Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Constitution of the United States, Article I, Section 9, paragraph 3 provides that: "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law will be passed."

This Utah law is in direct opposition of the constitution and should be easily squashed if the Supreme Court had any legitimacy.

Democrats and other folks defending the legitimacy of the Supreme Court is sickening. This is authoritarian rule.

I just typed up a big legal explanation about whether this qualifies as a bill of attainder or not, but I realized there's a much more fundamental question here: What, exactly, do you expect the Supreme Court to have already done about a bill that passed literally yesterday and doesn't take effect until July?

The fact that the law has gone a whopping 24 hours after passage without being struck down by the Supreme Court doesn't mean the Supreme Court is deliberately ignoring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yinlock posted:

I notice you conveniently omitted the part of the post where I said I was trying to reason out why someone would support sanctions despite their proven ineffectiveness.

I was however admittedly in A Mood and left out possibility 3) That they are simply misinformed as to how sanctions work and/or their overall effectiveness and are digging in their heels about it.

There's plenty of people on all parts of the political spectrum who support policies despite their proven ineffectiveness.

When someone's belief in a policy is rooted in ideological reasoning in the first place, they can't really accept that the policy could actually fail, because doing so would imply that the underlying ideology has flaws. So if the policy does fail, they just go into denial, and fall back on all kinds of excuses to explain why it isn't the policy's fault that it failed, why it might not actually qualify as a real failure, why it wasn't a good example of a proper implementation of the desired policy, and so on.

When someone comes into politics as an ideological crusader, facts and evidence take a backseat to theory. If the real world ends up not lining up with the theory, then it's the real world's fault for being wrong, because there certainly can't be any issue with the theory!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Those polls on what people are concerned about is a good example of how nonsense voter concerns can be and how much media/politicians themselves lead those sentiments. There is no reasonable reason to be less concerned about the virus. We're still in a pandemic, it's going to require another booster, the biggest change recently is that we stopped talking about it. Politicians and the media have stopped worrying so voters stopped worrying. And really we saw this effect across the board. Republicans never worried because the people they trust told them to not worry. Everyone else has stopped worrying as the people they trust toss out the science and decide this is all over now.

According to the US Government's COVID data tracker 7-day averages, the case count is down to less than 1/20th of what it was during its January high, hospitalizations are at 1/10th of what they were in January, and the death count has gone below 1/3rd of what it was in January. OEven if people have to get COVID boosters every few months, that's still an improvement over when there was no booster and just lots of scary headlines about vaccine effectiveness.

Given those numbers, it's not shocking that general public concern about COVID might have dropped somewhat, especially with other issues climbing way up people's priority lists - cost of living was ranked a lot lower in January, and the Ukraine war is of course a completely new issue.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

c'mon, do you think people are checking the covid numbers and setting their concern level accordingly? It's not a concern bc it isn't framed as a concern by our media and elected officials.

Regardless of whether people are checking the COVID numbers personally or having the general COVID situation reported to them by someone else, it's hard to believe it's a total coincidence that this chart of COVID cases from January to now correlates so well with the change in people's COVID concern levels between January and now.

(from here)

BiggerBoat posted:

But...I thought the economy was BOOMING and all that poo poo? I never bought it and never feel it. I have a general sense of the things they use to calculate "the economy" but it never really seems to gel with what I see with my own eyes and the things I hear from the people I speak to. If this is an up and booming economy right now then this country is in worse shape than I thought.

And I thought we were in pretty bad shape. 2008 was a real flashpoint and nothing sunstantial has ever really been done about it.

Unless something meaningful is done about housing prices, income disparity, climate change and medical costs then GDP, the unemployment rate and stock market Indexes will continue to mean jack and poo poo to 95% of us. I have a slight glimmer of hope that something might eventually be done (simply because it will have to be) but not much since the people we keep electing are beholden to the 5% or 10% of people that can actually reap the benefits of a "great economy". Like, God loving help me right now if my lovely car dies

The only reason I'm even a little bit optimistic is that eventually the things I wrote about will start effecting rich people and things will hit critical mass. If no one can actually afford to buy the poo poo that feeds the bank accounts of wealthy people, they might realize that UBI, UHC or even M4A is the only way people can afford to pay the rent on all this real estate they're buying up. I'm astonished at the value of my house right now and get constant offers for it but I keep asking myself who the gently caress has all this money to spend? It's tempting for me to cash in but...where the gently caress will I go?

The unemployment rate has actually returned to pre-pandemic levels, and wage growth in 2021 actually was well above pre-pandemic levels. By those metrics, the current situation is nothing like (for example) the 2008 recession. It's just that prices are also shooting upward at rates not seen in decades, especially the prices of basic goods like food and gas, with no particular policy response beyond "wait for the supply chain to untangle itself". And with the events happening in Ukraine, it's only going to get worse.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kind of interesting to see a poll directly test the NIMBY vs. YIMBY housing questions against each other.

Although, the NIMBY position may actually be even more popular than the poll indicates because a lot of the problem with NIMBY stuff is that everyone is good with it in theory until they actually have to make a choice about it in their neighborhood.

Most surprising thing: White and black respondents (despite white people being more likely to be Republican and black people more likely to be Democratic) don't have a huge difference in their desire to protect property values at all costs. Both of them generally support it. But, Hispanics do have a large difference from everyone else for some reason.

No demographic group, except for Hispanics, gets a majority in favor of the more housing position.

Not surprising, but funny: Republicans are the group least likely to support property rights in this scenario.

twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/1508494987696254978[/url]

The same poll also polled some "neoliberal" policy positions and basically came to the conclusion that Americans generally like the environment, but hate refugees.

They are also pretty evenly divided on cash payments to parents, nuclear power, and free trade.

twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/1508493398675755011[/url]

It's worth noting that this is a openly Republican polling firm, whose co-founder Patrick Ruffini spent more than a decade working for the GOP and Republican candidates before departing to create polling firms that he himself called "right-of-center".

I don't have many specific complaints about the methodology, because as far as I can find, the polling methodology isn't explained anywhere at all. The closest we get to details is that it was drawn from a "web panel" which they applied a "Likely Electorate" weighting to.

It doesn't explain what a "Likely Electorate" screen is at all, except to say that it's different from a likely voter sample (and it doesn't explain exactly how it's different). But while their methodology isn't clear, the results are quite something.

This is a sampling that skews quite heavily conservative. A majority of respondents are age 50 or older, the retirees almost outnumber the workers, and the South seems rather overrepresented. Naturally, the political self-ID question comes out pretty much like one would expect given those demographics.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NY Magazine has a long piece about how many of the biggest parts of MAGA world and the non-MAGA donor/professional class aren't sure if Trump will run again and are going all in on DeSantis.

MAGA world sees him as "Young Trump" that they can get another 30 years out of and the non-MAGA world basically agrees that they are never getting another George H.W. Bush or Romney type as a Presidential nominee again and DeSantis is the most conventional conservative who can also bring in the MAGA world professionals, media figures, and voters. Both sides also think he has the advantages of Trump without the personal/emotional issues or negative public perception that Trump had.

He also "out MAGA'd" Trump on Covid and vaccines, which have become one the major shibboleths of the activist base. DeSantis even got cheers when he criticized Trump for "shutting the country down" in early 2020, keeping Fauci in his job, and telling people he got a booster shot.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/ron-desantis-trumpism.html

quote:

Trump is right that DeSantis can’t compete as a performer with him or even with past Republicans who have built national brands. DeSantis has the anti-tax zealotry of Paul Ryan without the winsome affect and sculpted torso. He has the social conservatism of George W. Bush with none of the folksiness. He has the partisan fire of Newt Gingrich without the mesmerizing hair. He speaks in a nasal tone nobody has described as pleasant on the ears and has yet to utter an eloquent or memorable turn of phrase. Reporters have noted his puzzling lack of interest in human relationships outside his family, which has resulted in heavy staff churn. “You will be in the car with Ron DeSantis and he’ll say nothing to you for an hour,” one associate told Politico. “He would prefer it that way.” But in some respects, DeSantis’s distant middle-management energy is the point, especially when compared to Trump’s garish star power.

It is crucial to understand that the critique of Trump that prevails among Republican officials is far narrower than the one proffered by Democrats or Never Trumpers. They don’t object to Trump’s racism, corruption, lying, or contempt for democratic norms, except to the extent that these qualities hurt the party’s brand. What irritates, instead, is Trump’s constant disregard for basic political self-preservation. DeSantis offers them the prospect of a party leader who can harness all the right-wing populist energy generated by Trump without the latter’s childlike inability to focus on what his advisers tell him. One DeSantis ally, confiding to the New York Times, summed up his appeal as “competent Trumpism.”

It's too early to say anything for sure, except that 2024 is going to suck no matter what, but at least there's a chance of it being funny. That article's narrative of "he's an absolute black hole of charisma who refuses to interact with human beings, but he checks all the right boxes, our loyalist media loves him, and party officials are excited for his middle-management energy" sounds eerily similar to what was being written about some of the more obviously sideshow candidates in the 2020 Dem primary. But if DeSantis ends up underperforming, he's going to flame out a lot more entertainingly than the likes of Buttigieg or Harris did.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Russian Defense Ministry held a public briefing today with claims that, if true, would take the Hunter Biden story to a new level.

They allege that they have new evidence that Hunter Biden actually did influence government policy.

According to Igor Kirillov at the Russian Defense Ministry, Hunter Biden and migratory birds have allegedly been working together to plan bioweapon attacks against Russia. All the money Hunter was being paid was part of his role in raising funds for the bioweapons labs and securing the migratory birds.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/on-cue-from-trump-kremlin-starts-dishing-new-biden-disinfo

As far as I can tell, all the article says regarding Hunter's involvement is that he "played an important role in creating the financial possibility to conduct work with pathogens on Ukrainian territory" by "[seeking] investments for the bird scheme".

If there's any claim that Hunter influenced US government policy, I don't see it in the article as it's written right now. Though it might be an error on the site's end, since the link that looks like it would contain more details about the supposed evidence instead goes to a story from three weeks ago.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the sort of thing I'm speaking to when I discount the measures by which the economy is booming.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-biden-covid-health-business-f28163a146d043700247a299f39be4e9

Most people simply don't feel it and I think it's a mistake to disregard that and just point to traditional measurements about why they're all mistaken. Earnings may be up, unemployment may be low and the stock market GDP blah blah blah but none of that means poo poo when 70% of the country is not experiencing or benefiting from it. "The Economy" may, in fact, be kicking rear end and several people have posted some neat chars and graphs but it's not reaching the wallets and savings accounts of a large majority of people.

The traditional measurements aren't bullshit. Unemployment has dropped, and wages are up.

It's just that prices are up even more, with particularly high price growth among inelastic goods like food, fuel, and rent.

Nominal wage growth is actually pretty good, and Biden boosters are happy to point to it as evidence of how great the Biden economy is going. But if price growth is higher, then people's purchasing power has dropped and real wages are down, and that's something you won't hear from the people talking about how great the economy is.

We haven't seen inflation this bad since the Reagan Recession. Wages going up by 5-6% isn't gonna leave people thrilled when price increases of major goods/bills look like this:

(https://www.realtor.com/research/august-2021-rent/)

(https://www.gasbuddy.com/charts)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

There is no way eggs under 2 dollars a dozen are not flavorless nutritionally void factory farmed eggs.

According to the CPI data, the average cost of a dozen large eggs nationwide is usually less than two dollars, except during recessions, bird flu outbreaks, and other anomalous events such as the COVID supply chain shocks.

The especially cheap eggs in recent years were the result of a market failure, not extreme corner-cutting. After the 2015 bird flu outbreak devastated the poultry industry, egg costs shot up to roughly $3/dozen, which encouraged a lot of farmers to invest very strongly in replenishing their supply of egg-laying hens. Once those eggs started hitting the market, it turned out that too many farmers had bought too many hens, and in short order the egg supply was exceeding egg demand and driving prices back down to levels not seen since the mid-00s.

Of course, in addition to the inflation and COVID market disruptions that have been generally driving food prices up already, a bird flu outbreak has been picking up steam the past few weeks and is showing no sign of stopping, so I'd expect egg prices to keep rising. Given the amount of poo poo that was hitting prices even before the bird flu outbreak, I'd expect this to send egg prices even higher than the 2015 outbreak.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jizz Festival posted:

So fascinating. This was indeed an event that happened, and is current. I'm curious, though, what is it that you find interesting about this story? Are you actually surprised that a supportive crowd went along with something even though it was stupid?

I think it's interesting because the conventional wisdom is that politicians have to be in tune with all these little local things, and doing a faux pas by eating a specialty local cuisine wrong or mis-pronouncing some beloved regional business name would devastate their chances in the area.

Like so many other conventional political wisdoms, though, it's something that Trump is barging straight through without a problem. Is it a special Trump thing? Or is it another manifestation of the "all politics is national" trend of the 21st century, with these big country-level partisan politics increasingly wiping out that kind of local/regional flavor? Or was it just always bullshit invented by the political media to drive controversy, and no one dared to challenge it until now?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

That's what I keep hearing, even from a lot of people in this thread. Who are we to believe? The charts and graphs or our drat lying eyes that look at our bank accounts? Let's cede for a second that by all traditional measures "the economy" is on loving fire. What does any of that mean or amount to when the only thing burning for 3/4 of the population is their loving money?

When people are noticeably going broke and losing economic ground every month, what the gently caress good does it do to point to a bunch of numbers telling them that "well, no, actually you're doing loving fantastic!" and that our dumb minds just can't see it. Maybe they're right. Maybe this nebulous idea of what we call the economy has never been better. If that's the case, we are in deep DEEP poo poo as a nation.

"Please send us some money"

There's charts and graphs for the actual economic issues people are facing right now too, y'know.

The reason politicians keep saying the economy is good is because, as politicians in power during an election year, they're emphasizing the numbers that look good and avoiding the numbers that look bad.

Instead of dismissively assuming the data is lying, try getting takes from sources who don't have a clear stake in the interpretation of the data.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The biggest problem with the "Dems aren't talking about inflation or high prices" narrative is that they are talking about inflation and high prices.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1491868921879740420
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1491926713252691973
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1498848538108833800
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1501959821368737792

This is a good learning moment to be aware of the way that news media, popular media, and social media all work to filter our awareness. Just because you haven't seen or heard people talking about something doesn't mean that it's not being talked about at all - it typically just means that the media sources you choose to follow haven't bothered to put much focus on it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

I think this in the end comes down to a question of faith:

Under the current system, say we had 53 democratic senators right now, would BBB be passed? I say no, it would not. Would the discomfort Sinema is experiencing being the focus of so much ire for money be shared with three other Dems? Yes, it would.

I’ve been voting since 1994 and we’re always just a little short, in the same way an alcoholic dad has the kind of bad luck that means he never keeps his promises.

I have lost the faith, I’ve decided the product of the system is the intent of the system, and it requires a lot less explaining things to myself or getting mad because they disappointed me again. They will never not disappoint me because they don’t work for me, duh! Why would I get mad that somebody is buying a huge dinner and I don’t even get a roll? It ain’t my dinner, im not even allowed in the place.

If that's the case, then why even bother following politics news at all? Why are you spending your days reading discussions about what the Democratic legislature is doing? You're already convinced you know the outcome of any potentially-progressive bill, to the point of constructing a worldview in which that outcome is the only possible outcome, regardless of conditions. Why bother following the actual bills, their actual course through the Senate, or the actual votes?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, there's basically no question that the pollster in question is ideologically centrist, and they were looking for this result. The poll was done by Schoen-Cooperman Research.

"Moderate" obviously means a lot of different things to different people, and it's not like the Dems are going to be running national TV ads that say "Dems: they're moderate!" so what this messaging priority means is unclear, and will vary from district to district. One thing I am 115% sure of is that they really, really don't want any candidates talking about "defunding" the police.

He wants to be perceived as centrist, but that's not really where he stands nowadays. Although he came up through the Clinton camp, he's one of those HillaryIs44 types who spent 2008-2016 opposing Obama at all costs, only to end up so deep in bed with his right-wing allies of convenience that he wouldn't back Hillary in 2016 because she was too far left and would cause too much partisan division (though after being somewhat disappointed with the Trump era, he seems to be all-in on Hillary 2024). His "Democrat who opposes the Democratic Party" branding has been useful to his career ever since he joined Fox in 2009, but his time as a Dem consultant is long in the past, as he's spent the last fourteen years as little more than right-media's token Democrat.

Frankly speaking, Doug Schoen is not someone I'm gonna take ideological advice from, nor is he someone I'm gonna trust polls from. After all, here's his ideological advice for the Dems back in 2017, in the wake of Trump's election:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/17/opinion/why-democrats-need-wall-street.html

quote:

Why Democrats Need Wall Street

Many of the most prominent voices in the Democratic Party, led by Bernie Sanders, are advocating wealth redistribution through higher taxes and Medicare for all, and demonizing banks and Wall Street.

Memories in politics are short, but those policies are vastly different from the program of the party’s traditional center-left coalition. Under Bill Clinton, that coalition balanced the budget, acknowledged the limits of government and protected the essential programs that make up the social safety net.

President Clinton did this, in part, by moving the party away from a reflexive anti-Wall Street posture. It’s not popular to say so today, but there are still compelling reasons Democrats should strengthen ties to Wall Street.

As the party has left behind that version of liberalism, it has also found its way to its weakest electoral position — nationally and at the state level — since the 1920s. Hillary Clinton’s lurch to the left probably cost her key Midwestern states that Barack Obama had won twice and led to the election of Donald Trump.

After the 2016 election, the Democratic vice-presidential nominee, Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia, warned that the party’s “broad anti-business rhetoric” distracts its leaders from making growth the goal and “manages to scare off entrepreneurs and small businesses, too.”

Democrats should keep ties with Wall Street for several reasons. The first is an ugly fact of politics: money. Maintaining ties to Wall Street makes economic sense for Democrats and keeps their coffers full.

In the 2016 election, the Center for Responsive Politics reports, employees and companies in the securities and investment industry donated more than $63 million to the Democratic Party.

For the 2020 election, some of the party’s strongest potential presidential candidates — Senators Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand and Kamala Harris as well as Deval Patrick, the former Massachusetts governor — should not be dismissed simply because of their current or past ties to Wall Street.

If voters really hated ties to Wall Street and financial elites, Republicans would not enjoy such a commanding electoral position — or have elected a New York plutocrat president. Most voters’ major problems with President Trump stem from his performance, not from his wealth or connections to Wall Street.

A second reason Democrats should keep ties with Wall Street: Despite what the Democratic left says, America is a center-right, pro-capitalist nation. A January Gallup poll found that moderates and conservatives make up almost 70 percent of the country, while only 25 percent of voters identify as liberal. Even in May 2016, when Senator Sanders made redistribution a central part of his platform, Gallup found that only about 35 percent of Americans had a positive image of socialism, compared with 60 percent with a positive view of capitalism.

Third, it is hypocritical for Democrats to maintain ties to Silicon Valley and then turn their backs on the very people who help finance its work. The financial industry brings to market the world’s most innovate products and platforms that expand the economy and create jobs.

Fourth, demonizing Wall Street does nothing to bridge the widening gaps in our country. Wall Street has its flaws and abuses, which were addressed in part by the Dodd-Frank financial reform law. And yes, the American people are certainly hostile to and suspicious of Wall Street. But using this suspicion and hostility as the organizing principle for a major political party will consign Democrats to permanent minority status.

Here’s what the Democrats need to do instead: develop a set of pro-growth, inclusive economic policies. Democratic leaders must prioritize entrepreneurship, small-business growth and the expansion of job-training and retraining programs.

American leadership in finance will make it possible for our country to invest as much as $1 trillion in infrastructure, extend health care access to every American at an affordable rate and lift the 76 million Americans who are barely surviving financially, as reported in May 2016 by the Federal Reserve, into the middle class.

The Democrats need to partner with the financial community on these issues. Most important, the Democrats have simply had an ineffective, negative and coercive economic message. Advocacy of a $15 minimum wage and further banking regulation does not constitute a positive, proactive agenda.

The Democrats cannot be the party that supports only new, stifling regulations. Reducing regulation allows banks to employ capital and finance investment in our country’s future, making electric cars, renewable energy and internet connectivity across the globe a reality.

This was evident to Democrats in the 1990s. From 1996 to 2000, for example, Democrats led the way on two key economic legislative victories. First, the Telecommunications Act of 1996 deregulated the communications and cable industries, increased growth and enhanced market competition. Second, the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999 removed regulations placed on financial institutions by bureaucrats and expanded opportunities for Wall Street to engage in mergers and acquisitions, adding wealth to the retirement accounts and other investment portfolios of millions of middle-class Americans.

If the party is going to have any chance of returning to its position of influence and appeal, Democrats need to work with Wall Street to push policies that create jobs, heal divisions and stimulate the American economy.

Not exactly someone who seems to be in tune with the electorate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

It might be if you are safe in your home and feel unsafe due to a disconnect between your claimed compassion and your actual perception of the people around you who need it.

I don't really get what you mean by this. Should compassionate people not lock their doors at night? What does one's "actual perception of the people around you" have to do with it? I don't really understand how this all fits together - it feels like an incomplete argument, like there's something being left unsaid.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

"there will always be someone who wants more" is a far cry from "there are conceivable circumstances where you do not need to broadcast how defended your home is."

we are capable of acknowledging George Zimmerman cosplay is not justified, despite the eternal existence of people who want more, yes?

then surely, you can imagine a world where beyond that, it was not necessary for homeowners to put up these lesser totems of protection.

Just to be clear here, George Zimmerman saw a black youth walking down the street, called the police, then actively pursued and violently confronted him, and shot him.

You're going to have to elaborate a bit more on how a yard sign is in any way comparable to that, because I don't really see that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

Fish have no word for water.

Can you explain what you mean by this? We're humans, so we can use words to explain what the hell we're talking about, instead of dropping cryptic remarks and one-liners.

E: Personally, I think the claim that home security signs are actually representative of vigilante fantasies seems like it needs some backing. If anything, it feels like an extension of "paranoid NextDoor poster" stereotypes, extended to assume that literally everyone who has a home security system is exactly the same as those few weirdos whose "saw a black person walking down the street on my doorbell cam, should I call the cops????" posts always show up in NextDoor mock tweets.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 7, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

Crime is racialized in America. “Tough on Crime” is recognized as a racist dogwhistle.

So security systems, the culture around them and the discussions around them cannot be disentangled from race.

Also communism doesn’t mean you’re not secure in your home, it just means you’re not allowed to own a factory. So when you perpetuate “communists want to make it illegal to lock your door” stereotypes you are mouthing John Birch rhetoric, an insanely reactionary thread which I often am disappointed but not surprised to see picked up by liberals.

Crime messaging is often racialized in America, but crime itself is an actual thing that actually exists, y'know. There are very few things in the US that can be successfully disentangled from race, but that doesn't mean that everything is always about race all the time. It means people have to approach poo poo with eyes wide open and pay close attention to the nuances, instead of making wild sweeping statements.

White supremacists rely heavily on false narratives about crime as an excuse to justify racist, segregationist, and oppressive behavior toward minorities and poor people in general, yes. Ideological tales about "the criminal element" have been constructed to justify all kinds of discrimination, going back to the early days of policing. Even in the modern era, plenty of racist assaults have been committed under the pretext of a fearing that the black victim was a potential criminal.

But on the other hand, poor people and minorities are far more likely to be the actual victims of actual real crimes that happen. Not just white supremacist crime, either - plenty of standard-rear end violent crimes like armed robbery or murder! In particular, African-Americans are much more likely to be victims of violent crime. In a given year, about half of homicide victims are black, despite the fact that only 10-15% of the US population is African-American. Moreover, poor and minority neighborhoods in general tend to be more heavily targeted by crime - not to the level imagined by suburban white flight folks who act like you'll get shot instantly if you take one step into the neighborhood, but still a pretty noticeable increase. As such, minority communities often have some very real concern of their own about crime. It doesn't get the same media coverage or the same political influence as white concerns about crime, but it's there and it's real.

Finally, "Tough on Crime" rhetoric is a narrative that's fundamentally about oppression. It's not about safety or about protection, it's about oppression - about using authoritarian state power to harshly penalize people who've been accused of crimes, and doing its utmost to ruin people's lives. Comparing that to a yard sign is a bit wild.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Rather than going back-and-forth about our feelings and whether the data is trustworthy, I think it's probably better to search for better info and sources about FL's nursing home response.

On the pro-DeSantis side of things, we have a softball interview from the editor-in-chief of the National Review, in which he praises DeSantis for his "flexible" COVID response and talks about how DeSantis will soon be lifting what few restrictions were put in place. And most importantly, that article was published on May 20, 2020, or around the bright green line I drew on this chart.

A little early to be declaring COVID success or cheering the wise intervention of Governor DeSantis! But was it really so bright as that? Let's take a look at what the Jacksonville Times thought of DeSantis' nursing home victories five days later:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/coronavirus/2020/05/25/state-missteps-failed-frail-in-floridarsquos-nursing-homes/41751079/

quote:

As coronavirus deaths increased exponentially in elder care centers, Gov. Ron DeSantis took a victory lap.

Along with fawning state officials and industry leaders, he touted at a May 13 news conference that his actions prevented a catastrophe at nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

The Republican governor said he always knew and acted decisively at the beginning to protect “the most vulnerable population,” who he calls “the tip of the spear” for the pandemic in Florida.

But DeSantis’ “whack-a-mole” approach to long-term care facilities in the pandemic — as the AARP calls it — has failed.

Despite the proclamations, DeSantis didn’t promptly identify outbreaks in elder care facilities and is now scrambling to stem the tide of cases and deaths, a Palm Beach Post investigation has found.

Florida National Guard strike teams dispatched by DeSantis last month to test at nursing homes proved to be nothing more than a flyswatter against a viral swarm.

COVID-19 fatalities linked to elder care centers comprise nearly half of the deaths in Florida and the percentage rises every day. Yet nursing homes and ALF residents and staff comprise only 2% of the state’s population.

Between April and May, the death toll at nursing homes and ALFs increased nearly 600%. By Sunday, COVID-19 deaths of residents and staff stood at 1,076, which is 48% of the state’s total 2,237 fatalities, according to the Department of Health.

Mary Mayhew, secretary for the Agency for Health Care Administration, said back on March 16 that “timely testing for our elderly and medically frail is mission critical.”

But it took a month after the first Florida cases bubbled up on March 1 before the administration even tried to get a grip on outbreaks by ordering elder care homes to report their COVID-19 cases to the state.

At least five other states have mandated testing of all seniors, as well as staffers, but DeSantis has no plans to do both presently. His administration asked facilities only two weeks ago how many staffers needed testing.

“It’s AARP’s view that we can do a lot better,” said Jeff Johnson, the state director for Florida.

“If you look at the fatalities, we have seen a significant decrease in the impact everywhere but long-term care facilities — and an explosion in long-term care facilities.”

Governor backs off ‘surveillance testing’

After saying he would conduct only “surveillance testing” at facilities, DeSantis changed course last week and will at least partly try to adhere to federal guidelines by testing all staffers over the next two weeks, The Post has learned.

Beyond that it wasn’t until this month that DeSantis made basic infection containment, like isolating COVID-positive residents, a requirement, not a suggestion.

He ordered elder care centers two weeks ago to isolate them or ship them out to hospitals or another home without cases.

Also last week, he announced a Jacksonville nursing home that hadn’t opened yet would take COVID-19 patients who can’t be isolated in their current facilities.

DeSantis has trumpeted that he avoided the avalanche of deaths like in New York and New Jersey because he prohibited hospitals from transferring positive cases back to facilities. But he didn’t ban the practice until May 5.

DeSantis said at his May 13 news conference that 32,000 residents and staffers had been tested by the Florida National Guard. An estimated 355,000 people live and work at nursing homes and ALFs in Florida.

By DeSantis’ own figure, that is less than 10 percent tested.

The National Guard did not answer questions on the scope of its testing operation, and the governor’s spokeswoman didn’t answer repeated requests for comment.

Kathryn Hyer, director of the Florida Policy Exchange Center on Aging at the University of South Florida, lauded DeSantis’ efforts in closing down visitation to elder care centers. But when asked whether DeSantis did enough early on, she said, “That’s a really tough question.”

“The real problem they had was with the National Guard doing testing, and it was taking 10 days to get results back,” she said. “The issue remains testing.”

DeSantis said May 13 that the state had plenty of test kits, but that it was beyond the capacity of the National Guard to test all residents and staff. He encouraged the workers to go to a drive-up testing site on their own and for facilities to test on their own with supplies from the state.

That is when DeSantis said he favored “surveillance” testing, taking samples of staffers and workers at randomly chosen facilities.

“You're not testing everyone when you’re doing surveillance,” DeSantis said. “You’re trying to test representative samples and figure out if we see any flare-ups in any of these facilities.”

But two expert government health agencies say that all staff and residents need to be tested. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services also recommend testing regularly.

It’s only been in the past two weeks that the governor ordered all staffers at the state’s roughly 4,400 nursing homes and ALFs to submit to tests. Until mid-May, testing had been voluntary for staffers, and it remains so for residents.

Repeatedly, it has been the much-maligned elder care industry still reeling from the fallout of 12 heat-related deaths at a South Florida facility in the wake of Hurricane Irma in 2017 to take the lead.

It was the industry that pushed for DeSantis to fix his error-prone, bare-bones list of facilities with COVID cases. The list was released April 26 under legal threat by news outlets, including Gannett, which owns The Post.

Individual nursing homes and ALFs refused to take positive COVID patients back from hospitals, industry sources told the Post.

Again, DeSantis didn’t order hospitals to stop until May 5. Elder care groups and advocates also told The Post this was also the first time the state officially banned the practice.

Now, DeSantis plans to test all of the roughly 200,000 staffers in the next two weeks, the Florida Health Care Association told The Post last Wednesday.

And it’s the industry again who will help him meet that mandate of the federal government. But the recommendation to governors by Trump’s coronavirus task force was that all residents at facilities be tested, as well.

The association told The Post on Wednesday that the testing of staffers will come from a combination of nursing homes and ALFs testing on their own, staffers visiting drive-up sites and the National Guard. Several of the other states do it that way and some rely entirely on the elder care centers.

“The governor does have the plan to meet that goal in long-term care facilities in the next two weeks,” said Kristen Knapp, spokeswoman for the association. “I would say there has been a collaboration.”

The AARP’s Johnson is empathetic to the task confronting DeSantis and state health officials. Like many governors working without a coordinated national response, DeSantis was forced to go to the open market to obtain tests.

“They have been doing everything they can think of to do, but it hasn’t been enough,” he said.

“Until you can get to the point that you can test everybody before they walk in the door and know whether they carry the virus, you are always going to be playing whack-a-mole.”

In the month leading up to the state’s canvass for cases on April 1, deaths in long-term care were clustered in geographic areas — the majority in Broward County and more than one in Duval.

Since that time, the problem has spread around the state, with 28 deaths at Fair Havens Center in Miami-Dade, 25 at Seminole Pavilion Rehabilitation in Pinellas County, 22 at both the Bristol at Tampa nursing center in Hillsborough County and Coquina Center in Volusia County, and 22 at Highlands Lake Center in Polk.

In all, as of Sunday, state health officials are reporting 29 long-term care facilities with death totals that have reached double figures.

The stakes go beyond the confines of the nursing home or assisted living facility. Staff members go in and out of facilities, and without finding and containing their infections, the virus can easily spread to the community.

‘Headlines so frustrating’

At this point, the long-term care industry is punch drunk from the bevy of news reports about the rising number of deaths and homes with significant outbreaks, as well as the ever-shifting sands of guidance from state and federal authorities.

“The headlines are so frustrating. I want people to know we are working hard,” said Knapp.

Nursing homes and ALFs say they want testing but worry that they will be held liable for any outbreak in a state where 85 percent of COVID-19 fatalities are among the 65-and-older set.

“The more testing you have, there are potential to be positive cases, but I don’t think having a positive case is an admission of failure for a facility,” Knapp said.

At his May 13 news conference, DeSantis touted how fighting the virus infecting Florida’s seniors has been a priority for him and his agencies since the beginning. He cited how he shut down visitation on March 15.

He pointed out how the state has provided personal protective equipment to the tune of 10 million masks, 1 million gloves, more than 500,000 face shields and 160,000 gowns for long-term care workers and how the state has led the way on testing.

But the state didn’t make a concerted effort on testing until mid-April, six weeks after Florida ’s March 1 order declaring a public health emergency.

DeSantis announced on April 13 that he was mobilizing teams from the Florida National Guard to go into nursing homes “proactively” for testing.

Two days later, the state revealed for the first time the death toll in nursing homes — 122.

A month after the launch of strike teams, DeSantis said, 32,000 had been tested.

But it clearly wasn’t enough.

The state’s testing method up until now has not been an effective way to stem the tide of COVID-19 and is of little value, one ALF operator said.

“The testing is going to provide false reassurance to people,” said Deborah Lytle, a registered nurse who owns Amazing Grace Assisted Living Home, which has three residential ALFs in Palm Beach County with six residents apiece.

Lytle favors antibody testing for everyone and a doubling down on infection control.

“Just because you are negative today doesn’t mean you are negative tomorrow,” she said.

The lost month

State officials knew early on that the coronavirus strain was spreading rapid fire through long-term care facilities.

Just one week after visitation ended at nursing homes on March 14, the first 19 cases were disclosed by the state. In five days, they had doubled.

The deaths began after a 77-year-old man living at Atria Willow Wood Senior Living in Fort Lauderdale went to the hospital with flu-like symptoms — fever and shortness of breath. That day he was on a respirator and taken to the ICU. He died four days later on March 17.

The same day a 92-year-old man would be found dead in his bed by his wife at Willow Wood.

They were the state’s first nursing home deaths, according to state medical examiner data obtained by Gannett.

The first cases of COVID-19 in the state were announced March 1. But it took a month for the state to ask nursing homes to report cases.

In the meantime, seniors died. Fifteen residents in long-term care — seven of them at Willow Wood — succumbed to COVID-19.

Seven people total who lived at Atria Willow Wood would die.

In a pandemic where weeks count, the state had already lost four in the battle to save the frail.

By mid-April, more than 1,300 nursing home workers and residents had tested positive.

In Florida’s daily report on Sunday, 1,741 residents were infected and another 2,385 transferred to hospitals or other facilities. There were 2,040 staffers who had the virus. Deaths had increased by 75 from Thursday to 1,076.

DeSantis has repeatedly said the reason the state didn’t have more nursing home deaths as seen in the Northeast was because hospitals were prohibited from sending COVID-19 positive residents back to facilities.

He presented a slide that said he implemented such requirements in mid-March. But Florida didn’t officially direct hospitals to keep COVID-19 seniors from elder care facilities until deaths were mounting.

Neither his spokeswoman Helen Aguirre Ferré or his office responded to requests for any order in March directed at hospitals regarding transfers.

Elder care experts told The Post the real reason New York and New Jersey suffered was due to elder care workers using subways and trains, which are perfect incubators for the virus.

But DeSantis insisted it was his actions regarding hospital transfers that prevented so many more deaths.

ACHA Secretary Mayhew on March 16 acknowledged elder care centers’ concern about hospitals sending back seniors without a negative COVID-19 test. But she stopped short of ordering hospitals to discontinue the practice.

“We want to encourage and support hospital physicians to appropriately test our high-risk elderly populations and medically frail for COVID-19,” she said at a news conference.

Hospitals in March were already sending residents back to facilities to await test results, according to the ME data.

DeSantis has also said ACHA and the Department of Health behind the scenes provided logistical support and made elder care facilities the top priority.

“Those early actions were supplemented immediately in March and throughout the crisis as things have developed,” he said.

But after banning visitation March 14, it took Florida two more weeks to ask nursing homes and ALFs for a census of COVID positive residents and staff. DeSantis resisted requests by the media to release names of these facilities.

When DeSantis finally did release information on outbreaks at nursing homes and ALFs, there were facilities with active cases left off the list and others without an infection included.

The industry pressured the state to fix its error-prone list. The new list, however, gives only a daily snapshot of infections, so it is difficult to know the true extent of the outbreaks.

Well, I'm not completely sure about some of those criticisms. After all, it doesn't really criticize DeSantis's quarantining measures themselves, just attacks the timing. But wait, I have here another article that finds issues with the quarantine/isolation policies! It seems that although the measures were strict on paper, in reality the state was shoveling money to designated COVID nursing homes without actually caring much whether they were any good at actually containing COVID, and the approach didn't scale well when COVID cases really spiked in the summer.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/2020/09/18/florida-picked-nursing-homes-spotty-records-covid-isolation-centers/5814498002/

quote:

In the days before COVID-19 pounded Florida with the power of Thor’s hammer, Gov. Ron DeSantis repeatedly bashed New York for sending elderly coronavirus patients from hospitals back to nursing homes.

DeSantis’ touted the state's own solution back in May to relieve hospitals: Seniors who still tested positive for the novel coronavirus but were well on the road to recovery would be sent to a new and yet-to-open Jacksonville nursing home.

Florida ended up designating 23 isolation centers before DeSantis' administration abruptly — and surprisingly — reversed course on Tuesday, announcing it was shutting down the project by stopping admissions at all the facilities by Oct. 1.

The isolation centers were DeSantis’ favorite talking point in protecting seniors in elder care facilities. They were also quite lucrative for the industry at taxpayers’ expense.

Yet, one-third of the isolation centers picked had spotty records on infection control or financial issues that could affect the care of the patients most vulnerable to the disease, a Palm Beach Post investigation found.

And a number of the isolation centers rank in the Top 20 in the state for the number of COVID deaths at facilities.

“You look at the overall ratings, they are not the best facilities in the world. You don’t see the five-star nursing homes going out to designate themselves to be COVID facilities,” said Brian Lee, director of the advocacy group Families for Better Care and who for seven years served as Florida’s ombudsman at the Department of Elder Affairs.

Lee said it seems as if the state just threw darts at a map of Florida to pick the isolation units without checking their own inspection reports. Some of these isolation centers were just dedicated wings at nursing homes while others were COVID only.

The Post investigation found:
- Violations at three centers involved the care of COVID patients and protecting others from the deadly virus.
- Seven of the isolation centers picked have been on the state’s watch list for not meeting minimum standards for nursing care or not correcting violations, COVID or not, in a timely manner.
- Two are part of a chain ordered to pay a $250 million fraud judgment that could put the chain out of business.

As a result, COVID-positive seniors were shuttled for the summer to isolation centers, some of which have struggled with even handling day-to-day care of residents pre-pandemic.

The state’s Agency for Health Care Administration, which regulates nursing homes in Florida, said it always rode herd on these isolation centers.

“The agency thoroughly reviews the regulatory history for nursing homes serving as COVID Isolation Centers, and COVID Isolation Centers receive enhanced oversight given the resident populations they serve,” the agency said in an email in August to The Post.

“Further, we are in daily communication with these providers regarding the status of admissions and discharges of residents.”

Brian Lee, director for Families for Better Care, says Florida's COVID-19 isolation centers for seniors in nursing homes "are not the best facilities in the world."
Ten of the isolation centers, though, failed quality assurance checks that verified COVID data submitted by the nursing homes to the Centers Disease Control and Prevention, The Post investigation found.

“That’s stunning,” Lee said. “How is it possible that nearly half of these facilities designated as isolation facilities are pushing invalid data? That begs the question, ‘What about the data these facilities are sharing with state officials?’ How is AHCA supposed to reimburse facilities properly if the counts are incorrect in so many cases?”

Just last month the isolation centers were going strong.

As of Aug. 26, AHCA reported 1,003 patients in about 1,600 beds in the 23 COVID isolation centers. The agency reported in August that 363 patients had been transferred from a nursing home or assisted living facility to a COVID isolation center and another 1,945 patients were transferred from hospitals.

Eighteen of the 23 have reported 242 deaths in total by Sept. 12.

Cashing in on COVID
Palm Beach County has four COVID isolation centers.

One, Avanté at Boca Raton, somehow missed for three weeks that a remote-control door opener had been pilfered, allowing a resident who had refused to follow contact precautions to escape. He was found across the street on a park bench hours after his flight, records show.

Avanté at Boca was on the state’s watch list in November. It has received an overall below-average Medicare rating and been fined more than $76,200 by federal officials for violations in the past three years. Still, an Avanté executive joined DeSantis at a Miami news conference on July 7 to tout the success of the isolation centers.

The three other isolation centers in Palm Beach County are Lake View Care Center in Delray Beach, Oasis Health and Rehabilitation Center in Lake Worth Beach and Consulate Health Care of West Palm Beach. They have not been cited for any infection control problems in the past year yet have a total of 41 COVID deaths between them.

All rank among long-term care facilities with the most COVID deaths in Palm Beach County, a Sept. 13 Department of Health report shows. Oasis has 17, Lake View has 14, Avanté has 12 and Consulate has 10.

Isolation centers were certainly money-makers for the elder care industry.

AHCA said Monday that elder care centers receive $325 per day for Medicaid patients needing COVID care in addition to the normal reimbursement rate, which averages $240 per day. That breaks down to about $17,000 a month for one COVID patient in an isolation center — all at taxpayers’ expense.

Nursing homes can get additional money from private insurance and Medicare, the agency noted. “That is a huge windfall for them,” Lee said.

The elder care industry has also reaped billions of dollars in federal assistance because of COVID, the advocate said. The pandemic plays right into a dynamic that has always benefited nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

“The worse the care the nursing home delivers the more they get paid. They get a higher reimbursement for pressure sores or urinary tract infections,” Lee explained. “So it’s an incentive for the homes to take COVID patients. That’s because it’s more money.”

This cash register rang loudest in the creation of a 150-bed Miami isolation center.

The Miami Herald reported in July that the state's Department of Emergency Management forged a $1 million-a-month deal to turn a former hospital owned by Nicklaus Children’s Hospital into a 150-bed isolation center that would be run by Avanté Group.

Miami lawyer Alex Heckler coordinated an earlier deal for the hospital, now known as Miami Care Center, that fell through. Heckler was a friend of emergency management Director Jared Moskowitz and contributed to his campaign when he served as a state representative out of Parkland, The Post discovered.

Heckler registered as a lobbyist in May for Avanté Group.

The Miami Care Center stopped taking COVID transfers on Monday. What happens next for the 2½-month-old facility — such as operating as a for-profit nursing home — is unknown but the taxpayers forked out a fortune of $1 million a month either way.

Wendy Milam, corporate director for education at Avanté Group, said after Avanté was asked to run the Miami facility, it identified other communities with need and agreed to open up other facilities for COVID patients “to help decompress the hospitals.”

Besides Miami and Boca Raton, Avanté has isolation centers in Orlando and Melbourne.

“The opportunity to help the community during this pandemic fits perfectly with our mission to serve, care and heal,” Milam said.

The state was quite aware of past deficiencies and the corrective actions taken at its facilities, she said. “AHCA has been very supportive in our opening of these centers,” Milam added.

DeSantis is shutting down the isolation centers even as federal health officials — such as Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, predicted a conflation of COVID and the flu in the U.S. come the fall and winter.

The closing of the isolation centers comes after the state recently opened up visitation at elder care facilities. Florida is also reportedly eliminating every-other-week testing of staffers at long-term care facilities.

Lee said he thinks the state decided the isolation centers were just too expensive in the end.

Outbreak in Lauderhill
No isolation center has drawn more criticism than the one in Lauderhill in Broward County.

Before the state designated it an isolation center, an April state inspection found numerous problems with how Nspire Healthcare Lauderhill in Broward County handled COVID.

At least 18 residents were affected by poor practices in preventing the spread of COVID that put all 97 residents at risk, an inspection report said.

Residents, even roommates of COVID-positive residents, were found wandering the halls without masks and weren’t shuttled back to their rooms, a key practice required by Broward and others for controlling the disease.

Some staffers didn’t even know which residents had tested positive so they could isolate their roommates and don proper PPE when caring for them, inspection reports show.

Lauderhill Mayor Ken Thurston says getting information from the state on a COVID isolation center in his community has been nearly impossible.
By mid-May, 58 residents and 22 staffers were COVID positive, according to daily reports from the state Department of Health. In June, the facility was designated an isolation center.

“Instead of correcting what is wrong, the state turned it into COVID-19 only,” said Ken Thurston, mayor of Lauderhill, a bedroom community in Broward County.

Miriam Pastor, Nspire’s president, said in a June statement that the facility was picked because of “excellent care that is being provided.”

They reported 23 COVID deaths as of Sept. 12.

Jessica Bocanegra lost her grandmother to COVID at Nspire Lauderhill and said the facility had no business being an isolation center.

“Honestly, I think it’s ridiculous for that center to be a place where all the COVIDs go,” she said. “I don’t think they have good protocols. I don’t think they have good administration.”

Bocanegra’s main criticism of Nspire Lauderhill was that it was too corporate and unresponsive to families. Most of the isolation centers belong to companies with numerous facilities.

The city of Lauderhill remains unsatisfied.

Coronavirus cases in the city have tripled since early June from 92 on June 1 to 356 as of Thursday, DOH reports show.

Earlier in the pandemic, the city expressed its concern to the state about its rising number of COVID cases. The state sent in an epidemiological team to determine whether the virus was under control, Thurston said.

In response to a complaint in March, the state found no deficiencies. However, the next month, inspectors found quite a few problems, including COVID measures taken by the facility.

The facility is on the state watch list because it had failed to meet requirements for a working generator — an issue since 14 residents died at a nearby nursing home in stifling heat following Hurricane Irma in September 2017.

“We have asked the Department of Health for information on how they made the decision to select this particular nursing home. Why did you pick a failed nursing home and make it all COVID?” Thurston said.

“We have got no answers to the questions we’ve asked.”

Another Nspire facility, in Miami-Dade County had “repeated deficiencies related to infection control” four years in a row through 2018. It has recorded 24 deaths.

In November, Nspire Miami Lakes was cited for a break in infection control standards that had the potential for cross-contamination.

Fraud judgment
At other isolation centers, The Post found similar problems with infection control.

Seven staffers and the head of housekeeping at Hillcrest Rehabilitation and Healthcare in Hollywood had to be re-educated on COVID precautions after inspectors saw them doing several things, such as not wearing surgical masks, that could spread the highly contagious virus from their only COVID-positive patient and the person’s two roommates who were being isolated.

Hillcrest has recorded 25 COVID deaths, tied for the most of any isolation center.

Another isolation center, Oakbridge Health Care Center in Lakeland, is operating on a conditional license after it was shut down in December 2017.

Medicare and Medicaid stopped payments after a litany of negligence complaints, recorded in inspections and in lawsuits. It has been on the state’s watch list since 2017 for not correcting a variety of violations.

Oakbridge had deficiencies that included harm to a patient who became unresponsive for at least two days, according to an ACHA complaint, and didn’t get appropriate care because the nurse was tending to more than 50 patients. The patient didn’t go to the hospital until family members called 911 and ended up in intensive care.

Oakbridge has not reported any COVID deaths to the state.

An appeals court in July upheld a quarter-billion-dollar fraud judgment against Oakbridge’s owner, Consulate Health Care, the largest nursing home chain in Florida. Company leaders said paying the fine could lead to “immediate economic extinction.”

A Consulate home in Palm Harbor, Countryside Rehab and Healthcare Center, was cited in June — as it was caring for COVID-19 patients — for poor use of personal protective gear. Inspectors found at least three nurses wearing masks that had been pulled down. Countryside also had been cited for minor hand-washing problems in August 2019.

Like Hillcrest, it has recorded 25 deaths.

Consulate did not respond to questions for this story.

And finally, a resident at Clear Choice Conway Lakes Rehabilitation and Health Center in Orlando, which has experienced only one COVID death, had an infection that could cause symptoms ranging from diarrhea to life-threatening inflammation of the colon.

Despite signs warning that PPE must be worn because the patient was in isolation, a nurse in late July was found in the resident’s room chatting without wearing any protective gear. The nurse also didn’t wash his hands. Another staffer didn’t wash her hands when she left the room and wore her PPE in the hallway, which was against the rules.

Strategy abandoned
DeSantis’ numerous victory laps back in May almost always had him taking digs at New York for allowing hospitals to send seniors with COVID-19 back to elder care facilities.

The idea in New York was to free up beds but a state directive there ordering hospitals to send these seniors back to facilities was akin to pouring gasoline on the fire.

More than 6,600 New Yorkers in elder care facilities lost their lives to COVID as of early May. The number of deaths is believed to have nearly doubled since.

Florida has tallied 5,350 deaths in elder care facilities.

DeSantis touted in May that an AHCA order forbidding hospitals from discharging positive seniors back to elder care facilities spared Florida a similar fate even though the order had come down only a few days earlier.

Dr. Larry Bush, an infectious disease specialist at Wellington Regional Medical Center, said the isolation centers were a godsend for the hospitals, which had basically become custodians for these seniors who tested positive but were otherwise just a little sick or asymptomatic.

“It frees up the hospital to take care of other people,” Bush said. “It just lightened the load.”

It became apparent to the state over the summer that a handful of isolation centers were inadequate when cases in Florida surged dramatically.

As hospitals filled up, the state scrambled to add more isolation centers.

The Lauderhill mayor says that a facility in nearby Tamarac became an isolation center because, as he understands it, all of the beds at Nspire were filled with COVID-19 patients.

Florida went from one on April 14 to five in May. By the end of June the state was up to 23.

This whole idea of isolation centers for COVID-19 seniors came to fruition after Duval County nursing home operator, Dolphin Pointe Health Care Center’s co-owner Geoff Fraser, pitched the idea.

At first, the state balked, floating the idea that Dolphin Pointe could take just overflow patients from hospitals, but eventually it came around to Fraser’s approach, he said.

Dolphin Pointe took residents from Central Florida, the Tampa area and the Panhandle and has had 220 patients successfully go back to their elder care centers, he said. It has recorded three deaths.

Fraser said setting up these isolation centers isn’t as easy as just housing COVID residents together. He said there have to be rigid PPE protocols, extra staffing and extra infection control.

Seven of the facilities are like Dolphin Pointe — nursing homes that had yet to open but became isolation centers.

But then AHCA said other facilities pitched themselves as isolation centers.

The agency said that staff who care for COVID patients do not provide care for non-COVID residents. “There should be no crossover of staff or residents and no shared spaces,” the agency said.

AARP says the most serious cases are still centered at elder care facilities, not isolation centers, and the crisis remains. The industry remains ill-prepared to corral the coronavirus and the organization is not surprised that isolation centers have problems.

“Four of 10 five-star facilities in the U.S. have been cited for infection-control problems,” said Dave Bruns, AARP’s spokesman in Florida. “So infection-control problems are endemic and have been endemic in elder care facilities for decades.”

He stressed AARP understands that the Department of Health, AHCA and DeSantis have tried with these isolation centers to address the problem, but that nursing homes, both residents and staff, represent 2 percent of Florida’s population but more than 40 percent of all cases and deaths.

“They have put in tremendous efforts and done what needed to be done on many occasions, but it hasn’t worked. There are too many deaths, too many cases,” Bruns said.

“This pandemic has cruelly exposed all of the long-standing problems in long-term care in Florida and in America.”

Let's jump forward a year or so in time and see how Florida's nursing home policies worked out in the long-term. Let's check in on things in August-September 2021 - well after vaccines became available.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/09/15/florida-leads-nation-in-nursing-home-resident-and-staff-covid-19-deaths/

quote:

More nursing home residents and staff died of COVID-19 in Florida during a four-week period ending Aug. 22 than in any other state in the country, according to an AARP analysis released today.

Florida accounted for 21 percent of all nursing home resident deaths due to the virus nationwide. The data shows the state with 17 percent of staff deaths nationally during this time.

“These sadly predictable data trends are also preventable,” said Jeff Johnson, AARP Florida state director, in a press release. “The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to get vaccinated.”

The elder advocacy organization used most recent Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services data, which is self-reported by nursing homes nationwide.

A total of 237 seniors and 13 staff in the state died during this period.

The delta variant surge has once again spotlighted Florida’s nursing homes, which were hit particularly hard in the early days of the pandemic. A third of the state’s deaths overall have been among people living in long-term care facilities.

Florida currently ranks second worst for staff vaccinations, lagging behind all other states except Louisiana. A little less than half — 48 percent — of Florida nursing home staffers have been vaccinated.

The state leads the nation in new COVID-19 cases among staff, with 94 percent of nursing homes reporting staff infections during the monthlong period.

Staff vaccine rates have improved by three percentage points within the last four weeks of data, however.

Florida long-term care facilities are working to incentivize employee shots ahead of a Biden administration rule that will require nursing homes to mandate staff vaccinations, which is expected to be released later this month.

“The hesitancy that you see among our staff is no different than the hesitancy you see out in the community,” Kristen Knapp, communications director for the Florida Health Care Association, which represents more than 80 percent of Florida nursing homes, previously told the Times. “We are doing things every day to try to encourage our staff to get vaccinated — we’ve done social media campaigns, put out PSAs posters, given financial incentives. This is not for a lack of trying.”

It’s hard to assess the current toll of the virus on people living and working inside long-term care facilities, as Florida stopped sharing this data with the public in May.

Federal data used in the AARP report lags by about two weeks, and does not include information about the situation inside Florida’s assisted living facilities, which are not required to report to the national government.

About 22 percent of nursing homes are experiencing staffing shortages, according to Medicaid and Medicare data, up from 18 percent in the previous monthlong period.

Huh. Kinda seems like maybe DeSantis didn't do all that great in the long run. In particular, because DeSantis eagerly pushed to start lifting restrictions and opening everything up as early as fall 2020, as soon as the first wave passed, Florida was hit extremely hard by Delta. And by mid-2021, Florida's nursing homes had the highest COVID death rate in the country, as the new and even-more-deadly variant swept through poorly-vaccinated nursing homes. And of course, no lessons were learned, leading to case rates going even higher when Omicron hit.

And as the final blow against DeSantis's brilliant nursing home policies, he just signed the "No Patient Left Alone Act", a new law he'd championed which not only bans healthcare facilities and nursing homes from preventing in-person visitation if the patient is lonely or unhappy, but also prevents them from denying entry to unvaccinated people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
As it happens, I agree with "legislation isn't enough". But the answer isn't revolution or passing more left laws or anything like that.

The answer to fixing America is changing people's opinions. Large-scale political and community organizing at a low level. Not led top-down by politicians, but bottom-up by folks like us on the ground. Not in favor of political parties or political movements, but in favor of political positions.

Basically, people need to stop treating politics like sports-team bullshit that they're mere spectators for, and start organizing independently of political parties to focus on supporting their communities and getting mass public support behind the policies they want. Less "well :actually: according to this set of polls, the people already support my chosen policies" and more getting people to really genuinely push for change. Stop expecting politicians to lead the charge for change, and start working to create a situation where the public is dragging those politicians kicking and screaming toward change. Yes, sometimes that means building an actual mass movement, not just pointing to a poll that says 60% support among respondents or whatever. It's not just about getting people to hold an opinion, it's about getting them to Care.

Even at times like this, political power fundamentally flows from the bottom up. Legislators and presidents do have influence over public opinion via control of messaging and media, but they aren't all-powerful totally unaccountable dictators who rule over the hapless masses and tell them what to think. Even the largely-unaccountable Supreme Court has limits to how much it can really ignore public opinion, as the Taney Court once learned the hard way. Regardless of whether your chosen political path is electoral, judicial, or revolutionary, you're not going to get anywhere without building public support. And instead of helplessly depending on The Democrats to do that work for us, the left needs to get started on doing that ourselves.

That goes for the GOP, too. Whether it's Trump's antics, the anti-democratic measures like election-rigging and coup attempts, or bigoted attempts to roll back basic rights like new abortion restrictions or the "don't say gay" bills, it's only succeeding because a very significant portion of the electorate is perfectly fine with it. And the right clearly understands that, which is why they've spent more than half a century sharpening their knives, building their movements, and waiting to take revenge for rulings like Roe v Wade and Brown v Board. Yes, I know all about the silent majority and how the majority of the US populace doesn't vote, and so on. But despite all that, 30% of eligible voters turned out to VOTE for Donald J. Trump in 2020, after four years of TRUMP and McConnell, and in the middle of a historic pandemic.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bishyaler posted:

Capital makes sure this will never happen through control of the media. Political commentary is carefully tailored to pit working people against each other and to never allow left-leaning answers to common problems. So unless you have a way to shut down the corporate media, revolution is still the answer.

If you don't have wide public support nationwide for your movement (and I'm not talking "well polls show they agree with my policies", I mean real "people will take to the loving streets by the tens of millions in support of our specific political movement") and you don't have the strong and enthusiastic backing of the military, revolution is nothing more than a cheap fantasy.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

World Famous W posted:

Is a grassroots effort (that can actually get systematic change done) managing to not get coopted or strangled in the crib by the capital controlled media and political parties also not a cheap fantasy?

And before I'm accused, I'm not saying do nothing. I'm saying

It's certainly possible. If grassroots movements could be so easily defeated just by media pressure, then white supremacists and the FBI (but I repeat myself) wouldn't have needed to assassinate so many leaders of major grassroots movements back during the heyday of community organizing.

The media is powerful, but its power against organizing from within the community has traditionally been kinda on the weak side, which is why various religious-political communities have been able to so powerfully resist media influence. The trick is to have someone that people trust more than the TV. That's why media pressure usually focuses outside the community in question, seeking to demonize the community in question and turn other communities against it.

If anything, I'm more concerned about the growing influence of the internet in replacing that kind of stuff. Existing community entities like churches are increasingly taking marching orders from internet stuff, while people who lacked community in the first place are being lured into filling that void by becoming politically-useless podcast bros or Twitter reply guys.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ The strategist in the story thinks so too!

Here's the Politico story in its entirety, so as to not further confuse what was said with what people think has been said, or who was doing the saying of it:

Does this help quell your concerns about what I've posted, Kalit? Because the strategist himself believes there will be a correlation between Biden's low approvals among younger voters and the results of the coming elections.

That seems like rather a significant misreading of the article. Rather, it's the reporter who sought to draw a connection between Biden's approval ratings - a connection that the strategist who specializes in youth voters specifically rejected as incorrect and irrelevant.

quote:

But if operatives are just focused on who’s in the Oval Office, or on Biden’s approval ratings, they’re “not looking at the right data,” Della Volpe said. He pointed to the third of young Americans who said they still planned to vote in 2022, according to his December Harvard Youth Poll. That’s equal to what participants told him in spring 2018, ahead of the midterm when Democrats flipped the House. Since then, they’ve formed a voting habit over two elections, another indication that youth turnout might be higher in 2022.

That's a pretty far cry from your original claim that "the youth vote looks to be dropping off". In fact, of everyone quoted in the article, Della Volpe is by far the most optimistic about Dems' chances with young people. He points out that Dems can't simply take the youth vote for granted, sure, but he seems to think that the Dems will be fine if they just remember to keep communicating and reaching out to young people. In particular, although he highlights the importance of issues like climate change and student debt, he doesn't insist on the Dems prioritizing actual policy gains there - he simply tells them to keep "extending the conversation" to remind youth voters that Dems are "not finished":

quote:

It starts with communication, Della Volpe said, suggesting regular “check-ins” to update them on policy progress and citing Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s (D-N.Y.) disciplined cadence of Instagram posts as one example of this in practice.

Then, “empower them,” Della Volpe said. He noted that Democrats can sometimes stand in their own way in reaching young people because “they’re intimidated” and they “get weighed down in the transactional nature of politics.” Della Volpe pointed to the tack Biden took as he locked up the Democratic presidential nomination: “Say, ‘where do we agree with Bernie Sanders’ groups? Where do we agree, and what’s the process to get there?’”

Della Volpe listed a handful of policy areas where potential executive actions from Biden “would very quickly capture the attention of [young] people.” The list includes student debt, mental health, climate change and dealing with the rising cost of living.

“In large part, they have been following up on these issues, but it’s about extending the conversation in new and different ways to remind people that we’re not finished,” Della Volpe said, citing as one example Biden’s announcement of a mental health initiative during his State of the Union address.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Great point about the writer (as well as others quoted in the piece) being more negative about the youth vote than the guy Biden hired to hone messaging that convinced young Bernie supporters that Biden would work on their concerns!

We'll have to wait to see whether the strategists can continue to do their magic in convincing young voters that Biden cares about them & will make their lives better as well as they did with their crafted messaging in 2020.

That's an oddly pessimistic take on Della Volpe for someone who was citing him with such confidence (almost as if you were appealing to his authority) just a bit ago.

Willa Rogers posted:

I linked a story about a Dem strategist who's advising Democrats on obtaining & retaining the youth vote, which strategist has noted that it's slipping, after I was challenged for a source.

I don't understand your point of contention with what I said; are you arguing against the statements by the strategist in politico story, or against my question as to whether there was another Dem president who had high approvals among the olds and lower approvals among the youngs.

Because I said nothing about approvals being linked to actual voting (the Politico story, however, did link the two) and, indeed, I stressed that the youth vote could end up giving the Dems a supermajority after the midterm elections.

Do you know of any other presidents for whom that's true about the age groups?

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ The strategist in the story thinks so too!

Here's the Politico story in its entirety, so as to not further confuse what was said with what people think has been said, or who was doing the saying of it:

Does this help quell your concerns about what I've posted, Kalit? Because the strategist himself believes there will be a correlation between Biden's low approvals among younger voters and the results of the coming elections.

Willa Rogers posted:

But I wasn't the "convinced" one; the political strategist was!

I was challenged on my statement that "the youth vote appears to be dropping off." When I was challenged on the statement, I linked to the Politico story in which the political strategist says that the youth vote appears to be dropping off.

I'm baffled by your objections to my stating what a story said, then my posting the story in its entirety to show what the story said, and then your telling me that you're not convinced by what I'm pointing out that the story said, and then your adding qualifiers like "significantly" that I never posted.

:shrug: indeed!

That said, when your other sources are people who seem intent on comparing turnout in 2020 (a presidential election year) to turnout in 2021 or 2022 (an off-year and a midterm year), Della Volpe comes out looking like the best of the bunch even if you don't want to credit his specific area of expertise.

It's only natural for Democratic strategists to be pessimistic about youth turnout, because youth turnout is always low, and especially so during midterms. Even in 2018, where 18-29 turnout rose by 16 percentage points, 30-44 and 45-59 turnout both rose by 13 points, and only the 60+ group didn't keep pace (but they also had the highest turnout to begin with, so they stayed in the leading position by a fair margin). Anyone who's making youth support a significant part of their campaign strategy can't ever forget them for even a moment.

Besides, who else are you gonna ask for advice on youth turnout? The progressive strategists who were convinced that Sanders' progressive promises would activate youth voters well beyond normal levels and carry Bernie to the nomination on the shoulders of millennials? Clearly they don't have the full story on what'll get young people out to the polls.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The NYT's new project to do monthly focus groups of random Americans is a journalistic treasure. Sometimes, it is very interesting and sometimes it is very hilarious. This one leans a little towards the latter.

This one is a group of only men (of various ages, races, and incomes) who said they "lean conservative" when asked to self-identify. Half of them recently became conservatives and the other half have been life-long conservatives.

The focus group subverts expectations again.

"Black, middle-aged, conservative agnostics, who work in mortgage financing and live in Maryland have the toughest lives in America" is not where I thought the focus group of conservative Americans would end up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/opinion/conservative-voters-america.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytopinion

Really? A racially-diverse lineup of well-off retirees and white-collar workers seems like exactly what the NYT Opinion section would aim for. It's the perfect demographic spread to portray a sympathetic view of the group to the NYT's primary audience.

That said, it's still basically bringing Trump Safari in-house. So while it's pretty funny, and it's a good reminder that voters are often more ideologically chaotic than we tend to give them credit for, I'm still annoyed at the NYT about it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

What was particularly "sympathetic" about the conservative participants' replies?

Also, as pointed out, it's one of a series of focus groups the NYT is sponsoring. Why are you annoyed about this one, or are you annoyed in general with focus groups?

eta: I will posit, not in particular response to you but in general, that I think focus-group answers tend to rile people up bc they're unfiltered, and fb- or twitter-style algorithms don't hide them from view for those who hold opposing beliefs.

Sympathetic to the NYT's core audience of affluent and highly-educated centrist-liberals, I mean.

The typical Trump Safari article goes to a 99%-white town far from a city to interview random older blue-collar workers and retired blue-collar workers, playing into the typical "wealthy Northeastern liberal" idea that most conservatives are just uneducated white rednecks.

By contrast, this article selected a majority-minority grouping composed almost entirely of white-collar jobs, many of which require a college degree. That's a grouping that appeals a lot more to the sensibilities of the NYT's traditional audience.

And frankly speaking, I don't trust the motives of the NYT Opinion team, and that includes Deputy Opinion Editor Patrick Hawley, author of articles like A Republican Leader's Idea For Our Supply Chain Crisis (which is just a multi-paragraph lineup of excuses for letting Josh Hawley write an article for the Opinion section) or How Conservatives Think About George Floyd’s Death and BLM. The guy loves focus groups, certainly, but a newspaper's Opinion section running focus groups just to print transcripts as Opinion pieces raises some concerns about the methodology.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Seems like the Biden administration has come up with some new messaging on inflation.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1513989086947721221

I'm not shocked they tried to pin the blame on Russia, but the phrase "Putin Price Hike" is gonna get old so fast, and I seriously doubt that any of the people getting hit by inflation cares whose fault the price rises are anyway.

I guess it's a good chance to see how much reach the Dem messaging machine these days, since "Putin Price Hike" is so obviously trying to force a narrative.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sharkie posted:

Do you think using federal troops to support the Little Rock 9 was martial law or a bad thing to do?

https://www.nps.gov/people/the-little-rock-nine.htm

The federal troops were dispatched to enforce a court decision and uphold the laws. Eisenhower didn't describe his dispatch of federal troops as being justified by moral considerations, he described it as “Mob rule cannot be allowed to override the decisions of the courts”. He wasn't sending in the troops because he supported racial equality (something he was reluctant to take a public stance on), he was sending them in to enforce a court order and prevent the state government from defying that court order. And even then, the lawsuits and legal wrangling continued for years afterward, including one year in which the public schools were shut down completely in order to evade the requirement to integrate public schools.

If the Texas law were to be appealed up to the Supreme Court, and then the Supreme Court clearly struck down the law, and then the state not only refused to abide by the court ruling but actually sent in the National Guard to block local governments from following the court ruling, then we could start making Little Rock Nine comparisons.

Bishyaler posted:

So the argument is that fascists should be allowed to exist in society, hold positions of power, harm vulnerable communities until a lengthy legal process ostensibly forces them to stop; because using force against them is a small part of the definition of fascism?

This entire argument is sidestepping the political reality that Republicans will hold a permanent majority in congress after midterms, and almost certainly the presidency in 2024. What is the plan when the republican-controlled DOJ is no longer interested in stopping human rights violations at the state level? What is the plan when SCOTUS gives the green light to state-level abuses?

This is exactly like when Trump was in power, we had Democrats allowing the abuses to occur and holding their breath waiting for Trump to trip up on a rule so he could be removed from power, and of course that never worked. Because the rules aren't sufficient and even if they were, they don't work at all when half of the government decides it doesn't want to do the job.

Anyone who argues that fascistic abuses of vulnerable populations will be stopped by the legal framework of America hasn't looked at our southern border or our prisons lately.

Who decides who qualifies as a fascist and deserves to be summarily removed from power by military force? What kind of process is going to be put in place, and what kind of oversight? Are we just going to declare that the president of the United States has unlimited authority to overrule any state law he doesn't like and unilaterally oust any elected official at any level of government? Are we gonna let some executive official or agency run the political purge-and-imprison list the same way they run the no-fly list? Or should we endow a House committee with the power to investigate these kinds of Un-American Activities?

Without real answers to these questions, all this talk is just pointless fantasy - or worse. After all, there's an ongoing humanitarian disaster right now involving someone who claimed the authority to send in the military to purge fascists from a government, and then used that power to massacre Nazis and non-Nazis alike.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bishyaler posted:

The government is currently applying this very process to remove extremists from the military, a model already exists. You have a million questions about how this can be done fairly, what will the rules be, unfair comparisons to witchhunts for groups who weren't trying to overthrow the government. At some point liberal handwringing and demands for bureaucracy are legitimizing fascists and the positions they hold: "It would be too complicated to identify or dislodge them so we shouldn't try." or "Someone did this in bad faith, so we can't attempt this in good faith."

The bottom line is this is what leftists are talking about when we say liberals are complicit in the coming fascist takeover. There are means to stop whats happening and what's coming, but liberals refuse to help because doing so would break the rules. And we can't rely on liberals after a fascist takeover either. Fascists promise order and rules and leftists promise justice through chaos. Guess which liberals side with historically?

Yes, I have questions about how "this" can be done fairly, what the rules will be, and so on. It'd be nice if you could actually answer them, instead of accusing me of "liberal handwringing" and "demands for bureaucracy".

See, we're talking about "this" here, but the "this" in question involves using military force to conduct political purges on state governments, ousting elected officials at gunpoint and banning them indefinitely from politics. When you're proposing something like that, it's kind of important to have answers for at least basic questions like "who decides what qualifies as purge-able" (because it sure as hell isn't going to be you), "is there an appeals process", or "what kind of oversight will be in place to prevent abuse and corruption".

If you really sit back and think seriously about it, you're basically proposing that Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, and a 50-50 split Senate engage in a nationwide unilateral political purge at a scale not seen since the end of the US Civil War. Saying "fascists" a bunch isn't a magic spell to make the considerable practical and political difficulties disappear, and you really ought to know better than to assume that these powers will unerringly be used only against people you personally disapprove of.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

NPR did a local segment on this yesterday and reminded me that the party in power gets to draw their own district maps, which is completely nuts. That's like the home team appointing their own umpire to call balls and strikes. I don't know what sort of independent third party you could get and, honestly, I expected DeSantis' map to have a lot more really bizarre shapes. I was listening to the show though and wondered why they simply can't just define districts by county until I realized there are 67 counties in the state.

It's getting worse too. It's always kind of sucked where I live but was borderline tolerable. Lately though it's becoming more and more red, aggressive and mean spirited.

The bizarre shapes are usually around urban areas, since that's where you're more likely to see clearly Dem-leaning neighborhoods and clearly GOP-leaning neighborhoods in close contact to each other.

It's hard to see on that map with the numbers in the way, but if you look real closely around Miami, you'll see some pretty funky shapes. Not only is District 20 extending a tentacle into District 25, but it's also squeezed a couple bulbous growths along the line between 21 and 22 to gobble up a couple small areas. I'm not familiar enough with South Florida geography to know exactly what's going on there, though.

Meanwhile, in the case of Jacksonville and Tallahassee, the lack of funny shapes is probably good for Republicans as well. Those two cities have relatively large numbers of African-American residents, and by splitting those cities across a couple of large districts, the map dilutes the Dem-leaning urban black voters in a sea of GOP-leaning suburban and rural whites.

That's one of the trickier problems in redistricting: Florida has a significant African-American population, but in any individual geographic area, black voters won't make up enough of the population to really make a difference in voting for a representative. As a result, black voters will have essentially no influence on House race results there unless some districts are drawn up specifically to include more black areas and exclude white areas. But on the other hand, packing more black voters into one district means removing black voters from other districts, making them whiter. The line between "ensuring African-Americans have some impact on the selection of the state's representatives" and "packing all the black voters into one ultra-gerrymandered district to create one safe Dem district and a bunch of leans-GOP districts" is one the Florida legislature has been feuding over for decades.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

So are there any laws that prevent Elon Musk from buying 9% of Twitter, then publicly offering to buy the entire company outright at a premium, thereby driving up the price, then selling his shares for a quick windfall?

Oh, it's definitely very illegal. But Elon's been flaunting the SEC for years at this point, it's no surprise he doesn't fear them.

The SEC sued him in 2018 over his "taking Telsa private at $420" tweet. The suit was ultimately settled with a $40 million fine, making Elon step down as chairman, adding more independent members to the Tesla board, and requiring him to have tweets containing "material information" about Tesla pre-approved by Tesla's legal team.

In 2019, he tweeted out more material information without approval from the lawyers, so the SEC tried to get him held in contempt of the agreement. But the judge just told them to "put on their reasonableness pants" and "work it out" with Elon. This resulted in an amended settlement which clarified the conditions under which he needed approval (which was necessary since Elon himself claimed the right to decide whether or not a tweet needed approval from Tesla's lawyers).

The SEC subpoenaed Tesla again in November 2021, seeking more info about Elon's Twitter oversight after he tweeted that he was considering selling some Tesla stock (which raised concerns about insider trading). Musk responded in early 2022 by complaining about "endless harassment" from the SEC and seeking to have a judge terminate the settlement, saying he was "coerced" into it. So far there hasn't been any real legal movement on this front; I assume Musk is showboating and feeling out the judges, while the SEC is going to take their time and build up an especially solid case before they drag Musk back to court.

Aside from that, he's also facing a March 2021 lawsuit from a Tesla investor mad about his erratic tweets, and a couple of Twitter shareholders have already sued him over the late disclosure on his Twitter stock purchases.

He's definitely flaunting laws and court agreements, and the SEC is definitely gunning for him, but who knows how long it'll take for the richest man in the world to face consequences, or how many consequences a judge will actually allow?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Velocity Raptor posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times, but how does Iowa passing a state law allow them to dictate what another state can and can't do? How does that prevent RI from going first? :decorum:?

It doesn't dictate what other states can do, it dictates that Iowa's state parties have to pick a primary date that's earlier than any other state's primary. As I understand it, if Rhode Island decided to hold their 2024 primary on January 1st 2024, then Iowa Dems would be legally required to schedule their 2024 primary in 2023 or earlier.

Here's the actual legal text in question:

quote:

43.4 Political party precinct caucuses.
1. Delegates to county conventions of political parties and party committee members
shall be elected at precinct caucuses held not later than the fourth Monday in February of
each even-numbered year. The date shall be at least eight days earlier than the scheduled
date for any meeting, caucus, or primary which constitutes the first determining stage of the
presidential nominating process in any other state, territory, or any other group which has
the authority to select delegates in the presidential nomination.
The state central committees
of the political parties shall set the date for their caucuses. The county chairperson of each
political party shall issue the call for the caucuses. The county chairperson shall file with
the commissioner the meeting place of each precinct caucus at least seven days prior to the
date of holding the caucus.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you want to get philosophical about it, technically there is no such thing as “justice” under a capitalist society and certainly not in the US since it is an oligarchy.

The firing squad also makes no sense as one close-range shot can do the job while the reason for the firing squad is to purposely miss, cause pain, and extend the suffering. At that point the firing squad may as well be made up of family members impacted by the individual sentenced to death (ignoring if the accused is even truly guilty). It’s all revenge fantasy bullshit.

(Edited for clarity)

The use of multiple shooters in firing squads is, I believe, meant to emphasize and reinforce the authority of the system. It demonstrates the power of the authority carrying out the sentence by showing that it can command multiple people to carry out the execution, rather than just a single professional executioner.

Additionally, for much of the gunpowder era, firing squads were largely a method of military execution, and therefore demonstrated the authority of commanding officers by allowing them to force soldiers into the role of executioner. There were also various tie-ins to the conceptions of militaristic culture and old concepts of honor, though with factors like the increasing use of military force in colonial expansionism (since firing squads were also extremely convenient for a military force to use out in the field), they were largely a mockery of such concepts even before firing squads made their way back into civilian law.

Of course, there's also the widely-repeated explanation that it allows soldiers to disperse the guilt of execution by preventing them from knowing who fired the fatal shot, but I suspect that's a more recent addition that came long after the introduction of multi-person firing squads. Though I can't find any documentation on how old the practice is, I'd be rather surprised to see it be much older than the late 19th century.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Fanboy posting from any political tendency is what kills the thread. Sometimes that comes from loud and unreasonable arguments about doing things that are impossible. Sometimes that comes from people who don't want the possible to happen screaming very loudly about how actually that's impossible and we can't do it so stop whining.

The issue comes when people stop discussing verifiable facts and sourceable info and instead just start screaming at each other. For example, in order to discuss potential cases in which the government could force states to do things, we could draw parallels to previous periods in which the federal government attempted to force states to do things. We could look at what the government was able to get away with, as well as where it faced either legal or practical limitations. There's actual historical events we could reference and compare conditions to, and it would make for a more interesting discussion than simply speculating might.

In particular, it's worth noting that posts in this thread have no impact on the real world. Arguing in this thread for something to be done will not cause that something to happen. Similarly, arguing in this thread that something is impossible will not cause that thing to not happen. What actually causes things to happen or not happen are various real-world factors that are not affected in the slightest by any posting that happens here. So if someone says that something is impossible, I think it could be cool if instead of accusing them of being "people who don't want the possible to happen", we could assume that they're talking about their honest assessment of those real-world factors. We may believe that their assessment of those factors is incorrect, or we may believe that they're making incorrect comparisons or applying the wrong factors, and I think discussion would generally go more smoothly if people could keep their objections and counterarguments in those kinds of vein - instead of just throwing ideological labels at them and telling them to shut up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LegendaryFrog posted:

The proximity of the assertions about “basically every elected official in both parties qualifies as a fascist because fascist enablers are no different than fascists themselves” and “fascists should be put to death” is pretty 👀

How does the idealized version of consequences and societal improvement play out for people that hold these views?

I assume people aren’t actually advocating for a Qanon style “our people take control over government and then host televised public executions of every corrupt politician, which is all of them.” and instead there is just some wide generalization going on. But I am curious on what a positive outcome looks like for some of you.

Personally, I'd be shocked if these theoretical anti-fascist purges stopped at just elected officials. After all, no matter what kind of number games you play with polls and no matter how much influence you think party machines have, it's pretty hard to deny that both Republicans and Democrats currently have a lot more public support - and all the policies being decried as fascist have a fair amount of public support as well.

What happens if you oust the fascist candidates, and then their districts just vote the fascists back into power by overwhelming numbers? What happens if you ban the fascist candidates/parties, and their districts just vote new fascist candidates/parties into power? What happens if you take away those districts' ability to elect their desired representatives, but then they don't stop wanting fascists even after four years or eight years or twelve years? Are you just gonna put somewhere between 40% and 90% (depending on how broadly you define "fascist") under permanent military rule? I can't see how something like that doesn't end in bloodshed - and I don't see how the left as it currently stands has any chance of coming out on top after that bloodshed.

Seriously, historical lessons are important here. The South revolted in an actual traitorous revolution, and was defeated in an actual loving shooting war in which a quarter-million Confederate soldiers died and the political rights of leading white supremacists were revoked, and then the South spent over a decade under military rule (during which soldiers had to be dispatched several time to drive out white supremacist militias that conquered state capitols by force and ousted the Reconstruction governments). The Constitution was amended more than once to add anti-discrimination clauses. And all of that still didn't stop Southerners from instituting effective apartheid basically the instant cracks appeared in the North's political willingness to completely exclude Southerners from government. In the end, this regime of official apartheid endured for nearly a century before finally being switched to plausibly-deniable unofficial apartheid, which still endures to this day. And let's not forget that even before all of this, the anti-slavery movement was dominant enough in national politics that the anti-slavery Republican Party was able to win the presidency. So when someone proposes that leftists will conduct a far greater and more-enduring purge despite having far smaller numbers than the Union Army and far less public support than Lincoln and the Republicans, it's hard to see how that would actually work.

This entire conversation from both sides appears to be assuming that this anti-fascist purge will only have to revoke the rights of a few thousand people (mostly politicians). But in 2020, 81 million people voted for Joe Biden and 74 million people voted for Donald Trump. Combined, that's 155 million people, or over 60% of eligible voters. Even if you only define Republicans as fascist, those are some pretty unfavorable numbers, which only get worse if you include Democrats in your definition of "fascist". For comparison, the current prison population in the US (one of the most incarceral states in the world) is roughly 2 million people, the US military has roughly 1.4 million active-duty personnel, and the total membership of DSA is around 92,000.

Josef bugman posted:

How does this prevent large scale voter suppression? Does this also prevent things like blue state legislatures maybe beignf flipped red at some point, do you believe that votigg alone will change things for the better?

If so good. But a lot of prior successes for civil rights, rights to work and so on were won through violence alongside voting.

You're correct here, but there is one extremely important caveat that you're missing: both voting and violence require a large amount of strong public support to be effective. What moved the needle on things like civil rights and labor rights were large-scale movements that had the numbers and reach necessary to seriously upset things across the country if they wanted to. The implicit threat of "if you don't let us get what we want through fair voting, we'll get it by whatever means necessary" only works when a movement can muster a large amount of people in the first place. And when I say "strong public support", I don't mean that people will say on a poll that they support the issue position or movement. I mean when people consider the issue a major political priority, to the point where they're willing to become a single-issue voter over it or even get arrested over it. If your movement is actually pretty small and has very little strong public support, then you're gonna find that violence is no more effective than voting.

That's why the number one thing, fundamental and foundational to all political action inside or outside the system, is to win either the support of the public or the support of the military. Not by making empty promises about what you'll do once your movement gains political power, but how you're going to help them now and how you're going to fight for better things now. Stop talking about the federal government and start talking about how you're going to help communities. If the people at the top are corrupt (they always are), start from the bottom. Grassroots, community activism, stuff like that. You need to win wide support and build a movement, and only then can you start talking about voting or violence as if either one is a viable path to power.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

All of these are terrible events. I agree that it's a shame we didn't discuss them more. What if they have some kind of common root cause? Some sort of shared set of conditions which lead to these situations. Wouldn't that be a good topic for the current events thread

Is there anything any of us can do here besides leave our senators voicemails about the FDA thing? It's so hosed when companies take their big balls of money and use them for political leverage.

If you want to propose that all current events have some root systemic cause, and constantly drag all current event discussion back to that root cause, then that might be better suited to its own thread. That way, people can discuss current events in the current events thread, and they can discuss your unified theory of politics in a thread about the total reform of our entire political system.

Otherwise, we're just repeating the USPol mistake of lumping together all US politics discussion into a single thread so that a few posters' larger ideological theories are constantly drowning out discussion of day-to-day political events.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Washington Post employee union released a report alleging, among other things, a systematic failure to protect minority employees.

An excellent demonstration that just hiring more black reporters isn't going to fix things if the company culture itself is still hostile and discriminatory. Wish this would put an end to "pipeline problem" theories that it's just a matter of a lack of black employees.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 18, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Florida is returning 41% of their math textbooks and updating their curriculum to ban the use of those books in order to comply with the new law banning critical race theory in public schools.

The most disappointing thing is that the Florida Department of Education didn't provide examples of math problems that promoted CRT. Would have been very interesting to see what specifically got them kicked off the list.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1516045165835792387

Well, this certainly isn't an encouraging preview of how the media's gonna cover the impending Education Wars.

While "critical race theory" was one of the reasons that textbooks could be rejected, other reasons that fell under the prohibited topics category included "inclusion of Social Emotional Learning" and "mention of Common Core or adherence to the Common Core standards", both of which DeSantis has been trying to purge from Florida education.

CNN is emphasizing the CRT part, presumably because it's the latest and greatest conservative bugbear (and even the original press release made sure to place extra emphasis on it), but it's likely that more of the rejections came from those other two groups. SEL isn't too difficult to integrate into math, since you can do things like ask students how they feel about math, or add social aspects to word problems, or encourage lateral thinking and alternate approaches to problems. And it's pretty easy to see how math textbooks might incorporate a lot from the Common Core standards that are currently used in thirty-something states (down from the 46 that initially adopted them before the conservative counter-push led to several states dropping it).

The media hyperfocusing on CRT to the exclusion of the others helps to hide the fact that conservatives have been chasing education boogeymen for the entire 21st century, always finding a new one to attack as soon as they've defeated the previous one. The FL textbook purge just lumps all those boogeymen together into a single category as they seek to roll education standards back to what they were like a quarter-century ago.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

This is 100% culture war posturing from Desantis so he can look like he's standing up to a "woke" corporation. The land sits on like 3 or 4 different counties and would be an absolute bloodbath of jurisdiction in-fighting on top of the economic implications of pissing off Disney.

Disney sucks, but this is one area that is near the bottom of things that matter regarding their mega corp status and it would be great to see them destroy Desantis over threatening them.

Yeah, people have jumped from balconies and there was a child eaten by an alligator in like 2017. They just aren't legally declared dead on property. It's not frequently though, ~22 from 2006-2022 according to self reported data. The rides are all exceedingly safe (incidents are almost exclusively someone doing something dumb like putting their hand on the track or riding a coaster with a heart condition).

Yeah, it seems like DeSantis is going full culture war right now. He's also insisting that because Florida's pension fund owns some Twitter shares, Florida has grounds to go after Twitter for not letting Elon Musk take them over without the board's say-so.
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1516532855479816195

quote:

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is upset at Twitter’s attempt to block Elon Musk’s $43 billion attempted hostile takeover of the company.

DeSantis, no stranger to publicly menacing tech companies, is threatening to use his power as governor to inflict punishment. Is he sure how he’ll do it? He is not. In a press conference on Tuesday, the governor said the investment managers in charge of Florida’s pension funds were looking into ways the state could hold Twitter accountable for “breaching their fiduciary duty” via the shares of Twitter that already comprise the funds.

“They rejected [Musk’s takeover attempt] because they know they can’t control Elon Musk,” DeSantis said. “They know that he will not accept the narrative and that their little play toy of Twitter, it would not be used to enforce orthodoxy, and to basically prop up the regime and these failed legacy media outlets. And so that’s why they did it. It was not, in my judgment, because it wasn’t a good business deal.”

Last week Twitter’s board voted unanimously to adopt a limited duration shareholder rights plan that would let shareholders buy additional shares at a discounted rate if any entity, person or group (like, say, Musk) accrued more than 15% of the company’s shares. These tactics are one example of a firm enacting a “poison pill” that would turn an outright buyout by Musk into a financial disaster.

How exactly DeSantis would go about inflicting Florida’s wrath isn’t exactly clear. During the press conference, the Republican suggested the state could have standing to take action because the state’s pension fund owns shares of Twitter. Not missing a moment to take a jab at a social media company, DeSantis slammed Twitter’s stock, which he described as an “injury” to the state’s pension fund.

“It hasn’t been great on returns on investment,” DeSantis said. “It’s been pretty stagnant for many many years.”

This isn’t the first time DeSantis has had a public bone to pick with Big Tech firms. Last year, the governor led the charge on a sweeping, first of its kind anti-deplatforming legislation that would attempt to issue fines against companies like Twitter for removing public officials from their platforms. The bill, which was seen partly as a response to Twitter’s removal of former President Donald Trump following the January 6 Capitol riot, would have fined offending platforms $25,000 a day, or $250,000 a day if the candidate were seeking public office. Unsurprisingly, a federal judge issued a preliminary injunction blocking the legislation months later, citing serious First Amendment concerns.

“Like prior First Amendment restrictions, this is an instance of burning the house to roast a pig,” U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle said at the time. “Balancing the exchange of ideas among private speakers is not a legitimate governmental interest. And even aside from the actual motivation for this legislation, it is plainly content-based and subject to strict scrutiny.”

It's hard to see this as anything but an early presidential campaign.

And as a bonus, he's going after higher education too! With bonus corruption!
https://twitter.com/TB_Times/status/1516549000836620292

quote:

In a wide-ranging news conference at The Villages that took swings at Twitter and alleged that textbook publishers were peddling hidden agendas, DeSantis criticized what he called “lifetime appointments” for university professors.

“We need to make sure the faculty are held accountable and make sure they don’t just have tenure forever without having any type of ways to hold them accountable or evaluate what they’re doing,” DeSantis said. “It’s all about trying to make these institutions more in line with what the state’s priorities are and, frankly, the priorities of the parents throughout the state of Florida.”

Every five years, he said, tenured faculty would be required to go before their university’s board of trustees, which could part ways with them. The text of the bill does not give that level of specificity but rather states a five-year review would take place to be determined by the state Board of Governors. Each state university already requires tenured professors to take part in an annual review.

“Tenure was there to protect people so that they could do ideas that may cause them to lose their job or whatever, academic freedom — I don’t know that’s really the role it plays, quite frankly, anymore,” DeSantis said. “I think what tenure does, if anything, it’s created more of an intellectual orthodoxy. For people that have dissenting views, it becomes harder for them to be tenured in the first place and then, once you’re tenured, your productivity really declines, particularly in certain disciplines.”

House Speaker Chris Sprowls called the legislation a way to prevent “indoctrination.”

He also said it would increase transparency with a provision that would require course syllabuses to be posted online, preventing attempts by professors to “smuggle in ideology and politics.” Sprowls said it would prevent students from signing up for a class on “socialism and communism” when they thought they were signing up for “Western democracy” and classes about “what it means to be an actual American.”

“That’s what this bill is about,” Sprowls said. “Are (students) going to walk into a university system that’s more about indoctrination than it is about getting getting jobs someday and learning skills and the subject matter necessary to get a job? Or is it about some sort of radical political agenda that a particular professor that’s been told they get a lifetime job is going to tell them they have to believe to get an A in their class?”

Andrew Gothard, president of United Faculty of Florida, said the comments by DeSantis and Sprowls reflected a deep misunderstanding of how higher education works.

The bill signed Tuesday also took on accreditation agencies, requiring state universities to switch accreditors after each cycle. Some faculty leaders have expressed fears that the measure could cause Florida schools to lose research funds and federal student aid.

The provision stems from friction last year between some state leaders and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, the accrediting organization for universities in the Southeast. The group had raised questions about political influence at Florida State University and the University of Florida.

At FSU, the issue arose after education commissioner Richard Corcoran made a bid to become the university’s president. Corcoran spoke at Tuesday’s news conference in favor of the bill.

DeSantis said the provision created added accountability.

“It’s going to end this accreditation monopoly,” he said. “The role that these accreditation agencies play, I don’t even know where they come from. They basically are just self-anointed. They have an inordinate amount of power to shape what is going on at these universities.”

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Since a lot of people were wondering, DeSantis' spokesman did post one (1) single example of what they're decrying as CRT in math education.

Though it's not taken from a math textbook, or even from Florida. It's a printout from an online teaching documents site, which a Missouri Republican's wife got from a student and posted on Twitter two months ago.
https://twitter.com/ChristinaPushaw/status/1515504832550944769
https://twitter.com/ChristinaPushaw/status/1515506932089511940

Of course, it's obviously not CRT, nor does it have anything to do with race at all other than being about a black poet. Apparently, using the three letters "s", "e", and "x" together is now considered CRT. To say nothing of scandalous words like "pimp" or "abuse"!
https://twitter.com/CMartinForMO/status/1495939205511499777

So far, neither her nor DeSantis have given any examples of banned material in Florida textbooks. But just from this, we can get a sense of how widely they're casting the net and how far they're stretching the term. I'd guess that literally any content a hardcore conservative might find objectionable ended up covered under the CRT ban.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is the US legal system really so broken that the very moment some chud judge makes an unhinged ruling it takes effect until someone bothers to go through a process to challenge it? Is there no delay to allow for challenges? In reference to the mask mandate issue that the US government is just getting around to challenge apparently.

If the loser expresses a clear intention to appeal, and the appeals court thinks the ruling is imminently important and has a fair chance of being overturned, a stay can be placed on the order pending the outcome of the appeal. But generally speaking, federal judicial nominees have to be voted on by Congress (unlike local judges, which can be some random yahoo in some jurisdictions), so there's a built-in assumption that they're not going to be completely unhinged most of the time. Moreover, if there is broad national sentiment about the issue, Congress can always pass a law to resolve whatever issue the court found.

The system isn't really built to handle Congress using the courts as a proxy for ideological battles against the federal government like this. Most of the COVID-related measures being struck down by the courts are because, in the face of Congressional halfheartedness and inaction, executive agencies are interpreting their legislatively-defined powers extremely broadly in order to claim the authority to take the broad public health measures that Congress is largely neglecting.

There's also a risk in appeal: the higher a court case goes, the broader the precedent becomes and the more difficult it becomes to overturn later. The current Supreme Court hasn't been especially friendly to executive agencies claiming broad authority for public health reasons; they already struck down both the CDC's eviction ban and OSHA's universal mask mandate. Since the transportation mask mandate is a short-term measure that the CDC claimed it was keeping in place just to buy time to study the current wave, it could be that the Biden administration wanted to get a clearer stance from the CDC on the transportation mandate's importance before taking the risk of another court battle.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

Can someone explain to me, after Citizens United, how directly and purposefully punishing Disney for saying they disagreed with a bill isn't an infringement on free speech? Or how the government retaliating isn't cancel culture?

Or is the answer just Republican hypocrisy doesn't matter.

I don't think a ruling banning campaign finance restrictions really has anything to do with this. Citizens United and other related First Amendment cases say that Florida can't pass a law saying that (for example) Disney would be fined a million dollars every time they issue a statement against bigoted laws.

But there's no reason Florida can't respond to Disney's political speech by passing a law that hurts Disney's interests by revoking special treatment the state had previously granted Disney. Even if they openly admit it's retaliation for Disney's political stances, I can't really think of any specific First Amendment jurisprudence that would make this illegal. Maybe if it were something more impactful than just dissolving their special district.

Now, there might be other reasons based in Florida law that this is actually illegal, but it doesn't really get anywhere near Citizens United.

ReidRansom posted:

Isn't it all rather questionably close to being a bill of attainder?

Hard to say, but I think it's doubtful. A bill of attainder isn't just a bill that affects one entity or class negatively - it's a bill that brands them guilty of a crime and imposes the punishment for that crime. The fundamental nature of a bill of attainder is that it circumvents the judicial system, that it's the legislative branch taking it upon itself to impose crime and punishment on someone without judicial oversight.

It's something we're not really familiar with in modern America, but originates from the much weaker civil protections back in medieval England. Back in those days, if you managed to tick off enough politicians and/or nobles, Parliament could just pass a law saying "ReidRansom is guilty of murder and treason and shall be punished by execution", and then you'd go to the hangman as a convicted criminal, no trial necessary.

Probably the biggest example of modern bill of attainder jurisprudence in the modern-day US is United States v. Lovett, in which the House Appropriations Committee (at the urging of the House Un-American Activities Committee) held secret hearings to judge government employees accused of being communists, decided that three of them were potentially-disloyal subversives, and added a rider to a spending bill making it law that the government was not allowed to pay those three people anymore. The Supreme Court ruled that doing this was equivalent to declaring them "guilty" of "subversive activities" and "sentencing" them to permanent exclusion from government employment.

Another bill of attainder that got struck down was a Congressional attempt to meddle in a high-profile DC child custody dispute, effectively overturning the family court's ruling by immunizing one side from contempt of court charges. The court ruled that the Congress' purpose in passing that bill was "to assume the role of judicial tribunal and impose its own determination of who was or was not a fit parent" in the dispute, and inflicted "extraordinary reputational damage" by effectively branding the other parent a child abuser by legislative fiat.

On the other hand, corporations generally haven't had success pursuing that line of argument against adverse actions. For example, Kaspersky and Huawei both sued the Trump administration, claiming that moves to ban federal agencies from using their products were bills of attainder. In both cases, the court found their arguments unpersuasive, saying that the alleged punishment of "the government stops buying our stuff" was too weak, and that some individual legislators openly stating their intent to punish those companies wasn't enough to prove that the bill was based on intent to punish rather than the legitimate reasons given in the official bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Cimber posted:

So someone explain to me why Florida Republicans are currently punching themselves in the dick over Disney and are about to eat billions of dollars in debt?

They're betting they'll get more money from conservative megadonors than they'll lose from Disney cutting off their campaign donations, and DeSantis obviously has presidential ambitions so he doesn't expect to be sitting around dealing with Disney long-term. And it's not like the Magic Kingdom can just pack up and move to a different state.

As influential as Disney has been over government policy, it's not like Disney is actually an unstoppable political force - it's more that politicians have been predisposed to cooperate with big business in the first place, and are generally pretty easy to buy off as a result.

BiggerBoat posted:

This is so loving weird with this obsession with gayness though. God drat, I keep thinking that battle has been settled. My whole life, it feels like we have to keep dragging these morons kicking and screaming towards anything resembling social and cultural progress. Gay marriage didn't destroy society and repealing Dont Ask, Don't Tell didn't ruin the military. Interracial marriage was a big thing when I was growing up (stick to your own kind) but we made it.

The gently caress is wrong with these people? They take one ambiguous line from the bible and just ignore everything else. And this growing fascination with everything and everyone being pedophiles is just loving bizarre.

I'm pretty sure the big lesson here is that these issues looked more settled than they actually were. The political and media elite shifted positions on LGBT rights, which caused the old positions to considerably retreat from public view even though there were tons of people who still held the old bigoted positions. And although the media shift did help pull some people toward the new, better position, the impact of that was much less pronounced in regional and cultural enclaves that were strongly attached to the old bigoted position.

Just like how bans on interracial marriage were ruled unconstitutional way back in 1967, but national approval of interracial marriage didn't break 50% until 1997, and only 60% of Alabama voters voted for removing the interracial marriage ban from the state constitution in 2000. Approval for interracial marriage is now at 94%, but given that it's been nearly six decades since Loving v. Virginia, it's entirely possible that it's less a changing of opinion and more a dying off of the old people who remembered the pre-Loving days. Of course, it's not guaranteed that they'd fail to pass down their bigoted views to the next generation, so that's still somewhat of a victory, but no one wants to wait their whole loving lifetime for bigotry to go away.

VitalSigns posted:

It seems like the problem here is state laws (undoubtedly lobbied for by entities like Disney) that restrict local citizens' and their representative governments' ability to tax corporations and the wealthy appropriately, and the solution isn't to just put a corporate board that nobody voted for in charge of cities directly

I think this is a completely reversed interpretation. It's not that the special district was put into place to prevent those issues, it's that those issues will be the result of suddenly tearing down the special district immediately. It's a common issue in local government: doing new stuff creates ongoing obligations that don't go away later. Those ongoing obligations fell on the special district (and therefore on Disney), and suddenly dissolving it meant that all those costs that were Disney's responsibility will instantly fall on counties.

If the special district had never been created, then those obligations would never have been taken on in the first place. Disney overbuilt infrastructure beyond what the counties would have, because they knew they could afford to do it. Disney still paid taxes to the counties, but in addition to their taxes, they also paid for their own infrastructure. So if the special district is dissolved, then the counties don't get any more money (because the special district doesn't exempt Disney from taxes), but they get more expenses (because they're now responsible for maintaining the infrastructural and financial obligations Disney took on for themselves).

Since it's unlikely that DeSantis and the Florida GOP are going to repeal state anti-tax legislation, I think we can safely condemn them for doing this and sticking counties with the consequences of their posturing. And even if DeSantis did repeal those laws so that the county could raise taxes, that's still pretty regressive, because the county would be raising taxes on everyone to pay off Disney's debts. It's just transferring money from taxpayers straight to Disney.