Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Read the last few pages of thread and decided to stop cycling between so many decks. I'd been playing a given deck until it lost, then moved on to the next in the dozen or so netdecks I liked. I'd love to roll my own from scratch, but I haven't played a deckbuilder since early MTG and so I don't really have a feeling for how to do it anymore. Maybe I've played enough of the game to get a good feeling for the mechanics now? I can get to 50 in most seasons but haven't broken 60 yet.

I'd really like to roll my own, if I can remember how.

What I'd *like* is something that's fairly consistent rather than swingy, maybe a control deck of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

I've run into this a few times the last couple days.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Can I save up a thousand more gold by the time Deadpool Day ends? Let's find out.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Trying this as a side Cage deck. It's fun so far, not the dominant deck so telegraphs a bit less maybe, but I'm never really confident that it's going to win so never snap. Most of my victories are from opponent retreats, and I don't have a great win rate with it either way.

Feel like it'd be bangin' if I could work in some kind of win condition other than "hope I can throw down Hazmat often enough."

edit: Maybe swap out Hood and Viper for Sera and Wong, idk.

psychopomp fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 26, 2023

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

If cage gets disenchanted things go back to their reduced states right? It doesn't erase those negative hits?

Yeah so I drop him turn 6.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Got a pixel iron man from the bundle. It sucks.

The Sean posted:

Congrats on getting Shuri.

I've been playing with a Move Your Opponents Cards deck, a Destroy Your Opponent's Deck deck (yondu, falcon, cable, beast, wong, gambit), and over the past week a Galactus deck.

Is the "Move Your Opponents Cards" deck the one you posted ages and ages ago? Been meaning to try that out.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I just realized I have no idea what tanking is. Intentionally losing to lower your MMR, I guess?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

My gently caress you deck is fun.

Protect your Shuri/Skull/Taskmaster combo with two Armors? Would be a shame if someone hit you with Enchantress and then Shang Chi.

I've learned that I enjoy control and disrupt decks the best. Maybe the win rate is lower than some kinda aggressive combo deck, but it's more fun to play and I feel smarter when I react to something the opponent is trying to do.

I just need to come up with, you know, a deck that does this *well*.

And remember to snap when I figure out what they're doing and have the cards to counter it.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Walla posted:

2-3 tech cards minimum, learn what decks your opponents play and realize when you need priority and when you don't. Daredevil is probably the easiest to use because it gives you a big advantage on turn 5.

Control decks are my favorite too.

Current tech cards I'm running are scarlet witch, armor, shang chi, and enchantress. Tossing in Killmonger + nova as another tech + some points. Sentinels + Bishop + Mysterio for more points. Add to that Angela, Sera, Lizard for points and utility.

Maybe I'll swap out Angela and Lizard for Aero and Shuri? Or drop the Sentinals/Bishop/Mysterio for something else. Like the idea of Gambit but seems too random. Cosmo might work. Or some of the Goblins to eat up opponent slots. And if I can work Daredevil in, that'd be great.

So potentially:

Nova, Daredevil, Armor, Scarlet Witch, Green Goblin, Cosmo, Killmonger, Shuri, Shang Chi, Enchantress, Sera, Aero

I'm uncertain about Cosmo because I'd have difficulties targeting him other than on Wong/Lockjaw and I need slots for On Reveals myself. Maybe toss in a She-Hulk instead?

Any suggestions are welcome. I have all of S3 except for Maria Hill and Mojo. S4s are Attuma, BP, M'Baku, Shuri, and Surfer. S5 is Zabu.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Walla posted:

Obviously you can sub things in if you want, but it's important to understand why the card is in your deck in the first place. And these are literally basic as hell. I just made them for this post. Shuri could work in a Daredevil deck easily but she struggles in a Sera list which typically wants to play like a zoo deck with 2 drops.

Makes sense. I'm trying to leverage my only real advantage - that I've got an almost complete set of S3 cards now - but I've been languishing in the 50s and 60s despite some lucky pulls.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Ahhh gently caress, was one game short of hitting 50 when the fucker I was playing deliberately dragged everything out just so that I was a few seconds short of being able to start a new match when the season reset.

Ah well.

Not sure I'm feeling Nimrod. Might skip the pass this season.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Well, just picked up Mojo, my last S3 card in the token shop. Until some more drop down, I guess. Now I guess I start saving for whichever S5 hasn't been nerfed by the time I get there!

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

No Wave posted:

Why did you buy him in the token shop...

Because he was the only S3 I was missing.

Now he's not.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I can't get out of the mid-30s to save my life.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Walla posted:

Just read up on Angela and Sera. Angela is a badass. She traveled to Hel and defeated Hela so she could become the new Queen and resurrect Sera! And then lived together in an apartment in New York. :)

And was created by Neil Gaiman who had to win a court case against Todd McFarlane in order to assert his rights to the character, and bring her from Image to Marvel.

RevKrule posted:

Marvel Unlimited is an excellent subscription service btw. I wish there was a playlist feature but they do a great job of curating events to be able to read a lot of them in order and they have a lot of complete runs of a lot of stuff in it and it's a great way to get back into the Marvel universe.

I've been reading MU through the Complete Marvel Reading Order's essential comics list for like a year, starting with Fantastic Four #1, and I'm just now hitting the 90s and comics I read when I was a kid.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

the who in the what now

...oh. I did not know this existed.

It's been pretty convenient as most issues have a "Read it Online" link that goes right to the MU issue in question.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

OxMan posted:

Basic strats for anyone else that wants to try it:

Always drop maw on 3rd next to sunspot but pref sunspot+scarlet witch because you only use psylocke if you ARE holding jubilee and are NOT holding either Shulk or Infinaut OR wave/death which is the turn 3 you take if you're not holding at least 2 of Psy/Shulk/Infi.

What's Scarlet Witch doing here?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I've got MODOK, Shuri, M'Baku, Attuma, Panther, Zabu, and all the series 3. What's my best bet to save my tokens for in terms of general utility, given the upcoming nerfs and series drop?

Kang? Ghost? Darkhawk? Galactus? Should I just try and keep ahead of new S3 drops to keep the increased token drop as often as possible?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

Fun to imagine two Captain Marvels bouncing betweens lanes, forever stuck in an endless loop of losing and winning

That's just us, the players.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Was tilting pretty hard today, but there's a deck I can play without frustrating myself if I lose:

Win rate isn't super high, but it's engaging. Thinking of swapping out Lockjaw for Wong just to reduce the RNG element.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Youremother posted:

Decks like this piss me off beyond compare. Add in Wong and Mystique for the maximum rage factor.

Oh hey, Mystique, good idea. I was considering Debrii or black widow to clog some lanes with 0 point cards to later hit with Hazmat.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Almost got all the way to 60 playing Agatha in the last featured location run.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I just put 13 rocks in a man's deck

What deck are you running?

psychopomp fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 21, 2023

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Got Orka in the free card shop. He's the only S3 I don't have, and I don't particularly want him. Given the 4x token rate for those who aren't S3 complete, should I just ignore him?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
At 5k tokens, Kang pinned in the shop, let's goooooo

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Made it to the 70s for the first time playing a fairly standard MODOK deck. Last game the Academy gave me a Shanna, which gave me a Bast, which turned my Apocalypse into a 3 power dead weight.

Feel like I *might* make it to 80... but I didn't think I'd hit 70, either, so we'll see. Haven't been hitting any Shuris, and just the very occasional Galactus.

I've almost got enough saved up for Kang, and then I'm throwing that fucker into every deck.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Earned what I needed to pick up Kang. Makes the game really unstable. Opponent snapped on T6, I dropped Kang, snapped, reset... and it disconnected me. And continued to dump me out every time I tried to reconnect, costing me an extra 3 cubes as I could not retreat.

Please give me your best Kang tips.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Pulled Super Skrull. Not sure if I have any use for him. Getting the hang of Kang, useful for letting me know to retreat if I can't beat their T6 combo. Losing fewer cubes that way.

Kangers: Do you play Kang on T5 or T6, generally?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Season caches feel like a punishment for playing too much.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I honestly haven't seen too many galactuses. What's the telegraph?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Those of you who use deck trackers, what deck tracker do you use?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Been doing okay with the monkey, can get 10+ on a good run, but I haven't encountered anyone using it half as well so far.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Hobo Clown posted:

What's a good Hit Monkey deck? I've used him a couple times and he seems just okay, but if folks are already calling for a nerf I must be missing out on something.

Just chuck it in a sera control deck

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Having the worst season. Can't get out of the 40s to save my life. Losing most games unless I play Hitmonkey Control and those matches take too long to be fun. Starting to think I suck at this game and should stop playing.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Picking up the game again for the first time since April. Any huge changes I need to know about?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

playing matches is still great.

everything else is much much worse if you're P3 complete.

Good thing I'm no longer complete on account of missing a bunch.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
My favorite decks were control, but I was also fond of Hit Monkey Bounce, Cerebro 2, Tox + gobbos, Modoc.

Skippy McPants posted:

This is 100% not true. If you played before Spotlights came in then they are way, way better than the old Token-only system for acquiring cards.

Doubly so if you’re not S3 complete since you can actually collect and play with some of the new stuff rather than just staring at it in the shop all day while you sit on 400 Collectors Tokens.

What's Spotlights?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Seeing as how I'm jumping in at the end of the season, is it worth slapping down $10 for Shaw?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Managed to get one of those keys. I don't have any of the current spotlight cards; should I roll the dice and use it or save it until I have four of them to ensure I get something?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Are you at a lower collection level? If so I'd say don't use it today or tomorrow. Generally you want to wait until you have 4 keys and a week that has multiple cards you need.

That being said starting Tuesday, the new set has two very good cards and one potentially really good card. It might be worth it to spend that key trying to get High Evo, it's a deck defining card.

I was S3 complete and had a few nice S4 and S5s when I stopped playing, just as High Evo was coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Got Lady Deathstrike and High Evo with my keys. A few cards dropping down to 3 today or am I thinking of something else?