Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

i was really weirded out when the person i stayed at 'reviewed' me. like wtf? i never bother reviewing anything and hate the 2-3 emails i always get from anywhere begging for me to leave a review so the idea of what's essentially a hotel leaving me a review is weird.

How many stars did you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Honestly pretty funny how they were just waiting until the Jubilee was out of the way before the knife blows started raining down.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone been following the revelations about Paul Mason that have just been published by the Grayzone? If even half of it's true, the man's a total lunatic lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TACD posted:

drat, looks like Starmer is just too much of a radical hard-leftist to get any traction with voters. We need somebody more sensibly centrist!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10898627/PETER-HITCHENS-Revolutionary-past-gives-lie-notion-Keir-Starmer-moderate.html

The Daily Mail posted:

The British public have been given little reason to doubt the official story that Sir Keir is a respectable 'moderate' who will do nothing radical. The Tory Party think they can risk letting him into Downing Street.

Well, you just wait.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Paul Mason used to be pretty normal, or at least was much, much better at hiding it. I've seen lots of hints online that he's a heavy drug user but don't know how much of that is true.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Josef bugman posted:

That sounds incredibly daft. Both the resurrecting and the idea of a purely predatory offshoot of humanity.

It's a faintly puzzling thing to include, like if you write a novel about an exploration spaceship and all the engineering crew happen to be werewolves for some reason and the rest of the crew just kind of roll with it and it doesn't really impact the plot in any way.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Angepain posted:

The important question is, can artificial intelligence finally replace the art of forum posting?

It would be pretty funny to set up a few ai accounts on here and then watch the people who don't realise arguing with them, yes!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just imagine sitting in a meeting with a bunch of consultants explaining that this PowerPoint slide they have up on the screen is everyone's honest opinions about you lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Imagine an alternate universe where they were called Space Warriors or Space Troopers or something. It just doesn't work!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Looks like Kyiv is going to be the new Kabul for when Boris wants to duck an awkward event lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rustybear posted:

i fuckin hate keith but if your immediate response to labour gaining a seat at a byelection for the first time in ten years and by double digits points is 'this is bad for keir' then you might have other motives than simply commenting on the situation

It's not being gloomy for the sake of it: the swing was due much more to Tory voters staying at home than it was people being enthused to come out and vote Labour. The implication is: that with a new leader and a new approach, the Tories can bounce straight back at the next election, as Labour's weak lead evaporates once again.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kegluneq posted:

I'm not at all up to date on the Black Library but the books are generally pretty well regarded by fans. How good they are depends a little on your benchmarks for 'good' and how tolerant you are of derivative genre fiction (my favourites are basically rewrites of Sharpe, Flashman and All Quiet on the Western Front).

Some of them can be 'good', insofar as books based on little plastic models of orks and armoured knights with chainsaws can be good, I guess :shrug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Only kidding, I can't get enough of that pulpy space opera stuff :laugh:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Iain Banks was a brilliant ideas guy but his books tended to be kind of rushed and poorly edited, so the great ideas didn't translate into great novels. I read once that his working pattern was to start a book in the new year, then take the rest of the year off once he'd finished it, so he was always eager to get it out of the way as quickly as possible (He preferred playing the Civilization games to actually writing, which I can completely empathise with).

I think a lot of his books would have been greatly improved if he'd taken a few months to revise and rewrite the original draft. Thing is, once he'd got sufficiently famous, people would go out and buy whatever he produced (I was one of these people!), so he never had the incentive to craft a polished final version.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think that sums up The Business and Transition nicely. Like they are certainly ideas for books, but did they need to be written?

Yeah, they're both fascinating plot hooks that have blatantly been banged out as a stream of consciousness rather than taking the time to think them through and properly map out a plot. I actually remember Transition pissing off younger me, 'cos I bought the hardback and he'd so obviously paid only the minimum attention to hitting the word count lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I saw all the new posts, though perhaps Starmer had resigned but no, it's just you nerds going on about comic books.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Once again I've been tricked into thinking something has happened, only this time it's an extended discussion about the comparative amounts of piss, poo poo and vomit that get sprayed around male and female toilet cubicles.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Better than video game chat, I guess.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Jesus, I come in here looking for advice on how to wipe my arse and you're all banging on about politics.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
An actual good and fascinating story from the Guardian about the personal fallout there's been from the crypto crash:

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...he-crypto-crash

So many amateurs who saw Bitcoin spiraling ever higher and genuinely believed that this was their one chance to gain financial security, it's really sad.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

Not that I want to turn this into a butts thread, but was the guy in that story who had $525,000 and lost it all ever able to realistically turn that into regular currency or was it just an imaginary number on an app?

He probably could have converted a decent chunk of it, depending on taxes etc! From the article, he'd become so immersed in the collective crypto delusion of Youtube videos, subreddits and Discord channels that he truly believed that prices could only ever keep spiraling upwards and there was no need to cash out. Poor bastard gave his interview from a residential therapy centre, where he was trying to recover from the crushing depression caused by seeing all of his dreams crumble to dust.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I pretty much do support accelerationism at this point. The contrast this week between a country desperate for somebody to do something about the terrible cost of living crisis and a Westminster bubble talking about nothing but who's up or down in the Tory leadership contest and stupid loving culture war nonsense has been giving me real 'Versailles in the 1780's' feelings. It's difficult to look at the current clown show that's UK politics and conclude anything else but that our current system is no longer capable of dealing with, or even acknowledging the mess that we're in. I'm also reflecting that: forget rising living standards; a democracy that can't even provide the most basic security for its citizens in the form of food, housing and energy supplies is not likely to remain a democracy for very long.

I don't mean to gang up on Looke at all (whose views I respect), this is just me typing out my own thoughts in response to his posts. I used to be a lesser of two evils guy myself but I feel that we're way beyond that being any sort of solution at this point: continuing to vote for the slightly less poo poo option is actively contributing to our spiralling decline and we have to demand something better.

Cheery thoughts for a Friday, I know :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
We're seeing this exact same argument over in the USA, between people who agree that the Dems are dogshit but that it's ultimately a choice between them or the Republicans and people who think that there's no point at all in voting for a "Things still get worse, just a bit more slowly" option and want to build something different. Dunno if this is just an Anglosphere thing or whether there's similar tensions in other Western nations too.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Reveilled posted:

I do occasionally wonder, do you think that back in 1900 when the trade unions were deciding to set up a new political party, that people made the same arguments then as they do today? You're splitting the left! What, do you want another Tory government? A liberal government is the lesser evil!

Pretty much, lol:

The Guardian, in 1893 posted:

There is a great deal to be done by pressing labour questions on the attention of Liberal politicians, and insisting on a plentiful direct representation of labour; but there is nothing to be done by embarrassing Liberalism to the sole profit of the one anti-labour party in the State, and this is the feeling with which the vast majority of English workmen will read some of the less practical speeches at the Bradford conference.

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/from-the-archive-blog/2011/may/17/guardian190-independent-labour-party-foundation

"The Liberal Party is totally getting round to doing some stuff to help ordinary people! Starting a Labour Party right now can only harm that, you know!"

The Guardian never loving changes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Does she have two pairs of eyebrows there?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I can't imagine Kate being assertive enough to demand stuff of anyone tbh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

In my mind he just return to his alcove to recharge like a Borg, or else swap out for one of his replacement heads like Kryten. Some kind of poo poo robot anyway

I read a Will Self story once set in a pub where one of the characters was secretly an alien. Each night it'd leave the pub and return to a house which looked normal from the exterior but which was completely empty inside and the alien would simply stand silently in one of the rooms and wait for the morning, upon which they'd leave the house and resume their character again.

Anyway, I assume Starmer's home life is pretty much like that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The UK media completely ignoring the Forde report is kind of eerie when you compare it to the shrieking hysteria of the Corbyn years, even to a bitter old cynic like me. Bring on Prime Minister Truss, the country thoroughly deserves it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Why do Labour still bother with these 3 word slogans and focus grouped bullet points: we all know they'll have forgotten them themselves within a fortnight 'cos they're now organising Keith's umpteenth relaunch or whatever.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

The UK would definitively prefer a fucken idiot who believes in some evil poo poo, than a clever-clogs who believes in absolutely nothing.

Well yeah, I'd prefer Truss over Starmer: at least Truss as PM would provide a few laughs.

And who the gently caress would want to see Starmer droning away on the news every single night, Christ.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tarnop posted:

It might be a popular policy but it's bad for capital so the answer is no. That's what Labour's game is. It doesn't matter if they win or not, they exist to mark the leftmost point for acceptable political ideas.

Yeah, it makes sense as soon as you look at it through the lens of the Establishment parties being there to sustain the status quo rather than reflect the wishes of the voters. So what if there's been a solid majority for renationalisation for years and years: the billionaires don't want it, so it's not on the agenda. gently caress you plebs: have some more austerity instead.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'll laugh if this ends in a frantic renationalisation of the utilities by a panicking Conservative government.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Aphex- posted:

Oh I absolutely agree, ever since I started in this industry I realised that it's absolutely loving moronic that this poo poo isn't nationalised.

Yeah same, I spent some time working for Thames Water and there's no coherent justification for them being private beyond: More money for us; gently caress you.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

Specifically it seems the point isn't to even necessarily deny them the money so much as force a mass arbitrage that they don't have the resources to handle, and thus will do what anything Too Big To Fail will do and make the government deal with the hard part.

I see it as a way of forcing nationalisation: a messy and rushed seizure of their assets is still preferable to the status quo.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've got to say, all the sensible grownups tut-tutting about the idea of a mass movement of people simply irresponsibly stopping paying their energy bills has me more convinced than ever that it's an excellent idea.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

"The country's main left wing party needs to remove all traces of the Left from itself, no matter how 'soft' or 'centrist'. I was paid a large amount of money to write this astonishing drivel."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Gove clearly calculating that Truss isn't going to last long and wants to be positioned for a quick comeback when she crashes and burns:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/19/gove-backs-sunak-and-says-truss-taking-holiday-from-reality

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Cambridge is so loving stupid: a world class university and a thriving centre of hi-tech industry, crammed into the footprint of a medieval city and surrounded by hundreds of square miles of empty fields.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

winegums posted:

Feels like electoral politics has utterly failed to deal with any of the issues facing us. Everything Corbyn tried to put in policies against has come together in an awful shitshow. And nobody wants to learn these lessons, if anything they're memory-holing everything he did and everything they did to discredit him.

I don't know what's worse, the anticipated misery of this winter, or the inevitable indifference of everyone important.

One way or another, this is going to get sorted. If electoral politics can't or won't tackle it, then it will be dealt with by non-electoral politics, which is likely to be a messy business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This is the UK thread. There are dedicated threads to Ukraine elsewhere for you to make shrill, accusatory posts about other goon's lack of dedication to the glorious cause of perpetual warfare.