Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BiggerBoat posted:

So nothing too big here

Just the wife of a supreme court justice going all in on the January 6 insurrection wanting to overthrow our government. As one does

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/24/politics/ginni-thomas-mark-meadows-text-messages/index.html

Read the whole thing seriously.

Also, if I remember right, there was a case that came before the court that she was involved in about a decade ago where Thomas should have recused himself but didn't. Might have been the ACA but I honestly don't remember

Jesus. I expected it to be more ... I don't know politically savvy? It's literally just her spouting the poisoned brain poo poo. The GOP is really just honest to god dumb as gently caress from the top down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Apparently the CDC overstepped it's role by attempting to protect us from idiots.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/politics/cdc-mask-mandate-ruling/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ah, DeSantis' own election police force... surely they'll only be used for good!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/25/politics/desantis-florida-election-bill-signing/index.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Guess it's time to consolidate to a direct loan!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
She even yells "I'm a murderer! I murdered my own child!"

That's some hosed up poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Normy posted:

According to the tweets anyone can request their house be blurred on google maps.

Yeah I've come across this a lot when house hunting.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Why is it disappointing? Tying aid packages together, tying any packages together seems like a guaranteed way to get it to fail, resulting in nothing.

Any time I see anyone propose a bill concerning multiple topics I assume they are doing this to put their pet project into the spotlight because they know it's doomed to fail because of the other additional items they have on it.

It's supposed to be a way of compromising. "Ok well if you want war funding to just enrich your cronies, then we want COVID funding to help those at home."

And, in normal political climates, it can be done. Instead, here, they're saying "hey if you want Ukrainian aid, we want COVID aid" and McConnell is just saying "no...." and the Dems are going "lol ok nm."

Then when it comes time to actually pass more COVID funding, McConnell is just going to block it.

These aren't poison pills tying to each other, they're more pork like.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah. Donald Trump could literally be President right now. People pretend things can't be worse, despite the fact that we have been very aggressively reminded by Justice Alito that they very much can.

I don't know there's something almost worse to the "you had your shot and royally hosed up... now it's our turn again." That sort of raw understanding that "your side isn't doing anything better" really entrenches apathy and enables the enemy to gain a stronger foothold than if they just would have one a second term.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh snap I got some red text. From just a few minutes ago? Is there a way to find out?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fritz the Horse posted:

No. Also congrats

Interesting - I believe it's the second time in 20 years! I think it just appeared so I guess someone was mad that I suggested having a failure of a democratic president can entrench the GOP even further. Awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean to be fair, if ISIS had infiltrated the US and assassinated a former President... I'm pretty sure the response would have been huge and insane.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
CNN has switched to "multiple people have died" so... Goddamnit. gently caress this loving country.

What a loving bunch of loving horseshit America turned out to be.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kirios posted:

I fear the much worse outcome is the accurate one.

It is, CNN/NYT/etc have all changed it to the higher count.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
At this point in our timeline, the fault lies squarely with the death cult and their fetishizing of weapons of destruction.

Without them in the way, we likely would have addressed the various root causes of a lot of this violence - or at the very least done a good bit to mitigate it where we could - as a country a long time ago.

Place the blame squarely on the GOP and the NRA and don't feel guilty about doing it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ImpAtom posted:

It is not easy. We have had to discuss with kids we tutor. All you can really do is run down the rules (lock door, under desk, wait for trusted person before emerge from hiding, don't try to be a hero)

You can't really explain why nobody loving cares when they get slaughtered.

We've begun explaining to our 8 year old how the US government, specifically Republicans, are actively trying to rule what they do with their bodies and make women and minorities second class citizens.

Like, at this point, I'm not even dancing around it. "There is a group of people out there who think you aren't as good as them and they want to control what you do. They're Republicans."

Might as well throw the gun control argument on the pile as well.

They already run "Code Reds" at school (Active Shooter Drills).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The mass shootings and school shootings are terrible, but we also overlook the fact that about 46,000 people die from guns a year in the U.S. and that 117,168 people are shot on average in the U.S.

The mass amount of non-mass shootings is just background noise at this point.

Excluding suicides, 20,192 people were killed with guns in the last year in the U.S.

It's 30 in the U.K.

Nobody is overlooking that. It's a large/main part of the "America has a gun problem" conversation.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Willa Rogers posted:

They've begun explaining to their 8 year olds how the US government, specifically Democrats, are actively trying to make people like themselves second-class citizens.

Like, at this point, they're not even dancing around it. "There is a group of people out there who think you aren't as good as them and they want to control what you do. They're Democrats."

:wink:

God gently caress you.

You're right. Maybe I should just "both sides" it to my 8 year old. Hell maybe I can make it her loving epitaph on her headstone when she inevitably gets shot by a mass murderer who explicitly has access to hate speech and guns because both of those are emboldened by the right wing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ yeah, a few people were doing that; look over the last few pages & also see social media responses.

I mean, I'm not a parent so it's not my place to say how to parent, but from the pov of having been an anxious kid affected by murders in the news I can't say that my parents painting 80 million americans as lunatics out to get me would've been mentally healthy or reassuring, nor effective as a figurative call to arms.

I don't paint them as "out to get her" like they're hiding in her closet, but when the discussion becomes "why is it happening?" then a more honest discussion tying into the same party that wants to restrict her rights is warranted. We haven't even *had* the gun discussion yet so its hypothetical (beyond the Code Red "remember to hide, lock the doors, etc"). We also paint it in terms an 8 year old can understand and isn't really in the language I'm using here on the forums. We also restrict her access to the news.

But yeah you probably *should* have just stopped at "I'm not a parent."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Willa Rogers posted:

That's not what I was doing, though; I was pointing out (1) that I didn't think that tack was particularly reassuring from a kid's POV, and (2) that the bedrock reality to the poster would be flipped on its head by their political enemies.

And where does that leave us for any sort of solution? Vote harder?

First, I don't know if there even is a solution to be honest. I think this country is too far gone for an actual solution barring something drat near cataclysmic (and even climate change is throwing that into doubt).

The tact I was taking with my kid was about women and their bodies and how the government wants to control it (and I was just hypothetically extending it to gun control by saying "well might as well throw this on the pile").

But yes of COURSE that is what the right is doing with their kids. Look at all the little kids in MAGA hats at Trump rallies.

And given how they are setting themselves up to be completely successful in a 3 branch takeover and cementing their rule for decades to come in every facet of life... this is certainly not the time to squeeze my eyes harder and just hope for the besties!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CommieGIR posted:

What IS Manchin serious about other than undermining Dem legislation and defending Coal barons?

Seriously does anybody ever call him out on this constant use of vague milquetoast "eh maybe I'd kinda do something... one day.. .maybe... but ya know this isn't the day. I'll know it if I see it."

Like he's just a loving king waiting to be feted or legislation brought to his feet. Does anybody ever say "hey motherfucker it's your JOB to try to come up with the solution... put an idea forward... anything at all!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I like Biden's speech. We need to make "there are other countries with guns and mentally ill people and this doesn't happen there" the main talking point.

Talking point for who? Nothing is going to get done. Tiny kids are getting mowed down and NOBODY ON THE RIGHT loving GIVES A gently caress. They aren't suddenly going to go "oh... yeah... actually there may be a path!" Because they have demonstrated over and over they aren't even interested in any paths. They don't want *anything* but total 2A freedom and to have as many guns as they want and gently caress you to literally anything else.

There's nobody on the fence about this issue that just needs the right words for it to click. There's just total loving stagnation in the congress that is preventing any movement.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The only real and lasting solution to gun violence is the over-arching "Just make people's lives materially better so they don't always feel marginalized and with their backs against the wall."

But...well that ain't the American way.

edit: and proper mental health care comes with that

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Youth Decay posted:

That is part of the solution, but not the whole solution. There are many class-stratified capitalist hellholes around the world and America has by far the most mass shootings by lone gunmen in proportion to our population. Shootings seem to correlate more to the rate of firearm ownership. Fewer guns, fewer shootings. I know that's not the politically expedient answer, but we cannot "solve" this without severely limiting private ownership of guns.

Oh I'm 100% on board with that too. I guess I was trying to frame it like in order to have *lasting* peace you need material improvement. Otherwise any reform that happens now is just going to be vilified and doubled down upon by the right and they'll mount an even more violent response.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kalli posted:

If you want something done you're going to have to do it yourself, for example:

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

Really sounding like the cops just sat around waiting for him to run out of ammo blowing holes in 8 year olds .

Jesus loving Christ

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

B B posted:

The press conference where the cowardly cops give an update about their response is going to be here:

https://www.kens5.com/video/news/li...a0-1463d9f54925

Can't wait to hear the same "brave first responders" garbage over and over. Just like the CBP spox talking about the two officers that first fired at the guy.

The way they write these things like babby's first Fairy Tale Golden Book is just so gross.

Also because they're lying.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vahakyla posted:

What loving kind of gotcha is this?

You are correct, I do not have a solution to american school shootings. I have some ideas how the nightmare, as it is unleashing, gets mitigated a little bit. Besides that, no, we haven't actually found a good way to solve them.

YOU GOT ME!

There is actually a solution. Repeal the second amendment, confiscate guns and make owning one a felony.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bishyaler posted:

This is only a solution for the problem "America's 2nd civil war isn't starting fast enough".

Also there is no reality where you have the votes to repeal the 2nd Amendment. This is just wishcasting.

It's the only *actual* solution though as evident by... literally everything happening around us. Regardless of it's impossibility.

Maybe you can engage in a decades long effort to make people's lives materially better and improve mental health, slowly gain control of the senate and then eventually pass some sort of gun control.

But that's not happening either.

I think we've all come to the conclusion that nothing is every going to happen about it and the world will burn up from Climate Change before we're able to act.

So might as well wishcast.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bishyaler posted:

I don't believe that electoralism or Democrats make things better, so no, I won't be engaging in that effort. Climate change doesn't appear to have an end in sight as long as capitalism keeps truckin' along, and if you ever want to end capitalism, history tells you that you'll need guns.

If I'm going to wishcast, I'll wishcast for revolution, a sustainable economy, and an end to artificial scarcity, not more power to a government that's entirely compromised by capital and undergoing a soft coup by fascists.

I mean I don't disagree with you. I don't think what I want - material improvements and proper gun control - are going to be achieved through traditional electoralism (especially with the Dems).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Terminal autist posted:

Making yourself permanently unelectable for every single position in your state down to dog catcher and then running a high profile campaign every cycle and losing while siphoning millions from winnable races isn't a viable electoral strategy.

It has to start somewhere though. It's obvious that anybody that tries to play it down the middle with hopes of making changes once elected gets their fires immediately doused by the 3 am bar-mat runoff that is the Democratic machine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is a tough read, but here's an account of what went on from one of the students in there.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/27/us/robb-shooting-survivor-miah-cerrillo/index.html

A kid having to smear herself with a dead students blood to play dead and then lay there for an hour, knowing there are police outside and wondering why they aren't helping.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bishyaler posted:

Typically violence is ended by violence. The only difference is that the people here appear to be arguing that the state should have a monopoly on that violence. The state which loitered in a parking lot for an hour while kids died screaming.

If the state had the monopoly on gun possession *this wouldn't have even happened.* There would be no situation to sit around and loiter.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bishyaler posted:

That's an interesting suggestion. How do you plan to make that happen?

Gun control.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Well it was a dumb loving question that needed a simple loving answer.

It sure as poo poo ain't going to happen with captain numb nuts over there

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bishyaler posted:

It wasn't a dumb question, I was attempting to lead you to the realization that you will never pass gun control before Democrats lose congress in the midterms and the GOP, having shredded voting rights at the state level, begin their permanent control of government.

Ok then, post-revolution gun control.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boy that is a big ole pile of "not saying poo poo."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mastershakeman posted:

Banning guns will solve deaths

Just like banning fentanyl and suing the opioid manufacturers made it so opioid deaths fell. Well, they fell off the front page at least

Boy this is some bad faith poo poo.

Guns are not as easily produced, concealed and distributed as drugs. You can scarcify the supply a lot easier.

There would need to be a prolonged effort to buy back or confiscate the assault rifles after the fact so it would need to be a sustained effort.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's the roughest 44 I've ever seen, good lord

Living in fear of literally everything around you 24/7 will do that to you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like things are accelerating as the GOP pushes our country down the hill toward the cliff.

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1532861299226460161?s=20&t=8XvnN5NlIGVm3A3Vt2i5QQ

The GOP has always been on the LGBTQ+ = pedophiles but I feel there is an even stronger concerted push for it right now.

Our town's Pride event's FB page is just being bombarded with "groomers and pedos" talk from its citizens.

I feel like they're setting this up to be one of the pillars of their Gilead so they can simply hang/imprison them without a shred of evidence.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We attended a pride fest today in North Carolina.

There was a drag queen story hour event that had the "groomer" Nazis up in arms and the city bowed to the pressure and cancelled that part. But then a Raleigh chapter picked up the sponsorship at the last second and it went off without a hitch. Kids loved it and even got to take pics with the queens. It was remarkably well attended.

Didn't see a protestor in site thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

McConnell is going to kill the Supreme Court Justice Security Bill because Democrats expanded the bill to include spouses and children of Justices, Supreme Court staffers, and Law Clerks. The bill makes Supreme Court Justices and those additional groups of people eligible for the same type of overtime/after hours protection as members of Congress can request if they are threatened.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1536466374469500935

Apparently, he thinks this is a political statement and does not want staffers or law clerks covered.

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/1536467379810717697

So basically McConnell wants to be able to hurt people responsible for the leaks. Got it.