Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Made a mastodon account, seems neat but we'll see if it actually takes off.

Unlike a Tesla, we aren't locked into Twitter as it burns down.

Feels like every "If you like twitter you should switch to X" recommendations have either had weird signup/waitlist stuff like Mastodon with it's servers, or it's just not a finished product without a mobile app yet. I just don't see a lot of people switching over to a new platform if the signup is remotely convoluted. Is there like a good Mastodon server or how's that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Every time I try signing up for one of the big mastodon servers it just says you cant because it's busy and recommends a different one with like 100 users on it. I get that the servers don't really matter(?) but I don't think they're remotely prepared for an influx of users like they're seeing and just makes me want to give up on it entirely before getting past the account creation phase.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ErrEff posted:

If Muskie runs into problems with payment processors he can probably just buy one.

I work for a credit card processor that works closely with one of Musk's companies and this is becoming a realer sounding scenario every day. The CEO loving loves Musk too of course so I'm sure he'd happily sell to him.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Captain Beans posted:

Could he really buy them though? Isn’t the market cap of Mastercard and the others like 300 billion each?

Credit processors != providers; the company I work for facilitates payments with mastercard/visa/etc for restaurants, online businesses and such. It would still cost him a lot of money but nowhere near the cost of buying a credit card company outright.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Big Scary Owl posted:

I decided to try out Mastodon after hearing about it and I have no clue how it works

I managed to get one set up using "mastodon.online" but I am not following anybody and it's literally just an empty timeline. I see "#worlderies" was trending over the past two days with 31 people and that does not bode well when it comes to general discussion about things I'm interested in. I also noticed that I have to remember which server I signed up under and go to "mastodon.online" to log in because trying to sign in at "mastodon.social" won't work because I have no account there and it doesn't seem to point me towards where to sign in at. I had to reference the setup email a few times to remind myself which server I signed up under. People say it doesn't matter which one you sign up under because everything's still connected but my "local" timeline is totally blank so :shrug:

Really, I think getting a SA server for it would probably be the way to go.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Crap, quote isn't edit.

Anyways - why do you hate free speech, Mr. Musk?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589390597798125568

Oh wow, this one's real lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

~45,000 likes 10 minutes after he posts "Everybody go vote republican". :sigh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

good one, unfathomably rich person

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Robo Reagan posted:

that scene in a movie where the bad guys empire is crumbling so hes starting to lose it but its over a bird website

Except the bad guy still has more money than we can even fathom and will be fine after twitter dies

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/callmekitto/status/1589407148462964736
I was trying to figure out a way to phrase this but then I saw this tweet and this pretty much sums it up. It's like last day of summer camp or something on my TL with everybody exchanging alternate methods of contact.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's crazy that he's still tweeting exclusively about this verification poo poo nonstop. Like there are no other ideas at all about trying to make it a service worth paying for or any other improvements for twitter in general. He's just spending all day trying not to turn into a corncob about this one loving thing and it's absolutely insane to see happen in real time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Still hard to believe how quickly one man was able to make Twitter so deeply undesirable that nobody wants anything to do with it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1593368576777396226

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crazy how many "You can find me at X" is going on on my TL right now lol.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Someone else mentioned it already but Twitter going away is hilarious and good but it's going to leave a huge void for easily disseminating information to the general public both foreign and domestically. Stuff like organizing civil rights protests or basically the entire Ukraine/Russia war up to this point. I'm not going to go to Tumblr for live reactions of Ukrainians taking over tanks and that kind of thing. I dunno, just been thinking about how non-English speaking Twitter has been handling all this lately.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scratch Monkey posted:

The best part is Trump probably won't come back because that would be tantamount to admitting that his own dumb network is a failure

He'd be back in a heartbeat. He'll just say it's a bigger success than any other social media platform ever created while spending his whole time on Twitter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yikes

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wildtortilla posted:

Holy poo poo what is the source of this clip?

Looks like a mobile game ad to me

edit beaten

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"Elon, look at me and my bedside table! I drink coke too! See! Elon? I have guns too Elon!"

poo poo is so loving pathetic god drat it really is just trump and his cultists but different.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

All this talk about ads on twitter and weird stuff making it into their recommends makes me realize that since I've used Tweetdeck for desktop twitter viewing I never once had to see ads or random poo poo in my timeline and it's not even a thing you have to pay for it's just.. going to a different website to use twitter. I guess tweetdeck is owned by twitter now so until they force the "new look" or get rid of it altogether I'll just stick to that and continue never going to https://www.twitter.com to look at twitter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goatface posted:

What is actually made of? I have never encountered this beverage.

It's like if someone mixed chocolate milk powder with plain seltzer water

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kazil posted:

Does Musk just agree to anything someone tweets at him?

Correct

Edit: Gah dangit

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"I can't run for president? Woke mind virus. Reply 'YES' to this twitter poll if you want me to be president!"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zzulu posted:

I don't really understand what the threat of trans people are

Since I know we have tons of transfolk here on SA maybe someone can succintly describe why it terrifies some people so much. It seems like such a non problem and it's weird how much discourse is spent on the subject in America

Conservatives need a boogeyman (boogeyfolk?) to be on the hook for everything that's wrong with society and a reason to keep people scared and tuning into the news.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

is that cybertruck still allegedly coming out? There are people who have paid some amount of money for one of those already, right?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

E the Shaggy posted:

After the shitshow that is Twitter, does anyone really want to trust Musk with a truck that's supposed to drive under water?

I regret to inform you that yes, there are people who will happily do exactly this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ideally this would also gently caress up Chappelle 's image but I doubt it lol

Is there anyone left? I think most of us who thought the dude was hilarious for saying "I'm rick james bitch" when we were kids figured out he's a rich old out of touch crank after his first netflix special.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Screaming "Free speech!" while banning prominent reporters from the platform for covering him.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty funny how he can't just shut the gently caress up and let Twitter exist for a while without it all explicitly being about him. I know that's the point of buying Twitter to begin with but jesus christ man shut the gently caress up and stop posting for like a day.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yes, Mr. Musk eeeverything is controlled by the MSM Journalists..

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This is some bitchmade poo poo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just openly chaining all the emergency exits shut while the building is actively burning nbd

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DaveWoo posted:

That's a good point - why hasn't Elon put this to a poll yet? After all, he's all about the voice of the people, right?

Too busy watching soccer in Saudi Arabia with Jared Kushner

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

IBroughttheFunk posted:

As someone who's tech literacy leaves a fair amount to be desired, why is this specifically bad?

Content creators like artists and programmers and onlyfans use linktree to link to all of their side gigs for people to pay them for their services. It's a hugely popular thing for people who make a living on the internet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol at the collective "Eh??" from shareholders manifesting as a bump in stock prices

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

So Elon is going to claim bots or some other poo poo when the poll ends, right?

Yes

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So did they already rescind the "no posting links to other social media sites" thing or did they just delete the tweet about it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the fact that nobody can be assed to read anything past the head line is pretty dystopian.

Hm yeah real dystopian how nobody reads past the first headline anymore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did they get some other rear end in a top hat to do these twitter files posts because the last one pissed Musk off?