Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
On the subject of Earn Income; how should task levels and DCs be set for a given task?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I had an idea that I'm really liking, about making a gnoll fighter who addresses combat by just fuckin' biting everything, leaving both hands available for a shield or another item, because the idea of just biting an earth elemental or something to death is hilarious to me.

I'd be building with Crunch and Snagging Strike, and aimlng to get Handwraps of Mighty Blows to keep the build viable; what other fighter feats would be good to support this? Shield feats are fine, but I'd also be looking for more feats that support open-handed combat.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
How far out are we from the remaster text being released properly? I'd like to have the updated terminology handy so my prospective players/GMs and I don't get confused by the changeover.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
A friend of mine has decided to try running a PF2e campaign for my friend group. He's picked up Foundry as well, which is exciting; does anyone have a good list of useful plugins that he'll want to use to run 2e?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

SpaceCommie posted:

Raw PF2e works really well on Foundry, and it might be worth learning to use it with as little module bloat first and then look for modules to solve specific issues that arise (I didn't do this and currently have about 70-80 modules active at all times and I'm slowly trying to refine them down!)

That said my players like Combat Carousel Tracker which adds a combat tracker to the top of the screen. Make sure it's the v11 version by ripper93 not the old defunct version.

Dice so nice gives you 3d rolling dice and dice tray gives you a nice little dice roll calculator by the chat box.

Token Action HUD (there are also old and new versions of this. For the V11 version I think you need both the core and PF2e modules) which adds a quick bar for taking actions. It's decent for players but I find it indispensable as a DM, I don't need to have several character sheets open for all the enemies in a fight, just select the token.

Jb2a and Automated Animations, adds a bunch of cool effects for attacks etc ... (the free version gives you a good amount of animations, but the patron is very good too)

PF2e drag ruler shows you how far you've dragged your token.

PF2e workbench is neat for a few little automation tweaks, but I don't need to use it for much.

Module management+ is good for setting module presets etc ...

Whilst expensive, the Paizo bestiary token set is well worth the money and gives you beautiful tokens for a lot of the creatures.

Most important as you start down the modules route is Find The Culprit which will systematically try to determine which module is causing a specific issue.

EDIT:

I always forget Modifiers Matter, but it's great for teaching people how important that minus 1 from their demoralise action was.

These short writeups are exactly what I was hoping for, thanks so much! I went ahead and forwarded Combat Carousel Tracker, Token Action HUD, Drag Ruler, and Modifiers Matter to my DM. I'm going to hold off on Dice So Nice because one of our players doesn't have access to their gaming PC for this week's upcoming sesion.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I'm finally going to be playing in my first PF2e game tomorrow night/technically tonight since it's past midnight. I decided to build a tanky lizardfolk fiighter since my three fellow players are a sorceror, an inventor, and a barbarian. I'm starting off with a pick, a steel shield, chainmail, and the Reactive Shield feat (I was between that and Sudden Charge); I hope that's a good start!

Does anyone have any play tips?

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 14, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
The first session was pretty neat. I ended up being the party's medic between combats, and our barbarian almost died but was saved by a healing consumable at dying 3. I also was able to be a spotter for our inventor, who got to snipe an ooze before combat.

There were some Foundry hiccups, like basic actions and activities not already being on our character sheets, and first-time jitters resulting from things like this (nobody's going to know about Activities if they're not on the sheets), but everyone seemed to have a pretty good time. Sudden Charge paid off quite a bit.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 15, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The first session was pretty neat. I ended up being the party's medic between combats, and our barbarian almost died but was saved by a healing consumable at dying 3. I also was able to be a spotter for our inventor, who got to snipe an ooze before combat.

There were some Foundry hiccups, like basic actions and activities not already being on our character sheets, and first-time jitters resulting from things like this (nobody's going to know about Activities if they're not on the sheets), but everyone seemed to have a pretty good time. Sudden Charge paid off quite a bit.

Our GM has proposed having a low investment GMPC to act as a healbot for lower levels. Given how badly we've been getting banged up, this might not be a bad idea.

Any idea how I can help my fellow PCs with tactics?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Thanks for the tips! Our sorceror has asked me for help with her spell list; any suggestions for good low-ranked occult spells?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Sorry to post in here begging for help again, but I could use some advice, because our party is having trouble with healing, especially after and between fights.

I decided to spec my fighter into medicine so our party could have a healer, but I keep having trouble hitting the DC15 check to recover HP, and it's slowing down the party. There were a few times we didn't go into fights at full HP, and our barbarian came within a hair's breadth of dying after one of the fights because he went down, and we kept rolling badly on the Administer First Aid and Recovery rolls. Thankfully, despite forgetting Hero Points existed, we had picked up an elixir of life not long before the fight where the barbarian went down, and we used that to save him.

We're still level 1; I want to get Battle Medicine and use my free archetype to get Medic Dedication, but is there anything I can do at this level to keep my party alive? The GM proposed adding a GMPC to handle healing "so you aren't forced to spec into healing", but I dunno how I feel about that...

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Cyouni posted:

What's your party comp? At level 1, odds are you don't have much choice and are at the whims of dice to hit that DC15 plus whatever your mod is (+7 maybe). If you grab Continual Recovery, you can probably take off a little of the failure risk.

Also, at that level, depending on party things, your best way to help people not die is likely to apply damage in appropriate places.

Shield fighter (me), elemental barbarian, hag sorcerer, and gun-toting inventor.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Froghammer posted:

Echoing this. Raw Medicine checks are rough at 1st level, but once Medic Dedication and subsequent feats come online (Doctor's Visitation is great) you'll start sailing past that DC 15. The Sorcerer can start throwing around Soothes to take the pressure off as well, once spell slots stop being so precious.

Honestly the bigger problem is Medic plus sword and board; Medicine checks require a free hand and constantly stowing / dropping to get off a clutch heal mid-combat will start to eat into your action economy. Keeping that hand free and spamming Glass Shield via Bone Magic might be the way to go in the long run. Better yet, you could also switch to a versatile 1/2 hander like bastard sword, gada, or katana and only drop to 1 hand (which is a free action) when you need to.

There isn't another healer in the party (yet, we're at level 1), unfortunately, and I'm kinda pulling double duty as the tank and medic. :sigh:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Scoss posted:

Do I find some clever way to train them that extra spells per day at level 2 when they only have two or three slots to begin with might be very strong? Do I just not bother handing out consumables as rewards anymore because they don't seem to care?

Maybe a "learn by doing" approach is in order here. Give the enemies consumables and have them use them, and see what your party thinks.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I'd like to get our party scrolls and potions, come to think of it. We each got 4 gold for the ooze errand, and I'm wondering if, between the four of us, there'd be a really good way to spend it.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 22, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Welp, second session, I'm still the fighter, and I just got pulped for 28 damage by a statue critting me on a nat 20. This kinda sucks. :(

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Are you running an adventure path or do you have a 5e DM throwing random poo poo at you because that works in 5e and they didn't read up on the game?

It's all of our first time doing 2e. The statue was by itself, and the DM told us that the calculator said it was a moderate threat encounter. I don't think our DM had DMed 5e before, actually.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Andrast posted:

a level 3 animated statue can crit for 28 damage if it rolls for max damage

That is exactly what happened. 28 damage and my max HP was 20.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 29, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I mean you didn't die though right? Early levels you get knocked out in combat fairly often.

The other, squishier party members got crit and pasted within a couple of turns because we have no combat healing and terrible dice luck. We had to redo the combat because of it.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 29, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
The session last night ended up with us being sold out by our present employer and our part, getting mostly oneshot into unconsciousness by a group of guards way above our level, then tossed into a cell - it was dragged out far longer than it should have been by one player getting lucky with being missed (who lost their enthusiasm for play anyway, when it became apparent the battle was intended to be unwinnable) and another player getting lucky with the incoming damage rolls and having the guards chase them. I had to whisper nudges to the GM a few times to draw a veil over the scene, because the former player was getting really upset and two of our characters were already unconscious.

:sigh: This could be going better.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
As an aside, one of our party members had a critical failure at Earning Income with Crafting during the pre-adventure downtime last session. And I gotta agree with them - the penalty for critical failure, RAW, seems pretty loving harsh for an unlucky roll in an attempt to engage with the game mechanics. Like - "You get fired and your reputation suffers and you have a hard time finding jobs in the future"? All that for a bad roll of the dice? Cripes.

E: and before you mention Experienced Professional, we're level 1 and it only affects Lore.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 30, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Our session this last Thursday night, a couple nights ago, went much better than our last session.

One of the guards who was present at our capture last week came to deliver us some supplies - some daggers, a set of thieves' tools, and a note saying to meet someone. Our inventor jimmied the lock without issue, and our sorcerer came up with the brilliant idea to use Illusory Disguise to disguise herself as a guard, pretending to do a prisoner transfer. As we were leaving the cell block, we also sprung a drunkard from his cell, whom we dubbed "Guinness" due to him being so goddamn drunk that he'd forgotten his name.

The ruse was incredibly successful thanks to a string of high rolls and cautious movement; we were noticed a few times, but the Sorcerer fast-talked her way out of just about every situation with chat about nepo babies and a guards' union, and consistently high rolls.

Our luck held out all the way up to the entrance of the jail, where the deception finally failed against the head jailer (nat 2s - twice, after a hero point!) and we had to fight our way past him. Amusingly, the DM had originally intended for us to fight our way out from the start and get better weapons along the way, so we were stuck with daggers - or at least we all would have been, but two of us happened to have natural weapons. We also had an unexpected advantage in Guinness taking the beer we'd offered him as part of the cooperation agreement and flying into a Drunken Rage - between the five of us, despite taking some heavy hits, we were able to clobber the jailer into unconsciousness, and we tied him up and gagged him with a bar of soap. ...As a prank, before we left, we left a note saying that he was doing special ascetic training and not to disturb him for any reason. He was beating prisoners, so I can't say I feel too badly about it.

With our group having escaped jail, Guinness parted from the group to go get his drink on again, and the rest of us headed back to the inn we'd started at to make contact with the person mentioned in the note - surprisingly, we ended up in a meeting with the guard captain (Captain Sabine Hayton) who had been sent to apprehend us by the rich betrayer jackass from the previous session (Barnaby Babbington, of the Babbington Boys!), as well as the guard who'd slipped us the escape kit, who revealed herself as a changeling, who'd adopted the name "The Boys" from her experiences with her adoptive mother, Captain Hayton.

Captain Hayton gave us back our original weapons, and has offered us a mission to break into Lord Babbington's (Barnaby Babbington, of the Babbington Boys!?) estate and rescue some prisoners he's holding. That's probably what we're going to prep for and do next session, and I'm quite excited.

e: we also finally hit level 2 after our jailbreak!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Fuuuck, I had a fun character concept for a thaumaturge but they don't fit into the party in my current campaign. I really want to play one.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just do it anyway. If anyone complains throw trash at them.

Oh no, thematically they're fine. Party-comp wise, I'd be abandoning the closest thing we have to a Defender to instead play a Face/Support.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Could you take one or two defender oriented implements?

What levels are you running? I have a Thaumaturge in my party who spent a general feat for heavy armor, which will be plenty tanky until level 11.

Whip + weapon implement has been really effective at locking down targets. He still has a regalia, scroll thaumaturgy, and insane social skills, so he also provides versatile support.

Level 2, currently. Any thoughts/advice for building?

e: I've seen Scroll Thaumaturgy and it looks fantastic - would love to try it tbh.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 22, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I'm currently working on building a level 2 Thaumaturge and trying to decide what to use as the first implement. My basic concept for this character is that she's a princess from some small, minor kingdom who really wants to get out of her sheltered life and be an adventurer, and as such, picks hopefully-unlikely-to-be-missed bits and bobs from the the royal treasury and uses her education and the stories she's read about to become a Thaumaturge.

So far I basically have:

Human Ancestry (Versatile Heritage -> Toughness, Natural Ambition -> Diverse Lore)
STR 16, DEX 12, CON 12, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 18
Lv1 Class Feat: Scroll Thaumaturgy
Lv1 First Implement: (up in the air - currently between the Amulet, Mirror, Regalia, and Weapon (whip, maybe?). Chalice is also on the table.)
Lv2 Class Feat: Talisman Esoterica
Lv2 Free Archetype: Sentinel Dedication (yay, heavy armor!)
Lv2 Skill Feat: Bon Mot

Unless I'm mistaken - with the weapon, if I successfully bon mot an enemy, and they try to retort, I can strike them as a reaction since the retort requires them to Concentrate, yeah? Seems like it could be a pretty good combination. The other implements seem really good as well, though, and I'm not, like.... extremely locked in on the whip.

I'm open to suggestions for the build.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

Regalia or Weapon are probably the right calls here. Mirror is incredible but mainly comes into its own at level 5. Amulet makes you more of a defender, but that doesn’t seem to be how you’re looking to play. Chalice is underwhelming in my experience.

Weapon is basically Better (sometimes. Sometimes worse) AoO. If you want to show up the fighter, it’s the right call. Regalia is incredible if your party doesn’t have a bard - it’s going to make everyone better - and it’s just so extremely on theme for the character you’re building that I’d have a hard time passing it up personally.

I think I might start with the Weapon, and pick Regalia up at level 5... or should I do it the other way around? Argh, choices.

e:

Magil Zeal posted:

One suggestion I'd make is consider Champion archetype as opposed to Sentinel; you have the Charisma for it and you still get the heavy armor. And spending free archetype feats to get Lay on Hands and Champion's Reaction is superb.

Does this mean I have to follow edicts and anathema?

e again: also, it was pointed out that Champion dedication would have my heavy armor proficiency fall off at higher levels - it gets trained at 2 and expert at 14, and that's it.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 25, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

You do "have" to; I don't know how closely that would match your character concept. Mechanically it's a bit vague what happens if you violate them as an archetype, presumably it's the same as the base Champion, which is just loss of focus points and Divine Ally (you could take Champion's Resiliency instead of Lay on Hands if you were concerned about a violation). So you keep heavy armor. With that said I don't know many GMs that are overly harsh on edicts and anathema, they're more for flavor than trying to gotcha a player.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's true for Sentinel as well though? Sentinel can in theory get it 1 level earlier and without an extra feat, but it doesn't give you master.

Hmm. Would my thaum be better staying in medium armor and taking advantage of the archetype's specific features instead? That leaves me with Champion still, and I've also been suggested Marshal as an archetype.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

While it is true that Regalia Thaumaturges are good at marshal stuff, I don't agree that Marshal adds much to them. You are already extremely action starved and are already providing the rarer status bonus from the intimidation aura. I'd rather take rogue for sneak attack and skill mastery if you wanted to maximize social skills.

I've had two players try Marshal. They both retrained out of it. The Thaumaturge hasn't considered it, but he also doesn't have any superfluous actions. He picked up psychic multiclass for the single action warp step focus spell to help with positioning.

Sentinel gets some really great defensive feats if you are worried about being tanky.

That still leaves me with Champion for the reaction and Lay On Hands, which would be excellent support.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Have we heard anything about what the remaster is doing for the Alchemist yet?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Playing PF2e has got me thinking about running a campaign for some other friends. I've got Foundry and just updated from version 0.8 to the current version; anyone know how I should be setting this up? I'm waffling between running an existing adventure path or trying to make something up.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Jon posted:

The AP integration in Foundry is unreal. Check out the Kingmaker module.

Doesn't that one in particular cost like $100?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
So our original content campaign wrapped up a bit early on Thursday, owing to the fact that making up a campaign is hard. Our GM has proposed starting up again with an adventure path this time, and has put forth Outlaws of Alkenstar, Abomination Vaults, Blood Lords, and Gatewalkers. How good are these as APs?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Piell posted:

AP talk

Cool, thanks for the summaries.

I've also read about Strength of Thousands - how is it compared to the paths already listed?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
It looks like we're going with Outlaws of Alkenstar, so I gotta prepare some character concepts.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Back alley doctor forensic medicine ivestigstor

Funny you say that. That was the very first character concept I ever had, but I decided to shelve it. Maybe it's time for me to bring it back?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

Throw on a gunslinger (or unexpected sharpshooter or any other firearms archetype that gives you one) for access to an efficient reload action, and become King Critfisher.

I was going to start with Medic Dedication as my choice of FA and lean into the "doctor" thing with a repeating crossbow, is getting a gun that worth it? I don't think Unexpected Sharpshooter gives firearm proficiency by itself...

e: Repeating crossbows are advanced weapons, so they're out for me.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 10, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

If you don’t want to do a firearm, I’d forego ranged weapons entirely and just grab an interesting/flavorful melee option to be honest, and lean harder on Medic.

Wouldn't I need more STR for a melee weapon, then? I'm already leaning into INT because Investigator and WIS because Medicine and DEX because AC... I'm really not sure my Forensic Medicine Investigator is going to want to be in melee. Is Unexpected Sharpshooter that good to take before Medic?

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 10, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't know when investigators get access to critical specialization options but having weapons that you can know you are going to apply a good crit spec effect with is the approach I would take to investigator besides trying to work spell strike in somehow.

They do not get access to critical specialization, as far as I can tell.

How often will I be able to get out of melee if I engage, is the question? Investigator is not exactly the tankiest class.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 10, 2023

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I wonder if there's a Feat like "you've spent enough time with this weapon that your nerdy Investigative rear end now knows how to use it and only it's crit specialization." That would make sense for an Investigator I think.

Well attacks of opportunity are relatively rare and you'd usually be able to spot enemies with them because they would be higher level and something like "professional mercenaries" or "elite guards."

The rest is both using multiple Move actions-- I find a lot of players really hate to "waste" a round without "doing something" but that's not always good in PF2e-- as well as cover on the map and of course, have your allies back you up. If an Investigator is standing alone in combat against wizard or large monsters and the Champion/Fighter/Witch isn't thinking about how to watch your back at least a little then you have poo poo teammates.

The problem I have here is action economy. Devising a Stratagem, moving in, Striking, and moving out is four actions if the enemy isn't the subject of a Lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

melee talk

Again, the problem I have with being a melee investigator is that the action tax from DaS if my target isn't a Pursued Lead means that I have to spend 1 action to DaS, 1 action to move in, and 1 to strike - and that still leaves me right in melee where an enemy can take 3 swings at me if they want. My investigator is likely to be kinda squishy and have ok, but not incredible AC.