Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nervous posted:

Elon laughs at this in comparison to the billions he's already lit on fire.

I don't think Elon would have the knowledge or talent remaining to be able to skillfully obstruct that request.

Best case scenario would be him flooding twitters servers with their indoor pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Gyges posted:

To be fair, I'm also laughing at the idea of putting price tags on all the costs for Trump's Defense like it matters if the bill is $0 or $10 Billion.

Trump isn't getting a real rich guy defense. He's getting a bunch of crazy people who think that they'll be the one person that ol' Donnie finally pays. It's a clown car of criminals and incompetents. An actual public defender' office would almost certainly field a better team.

Wasn't there an article a few weeks back that Trump has been draining his PAC on legal defenses? Something like 90% of the funds had been used for it?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I am asking an electoral procedural question 3 years after it's relevance but it may figure into the false electors legal issue.

From my understanding of presidential elections, each state has its assigned electoral votes and those votes are cast in a winner take all based on who won the popular vote in that state. These electoral votes are actually cast by real people who are chosen by their party ahead of the election (hey if our guy wins the election, you and x number of others are going to go cast the states electoral votes).

Were the fake electors the original assigned Republican electors prior to the election or did they round up an additional group of Republican electors and just say "yo I know we had another group of people who were supposed to do this but they can't, so you will do it instead"

I would think that would 1) set off alarm bells for these folks that something was up and 2) actually create some evidence for the fake electors plot because I could see the fake electors go "hey isn't it weird that they're not using the guys who were supposed to cast these ballots if Trump won?" What was the explanation for going with an alternative group?

Considering how PA group had additional wording saying "we are just going to use this group if it is necessary" and Trump's people declined to put the same language in the other state groups because they were worried about optics if it got out, the electors were aware that things were not on the up and up.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a reason why it looks like a powerful laser is being shined at their head? I thought the first was a fuckup but now there are two mugshots like that.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
People keep thinking millennials are college kids or 20's, but no we are firmly in our 30's and early 40's. We're middle management territory now. Well we would be if there was more upward mobility and less economic turmoil for our generation but y'know, thems the times.

I will concede that "Those drat millennials!" Rolls off the tongue better than "Those drat Gen z'rs!"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Next up is Trump team asking for Cannon to be removed for prejudice against Trump, because by ruling that MAL is an inappropriate place for a SCIF she is tacitly saying that MAL should never have held classified documents in the first place. Thereby rendering a verdict on Trump before a trial could occur, a violation of Trump's civil rights.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Haystack posted:

Is there a good breakdown of Trumps various holdings, and which ones are subject to this ruling?

This article has a list of properties, as well as how those properties were fraudulently valued which got him into this mess.

One thing I find really interesting about the article is the extent of how he had such wonky math for valuations.

My favorite was him owning minority stake in a building (30%), he could sell his stake until 2044, but he treated it like a ready asset by just taking 30% of the building's profits and ignoring any debt accumulated.

Alternatively he valued his golf courses by assigning an arbitrary membership fee to unsold memberships. People who bought memberships typically paid 10k a year for the memberships. The unsold memberships he valued 50 to 300% higher.

Just going through this article I can best say it as "I don't own a chicken yet, but I put a deposit down on an egg that will be laid in March. I am assuming this egg will be female and the chick will begin laying a dozen eggs each day after one week of growth.

Each egg I will be able to sell for 50 dollars. Each offspring hen I will get will be worth 500 dollars. No I don't have a Rooster, why do you ask? I would like to take out a loan against these yet unrealized profits. I will also sell futures on these chickens. The transactions will be handled by a nonprofit I established."

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

So what are the odds that dimes are moved and Trump implicates himself further by going on a lengthy rant explaining why it's actually totally cool and okay for him to do it?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Randalor posted:

Pretty sure it's an over/under you're looking at, not an odds game. I'd say... before or after 5pm next Tuesday for when he violates the order.

So is it over/under at the time he commits the acts, or the time we find out he committed the acts?

If it time of actual crime, I'll take the under because he is probably actively moving money right now as we speak.

If its when we find out I'll go over because getting info on financial crimes takes a moment to find out.

I will also bet that he implicates himself in his next long form interview with a receptive interviewer (Hannitty or Newsmax, etc). He'll start talking about how the judge is terrible, it's a terrible decision, then he will start spiralling, going into how he interpreted the order while the interview keeps trying to change the topic.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Bible posted:

Well, he has lost access to his kids, is enraged literally all day every day, many times without any reason, and is utterly hated by the vast majority of the US. His brain is also trapped in a slow meltdown where he honestly fears things such as ghosts, demons, and various other supernatural cryptids, and is surrounded mostly by other miserable conservative old men.

He eats better food than you and probably sleeps in a more comfortable bed in a bigger house, but his life sucks very much right now. Would you honestly want to switch places with him right now?

I think Alex Jones's stomach and guts hurts more often than mine do.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is it standard for lawyers to pay fines their clients incur during court? Just deduct it from the retainer or something?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

The amazing part is that Santos probably didn't want to win. He's a scam artist, whose latest scam seemed to be doing political campaigns in hopeless districts and pocketing campaign money. Only the local democrats hosed up so bad he ended up winning and now has to manage in the congress.

A true Springtime for Hitler gambit.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Does lawyering typically slow down during a large holiday? I would imagine that would be the downside of being a high priced lawyer, but the flip side is overtime and bonuses for dealing with this.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks for the info on holiday lawyer work folks. I figured it was a non-issue but didn't know enough.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Honest question for goons with education in this area : if the cult leader dies, does some meaningful set of followers begin getting deprogrammed? If the cult leader gets deplatformed - say, because they're in jail - do cultists in any meaningful numbers begin to leaveor rejoin the broader society?

One factor that will throw a wrench into predicting how likely a collapse of MAGA-ism is that this form of cult is heavily influenced by the Internet, social media and manufactured safe spaces.

We have examples of unsuccessful cults that died out when the leaders were removed (Heaven's Gate, People's Temple, Aum Shinrikyo), but then you also have Scientology which I would call a success even after its main figurehead died.

Part of the issue now is that even without Trump you can reinforce cult behavior through social media behavior or engineer a false reinforcement through botting and AI tools. I can't think of an example of cults that have got off the ground and crashed and burned in recent years that used these methodologies.

In addition, pushing MAGA-ism has a tangible benefit to outside state actors that would like to see American divisions. So even if Trump were to drop dead I can see foreign state actors creating Q-Anon style drops using deep fakes with Trump to continue tricking Americans, so that's another reinforcement factor.

Only way I could think of stopping these reinforcements is removal of anonymity to get rid of botting, identify foreign actors and AI subterfuge. That would be trading all of our current problems with new, more exciting and dystopian problems.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He'd have to do something that inherently ruins the feelings.

I still think Ted Cruz could have won the republican debate if he'd just responded to trumps insults by walking across the stage and punching him in the throat.

I kept donating to Chris Christie because I was hoping for this to precisely happen during a debate, but Trump wisely chose not to show up.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Aztec Galactus posted:

This is certainly a way to frame what happened

I mean the couple who stayed behind and operated their website kept the cult going, so perhaps I should have slotted it with Scientology as a success.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Appeals court rules Trump can't claim immunity from Capital Police lawsuits.

Trump keeps claiming immunity on every single issue he has ever had since 2016. They haven't really borne fruit for him since he was no longer president, but I am curious what would happen to all of these immunity claims if SC were to find merit in him claiming immunity.

Doubtless Trump would claim immunity even harder and then we would have the joys over quibbling over how immune he is in every civil, state or federal trial he gets involved in.

Professor Beetus posted:

e: so if ignorance of the law is not an acceptable excuse for not following the law, then no, a 90 day period is not necessary and I have no sympathy for business owners who can't be bothered with making sure their business complies with ADA requirements day one. It's not a new law and if you're going into business you should know that.

My state and surrounding states had a number of people and organizations (E: Turns out it was one dude) that abused the ADA and State ADA laws and sued a number of small businesses for tens of thousands of dollars. Most of the lawsuits came from parking conditions no longer meeting the ADA requirements and the owners being unaware of this, but were easily fixable.

-Handicap sign was no longer straight.
-Handicap sign not high enough
-Handicap sign no longer met size requirements from initial install
-Handicap parking marked but missing sign
-Signage meeting old regulations but no longer in compliance with new revisions.

More along those lines. Anyway the big offender was a non-profit called AID that didn't disclose to the IRS that they would raise revenue through lawsuits. They would sue businesses for the maximum allowable amount based on handicap signs being wrong, then offer to settle prior to the court proceedings. They ended up filing 1700 suits in one year. Eventually their chief counsel was disbarred and a ton of the suits were thrown out.

The resulting fines were used for a fund that would educate business owners on ADA requirements and the businesses materially harmed could collect attorney fees from AID.

I agree with you that if a business is so far out of ADA compliance they need to be punished for it. If the business thinks they're in compliance and it appears they are at a layperson level, then they should be given a chance to fix the issue. If they don't, again bring the hammer, but I think good faith efforts should be encouraged. ADA violations definitely shouldn't be used as a moneymaking vehicle for private persons/organizations, but I think with the rulings back in 2017 have helped close that gray area and provided stricter rules.

Couple of articles I used to refresh my memory.
Changing AzDA requirements over the years
Settlement notice from the AG on the cases being thrown out.
Article about AID before courts found them as frivolous litigants
Article about AID's lead counsel continuing lawsuits pro se after he was disbarred for his actions

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like watching. they were basicaly smashing the windows in and the cops in front of the door move off to the side, probably because they can clearly here the cops on the other side say "dont cross this line" and then you see her call of duty jump throught the window and them come out a second later because the got blow backward. you can see a bunch of the chuds start backing off really loving quickly then.

Why did the cops move off to the side? I thought they were rioters until I noticed the patches.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do we think that the fishing expedition worked to get their client better terms for that settlement?

I think so. Wade probably offered some more terms to the ex to get this closed. If he was all aboard, sucks for him but I appreciate trying to get this resolved for public interest in seeing Trump tried.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, my parents did this for me too when I was young. And later got me to apply for a low credit ceiling card and had me use it for everything and immediately pay it off to generate a good credit history.

I mean, as long as you pay off all your purchases every month, it's nothing but upsides to the user anyway. You pay the same (unless some retailers charge more for the use of credit, like some gas stations do) but you can get the cashback, travel miles, whatever on top for "free".

My dad did this to me too, without telling me.

It was great for awhile and then I found out I had a debt for a quarter of a million. Since my dad was retired and had bought his home outright, he decided to play chicken with his creditors and work on a reduced payoff to save some cash. It didn't matter to him if his credit was dumpstered due to it. Just so happened to be the card I was also on!

We got it cleared up but I thought my identity was stolen for a few days. Amusingly it's been 7 years ago as of November, so it dropped off his credit report and he has good credit again.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Murgos posted:

The Carroll money is due imminently so we’ll see what happens pretty soon.

I don’t think Trump can get his hands on even that much cash without breaking some other law so this should be interesting.

Would a ‘loan’ from some wealthy entity count as a campaign contribution considering how tightly coupled Trump claims these trials are to his campaign?

Does Trump need to show how he got that money? Are there checks on the transfer process?

It's just such a bogglingly vast sum that when a little person like me needs to be aware of things like structuring deposits and other limits, I would think there are additional mechanisms that half a billion dollars brings into play.

If Trump had the liquid cash ready to go I would still side-eye it thinking it was incredibly suspicious, but if he got something from a third party I would think all those transactions would be looked at under a microscope.

I do know I am heavily biased though, if I was in the govts position, I would want to make sure Trump isn't kiting the loving check before I would say we're good.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question on seizing Trumps' (45 and sons) poo poo.

Trump is leveraged to hell and I know there are a lot of co-interests in a lot of these properties. How are seizures done when you don't know who owns what?

I'm basing this off my understanding that in the court case Trump was inflating value or saying there was value in his properties when in reality he had some partner or other interest that co-owner properties.

Does the government become top creditor (probably wrong terminology here) and get to take Trump's stuff first before other pre-existing creditors?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

aniviron posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND MY AIDES OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS A VIDEO TAPE OF WHAT I DID YESTERDAY AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TRYING TO TO REMEMBER WHAT THE MAIN CHARACTER BIDEN WAS THINKING. I DO NOT REMEMBER LIVING THIS LIFE. MAKIN GRUNTING SOUNDS WHEN I GUM DOWN SOME CORN POPS OR EVEN WHEN I HAVE MALT O MEAL. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY FORGOT SUCH AN INCREDIBLE LIFE. I CAN. I MURMUR IT AND I MURMUR IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN THE WEST WING AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE WEST WING CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE FORGOTTEN ALL OF MY LIFE AND IVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND THE WHITE HOUSE LESS LONELY BY THINKING ABOUT MY FAMILY. 2 HOURS INCLUDING STARING AT THE WALLS EVERY MORNING. THEN I SIT.

You need to include a bit about his love for trains.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

That's just when you're involved. :smug:

This is the kind of debating that got Protagoras out of his bed every morning.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
When Carroll starts seizing Trump property, how does she know she has grabbed enough stuff? I know there was a whole trial about mis-evaluations but obviously a debt collector wouldn't listen to the evaluations of things from the debter.

To me it seems like she would claim valuation from other records, like tax filings... Which Trump massively undervalued, right?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

One should never miss an opportunity to share this comic-based explanation of entrapment.

https://thecriminallawyer.tumblr.com/post/19810672629/12-i-was-entrapped

I love this series. There is a whole website for the lessons now!

Surprisingly useful in internet arguments.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If real estate isn't appreciable collateral for the bond, then what is, at least where Trump is concerned?

I don't think Trump would have half a billion in baubles and gold plated toilets. Does he have investments or bonds? Ips he gets royalties on?

I can't think of anything Trump has (or has lied about having) that could be used for the bond beyond his properties.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
List of properties that will/may be seized.

Letitia's List posted:

Trump Park Avenue, New York, N.Y.
Trump Tower, New York, N.Y.
40 Wall Street, New York, N.Y.
Seven Springs, Westchester County, N.Y.
Trump International Hotel and Tower, Las Vegas, Nevada
Mar-a-Lago, Palm Beach, Florida
Trump National Golf Club Westchester, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.
Trump National Golf Club Charlotte, Mooresville, North Carolina
Trump National Golf Club Colts Neck, Colts Neck, New Jersey
Trump National Golf Club, Washington, D.C., Sterling, Virginia
Trump National Golf Club Hudson Valley, Hopewell Junction, N.Y.
Trump National Golf Club Jupiter, Jupiter, Florida
Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles, Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Trump National Golf Club Philadelphia, Pine Hill, New Jersey
Trump International Golf Links Scotland (Aberdeen)
Trump International Golf Links Scotland (Turnberry)

Blatant speculation but if the properties are seized I wonder what the odds are that they find MORE classified documents that I could see Trump leaving around because he forgot about them.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Is this your speculation or a list someone put out somewhere?

Article from Newsweek.

Article says the list is from letitia's office but I haven't checked for any announcements from her office.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

cr0y posted:

BUY!! 🚨

Not listed: web servers (and a million other things)

What is the icon on the left in layer 2? It looks more like a washing machine than a computer.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

BDawg posted:

https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772252059087057075?s=20
https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772256797409034745?s=20

Looks like he delays everything, including entering the courtroom.

Pic since I don't know how to inline Twitter.

Is this in relation to the half billion bond case, or is this a different case?

"Your honor, I couldn't post bond today because I was in a different court case."

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If he isn't able to come up with the 175 in 10 days does the court go back to seizing half a billion of stuff, or is it pegged to the 175 while the appeals are ongoing?

Also this seems like it is setting precedent that the NY law of requiring a bond to stay appeal seizures could be overturned/restricted by other plaintiffs in the future due to this ruling. Then again "When we wrote this law we didn't think someone could crime so hard to have half a billion at stake".

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Randalor posted:

Oh cool, Bible chat.

My family Bible is a massive loving Tome that doubles as a lethal weapon, and could take that pansy-rear end "Trump Bible" in a fight any day of the week. That's it, that's all I wanted to add.

Anyone want to see pics?

Oh heck yeah post that. I love seeing family bibles, the older the better.

There are three Bibles that I am really fond of in my family.

1) My aunt's bible, goes back about 80 years or so, really ornate, has family tree, leather bound and lovingly cared for.

2) My inlaw's bible, well loved, has a ton of notes and post-its where a particular verse would help them or they used with my wife and her sister growing up.

3) My uncle's "rough draft bible". He is a historian as well as a Baptist preacher, so he has his nice Bible and the Bible he uses for coming up with sermons. The working bible is full of post-its, random scrawlings, slips of paper, bits of info about historical happenings that coincide with specific verses of the Bible, that sort of thing. Kind of like Indiana Jones's father in the Last Crusade.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Randalor posted:

The bible is, I'd guess, around 120 years old (newest date I can find is 1900) and is beat to hell and back. I'd take more photos but it's a well-used copy.

Trump wants to sell a $60 bible? It better have colored pictures.

This is great. It is so well taken care of and really cool to look at. Thank you for sharing!

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

OgNar posted:

Ooh, good question.
I suppose they'd allow it though, since he gets away with everything else.
Or is that deadline up? poo poo I forget.
e: Yeah, I think he had until tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Cindylu64957499/status/1775596857151906137

Did he need to give a financial statement for the Carroll bond or not since that was a civil suit between citizens? Seems like this could show how little cash he has, unless that statement doesn't go as in-depth as I think it would?

Also the statement is only for the government/NY, the public doesn't get to immediately see it unless a Freedom of Information request is sent for it?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Looks like there is more information on the bond with Knight Insurance.

Basic gist is that the bond is collateralized by 175 million in cash in a trump account. There is a bit of legal argument on what it means to be able to post bond or not, but I imagine there is a lot I am not understanding on this.

I am curious, the 175 in cash would need to come from Trump himself, not his org because of the monitor in place, right?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Sarcastro posted:

Not intending to revive jurychat, but I loved this anecdote not for the idea that he was rejected immediately because he was a lawyer, or a corporate tax lawyer, but because with that pedigree he 100% without a doubt had done a DUI many times before.

Do they still shave prisoners' heads to reduce lice? That's what I want - finally, a look at his actual hairline.

The Preet Bharara podcast had an episode last week with Joyce Vance and Mimi Rocah called "The Art of Jury Selection". When they were talking about disqualification of jurors Joyce mentioned that her office had a habit of disqualifying astrophysicists (apparently there was a large number of them in the district she was in).

She explained that the science types were usually very exacting in a 2+2 must equal 4 which you couldn't always show in the evidence, so those jurors would usually vote to acquit. It boggled me when I first heard it, though I appreciated her candor in explanation.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I was in that "Goon Love is the Best Love" dating game years ago. Does that count as famous?

Plus I didn't stalk any of the other contestants!

In topic news, what is this?

Group sues Trump over 50 million debt.

Is this just a tax scam racket or something?

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 19, 2024

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Trump removed the offending posts just now.
Found further down on this link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
When Trump is eventually allowed to sell his stock and destroys Truth Social's stock price, how would that impact Truth Social as a company?

I am assuming that it would make lines of credit and investing into the company impossible, but does a stock crash immediately kill the company or what?