a satanic scheme to completely distract us from evangelism.”

In an April 2007 email, the convention’s attorney sent Boto a memo explaining how a SBC database could be implemented consistent with SBC polity, saying “it would fit our polity and present ministries to help churches in this area of child abuse and sexual misconduct.” The report states that he recommended “immediate action to signal the Convention’s desire that the [executive committee] and the entities begin a more aggressive effort in this area.” That same year, after a Southern Baptist pastor made a motion for a database, Boto rejected the idea.

For a denomination designed to give more democratic power to its lay leaders or “messengers” who voted to commission the third-party investigation, the report shows how lay Southern Baptists allowed a few key leaders, including Boto and the convention’s longtime lawyer, James Guenther, to control the national institutional response to sex abuse for decades.

“The report is going to validate so much about how they really blindly chose to stay on the same path all these years,” said Tiffany Thigpen, whose story of sexual abuse in a Southern Baptist church is detailed in the report. “It buoys what we’ve been saying all along. Now Southern Baptists have to carry the weight.”

During Executive Committee meetings in 2021, some members argued against waiving attorney-client privilege, which would give investigators access to records of conversations on legal matters among the committee’s members and staffers. They said doing so went against the advice of convention lawyers and could bankrupt the SBC by exposing it to lawsuits.

The debate over waiving privilege upset a large swath of Southern Baptists, causing some to believe the Executive Committee was not doing the “will of the messengers,” or following the lead of lay leaders who had already voted in favor of doing so. It also led to the resignation of the EC’s head, Ronnie Floyd, who also once served as SBC president and was on President Donald Trump’s evangelical advisory council. The decision over attorney-client privilege also led to the resignation of the convention’s attorneys, who are named throughout the report.

According to the report, Floyd told SBC leaders in a 2019 email that he had received “some calls” from “key SBC pastors and leaders” expressing “growing concern about all the emphasis on the sexual abuse crisis.” He then stated: “Our priority cannot be the latest cultural crisis.”

Christa Brown, who told SBC leaders that she was abused by a youth pastor that went on to serve in other Southern Baptist churches in multiple states, has long advocated a churchwide database for years and was met with hostility. The report states that when she met with SBC leaders in 2007, a member of the Executive Committee “turned his back to her during her speech and another chortled.”

“The Executive Committee betrayed not only survivors who worked hard to try to make something happen, but betrayed the whole Southern Baptist Convention,” said Brown, who is a retired appellate attorney in Colorado. “They’ve made their own faith into a complicit partner for their own decision to choose institutional protection over the protection of kids and congregants.”

The report, which was requested by Southern Baptists during its last annual meeting, comes just weeks before its next gathering in Anaheim, Calif., where members are expected discuss next steps. Recommendations by Guidepost include providing dedicated survivor advocacy support and a survivor compensation fund.

“We must be ready to take meaningful steps to change our culture as it relates to sexual abuse,” Ed Litton, the current SBC president, said in a statement.

Since decades of sex abuse and coverups in the Catholic Church were reported by the Boston Globe in 2002, some U.S. dioceses have published lists of priests they say have been credibly accused of sexual abuse to prevent the transfer of abusers to other churches. Unlike the Catholic Church, the SBC has a non-hierarchical structure.

In March 2007, the Rev. Thomas Doyle, a priest and canon lawyer who first warned of the looming Catholic sex abuse crisis, wrote to the SBC and Executive Committee presidents, according to the report. He expressed his concerns that SBC leaders could be falling into some of the same patterns as Catholic leaders in not dealing with clergy sex abuse, and he urged that Southern Baptists should learn from Catholic mistakes and take action early on to implement structural reforms so as to make children safer.

The report states that Frank Page, who was leading the Executive Committee at the time, responded to Doyle in a short letter that “Southern Baptist leaders truly have no authority over local churches” but that they would attempt to use their “influence” to provide protections. In an article, Page accused a survivor group of having a hidden agenda of setting up the nation’s largest Protestant body for lawsuits. Page later resigned from his position in 2018 over a having “morally inappropriate relationship.” Page did not return a request for comment.

Rachael Denhollander, a former USA gymnast who outed Larry Nassar’s serial sexual assaults, is an adviser on a Southern Baptist task force on the issue and said that the report shows a need for institutions like the SBC to seek outside expertise on sex abuse.

“It shows a level of coverup and harassment and resistance to reforms on an institutional level that has led to decades of survivors being victimized and hurt,” Denhollander said. “The question Southern Baptists have to ask is, ‘How could this happen?’”

The issue of sex abuse was a prominent theme in leaked private letters written by Russell Moore, who left his position in 2021 as head of the SBC’s policy arm, the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. Moore said that he expects Southern Baptists to receive Sunday’s report in a similar way to how Nikita Khrushchev shocked the Soviet Union when he detailed Joseph Stalin’s crimes in a speech in 1956.

“The depths of wickedness and inhumanity in this report are breathtaking,” Moore said. “People will say, ‘This is not all Southern Baptists, look at all the good we do.’ The report demonstrates a pattern of stonewalling, coverup, intimidation and retaliation.”

Moore said that he hopes the SBC will consider replacing a statue of evangelist Billy Graham, which was moved from Nashville to Graham’s home state in 2016, with a statue of Christa Brown, the abuse survivor who spent the past two decades fighting for reform.

Pretty sure this is going to shock no one but maybe folks will start to tone down the "groomer" bullshit. Likely not, but who knows.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 22, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey, the constant "pissing in their panties" comments are pretty misogynistic.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Buckwheat Sings posted:

A constant stream of dead children while the leader of the free world is 'meh' will do things to people.

Just because you don’t pay attention to what he says or how he’s limited by federal laws understood by elementary school children doesn’t mean “he just said meh”. Especially gently caress off with that last bit, he actually understands what it’s like to bury his own kids.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
NBC is also reporting it.

Uvalde school police chief hasn't responded for 2 days to Texas investigators about shooting https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-school-police-chief-hasnt-responded-2-days-state-investigators-u-rcna31343

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Velocity Raptor posted:

Sample size of one, and all that, but I have no interest in watching the hearings, because I'm fairly certain how this hearing is going and will continue to go.

Dems present evidence and make their case. GOP will grandstand and cry about how they're being unfairly targeted.

5 days later, a vote is held along party lines and nothing fundamentally changes, since the Dems don't want to look like a group of meanies and actually punish their colleagues.

Not saying 1/6 isn't important or something that should be ignored, but you have one side playing with the rules against another side that doesn't give a gently caress about rules. You can't win that game, and so this hearing sadly seems like a waste of time.

E:

Holy poo poo. "See the economy is fine because people still have things they can borrow against and go further into debt!"

There was literally no grandstanding last night. This isn't a normal congressional committee where the seats are split between the parties evenly and decided by the majority/minority leaders. The footage was previously unseen and incredibly compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Velocity Raptor posted:

This part sticks out to me the most. I get they're trying to provide relief from the elevated gas prices, but they get in their own way trying to make sure people don't use their relief the "wrong way." Just send everyone a check with a note, "Here's some money to help with the gas", and trust that people will use it properly. If they don't that's on them. Or maybe they need some extra cash to feed their family and your gas relief check helped them with that instead, and guess what, the gov't will still look good helping people.

Why can't they just help people with no strings attached?

E: probably me getting a little bit :tinfoil: but by making it so the relief can only be spent specifically on gas, it's kind of an indirect relief package to the oil companies.

It's much simpler than that - if people who "don't need" help get help, then that's government waste and that's worse than death.