Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Saw this and thought of you guys. Hope you don't get cobalt nuked by putin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgoEuy46efs&t=2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jiggerypokery posted:

Lol is there a football happening at the moment? I actually had no idea

How I felt when I heard Finland won the hockey championships a few days ago.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just remember to keep calm and don't vote labour.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't know you could boil potato wedges before putting them in the oven. Man what an improvement, apparently this is a british thing, how chips are made?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, potatoes are best cooked in stages, with a chance to cool a bit between each one. You simmer them until they start to soften, fluff up the edges with a fork or very gentle tossing, then cook them properly. For the absolute best wedges you deep fry them at 130C after the first stage to get a light crispy coating, then deep fry at 170C after they've cooled down to finish them off. Otherwise just oil them up and oven cook them.

I do have a fryer but I made these in the oven. The last ones I tried to make didn't turn out as good as my first run though, I overcrowded the pan because you don't get a lot of them by my standards, it was this guy who I got it from, he's anti-fryer at home, but frankly we love ours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6kcANnAJSo

That later led me to this, which lead me to ordering beef tallow last night as well from the butcher. I can only get raw stuff here so I gotta render it myself. But I'm gonna do some food experimenting, adding beef tallow to frying oil and some other stuff, to try and replicate old style mcdonalds fries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo7vZm9a2To

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Latest labour ad just popped up on Facebook. (On phone so can't share).
3 bullet points.

Can't help noticing the S word repeated 3 times.
Police state vibes.

I like the idea of supply chain security at least, to me it sounds like government intervention in the economy. Which I like as a rule.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TwoShanks posted:

"Skipping the dentist" makes it sound like a choice. I have a broken tooth but, and I quote, "tooth pain, no matter how bad, is not classed as an emergency". Every dentist within 15 miles of me is either not accepting new NHS patients or is willing to put me on a waiting list of "about two years". Literally every one of them happily offered to see me as a private patient though.

Sounds like that should be made illegal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

endlessmonotony posted:

You first.

No seriously the state of dental health care in Finland is abysmal.

What's your point? I know it's lovely here too, and would welcome some reform that's not privatize more.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

bessantj posted:

I work with a guy who's vegetarian, loves gardening and hardcore into animal rights, but he still thinks the Rwanda plan is great and voted for brexit. The Daily Mail can breath easy.

Is he a failed artist with a grudge too?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just read something "funny" on another UK forum I visit. They fired a guy who did good work (something shop related I think, welding perhaps) because he failed a drug test twice, he was good enough that ordinarily 1st offence was a firing but they gave him two weeks. It all sounds so dumb, the guy was putting out good work and now they're looking for a replacement and complaining about it, because of their own dumb drug testing policies. It's a problem that simply need not exist.

So anyway if someone in southern Essex wants a job that is described like this, note you can't do weed no more then check out the UK mig welding forums I guess:

quote:

The company starts new employees on £15 an hour Paye, with pension, No qualifications needed, All training provided, once you have trained up & got good wages rise up to £25 an hour, All transport to London & back provided all you got to do is turn up at the factory on time. You will need a CCS card.
Anyone live in Southern Essex interested I can pass your number on if you send me a pm.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grey Hunter posted:

Does this mean he's single?
You can almost hear a thousand gold diggers sitting bolt upright.

Bet that's the only thing bolt upright about this guy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

One of the fun facts about asda is that their stock control system still runs on a greentext terminal, and over the years has simply had extra GUIs bolted onto the front of it. Except for the things that haven't and you still have to load up the old ascii based display to do some queries. Literally older than me.

Nice!

I''m trying to find this video I saw once where a guy compared an old as hell 90s system that stores still used and used keyboard only input and compared it to a modern GUI version to show just how much modern ux designs suck from actual user friendlyness.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 24, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

peanut- posted:

It’s an extension of the same WTO-illegal tariffs the EU and US already apply. Brexit is dumb and all but that doesn’t mean you have to advocate for Britain bankrupting it’s strategic heavy industry out of psychotic purist commitment to free trade.

Yeah, it's just harder for small nations to get away with it, unlike the EU and US, which is lol brexit. But still, don't really disagree with Boris on this one, free trade is not an automatic good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Surely that's more a sign that the WTO is just imperialism with extra steps than that banding together in big whites-only clubs to ignore selective parts of it that other people can't is a justified thing.

Maybe the best course of action for the world in general would be for Britain to go down swinging about what a clown car the whole thing is.

I salute you who are about to die.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

A large ulster sounds like something on a medieval peasants butt that needs to be lanced.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

In a rather anti 40k note I had a pleasant walk for my breakfast today.

I continue to find the general shape of north yorkshire settlements to be basically ideal, no room for improvement IMO.

Even more trees

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finally got to try vegemite today and I gotta say I think I prefer it over marmite, taste wise it's similar, but different, but oh man the consistency makes it so much nicer to spread out. No more stringy goo!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gort posted:

I mean, obviously Ted Cruz is full of poo poo, but the situation in Germany is a long way from a good one. They're firing up the coal plants to fill the hole being left by Russian gas.

And gas filled the hole left by nuclear. Cant have renewables without fossil fuel backups and cheap large scale energy storage is about out there with fusion becoming commercially viable. We're having expensive as all gently caress power now and that's mainly because we shut down a lot of nuclear capacity in europe and replaced with with Wind. Which sure, generates real cheap energy when it's blowing, but when it's not we need fossil fuels and they OTOH are expensive. This volatility creates on average much higher electricity prices, as we have now historically observed.

This recipe for disaster lead do the very harsh winter of 2021 when the wind hardly blew and temperatures dropped, it was particularly noticeable in Sweden which has shut down a lot of nuclear capacity and relied on wind. People actually bought fuel oil and shut off their heat pumps because it was cheaper. They had to fire up an oil burning power plant too when it got real cold and the government had to hand out money to people. Sweden was a society that was highly electrified running on a combo of nuclear and hydro, extremely good situation for them to be in which was possible thanks to their cheap and abdundant electricity. Now that's unraveling. People are buying wood heaters, pellets and also fuel oil.

Now the french have half their fleet down due to deferred maintenance of their aging fleet and it supported both france and a lot of the continent with power and winter is coming and we're still nowhere near a working system that can supply the energy needed when it's cold and no wind.

Saying renewables are cheap is an insane oversimplifcation which in capitalist terms, ignores all the externalities I just mentioned, which wind power companies don't have to pay for at all.

And the state news agency YLE, here in Finland are literally varning of the possibility of rolling blackouts this winter and providing energy saving tips for people. Energy experts have said we have basically one hail mary and that's Olkiluoto 3 coming online this december.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If we're serious about conserving resources, nuclear requires the least steel and concrete per kWh.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jedit posted:

No, they're just neoliberal Luddite morons. They do have legitimate concerns about the handling of nuclear waste, but those are averted by putting strong controls on the bodies in charge of generation - which would usually be the government anyway.

They don't even have that. Nuclear waste is blown massively out of proportion to it's dangers.

https://twitter.com/MadiHilly/status/1550148385931513856

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

One cool technology is nuclear fusion! But let me stop you there, I didn't mean in that way you probably think.

The cool part here is that a part of nuclear fusion research has generated an unforseen use. Namey it's an extremely efficient and cheap way of drilling super deep holes, such as might be used for deep geothermal.

https://newatlas.com/energy/quaise-deep-geothermal-millimeter-wave-drill/

Now if that pans out, it can have huge effects, geothermal has none of the intermittancy issues and is basically a CO2 free source of energy, old coal plants and the like can easily be converted.

This is why researching stuff like Fusion and what not is never a waste even if Fusion turned out ot be impossible. All the unforseen spinoff technologies will have use, might even be critically important.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

That is true, in fact we're very keen on nuclear waste in the UK and actually take it on from other places to get rid of at some point/re-use.

What this thread doesn't mention is that you usually need hugely expensive kit to recycle it that also takes a long time to build. Then you have to have reactors that take that type of recycled fuel.

It doesn't mean it's a bad idea but it isn't going to be a quick idea.

You can use reprocessed fuel in light water reactors too, that's what France does for instance. It's a more cumbersome and expensive process than the ideal of a fast breeder, but doable. The nuclear fuel rods after their first run through a reactor are still basically 98% usable fuel if one reprocessed them. Burying the waste is criminal.

Russia has been running several fast breeders for years and are sadly the world experts on that after France gave up on superphenix when it just started working reliably.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Zalakwe posted:

I thought France did Mox but you sound like you might know better than me!

AFAIK, they make mox fuel with reprocessed fuel:
https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/frances-efficiency-in-the-nuclear-fuel-cycle-what-can-oui-learn

quote:

Used fuel assemblies from various nuclear power plants are transported to La Hague, where they are kept in a storage pool. Components from the spent fuel are then separated and recyclable materials are recovered. At the Melox facility, plutonium is remixed with depleted uranium to produce MOX fuel.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Endjinneer posted:

I can't lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies.

It's actually producing power right now though, 473 megawatts at the moment. Part of the testing phase which started on monday. It's gonna keep ramping up to 1600MW through to october, hope everything pans out, I really do...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

blunt posted:

We should start by immediately sinking decommissioning the 341 cruise ships that exist worldwide. It's way more achievable short term than moving everybody to EVs, only exists as a luxury form of travel that less than 0.5% of people on earth interact with on a yearly basis (either through employment or recreation) and would have a massive immediate effect on emissions

I don't personally like the idea of moving to an EV because uh, I hate modern cars. I hate cars that are too complex and advanced for me to maintain myself. And they are just getting worse and worse and more difficult to work on. I welded on my Mazda 2005 a few weeks ago and replaced the whole bottom sill plate and part of the arches. Hell if I could do that on a modern car, the sheet metal is some fancy unweldable alloy and even structural now. And if things do go wrong with a modern car it's a lot of "toss away this entire board of components" stuff. Which strikes me as very wasteful and expensive to boot.

I really like driving a bit of a shitbox car since I only need the most basic rear end traffic insurance to keep costs down and if it gets some damage no big, I can fix that or live with it. I just don't wanna deal with cars more modern than 2010 ish... Unless right to repair becomes a huge thing in the car industry and they make a car that's easy to work on at home. And with as little digital technology as possible.

So my personal idea is to convert my car to biogas. Where I live the local (publically owned) waste disposal company takes all the biological waste and compost it to bioreactors to produce biogas. The local citys public transport has been converted to run on biogas since a few years and there is a network of fueling stations around the city nowadays. The fuel equivalent cost of biogas is 1€ / liter to boot. It can still run on conventional fuel too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Turns out Germany is loving with their emissions numbers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0sq5GN7xc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also read that there's so much PFAS globally now, that rainwater, globally, is not recommended for drinking any more.

A well known pfas is teflon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Microplastics posted:

Indeed. You shouldn't get one - the best hint you can do is drive less.

The only real way to drive less for most people is to work fewer days.

The solution to climate change is not individual action anyway. Like the whole carbon footprint thing is basically a scam by oil companies, BP to be exact. It was incredibly successful in reframing combating climate change to somehting between the consumer and the climate. Under this world view they implanted in us inception style, your choices in stopping climate change are limited to your choices as a consumer. Moving the goalposts away from the fossil fuel companies and other huge corporations who are responsible for the majority of emissions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

I realise you live in the arse end of nowhere in a Finnish forest but most people don't. Public transport is a realistic alternative to driving for most people who don't rely in work from home.

I'm interested in solutions that work regardless of your location though and reducing the hours worked for people would have positive knock on effects on the climate in that it would depress economic activity, consumption and growth.

We should work less, travel less (except bike or foot), spend & buy less. Spend more of our time just relaxing, walking, hobbies, whatever. Only reason we still have to work 8 hours 5 days a week is because all the wealth & productivity gains goes to the top 1% and we're basically treated since childhood to become consumer drones and associate consumption with positive things.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

The NHS in England is increasingly reliant on doctors and nurses recruited from outside the UK and EU, many of whom are foreign, analysis has found.

Ah so it's the foreigns fault.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jippa posted:

If this is now going to be every summer I would just invest in an AC unit. Probably £450/500 for a good one you could move round the house (bedroom at night). I haven't yet but the more sleep I lose the more I think it would be worth it in the long run.

Get an actual heat pump so you can also get additional heat in winter. Of course with todays electricity prices...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Roof fan that takes air up into the roof and blows it out of the eaves if you have a house where that works, chimney fan that blows air up the chimney if you're in a house with a chimney breast and no fire.

Creates negative pressure inside, sucks outside air in through holes too small for burglars.

Also yeah always close sun facing curtains. Throughout the day if possible.

Awnings over windows is an electricity free method as well, if your place looks good with them anyway. I've read about this white color which has a net cooling effect, I wonder if awnings with that would be noticeably more effective than regular cloth ones.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

No food, no water, at this rate we're going to need a charity concert for the poor anglos.

Do they even know it's christmaaas!?!?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

Good to know that at least some Jewish values are also British values.

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1558057479094910976

The absolute unit, I'm in awe of the size of this family.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mebh posted:

I really want a goddamn hot water solution that is electric and doesn't cost me 5 grand plus so i can disconnect my gas. Are electric boilers still horrendous for cost to run?

Wood, but I guess firewood's hella expensive in the UK too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I am reminded of this old lovely movie called america 3000, it's stuck in my mind the scene where the future people chanted "red cross, red cross, red cross" when trying to heal someone with a thousand year old first aid kit.

Except this time it's english people chanting in their burnt out villages "Free market, free market, free market!"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Convex posted:

Every time i take a mental health break from this thread i come back and its even worse than i expected :smith:

I wonder how much the wank function will cost on those new brainchips.

It'll be a subscription model, monthly payments or it shuts off and probably goes bad inside your brain.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Don't eat moldy bread, don't breathe near moldy bread, throw it straight in the bin.

poo poo my kid ate a few bites of moldy bread a week ago, didn't look closely enough and said it tasted funny, looked on the other side and it was moldy AF :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^^
Yeah can't see what this guy did differentely.

Jippa posted:

loving hell. This guy must have been doing a good job. :stare: He worked for over 10 years. He must have been amazing in interviews.

Fake it till you make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Dehumidifiers are great during winter because they release more heat than they use from all the latent heat of condensation.

Dehumidifiers are poo poo during summer because of the same reason.

I've been using secretive 'big fan' technology to move all the air up the chimney to dry clothes during the heatwave (or even more secretive 'outdoors' technology for big sheets and towels) but it will be back to the dehumidifier for winter.

I'm curious whether those personal heater/coolers that promise some degree of changing body temperature more directly work.

goddamnedtwisto recommended silk biker underglove gloves and I can confirm that they're fine to type in but may make you feel like some kind of regency pervert.

I built an advanced solar powered clothes dryer last week

Too bad about all the rain tho.