Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Where do these fabled 505 Chili's usually live? The same aisle as tomato sauce/salsa/etc. or fridge? All the mentions of them in this thread make me want to try them, but I must keep walking by them and not noticing them each trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Tato posted:

sometimes I wonder why costco doesn't stock curry powder but I guess they can't compete with H-mart or indian groceries for price. they have everything else I need though, PBUC

They briefly had curry powder like 5 years ago, because I bought some and have literally never used it since none of the Indian food recipes I've used actually call for curry powder.

FWIW, I've essentially sworn off buying most spices at Costco. The sizes are just too large and they're stale by the time they're 1/4 gone. Nowdays I buy most of my spices from a grocery store with a bulk section. I can buy managable amounts and the prices are often hilariously cheap. ($0.15c of rosemary is like a year's supply for me)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

There's literally signs indicating the pumps pull out to either side of the car and LED signs showing when a spot at the front opens up, so I'm quite confident using either pump and moving up through the center is the official Costco preference.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

Not at my costco there aren't vOv

I think everyone likes it better this way here too, it seems more fair and less cutthroat

What's cutthroat about filling the next available spot instead of adding an extra few minutes to everyone's time?

Not saying I don't appreciate it when all three cars are synced up, which still happens pretty often here, but when some vehicles have huge tanks and other tiny tanks its just not going to happen.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Depends on when you bought it. Believe it's within 30 days for price mark downs.

The real kicker is: you can just return it and rebuy it at the cheaper price. Why Costco doesn't recognize that little exploit and just do the obvious, i'll never know.

Even better, buy another one and walk out the door and return it with the old receipt. It'll go right back on the shelf. If you don't have the physical receipt the app will show your old receipts now.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

Ain't no way that's accurate for the PNW. No one says pop here. And rightly so.

Lifelong Seattle resident and I think its changed over the years. Everyone said 'pop' when I was growing up, but 'soda' has become much more common now than then. I think we can all agree that 'coke' as a term for any carbonated soda is absolutely the worst though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

redreader posted:

How is the wine advent calendar? Any good?

Terrible.

FilthyImp posted:

We got one last year and it was the most piss-poor sub-2-buck-chuck vinegar tasting poo poo ever.

This exactly. I've bought many cases of mediocre $3/bottle wine at Costco and every single advent wine was worse than all of them. Significantly worse.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

the 32 degree base layer is about what i expected for the price. I wouldn’t want to rely on the 32degree bases if i was on the trail or exposed to properly sub-freezing temps. Better than nothing, but merino base layers are truly exceptional. The problem is that smartwool is not priced competitively with costco; it’s like $150 for a set of the midrange.

I've worn the 32Degrees base layers on backpacking trips where its dipped below freezing. Obviously merino would've been better (but also heavier and many times more expensive), but they got the job done. I got some of their "heavyweight" base layers off their site last year and those are really fantastic, but it looks like they only have the top so far this year.

large hands posted:

They have the 100% Merino base layer parts for around $40 Canadian here, cloud veil brand I believe. And the merino blend pieces are around $20.

Super annoyed this is only in Canada. We only have socks and some mediocre hats for Merino clothing in the states.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Called Lowe’s and they were like “sorry the return window is 48 hours contact the mfg for warranty support”

"The thing we sold you is leaking explosive gas, but you're outside a return window" is a pretty loving bold move. Did you talk to anyone in management? Installing appliances in places being remodeled where they won't be immediately used is not exactly a rare occurrence for a place like Lowes. I would agree that a chargeback is appropriate if you can't get some action on it from them.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Did anyone really think they made a loss selling a freakin’ hot dog?

They sell the bulk packages for something like $16/14 according to the Business Center website and they presumably make some profit on that. The bun, soda and condiments could easily be under $0.50 at scale, so maybe you're talking $1 per dog straight food cost. The labor is where they probably start losing money. If you assume you need ~4 employees to run the food court and they cost you $25/hour (wages + benefits + etc.) your labor is $100/hour. You'd have to sell 200 dogs an hour, every hour, just to break even, which they're not doing.

Obviously there's other food there as well, likely with a a little more room for profit, but I imagine the whole food court is a loss-leader most of the time. I think there's a reason the food's they try out occasionally are typically much more expensive. One of my local stores has started selling a roast beef sandwich that costs $10.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Smoking a brisket as thefirst thing you ever smoke is very ambitious.

A pork butt is way more forgiving and is what most people cut their teeth on. Pork butt, ribs. Less expensive cuts of meat. A 80 dollar brisket is an expensive way to learn, not to mention time consuming as it can take 12-14+ hours to smoke a brisket.

^^ RIGHT!

skipdogg posted:

Hot take: I’m a Texan and brisket is way overrated.

^^ WRONG!

Renegret posted:

And lucky for you, Costco sells pork butts in 2 packs, and super cheap!

I can almost always get pork butts cheaper at grocery stores or restaurant supply stores and you're not stuck buying 20lbs of meat. Costco here is typically $2/lb, while grocery stores are often $1.50 and I've paid as low as $0.88/lb before. Costco here sells "boneless", so there is some weight factor there, but I honestly prefer bone-in since they really mangle the meat getting the bone out. Once its properly cooked the bone will slide out with no issue so its not really an annoyance.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Ayndin posted:

Also got plenty of the simply protein bars while they’re $6 off so there will be much farting in my future, to test the purifiers.

That reminds me, is there a consensus on the best protein bars at Costco? I know I've seen more than one discussion on this topic saying "x are inedible" and "y are great", but can't recall any specifics.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Psion posted:

third party companies have an agreement with Costco that seems to be 'discount (probably) in exchange for you giving up name/data about your purchasing habits' so, yknow, they're making that money back on you somehow

It seems to require you to sign in with your costco account to even see the deals, so I haven't. Perhaps I am missing out on all these great deals???

https://costconext.com/about/

Actually, in the tradition of Costco failing at websites, logging in to Costco.com won't allow you to see the CostcoNext.com deals. You have to type in your member number, first name and last name.

My read from looking through the website is that it's a side deal they give Costco members as part of them getting a few products in physical stores. The deals on brands I'm familiar with were negligible.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

pencilhands posted:

Serious question: why did costco ruin the food court? Does it actually save SO MUCH money that it’s worth loving with their reputation?

By making the food court a quasi loss-leader they're incentivized to reduce cost as much as possible. If they sell 5% less pizza or hot dogs, but it actually saves you a little money then everyone up the corporate chain is happy. Lots of customers grumble about it, but did they lose any memberships over it? Probably not.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

I saw a man check out yesterday with an entire case of Kirkland merino wool socks PBUC

They're clearing them out for $6.97 at my location. For that price you could probably sell them for a big profit on ebay.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Taima posted:

We have a business center in Seattle too but I've never been. What's worthwhile there? What else is worthwhile there for non-businesses?

You can browse through inventory on their website.

If you're in the area its worth walking through at least once. They tend to have a lot of random stuff that I find useful when I walk through. Since they're targeting businesses pricing tends to be much more aggressive than consumer stores, including normal Costco. For example, I used to buy a lot of port spare ribs. At regular Costco they were $2.99/lb and at Business Costco the exact same package used to be ~$1.75/lb (post pandemic its gone up to just over $2/lb).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

pentyne posted:

Is that inventory accurate? The normal costco store website is dogshit for trying to find in stock items.

From a quick check I will say that getting the 2 pack of Tramontina nonstick skillets for $22 is an insane deal and literally better then any comparable option for getting skillets, including trying to find a decent one from a thrift store since they are usually $10 or more now.

Since the website is used for businesses to order stuff for delivery, I assume its pretty accurate. Unlike standard Costco it seems like their inventory doesn't change much so you're not going to end up with many seasonal items that sell out in a few days or weeks.

My post earlier made me want to stop by there and since I needed gas anyway I hit it on the way home. I had suspected the prices on the website were marked up for delivery and I confirmed that was indeed the case. Not a ton, but stuff in store was 5-10% cheaper then the website lists it as. Weirdest find was 3lbs of bananas for $0.99. They're like $1.75 at normal Costco which already seems pretty cheap, so $0.99 seemed bonkers.

They sell some hilarious quantities of stuff and its almost worth checking out just for the spectacle.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

I picked up the Kirkland Signature™ a few months ago when it was on sale and I am very happy with it. Way better than the Tuft & Needle that I had before.

I have a KS mattress from maybe 5 years ago. It's..fine? The big issue is that you can't even try them out before buying them so you have to hope you like the firmness, etc. There's always the return option, but that's also not very appealing.

About 15 years ago there were a couple of Costco furniture stores, which were really useful since you could try out multiple mattresses. There overall selection was a bit weird though (targeted at faux-rich is the best way I can describe it) and they shut down.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Defenistrator posted:

Saw a lady return a bag of milk. They come in packs of 3. Costco took it back, wtf.

Another lady returned a half eaten cake and got a full refund.

Is this normal????????

Could theoretically be quality issues. I rarely return food stuff, but I've had several few times where stuff spoils way before the marked date or has something obviously wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Joburg posted:

I bought the Milton’s cauliflower crust pizza and it was garlicky but also bland. I added salt but that didn’t fix it. Anyone have any great ideas on how to improve it?

I add pepperoni and some extra cheese to the vegetarian ones, which improves it a lot. Pepper flakes as well.