Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

think i'm nearing the end of chapter 4. argenta + two officers ftw, the last time an enemy had a turn was in chapter 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the third officer doesn't really add anything since argenta will already have heavy boltered everyone to death after the second bring it down/finest hour combo

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

well, apparently you get another ap increase at level 45. lol

edit: voice of command, air of authority and bring it down in round 1 :pusheen:

Zodium fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 26, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:getin:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i read that it didn't work, but my damage went up a lot, so i assume it does work? haven't patched.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Even bigger than the extra-versatility from bursts issue is the fact that any kind of bonus that switches control back to the Arch-Militant means they can use all their abilities again. In theory, Wildfire should give them one extra attack per round and Steady Superiority should give them one extra attack per round.
But if an officer uses Take Them Down to give them 2 AP then they get to attack once using those, but they also get a free burst from Steady Superiority and another from Wildfire. Then control switches back to the officer who uses Move Move Move! to switch control back to the arch-militant who in theory shouldn't be able to attack at all, but they get a free burst from Steady Superiority and another from Wildfire. Total 5 bursts. Then the other officer does the same thing. All this murder has given enough Momentum for a Finest Hour in which they fire ~5 more bursts. And then they finally take their actual turn...

waht the hell are you fighting that argenta gets her actual turn

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

owlcat just really wants you to hyperspecialize. one awareness guy, one medicae guy, one logic guy, and one fighty guy.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

improved heavy bolter is completely insane.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

Was the design intent that you have to pick 1-2 main vendors and stick with them?

yeah the design intent seems to be you should hyperspecialize. 1 guy per skill, 1 fighter, 1 faction (2 if you count the navy). it's weird but very consistent.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Does Chapter 4 get really stingy with navigator points or something? I got to the end of Chapter 3, exploring every system, without a single warp event.

not really. orange routes also give an event that yield 6 navigator points so i've had around 40-50 through all of chapter 4 because i never upgraded warp safety outside a few central routes i made green.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Taear posted:

And this has been said but I loving absolutely hate the archetype system. It's boring poo poo. I have four arch militants because the other classes just seem so lacking in comparison, but also I just feel like they're "extras" and everyone should be like a Psyker where you're picking a class that directly gives you a bunch of stuff.
The archetypes (especially when it comes to your Navigator) just feel OFF and I'm not sure how else to describe it. Like in Wrath even though I'm absolutely poo poo at pathfinder I at least am curious about what to do with all the different classes and I played through 3 times to see what it's like. Here they seem really samey. And Operative is so unbelievably faffy that I really hate it. This also goes for the Strategist one.

everything is basically built up around a weird one guy for everything principle. having just finished the game on unfair, my party was RT (officer/master tactician), Argenta (soldier/arch militant), Cassia (officer/grand strategist doing psyker stuff), Pasqal (operate/grand strategist doing combat area stuff), Yrliet (assassin) and Ulfar (arch-militant), but in practice the last two basically never got to do anything after act 2. every fight pasqal would open with dropping machine spirit communication and the rear combat area on Argenta with a bolter, positioned for LOS on as many enemies as possible, with the combat locus stratagem and rapid reload stratagems, maybe a frontline area if there was a boss and i felt like it. my RT would usually go next for some reason and drop voice of command/air of authority/bring it down on Argenta, who would immediately use the warcry and start alternating bursts on hp sponges and single shots on weaker enemies until her steady superiority was powered up, then more firing to max momentum again, back to RT for finest hour on Argenta, then cassia rounding up enemies with point of interest/notch of purpose/zone of fear before giving Argenta a final round of bring it down/finest hour. no battles laster longer than that through the final boss and took maybe 1-5 minutes a piece.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm suddenly unable to build any more colony improvements. The boxes are all x'd out.
I think this might have happened once I filled every box on Foulstone.
Anyone else experienced this?

yeah. not sure why it happens and slots will randomly open up at times, but I found out you can click the projects button instead of a slot to build if the slots are closed.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

finest hour seems to bug out if you use it during pre initiative turns like given by seize the initiative.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Same thing with Bring Them Down, I use it on Cassia before her actual turn and she can only use officer abilities

might not be a bug. if cassia also has seize the initiative, that's probably the "turn" you're triggering. the finest hour thing basically gives you infinite ap by bouncing it between people in a certain way that seems to give the next character full ap each time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pasqal ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

I still don't see how anyone matches Argenta (or Ulfar, but most people use Argenta) for sheer damage dealing ability - i can get nice big crits from Yrliet sniping but that's at most a couple attacks a turn, and I can see how Pasqual can do a lot of damage with a heroic action but it's single shot plasma and takes a lot longer and a lot more clicking and of course requires a heroic action.

yeah. there's no matching argenta because she can literally take down the 20k hp final boss before it gets a turn. pasqal is maybe technically as powerful as argenta thorough act 4 on a damage per turn basis because you can get his ap cost down to zero and then use finest hour on him to fire 11 times, but in terms of actual irl time spent firing single plasma shots it's much worse and less fun, and argenta still massively outpaces him in the end with act 5 bolters.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

Yrliet does more work then my Argenta now in chapter 4 with the stacking assassin buffs and true damage, I started funneling officer abilities to her instead.

Finished off a boss so hard it doesn't even give the damage value, just the true damage dealt, which was several hundred. I guess it applies that first. I'll be honest, I think anybody saying they've mastered the combat system and understand how it works and calculates is just lying.

argenta does several hundred damage per individual burst shot.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

That's the true damage, so the actual hit was several thousand. I think there's also crit multiplication going on to get it that high. No clue what the order of operations is.

all hit chance over 95% is converted to crit chance, so it's trivial to get her to max crit chance because it basically happens automatically as she builds stacks, and you only need to build for damage and crit damage. the first bring it down round will get her to 8 stacks, then first finest hour to just under 20, and then your ballistic skill is in the several hundreds while you go to second bid/fh cycle and annihilate everything still standing. between run and gun, dash and finest hour you have more than enough mp to reposition as needed to hit everything even in large areas like the act 5 maps. the calculations don't really matter because the numbers quickly become Large.

Carcer posted:

Its demotivated me to continue playing it. Whats the point if every combat ends with argenta having murdered everything before her first actual turn comes up.

it's fun to figure it out, like solving a puzzle.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bolters kick rear end and I like the sound they make

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

I still haven't figured out what powers the ship ultimate cooldowns. half the time they have a full bar but are grayed out

I turned on the toybox dialogue helper thing sometime in act 4, and it turns out yellow warps give a lot of events that cause a little to moderate cooldown on ship ultimates even though there's zero indication of that in the text. might be that.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dash is very good for that, and also general mobility and positioning.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm at the point where I've explored the whole warp route network that's available. What connections should I make with points?

make green connections between dargonus and your other colonies and you're pretty much gtg

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Frog Act posted:

How thorough is respecing/generally possible is it to gently caress up a build? I want to make a Noble Officer and have focused on Fellowship/Willpower at creation but there are a lot of factors going on, and don’t want to start off on the wrong foot with a crummy character. First time playing an Owlcat game

This is what started with:

I'm okay if it isn't completely 100% optimal, just want to know if it's viable

it's pretty hard to brick an officer build. your officer basically needs a lot of fellowship to power up voice of command, bring it down, finest hour and air of authority, all but the last of which are innate starting abilities.

edit: also didn't have all these issues with act 4. there were some bugs like uncompleted rumors and the pirate ship and whatnot but it all seemed fairly cosmetic, I only had to force complete a couple of companion quests and teleport to ulfars quest area in act 5.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 1, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there are a lot of out of combat wp checks that will use your mc rather than highest character so it's not a bad secondary stat, and basically every stat besides fellowship is a dump stat anyway. agility is good for initiative too, I think I picked that for my starting boost since you can't increase it by leveling as an officer.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yep. just remember owlcat wants you to hyperspecialize characters to the point of absurdity and you'll breeze through most content.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the lack of orks is criminal

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cheating kicks rear end

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ojetor posted:

Is there a sink for navigator points later on? I haven't been using them at all except to turn orange routes into yellow so I have like 25 saved up. Even though yellow routes are called Unsafe I find that 95% of the time you just get random spooky events that don't appear to have any consequence. The one time something actually happened it was just an encounter with 3 pink horrors that got evaporated in a single turn.

no. this is also basically what I did, green connections between dargonus and the other colonies and then everything else yellow or orange, and I ended with like 40 points.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Taear posted:

This is wrong - you can shoot a torpedo every other turn (even with the starting ones) so you can absolutely have more than one set out there. They blow up in 4 turns so you'll usually have 2. That's been true for me for the entire game unless it was just a bug?

Ulfar's limited gear is really loving annoying though. At least Abelard can use everything. Also he's sort of a bellend.

I had a really nice Heavy Bolter on Argenta that has vanished in Act 3 and now I can't find any more. I'm really frustrated about it because I bought it off a merchant so it's not replaceable.

Also in act 4 all my colony things finish IMMEDIATELY which is uh...nice but strange?

the heavy bolter isn't supposed to disappear, I would toybox it back. you won't get an equivalent until like end of act 4 or act 5.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the only class I don't really care for is operator.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i think officers are a pretty cool idea and I enjoyed playing it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

there's definitely no limit to how many torpedoes you can field at a time, and you can shoot four in the round you activate the torpedo ultimate if you do it after you fire your normal round. with the eldar torpedoes you can have ten in the field at a time.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Taear posted:

I definitely can't do that unfortunately.

It sounds like if you go and visit Idira's door before you do the area you can out one of Winter's men as a Khorne worshipper. But because I didn't do that and I can't go back I seem to be buggered. Which like I say is dumb as hell because his troops transform into bloodletters! And he doesn't seem to care?
It's frustrating because the combat in the forest is EASILY one of the worst in the game where it's all snipers who can sometimes oneshot one of your guys, it was a real pain in the arse to get done. Not one that's hard, but one that's just based around random rolls. "I hit that guy and kill him in one hit or he dodges and does it to me" sorta combat

the blessed bolter casing accessory that guarantees hits on single shot bolter attacks pulls an insane amount of weight against all eldar bullshit

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wouldn't know how powerful idira is since there are never any mobs alive by the time she gets to act. could be very powerful

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'm pretty sure Bring it Down! actually does apply a debuff so it can't be used on the same person multiple times. The issue is that this doesn't apply to other extra turn sources like the officer ultimate.

that's voice of command

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

combat would make more sense if it was designed for four rather than six party members.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

don't think burst attacks count as area attacks. they're their own type, like single shot or deadeye.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

did not enjoy act 3 at all. "get imprisoned and lose all your gear" is basically never fun and games should stop doing it.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

That's right, I like rping a fascist in 40k game threads 😈

i'm not rping :evilbuddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

in the fuhrerbunker playing warhammer 40,000: rogue trader with my good friend, hitler, laughing and high fiving every time we choose a dogmatic response.