Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

mastershakeman posted:

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

Yea if you just wait like 18 months the house's value will go up so much you will have over 20% equity and can get the PMI to go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Animal-Mother posted:

was catching up with old friends from my partner's master's degree cohort and she mentioned something offhand about how it's impossible for us millennial folks to buy homes now

and then like half of them said "uh.... we just bought a house, actually" (what was unsaid was "with a ton of help from our rich parents")

the class divide in grad school world is real. anyway, that was almost two years ago. they'd probably all be in the same boat with us today.

If someone gets substantial help from a parent to buy a house they are required to say "the house my parents helped buy" rather than "my house" whenever they bring it up. Sorry if this offends some spoiled people but that's the rules.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

empty whippet box posted:

are people buying these houses?

if so....why? and how? how could the market possibly sustain this?

Corporations and LLCs that are just the address are people to some.

For the actual humans that are buying just look at some of the replies in this thread. Rent is so high in places that you might as well just buy.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

i say swears online posted:

everyone that owns a home and posts itt has to list their home addresses for crash spots for when the rest of us are vagabonds

My place is at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500, it's an old remodel. If you need a place to stay just hop the fence and knock on the front door, I work from home most of the time.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I think there is plenty of room in the thread for tech workers who bought a house for themselves and normal people to hate on class traitors and aspirational landlords together.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Imagine making 10 times as much money as a friend and not always buying drinks when you hang out.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm curious about this claim too. From personal experience a lot of people have moved out of Seattle, still haven't moved back.

Some of the bay area tech companies were doing pay cuts if you were working remote. I bet that is going to bring a good amount of people back.

People moved out of Seattle? To where, Bellevue?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Zantie posted:

My parents never owned a house for me to grow up in.

Ahead of their time!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

i am harry posted:

what do you do about the sticking fetid clothes?

Laundromat

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

TheSlutPit posted:

Galaxy brain: Buy the house after it's already burned down to--the risk is priced in!

Oh thats a good one. I have a friend who wants to move to west Seattle so I sent them this https://redf.in/Q6yJoE

Oh hey look it's had a price drop!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bar Ran Dun posted:

special assessments

Yea, if you look at condos for sale and see one that looks like a great deal it's because it has like 50k of special assessments due soon or something.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do we as buyers figure out if a special assessment is coming?

can we kick down the door to the HOA and demand minutes/finances which indicate a special assessment is coming up?

Not sure, when I was looking my RE agent would get all the hoa financial disclosures which indicated funding after I put in an offer. When they got them quickly and completely that is how I knew the hoa had their poo poo together at least a little bit. All the times there was for sure an assessment coming up the sellers were up front about it even before I put in an offer. For potential assessments years in the future you have to figure it out yourself based on their funding levels.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

depends on the state some they’ll just give it to you, others you’ll never get it.

Thats hosed up, every offer I put in came with a contingency based on the HoA. I can't imagine buying a condo without knowing what the HoA financials are.

CongoJack has issued a correction as of 00:51 on Jun 29, 2022

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

lil poopendorfer posted:

That’s why they insulate exterior walls. HTH

Buddy I don't give a poo poo what the temp is inside the loving wall or crawl space, I want to regulate the temp in the actual rooms. Insulating the ducts means I use less energy to heat or cool my house.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

euphronius posted:

what is that island

what the hell

looks like it is set at the height for someone in a wheelchair

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have a condo, voted 3.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
holy poo poo you guys get really pissy and defensive about your metro area, don’t you?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bar Ran Dun posted:

some folks enjoy being pissy and a bit irritable at each other.

it’s relaxing.

that could be it I guess. If your metro area is truly so good it should be self evident that it is a good and nice place to live. when someone gets aggressive about it just looks like they lack confidence and actually are ashamed of the place they live. You should not be embarrassed by the city you live in, you may not have had a choice! It’s not your fault!

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I have bifold doors in 3 different places in my condo, but it could be worse. https://www.signaturehardware.com/p...BCABEgKwjfD_BwE

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bar Ran Dun posted:

people used to do that. buy a lot, put in a basement, live in it, build the house on top a couple years later.

but people also would just pipe their poo poo into streams too while waiting to save up the money to put a septic in.

there was a house in a town near where I grew up where someone had that goal but never got around to the house part. I think it is still to this day basically just a single story house that is sunk all to just like a foot above ground with a flat roof.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"I bought an expensive house and thus I get to tell other people where they can live"

All investments are subject to risk, bitch. Not sure why landlords and people who buy homes as investments think they are immune to this but it feels very good to remind them of that fact.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Paradoxish posted:

Because investments are actually risk-free if you're rich.

lol if I hear someone complain then they aren’t capital R rich enough and thus can eat poo poo.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
the legal system designed to keep capitalism rolling appears to have determined in favor capital again. checkmate bitch.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
can I have some of the loot?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Ammanas posted:

child rent

Hey now there’s an idea, probably illegal but that shouldn’t be a problem for very long.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

marchantia posted:

We live on a bus route in a midsized midwestern city which I feel like is the best of both worlds but I have a feeling this thread may disagree :shrug:

I live in the suburbs outside a major city and I feel like it suits me well. Your situation sounds pretty good, probably cheaper, too

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I talked to a rich guy once who said a rich neighbor of his had her house robbed by someone. She was home at the time but her house was so big the thief was able to enter, rob, and leave and she never even noticed he was there. Would give that thief a high five if I could.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bar Ran Dun posted:

bunch of the big property managers they took away any ability for the local person to deviate from the algorithm.

My favorite story about a property manager came from a property owner. The manager lowered rent for all of the properties he managed for close to a full year before quitting and the owner only noticed when they went to do their taxes and the income was way down. Using a computer makes sure things like that don’t happen and it probably makes life easier for the managers. They can just shrug and say they have no power over it anymore so they don’t have to spend time negotiating.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

PoundSand posted:

It is a college town and on the boarder with another college town in Moscow, nothing fancy there but there’s some decent bars/restaurants and it’s pretty bikeable/walkable. I dunno where you’d really have a job if not at one of the two universities but if you can work remotely there are worse places to live.

oh yea you know it could be a student or a student’s parent buying it and paying for with 529 money or however that scheme works.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Woodsy Owl posted:

Y'all don't have a cashiers check cut and walk it into the title company and get a receipt of delivery from the title company?

I wanted to do this but they wouldn’t tell me how much to make the check for until like 1 day before I needed to pay so I had to wire it. I wasn’t happy.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Thoguh posted:

For real where do you guys live where having a lawyer to close on a house is a standard thing. Even BFC’s housing thread just mentions them as a maybe nice to have if you feel like it thing that no one does and mostly just warns you to make sure you get title insurance.

BFC constantly tells people to hire a lawyer, they are one of two people in the process who is completely on your side during the transaction. The other being maybe the inspector you hire.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

indigi posted:

that seems so loving inconvenient to use. maybe the streets that have rowhomes are wider in Pittsburgh or something but I can't imagine trying to pull into a hypothetical first floor garage in the neighborhood I grew up in or any of my family lived in, let alone having to back out in the morning

Nobody uses a garage for parking vehicles anymore. Garages are just easily accessible ground level storage. Their crossovers probably don’t fit, anyway.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
being shorter would be more practical however short people are not treated seriously at all so in my opinion it isn’t worth making a change.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

palindrome posted:

wow do housing developments really do that big "shared mailbox pillar with key" thing that apartment complexes have? I thought part of owning a house in pitsburg was having your own bespoke mailbox that you can decorate like an andy warhol painting

yea unless you pay the post office a bunch of money you are getting a MBU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
if you have a gun range in your house there is nothing stopping you from getting drunk and heading to the range (in your house).

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My condo has a little detached garage and it rules. My buddy bought a house and the garage it has is like the same size as the living space. That’s too much garage in my opinion but it is incredible project space.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

i say swears online posted:

wonder if the neighbors are nice

I have been to Emmett many times and the people who have been there a while complain that too many people have moved there and have ruined it. Someone I know who has been there a long time had a couple new employees from California and he had to tell them both that they shouldn’t mention where they are from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Pittsburgh Bat Cloud