Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Having much fun with the game, and have started to see cheating bots as opponents. That doesn't seem like what happened here though, wherein my opponent straight up played Moongirl into Luke's Bar and it stayed there. I thought it was a display error, but the next turn he dropped White Queen there. And they just stayed there, so he wins the game.

Known bug?

Maneck fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Figured it out. It's an exploit. Both of those cards create cards on play, with a full hand they can't go back in.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Vulpes posted:

It's not an exploit, it's a mechanic. You can't return a card to your hand when your hand is full. What did you expect to happen?

The location behaviour could match description if there was a check whether the card was played into Luke's, and if yes then leave a spot for the return. Don't all exploits follow the mechanics?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Game needs a Doom emote.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I get the bad feels about the way cards are doled out in pool 3. There's lots of stuff that isn't playable, at least without other pool 3 cards, and it flat out doesn't seem fair. Saying this from the perspective of having gotten stupid lucky. I was at omega when I left pool 2 (thanks to Buffalo's dino deck) and went 5 caches deep into pool three and then opened the caches. Doom was my second pool 3 card (also ended up with Viper and Agatha).

So I didn't spend another credit. I don't think I'm good at the game, but the way matchmaking works it was steady progress right up to Infinite. Overwhelmingly I was playing against people who were either still in pool 2, or were playing pool 2 cards because there pool 3 pulls hadn't worked out. Also, lots of bots.

I hit infinite, ran an Agatha deck which was fun, then spend my accumulated credit, raising my CL to 730. Now I'm struggling to string together two wins playing against people with titles and actual good pool 3 cards. I pulled Zola, who is amazing fun. But not doing a lot of winning yet.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Taskmaster and Deadpool seem designed to be dropped together on turn 6.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Intended interaction or bug? Played Viper onto Electro, but the ongoing effect (can only play one card) stayed with me and not the opponent.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Found that out in a game that also featured TVA. I was playing a low curve deck and had a good hand for it, and bingod one of my opponent's plays with rocket and it was still futile.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

goferchan posted:

Just opened Electro which is cool because I've been hoping to mess around with him, but he's kind of in an awkward spot on the curve for ramp. Donating him to your opponent with Viper is pretty cute, but it means you're spending turn 4 just playing a 2-drop.

Have they fixed that? I gave it a try last week thinking I was clever, but the ongoing effect stayed with me rather than being shifted to my opponent.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

I played at 590-598 for a full week, probably 150+ games. The difference in decks I saw before and after I ticked over 600 was stark. I don’t know why i would want it to be like that, it certainly wasn’t more fun that way. I’m just telling folks what I saw and it sounds like other people saw the same thing?

Ed: I will also add that I saw WAY more bots at 590ish playing in the 80s and 90s than I did after I hit 600

That was my experience too. I spent a bunch of credits as I entered into Pool 3, but stopped well before 600 on the advice of the thread. I got lucky with my pulls and had a mostly painless ride up to Infinite on Doom's back. Part of that is that bots don't really seem to get Doom. Reached infinite and played a few games, then spent my credits. On crossing that 600 barrier, out came mostly matches against people with titles and fully optimal discard decks.

It's not that they turn off all matchmaking balancing at 600. There is definitely something remaining behind the scenes that matches up "good" decks against other good decks. With the recent new location, I got sick of getting crushed by Death and switched to a not-remotely-meta deck. Suddenly Death disappeared from my opponents decks.

No Wave posted:

I abused the CL594 rule to get to infinite vs 60% bots so I'm not really in any state of doubt. But imagine I'm wrong and I'm really just a god gamer?

Also me too. Now that I have to play against real decks and the season switched over, I'm struggling to maintain rank 70.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 8, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

She Hulk in my shop but not sure she's worth all 3k of my tokens when my deck is so crap. Maybe better to save them for 3 wave 3 cards for the options?

I used all my tokens on She Hulk and am very pleased. She's very flexible. Works when played early, allowing late utility drops. Works played late combing with other cards in unexpected ways. She like's lots of different cards, but I would say Sunspot is the only other card you have to have in a deck with her.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Vulpes posted:

I've played conservatively 200 games this season. I started on rank 70, and now I'm on rank ... 70.

I think I'm right in the matchmaking spot (~1,100 CL right now) where I'm being matched with beta players with far more complete decks, but I am missing a lot of key cards. So it's a real struggle to get anywhere.

Still fun though!

Me too. Sitting just below CL 1000 and I was getting matched up with people beating me with cards I don't have over and over and ready to quit. Switched to a move deck though and I've had far more success and fun. I've only seen one deck today made up of mostly cards I don't have. Much fun was had:

Shwqa posted:

I would argue that miles isn't even good.

I had forgotten this and swapped Miles in for Killmonger. The results were terrible. Took Miles out, put Cosmo in. Success.

Miles might work better in a non-move deck, with just Ironfist or something to activate the reduced cost when the lanes don't otherwise oblige.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Shwqa posted:

Man I got the pixel variant of forge today. My God he is ugly.

For me, pixel Forge is in the "wraps all the way back around to good" category.

No Wave posted:

is it really? i think its funnier when the 6000 token card gets poo poo on.

EDIT: MY DEBRII GOT UNPINNED and theres a knull in my shop!!!!

I have Debrii and want to like it, but either I'm doing it wrong or I'm missing the other cards needed to make her work. Wong/Death/Luke Cage + Hazmat seem like the popular choices, and I don't have those. Do you have a plan for her?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Got Nick Fury from a collectors cash. This card doesn't seem to be great in the sense of winning games regularly. It does create hilarity though.

Played a game with superflow left, so I dropped fury on turn 4. Fury gave me both Galactus and Knull, and of course the left lane is empty. I drop Galactus turn 5 in that lane. My opponent drops nothing. I'm expecting Infinaut turn 6. Well, he drops Infinaut and two she hulks - which makes sense, he passed on a 6 energy round. Fortunately, Knull had 38 (thirty-eight), plus 3 from Galacus, so I win 41-40 to get 8 cubes because I think that's literally the only thing in the game that could have won against what he played as I had priority.

Knull and Galactus are each extremely stupid. And I am stupid because somehow I forgot to screenshot that.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The bots play with your cards face up. Permanent Daredevil, basically. They also know the results of all RNG events before they happen, and play accordingly.

They have different decks, and sometimes it doesn't play to those abilities. Guardians sure does though, ouch.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

RevKrule posted:

WOWWWWWWWW. I know the bots cheat sometimes but holy poo poo.

Just had a match where they played a Guardians deck and LITERALLY NEVER MISSED. They skipped everytime I skipped and played maximum amount of guardians on any lane I played on. Like I understand getting lucky and I understand kettling your opponent into playing only certain lanes but this was wayyyyyyy too on the nose to call it anything but direct bot cheating. Their entire play was just the Guardians cards and Spiderwoman at the end.

Just got this one too. It was stupid.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Studio posted:

I mean Discard isn't even that popular, and the real strategy is to play it turn 6 so your opponent doesn't benefit from the draw. Maximus also has the advantage that Silver Surfer is popular, and he fits that archetype.

I got so sick of seeing them I started running Maximus specifically as a counter to Dracula.

That said, the actual optimal built for it seems to involve all of Ghost Rider, Hela, Dracula, Lockjaw and Hellcow. Which is to say, people who played in Beta get to run it, the bastards.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The Steam app is awful for that. The escape key is used to trigger the menu to get out of the game. The escape key also unpins the collectors token item while the shop is being viewed.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mattavist posted:

I’m ~1000CL and no matter what I do this is the best deck! It’s not even really a Pool 3 deck but stomps all over them all day long, what is going on here.

# (1) Ant Man
# (2) Mojo
# (2) Armor
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Mister Fantastic
# (3) Captain America
# (3) Cosmo
# (4) Warpath
# (5) Iron Man
# (5) Professor X
# (5) Klaw
# (6) Spectrum
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW50TWFuIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJBcm1vciJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTGl6YXJkIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJNb2pvIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJDYXB0YWluQW1lcmljYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ29zbW8ifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ik1yRmFudGFzdGljIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJXYXJwYXRoIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJLbGF3In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJQcm9mZXNzb3JYIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTcGVjdHJ1bSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiSXJvbk1hbiJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

Tried this and got crushed repeatedly until I gave up and moved back to a move deck.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Swapped out Sinister for Invisible Woman in my Patriot deck and it's been working pretty well. Hides Patriot/Mystique until the end to protect them from Rouge/Enchantress, and protects everything else from Shang Chi

Enchantress onto Invisible Woman (removing her ongoing) does not carry over onto the now revealed cards? Good mechanic to know.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Made it to 100 playing sub-600 with destroy decks which works well with Vormir. I've gotten good about recognising the bots and just snapping early no matter what with them, which seems the one true way to climb quickly. Guess I can break the 600 CL barrier now.

Nicely done. Camping sub-600 to get infinite is the way to go for that first/second month. Considerably more reliable then any of the decks pushed by Youtubers.

Tekopo posted:

How's this for a discard deck? I thought I had ghost rider but turns out I didn't, unfortunately. Disrupt package of iceman/scorpion/shang, then pretty much all discards apart from America.

Shang Chi works very nicely on turn 6 to cause a big swing at the end of the game. Probably for that reason I don't see him very often in discard decks who are usually doing something else that turn.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 21, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The disappointment of pulling two new cards while dropping 5000 points, and one of them being Quake, just got very real for me.

Got Red Skull as well. I guess he goes into a zero/task-master list well enough? Red Skull, Titania, Ebony Maw, Lizard and Zero sort of work. Really would be boosted by Atuma though.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Sentry in my shop, I didn't even know he'd been added. Doesn't seem very good though, am I missing something?

I guess if you fill the right lane first and then play him, but even then I feel like there are better options than a 4/8 at that point

Pulled him randomly with A13. He goes very nicely with Viper.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zodack posted:

I'm not sure how I like the matchmaking system. I just broke CL1000 and am at 74 and regularly play against current and past season rank 100s with frequent pool 5 cards and tons of split 4+ variants. Is it just open season past 1000? I figured it would still band a range around my CL

This can happen at any point past CL600. Playing outside of peak hours seems worse, presumably because that's when those actively seeking to rank up are playing. Deck construction is also a factor. If you're playing cards considered strong, you get opponents with strong cards as well.

Ultimately, the game prioritizes getting you an opponent fast over fair.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pengwin posted:

Eventually, EVENTUALLY the Pool 3 pulls make you feel lucky. I finally got the Death I was waiting for in the shop, my heart practically skipped a beat when I saw it. Then an hour later I opened a Collector's Reserve with Sera. :hellyeah:

The tough part of Pool 3 is not just the rate of pulls (which drops off after a while), so much as the combination of its size and the need for certain cards to go together. The store system will really help with this, in that if you pull one key part of a special kind of deck, it is far less painful to get the other pieces.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, I caught that in my edit.

So... They're going to patch that out, right? Cause they changed the big On Reveal stacks with someone like Iron Heart and Wong+Mystique+Kamar+Taj+Odin to additive, so still a lot (like 16 potential stacks of Iron Heart) but not absurd like this.

Or was that change just because it took too much time to watch, like, 64 repeat animations?

This is the patched version. It used to work exponentially.

canyonero posted:

This thread and the subreddit are a lot more negative about the state of the game than how I feel. I see Leader now and then, but not very often. I don't mind the progression mechanic, even though I'm missing a lot of the series 3 cards and spent almost all of my tokens on Super-Skrull right when the store launched (big yikes). I go on bad runs and get annoyed, but I think it's helpful to relate this game to Texas Hold 'Em tournaments. There have been lots of poker nights where I spend hours folding to bad cards and getting pissed when the 2-7 off suit I folded would have been a full house, but whatever.

Anyway, I love Hazmat, Luke Cage, and Wong (Hazmat got yeeted by Aero and killed by Fisk Tower, but not until she did her thing 8 or 16 times? I'm bad at math.

I've wanted to run this since I first A13'd up a Hazmat. Unfortunately, I'm missing every key component.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I was pretty happy when that happed to a Green Goblin played against me. It does seem like a bug though.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I've had more success using Ebony Maw with Viper to surprise lock a lane for an opponent than actually using it for its power.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Cosmo is a good boy. Unlike Leech and Leader, he requires consideration beyond just slam and jam. Gotta have a good sense of where your opponent wants to play their big On Reveal cards, and you gotta make sure you don't accidentally lose the game by shutting down your own.

Agreed, even though I've had an awful run of people dropping Cosmo on turn 3 into empty lanes to bust up my plays. Non-bots. Part of an awful 4 rank drop. The predominant theme in my 4 rank drop is me ignoring what is increasingly well established: matchmaking for people still working through pool 3 is toxic garbage outside of peak hours. Over a period of an hour I managed to win three games. By an amazing coincidence (?), two of those wins came in the two games where a location popped to swap hands/decks.

The last loss was just gutting. Had a great board set up and my best finishing combo of cards in hand (Red Skull and Task Master), so I snapped. Opponent drops psylock (don't have it) turn 4 into a lane I had stormed. Okay, there's a few things that could happen here. But I can drop up to 35 power anywhere over the next four turns, and I have Doom and the right lane is Kamar-Taj. He drops Galactus (dont' have it) into the lane where I had just played Red Skull, then Death (don't have it), Magneto (don't have it). I lose. There was nothing I could have possibly done to win this guy, except play Agent 13 and have drawn Knull.

The kicker being that's not even the most oppressive play possible. There are people who own Knull too.

Galactus should have stayed a random draw only. Where it was hilarious, rather than crushing.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 30, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Some things you can do:

Have Shang Chi to kill their big cards. Cosmo, or a movement card, or something that donates a card to gently caress up Galactus’ reveal. (Or happen to play on Central Park which stops their deck cold.) Recognize that their deck has gone off and retreat.

Galactus is an ambush deck. It wins by you not recognizing what is happening until it is too late. Many of the top decks win like this. It is how you get 8 cube wins instead of 1 cube wins. Some of learning the game is learning what your opponents are trying to do and playing around or retreating correctly if you can’t.

If someone plays Psylocke on a Storm lane, it’s worth asking yourself “Why would they do this apparently terrible play?” In general, improving at this game seems to mean less thinking about what I will do and more thinking about what they might be planning.

This is unsound advice. Galactus is power 3. As a result of blowing up the other lanes, 95% of the time the receiving player has priority. Without Invisible Woman, Shang Chi isn't going to do anything to the Knull+Death drop. They don't reveal until after Shang Chi.

In terms of putting things on his side of the board, I actually run Viper. Didn't pull her that game. The other option is Debrii, but I wouldn't recommend that outside of a deck specifically built to take advantage of it.

No Wave is right. The error was not just eating the 4 cube loss, notwithstanding that I could put 30 power into that lane.

Galactus shouldn't have been made an acquirable card. It makes other cards of questionable balance (Knull/Death) worse.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

uXs posted:

I have Galactus, but I don't have:

-Red Skull
-Taskmaster
-Death
-Knull

Sometimes you just lose to people with poo poo you don't have.

Galactus can completely lock you out, but it's one of the more telegraphed decks and there are plenty of things you can do to gently caress them up. And if you can't, just retreat.

Sure Galactus without the other cards isn't a problem. But those other cards are in the game. Consequently, when he pops, unless you have Knull and Death in hand, plus 4 in the lane, or Leader, well, you have to retreat.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 30, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
This morning I managed to edge over to 91 for my 500 gold.

Last season I hit infinite only by ranking up while staying below CL 600. I didn't think I would be able to get there this round as the post CL600 scene is brutal. For a long time it wasn't close and I was having trouble maintaining the 70 starting point. I eventually did have some success by switching back to an old list posted by follow goon Ctr+Alt+Delete:

# (1) Agent 13
# (1) Nova
# (2) Angela
# (2) Bucky Barnes
# (2) Carnage
# (2) Sentinel
# (3) Killmonger
# (3) Deathlok
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) Jessica Jones
# (6) America Chavez
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQWdlbnQxMyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTm92YSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW5nZWxhIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJCdWNreUJhcm5lcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQ2FybmFnZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2VudGluZWwifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IktpbGxtb25nZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkRlYXRobG9rIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFuZ0NoaSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRW5jaGFudHJlc3MifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6Ikplc3NpY2FKb25lcyJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQW1lcmljYUNoYXZleiJ9XX0=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

This deck looks like nothing, but I cannot commend it enough. All Pool 1 and 2 cards, and once you figure out how it ticks (and how other's decks tick) this competes with Pool 3 decks. The only thing I could never beat was discard decks.

I jumped from the 80s to 90 after spending 5000 banked credits, the rewards from which pushed me over 6000 gold, while the Sunspot sale was active. After experiencing a month long drought of good cards, I pulled Death and Venom at the same time. Already having the other pieces of a Deathwave Deck (She-hulk and wave being my first two token shop buys, and Zola was my last good pull last season) I gained seven something levels in a few hours. I assume they're nerfing this? I get why people point to this thing when defending Leader.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Zabu and Wave interact. Didn't expect that given the card's language.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah this part is consistent and fine. The Wave part is annoying as hell. Wave already interacted with cards like She Hulk and Death in a busted manner, and it's going to get worse as they keep adding cards that change energy cost. It may be working as intended but it's way too powerful to be enabled by a 3 cost card with deck sizes this small.

I should have been more clear. The Wave/Zabu interaction is that 4 cost cards (i.e. card cost) are reduced by 2, so you can still play 3 of them turn six even if a wave was dropped turn 5. I think. Haven't bought Zabu yet, but I dropped wave and then had two 4s dropped on me turn 6.

If I've got that right, it works as a nerf of the obvious Wave effect (limits cards played) without touching the kind of broken interaction with cards that can have their costs reduced.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

I just got Aero using tokens! And they could have gone further with the nerf.

Also, to even out a rediculous run of card pulls (which balanced out a prolonged terrible run), in exchange for pulling or buying: MR. Negative, Aero, Death, Venom, Patriot (Winter) and Brood in the past week, I just received M'Baku. I almost pinned him in my shop on the totally baseless theory that you can't pulled pinned cards. Am I correct that he still actively loses games, even if his effect goes off, because he jumps into things like Bar With No Name?

Incidentally, Bar With No Name is/was a great real bar in Toronto.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The matchmaking algorithm is crooked. I was sick of seeing Zabu so I make three separate decks with Sandman/Electro+Viper. Not a Zabu deck in sight for any of them, and because Sandman is otherwise bad lots of losses. Switch back to a normal deck, Zabu every game. Ugh.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Did this and was robbed of a minute something of Zola multiplying and Venoms eating because the game now includes a "fast forwards" feature. It skips through all that. I bet they fixed dropped Odin on Bar Sinister too.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Galactus is just a dumb loving card, he was fine as a lol random option but now that people can buy him he's just stupid. "The rest of the match to this point is irrelevant and one player knew to set up for this and has answers in hand" just feels bad to run into, and "the opponent has one empty site on Turn 3 or 4" is not a unique enough situation that you can reasonably see it coming.

Indeed. He was hilarious and fun when the only way to get him was random distribution. Playing against someone setup to run him feels awful.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Sandwolf posted:

I just went from never having seen Galactus to getting hosed by him 4 games in a row, did I miss something?

The grouping for matchmaking is wild. Post CL 600, some combination of deck construction and other factors (current competitive rank? how much the devs hate you at a personal level?) means you can be in for repeated beatings by the same handful of decks. Changing your deck can sometimes work, but most reliable way is to walk away for a while.

The matchmaking also makes 3rd party stats unreliable. With Second Diner's finger planted firmly on the scales of opponent distribution, it is not possible for those on the outside to gather accurate data about deck strength.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 11, 2023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
They still haven't fixed the priority indicator not switching in a timely fashion. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

I felt like there are a lot of cards that want to be moved but comparatively few cards that move things.

You're right, but I saw someone running beast in a move deck today which got mileage out of what there is. They hit their combo and man, it was pretty good. Iron fist middle, human torch played right, bounces to middle. Hulk buster gets dropped middle. Beast scoops it all up. T6 drops Iron Fist, with vulture right getting bumped to mid, Dr. Strange left pulling a now beefed up Vulture left. And then the rest of the free cards wherever it hurt most. Also means he didn't have priority.