Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well they voted three ballots and still couldn't elect a Speaker, then they gave up until tomorrow. They have to figure that out, first.

Republicans truly have lost the ability to govern.

Eh, not really anything "lost" for some of these poo poo heads. The hardcore MAGA assholes and Freedom Caucus whack jobs are perfectly OK with exactly this level of governance. They'll campaign on it to out-conservative any challengers in the only thing they fear, a primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

Working as intended.

Literally. That's precisely what their voters elected them to "do".

Eh, I'd say their voters elected them to own the libs and attack their preferred target minorities. The billionaires and megacorporations that fund them though, yeah, useless paralysis is exactly what they want.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They already got mercy. They're getting mercy every day they continue to be alive. If they had been a black man with their hands in the air begging not to be shot they'd find out what a lack of mercy in America is.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes but also they’re like long, stupid cats which is amazing.

With the personality of a three year old hopped up on Pixie Sticks and crack.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd accept jail time, disqualification from holding elected office ever again and loss of so much wealth it changes his quality of life. That'd be a nice mattering.

Completely unrealistic though, this country doesn't punish people that get in to the elite tier justice system. He'll get inconsequential pocket change fines that hurt his ego more than anything else, and probably nothing else at all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Meanwhile for the other 99% of society if a cop is pissed because he didn't get laid last night you can end up behind bars for months waiting trial while you lose your job, house, car and more I can't even think of before you get a coin flip at being told "Oh yeah you didn't actually do anything whoopsie-doodle you'll be free to find your own way back across state when the paper work clears."

So to see Trump doing the criming live on internationally broadcast TV in his own words and get the Emerald Group Platinum+ Tier treatment might just piss some people off a teensy bit.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How many of them did more than pay some fines? Not even ruin-your-life level fines that can happen to normal people, just fines.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

Seriously, how much more evidence do they need before they just go ahead and indict him?

Justice delayed is something something, whatever. I'm sure that line isn't applicable here at all.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ihop posted:

This is probably a dumb question but if subpoenaed testimony butts heads with a nondisclosure agreement what happens?

I don't know a lot of lawyer-y stuff. What I have been seeing is that NDAs have been pretty routinely told to piss up a rope even just on first amendment grounds of "screw you I want to say that anyway". If there's a subpoena in the mix I can't see them having a hope of preventing testimony.

Unless you're a fascist bad faith actor looking for any piss poor rhetorical shield to hide behind. In which case our entire system seems to kind of grind to a halt and start sputtering things about dogs playing basketball.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

cr0y posted:

They need to arrest this moron and get him off the internet. There is already rumors about a "MAGA moat" of chuds surrounding maralago that I'm sure would be all too happy to get violent when law enforcement shows up.

I'm pretty OK with another Waco if the CHUDs are involved. It would be entirely self-selected at that point and they all deserve it. Let them catch the pointy end of our law enforcement system for once.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Murgos posted:

Name one criminal trial that’s ever stopped so that the defendant could go politic?

The DoJs policy is on not starting new investigations into political figures just ahead of an election so as not to influence the result. It also has nothing to do with already on going investigations. For example cross-fire hurricane or comey and Hillary’s emails.

That has nothing to do with trials what so ever which are managed by the judiciary.

Why the hell are even informed people so bad at understanding this?

Going on what, six, seven years now of Trump just doing all the crimes? Ain't poo poo happened to him yet, even when he is "punished". Sounds like a pattern for recognition to me and that's for the guy that led a violent insurrection. There's an entire society that has decades of doing precisely zero point fuckall to rich people for anything.

Keep a hold on that hope if it helps you I guess. Just seems unrealistic to expect others to share it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PainterofCrap posted:

Sooner or later, the defendant runs out of time.

Trump is 70 something years old and has been doing this poo poo since he could legally sign a document. How many more decades can the US as a functioning society hold together waiting for this to happen?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

does this mean hes going to jail or

lol no, this isn't even the beginning of the start of the introduction to the foreword. Trump has money. This is going to be years of motions, delays, arguments, appeals. Justice doesn't happen to the rich.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FCKGW posted:

Breaking an NDA is not against the law. NDAs are just legal contracts that have very severe penalties. You can be sued and financially ruined by breaking an NDA but you won’t be thrown in jail.

Courts have been making GBS threads on NDAs pretty constantly. First amendment argument has a pretty good track record on telling them to get hosed. This being America they still end up being effective, just usually against people without the socioeconomic resources to fight in court against the people/organizations writing them. Because, again, America. We have to screw the poor in *everything*.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Gonna have to other the poo poo out of some fascists if they get the power they want and start the pogroms they'd all love to do on whatever flavor of out group gets in their cross hairs at that moment. I'm pretty OK with declaring that poo poo not-cool for people to do and disqualifying for consideration of inclusion in society.

Call it a part of human nature until the cows come home, at some point it's unacceptable to act on. Train cars of LBGT people, mass execution of political opposition and whatever other poo poo these assholes are braying for every night on Fox is across that line. They haven't done it yet so I'm not personally willing to sign that letter in my heart of hearts. I am willing to be crystal loving clear about what they want and where this is going. Better angels only extend so far.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For fascists hypocrisy isn't a problem, it's a privilege. They'll have less than zero problem holding both view points at the same time; they'll enjoy that it pisses off their enemies.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Uglycat posted:

I literally live with a 78yo Bernie supporter who is finding a new charge every day. He's calling and disputing them as they arise.

He has always despised Donald Trump and never would have signed up in the first place.

Like, i live with this man today and wake up every morning for the last week to him on the phone disputing this bullshit. He's canceled all his cards and had new ones issued.

As in the Bernie campaign is doing the same thing?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think we're talking past each other - it seems clear that the old dude is getting spurious charges from Team Trump

That's a possibility but one I had sorta dismissed. If Team Trump is just randomly charging cards of people that never even gave them the card's information and didn't even give them the fig leaf of approval that has been happening with Trump's fundraising emails that's as close to out and out fraud as I can possibly imagine. I'm trying to parse what the original message was about and there's a lot of ambiguity.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shooting Blanks posted:

Item #3 is wild. Jurors' names, employment, and immediate family employment? I'd love to hear any justification for such an open-ended inquiry.

I mean yeah the justification would be wild in the "wonder what kind of lies they would make up" sense but every one not a lying fascist knows the real reason would be to splash their family faces all over Fox and then be shocked, shocked I say, when one gets murdered.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why do these people make mycrimes.mp3?

Why not? Doesn't hurt them.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MrNemo posted:

Off to try and launch a presidential bid on the basis of forcing the Pennsylvania Dutch to speak standard English.

What're you grexing about? They're perfectly understandable so quit your brutzing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What are the punishments for ignoring that and just making GBS threads out on to social media every bit of discovery that he wants to? I don't think there is any kind of punishment available without extralegal activities that will convince Trump he shouldn't do something he wants to do. I mostly wonder, in an academic sense, what consequences the courts will threaten him with that he will ignore and then never suffer because he has money.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

Contempt of Court, generally, which can lead to additional fines and even jail time if the judge gets pissed enough.

Ah, so money he doesn't care about and confinement that will never happen.

Cool.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Justice delayed is, I dunno, something something or whatever.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
:airquote:Justice:airquote: in this country works really, *REALLY* god drat fast if you're not a rich, white guy politician. So fast that a lot of people end up dead on the street before they get their day in court. Even if they do actually manage to get to a trial it's frequently after spending the intervening time in pre-trial detention possibly without even a lawyer up to that point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It certainly matters for Rudy if somebody comes across hard evidence for the scheme.

Rudy isn't the smartest man. If you can get him to flip (or even slip up) on pointing to where Trump hid the skeletons, that could make a huge difference.

Best bet would be some kind of documentation or recordings Rudy has. For as much as he has apparently pickled his decaying brain meats I can easily see him being a lovely, useless witness.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Lone Badger posted:

My understanding is that an important part of the declassification procedure is reprinting the documents without the 'classified' branding. If someone sees documents marked as being classified, then even if they are personally certain that the documents are no longer classified they are required to handle the copies-so-marked as if they were.

tl:dr if a document says 'classified' on it then it is, even if it isn't.

True for normal people who suffer consequences for loving it up. More of a suggestion though when there are no consequences.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The election system is so rigged they can get a majority with that tiny base, so that's all they need. And if it's not they'll just rig things harder.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If the court gets see-saw'd back and forth getting packed by each side.....so what? What's it going to do, lose legitimacy in the eyes of the public? Good, it needs to until there's reform. At least there would be periods of time where it is not staffed by a majority hand picked agents of fascism antithetical to the very concept of representational democracy. That's better than what we have now and all it costs is legitimacy they shouldn't have right now anyway? Sign me up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There is a very detailed process for declassification of information that has steps for things exactly like that photo. This process is what Trump is theoretically in trouble for ignoring.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ryde posted:

On the other hand, there was that unhinged Truth Social rant about being treated "unfairly" after his lawyers met with the DoJ, so....

It's Trump though. Every mouth fart he barfs out on social media is unhinged angry ranting.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s a good podcast to keep up with all this news nowadays? I used to listen to opening arguments but stopped because of the host being a sexpest

You can go back to OA, he got replaced.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh, welp. Guess I got that one wrong.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Randalor posted:

So we have to wait for the end of the day to hear about Trump getting more and more irritable through the indictment as he keeps trying to talk over the magistrate, the magistrate getting angrier and angrier, and finally culminating in the magistrate ordering him gagged, Trump trying to storm out and taking a swing at the guards, and finally being detained and thrown in jail overnight?

Yes that's just fanfiction, but come on, just try to tell me you wouldn't want to see him spend even one night for acting like a petulant little poo poo for once.

I'll also take "Trump sat quietly and patiently through the whole thing and peacefully left the courtroom without making a massive court circus of the whole ordeal. Which is also fanfiction at this point.

I can maybe see it happening. Depends where he is on his narcissistic rage cycle. If he blew up real good at his lawyers when he fired them he may be able to bottle up his anger enough to get through it silently.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Oof, hope he got cash for it with a disclaimer like that on the bottom. Only smart lawyer I've seen around Trump is that guy that got $3 million up front then got sidelined for giving actual advice instead of kissing rear end and doing more crimes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still fully expected some completely unpredictable lone wolf nobody could have ever understood the motivations of popping off and murdering people. I guess we save that only for our kindergarten classes now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

smackfu posted:

Do they not track these super secret documents?

It was the Trump administration. Tracking was "gently caress you I don't want to".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For the law-dumb among us, what does August 14 mean? From context I'm gathering it's expected to take longer than that to actually get this show on the road. OK, federal cases are always slow but what are the details? Why is that considered fast, and why is Cannon doing it that way? Personally I want someone to call Trump on his bullshit tactic of bluster, bloviate, deny, and delay. It's his go-to defense in everything, "YEAH I DID THE CRIMING BUT gently caress YOU, JUSTICE DELAYED IS gently caress YOU EVEN MORE". So why is Cannon trying to pressure her wet, orange god?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Travic posted:

Oh. Ok. :smith: Thank you for answering my question. It sounds like she either waits until the jury is sworn in then dismisses or rules all the evidence in the case is inadmissible. I mean I get that she might show restraint, but...yeah.

Not a law-talker so someone may very well be able to correct me on this. I don't see her throwing the case in a blatant "GOD EMPEROR TRUMP IS INNOCENT" manner. My crystal ball scrying is that Cannon will make the case entirely irrelevant by dicking around with the trial and loving over the prosecution on every single last possible tiny little ridiculous bullshit ticky tacky thing she can to drag the process out for more years than Trump is likely to continue to be alive, and long past the next election. Filing bullshit motions and arguing over imaginary interpretations of everything is Trump's legal strategy. I can only see that getting exponentially more effective when the referee is in your pocket.

In the end he would not suffer the consequences he deserves and the judiciary system would get to maintain the absurd fig leaf of legitimacy that it desperately clings to while supreme court members get bribed and overturn Roe v. Wade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

raminasi posted:

How do you cross-examine someone who aimlessly, endlessly babbles like Trump? (I don't mean that rhetorically. I'm sure a good lawyer could - I just don't know anything about it.)

They kinda-sorta managed it in the Alex Jones trial. They asked direct, specific, yes-or-no-only questions and (generally) stuck to only those answers. Problem I see with this case is that in the Jones trial the judge was right there when objections were raised, willing to dick slap him, force him to shut the gently caress up, sit the gently caress down, answer the question that was asked and only the question that was asked. I can absolutely see the sycophantic chudge in this case working against the prosecution by not forcing that to happen so Trump can burp out his usual stream of verbal diarrhea instead of answering any questions.