Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is the meteor? Is this something mentioned in the Silmarillion? I don’t know all the lore like a lot of you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!

No time for Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

Light on the budding leaf, dew on the feather,

Skip ‘ol Tom, and the story is better!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How FORCEFUL you are, Glorfindel. Such a fine specimen of elf-hood.

So… masculine.

You must be awfully proood of him, Janet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e:

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 28, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e:

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 28, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Smeagol as a shopkeeper and tanner, who ekes out a meager living.

Until one day, when Everything Changes Forever

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For only two buttcoin in in-game purchase, you can activate the EAGLES! See if they can simply drop the Ring of Power into Orodruin!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The role is played by Summer Glau, in a shocking, unexpected return

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s incredible how many people here are proactively ready to hate this show, having not seen a single episode.

I guess I should be accustomed to it based on the Dragon House thread, and SA history in general, but I never can quite get used to it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think we should just give it a chance. If it sucks, it sucks. But we don’t know what it even is, yet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

9 PM ET.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was it ever said if Annatar was supposed to be a man? Or a Numenorian? Or elf?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Data Graham posted:

and Celebrimbor's whole thing about being super-clear and specific about the forge he wants to build but he has no idea what to build with it? C'mooon. What kind of weird fuckin engineer is that.

My Dad pointed out that it’s possible Celebrimbor has already met Annatar, and he’s convinced him they need this forge for the Rings

And we as the audience just haven’t seen Annatar yet

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I quite like the mythic quality of Galadriel swimming back across an ocean. These are supposed to be wise and fell and superhuman people; they should be doing things like that.

I just could somehow never get down with this idea. If elves can take down an oliphant single-handedly and also swim hundreds of miles through the open ocean, then it seems like a platoon-size unit of elves (~40) could probably wreck a battalion-size unit of orcs (~900)

Maybe it’s meant to be so. It’s been a long, long time since I read the Sil and when I did I was too young to understand a lot of it and also it bored me at the time.

I do remember there’s two stories of elf-lords killing balrogs though, and those guys are terrifying army-destroyers themselves, so maybe I should rethink my position here.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

I think you are spot on. Those elves, who were capable of such feats, were also extraordinary among their own kind. They compare to other elves like Aragorn would compare to common men. Also keep in mind that silly stuff, like Legolas braining an Oliphaunt, is exclusive to the movies.

Elves are not superheroes. They are a good chunk stronger, faster and more resilient than men, also they don't get sick, but they can still be struck down or die from exposure - the best example for that are the Noldor's significant losses during the crossing of the Helcaraxë -> https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Helcarax%C3%AB
There are even some among the first men, like Húrin, whose martial prowess could rival that of even some lesser elf lords. Leaping over mountains or swimming thousands of miles across the sea is not among their power.

The Balrog-slayers you were thinking of are Ecthelion of the Fountain and Glorfindel and both did not survive that fight, despite slaying their respective enemy.

The mightiest warrior among the Noldor was probably Fingolfin, he even lasted a few rounds against Morgoth and actually wounded him, before he was slain. But he was one of a kind. For example Fingon (his oldest son) was slain by Balrogs during the Dagor Bragollach, proving that taking on a Balrog is a heroic feat and not something that any elf lord can do.

Thanks for this post, it was very illuminating.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

they really went to town on portraying the Scots dwarfs as belligerent drunks ready to raise an axe.

I was under the impression this is exactly what they are

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A great Aragorn film-change and a huge hit against our Lord JRR Tolkien’s writing is that they decided not to have him carry around a broken sword that’s hilt and about 4” of blade.

Because it is a loving joke and is totally laughable

Did the “Tolkien Purists” complain about that one, too? I wasn’t Terminally Online back then.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

This was also a thing going back to Jackson's adaptation of the Lord of the Rings as well, they tried to make sure that there were no weak or passive women in the film trilogy either, despite there being so few women to begin with. They actually wrote and filmed a massive deviation from the source material where not only did the elves show up at Helm's Deep to offer help to everyone, but Arwen was a part of the force and there were whole massive sequences of here kicking the poo poo out of Uruk-hai alongside Aragorn. Still photos of it leaked online and the 00s internet versions of The Usual Suspects lost their poo poo over it, so they had to re-film basically Arwen's entire subplot in The Two Towers in late-stage filming and pick up shooting to give her a more true-to-the-books story to make the internet shitlords of the day shut up.

Liv Tyler recounts some of this in the Appendices DVD extras for The Two Towers, specifically how she herself was personally harassed by internet dickshits over it to the point where she had a nervous breakdown and nearly quit acting over it because she'd never seen a reaction quite like that before in her life.
I’ve been watching the extended editions for the first time with the commentaries on, and I am right up to the Helm’s Deep part, with the cast commentaries.

Can’t wait to hear how Liv, who is by all accounts a wonderful person, had to deal with all this poo poo.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

This was also a thing going back to Jackson's adaptation of the Lord of the Rings as well, they tried to make sure that there were no weak or passive women in the film trilogy either, despite there being so few women to begin with. They actually wrote and filmed a massive deviation from the source material where not only did the elves show up at Helm's Deep to offer help to everyone, but Arwen was a part of the force and there were whole massive sequences of here kicking the poo poo out of Uruk-hai alongside Aragorn. Still photos of it leaked online and the 00s internet versions of The Usual Suspects lost their poo poo over it, so they had to re-film basically Arwen's entire subplot in The Two Towers in late-stage filming and pick up shooting to give her a more true-to-the-books story to make the internet shitlords of the day shut up.

Liv Tyler recounts some of this in the Appendices DVD extras for The Two Towers, specifically how she herself was personally harassed by internet dickshits over it to the point where she had a nervous breakdown and nearly quit acting over it because she'd never seen a reaction quite like that before in her life.

edit: I thought I also remembered this but I have just watched all of TTT and it's not there. Liv Tyler does not speak at all in the last couple hours of the TTT commentary.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think it might even have been from an AICN interview, that I remember this.

It’s a fact that they were planning to have Arwen at Helm’s Deep, it’s undeniable. I remember “spy reports” talking about it at the time, there were some pics of it, and I remember the Purist backlash against it at the time, but I am finding no evidence of it at all on the TTT Blu-ray extras.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I said, it's somewhere on one of the two Appendices discs for The Two Towers extended edition.

Ok I’m dumb. You said twice, it’s on the appendices discs, not the commentary track. Duh.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Wasn’t there a mention in the book about Legolas walking on top of the snow when they were trying to go up Carhradras?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

So like, just how hard to read is The Silmarillion? This show (and this thread) has me watching YouTube videos of Tolkien lore, and I was wondering if I should finally give it a shot, after avoiding it for years. I've been told it's like reading the Bible. Super dense?

Quick note if it helps for the recommendation, I dislike the singing portions of the LOTR books. Just tend to skip right over them. From what I'm seeing, that, uh, comes up.

I can speak only for myself, and you’ll have others in the thread chime in too.

For me, I fell in love with The Hobbit at the age of 7 or so, and then with LotR at about the age of 11. I tried to read the Sil at maybe 16 or so, and it was a real slog. I trudged through it and did finish it, but for me it was a very difficult read.

It was the language, it was the format, it was very dense. It was a lot of things. I had my hard copy of the Sil for a long time and looked at parts of it when I was in my late 20s but never again read the whole thing.

I read everything on Kindle now, and I do think it would be a good Kindle buy because with that you can highlight and make notes and whatnot, so I could highlight important sections and events.

I need to buy it someday and do that, and try again to read it start to finish.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

For reference, though, I also generally skip the Rohan chapters when I reread LotR

Neither here nor there really, but I was curious what you don’t like about the Rohan chapters?

Not looking to start a shitfight or anything like that, simply curious.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah his pacing leaves a lot to be desired. For example in the movies, Frodo is loving off the very night that he learns what the Ring actually is. In the books Gandalf doesn't come back for 17 years, and then instead of fleeing the imminent danger, Frodo and Gandalf spend 2 months getting his affairs in order, and it's like almost six months before they get out of the shire. Just Zero urgency.

And immediately sends him to Bree to find a man he intends to be his guide/bodyguard, who carries in his scabbard a sword hilt with 4” of blade attached

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We gets to slink around Middle-Earth being a sneak-thief?

Doesn’t sound great to me, but different strokes and all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He throttles orcses, precious

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think it’s kind of cool to see the beginnings of Mordor, despite the corny bit about Sauron’s contingency plan.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He’s also a chronic pickpocket :)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is Adar mentioned in the Sil at all?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is Mount Doom supposed to be inactive at this point? Is that something Sauron causes to erupt through his great evil?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I didn’t notice this either!

https://twitter.com/cameronborgqeen/status/1569140876806606853?s=46&t=AfrM-6tgXdVlMJ-iDz5ZYA

e: let’s see if this works

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Mountain of Joy

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ain’t no man what can kill five balrogs :colbert:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Balrog deniers ITT

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I only learned today that Glaurung didn’t even have wings :aaa:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

drunkill posted:

and also very blurry balrog in the background of the battle scene in the episode 1 prologue flashback

Really? Was that in the scene where we see a dragon take down an eagle? I never noticed the balrog.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They are not for eating.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I cannot believe that this thread has devolved into essays about whether or not immortal elves will take jobs from dwarves that live ~180-200 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I remember those days well.

“The bastard Peter Jackson” was almost his official title amongst this crowd, months before the first film hit theaters.