Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't know what level you are but spellcasters really want a magical staff and a Shadow Signet.

Based on previous posts, 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I've seen the Abomination Vaults and Outlaws of Alkenstar ones, and they're both very good.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Casters also can't use spells to invalidate skills. See Pass Without Trace and Knock, for instance.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Circumstance bonuses aren't that common. Usually it's if they're already getting a bonus from another feat they have.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Here's the only buff you need to add to the final enemy of the Beginner's Box: play it a little more decently.

Part of its evaluated threat is the fact that it's written into its statblock to play it badly. Hit everyone with the breath weapon properly once and it's honestly even. Roll well on the recharge and hit them properly twice? That might even TPK.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I'd argue that a target is only potentially subject to the Cling reaction if they've taken damage. If a rogue evasions out of the way of all the ticks, there's nothing for them to cling to there.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

jiffypop45 posted:

My sorcerer casts slow. They are slowed 1. They have one less action. My sorcerer casts slow again. Do they have 2 less actions now?

Assuming they failed both saves, they are slowed 1 for 1 minute, and slowed 1 for 1 minute.

Conditions never stack unless otherwise specified (there are things that specifically stack enfeebled - shadows - or drained - vampires).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Vanguard Warden posted:

Just raw swinging a hammer or flail that automatically inflicts prone on crit is still going to be a better bet most of the time, though. Even a -10 MAP strike could still roll a nat 20.

Nah, this is definitely not true, especially if you're targeting the right save - my favourite example will still always be guaranteed trip on the level 7 elephant as a level 7 master. You can guarantee success quite a bit through smart Assurance use, and if you can't you were probably not hitting with a -10 anyways.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Toshimo posted:

Only if you Enlarge yourself first (which is likely metagaming).

Titan Wrestler, which is very necessary if you plan on doing any combat maneuvers.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Midig posted:

Is the layout and editing of the book as bad as people suggest it is?

Example video here where it is talked about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v7iM6DOcIg&t=610s

So the CRB organization is built to be read, not to find information. It's not great for finding things, I'd say. That said...

Ignore literally everything that guy says about the game.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Midig posted:

I mean, he has apparantly played both systems for a while, so some elaboration would be nice. Its not like the guy favors DnD 5th anyhow.

In addition to the other things mentioned, he certainly does favour 5e...after he noted it made him more money, so he made a clickbait video bashing PF2 in favour of 5e. That particular video was so distorted, players from the game he was describing even came out to say "wait, that didn't happen". And that's before we get into the actual gameplay descriptions.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

From the clip it just sounds like he hasn't actually played Pathfinder at all.

Like the weird thing about the index being bad is kinda bizarre. It sounds like he was looking for "making income" but strangely looked up the Crafting skill instead? Of course you won't be able to find something if you look up the wrong thing that's how an index works.

I may be operating in a bit of bad faith here, but he works in sales/marketing as a day job, and it really shows in how he approaches videos.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's been pretty good so far, sitting in the second part.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Vanguard Warden posted:

Whenever someone mentions a melee warlock, I always feel inclined to mention the Soulforger archetype which gives you a bonded weapon (or shield or armor) you can manifest out of thin air, and once per day you can grant the item a spooky power of your choice for the whole fight when you summon it. There's no spectral entity popping up with your attacks beyond strong reflavoring (that would certainly be a good fit for the essence power that inflicts negative damage on hit), but classes like the Summoner that actually give you a bonded entity of some sort makes you more of a full support spellcaster for your summon rather than the summon being an accessory to your own actions. You can always pick up some support spells and stuff from archetypes, but archetypes will never actually raise your level of proficiency with weapons or armor beyond extending your existing level of proficiency across more groups, so you really need to be a martial class to be decent at martial fighting.

Animal companions and undead companions can be acquired through archetypes alone, so you could play as a full martial character like a Magus or something and still have a ghost via Undead Master following you around to flank with you, slap people for negative damage, or literally spook people when you hit them via its Support action.

I'm mildly curious to see how a Thaumaturge with Summoner Dedication would feel.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Epi Lepi posted:

The intent is clear. You're being, as I said, deliberately obtuse. You have a real argument about the armor, stick with that.

The intent is actually only semi-clear, because master spellcasting benefits usually only include 8th level, whereas the archetype goes up to 9th.

There's a solid argument that it should be akin to Captivator, which also gets 9th level spells, that it's supposed to be an innate slot, but the archetype itself specifies that it's spontaneous.

(I'd assume the armour is either 1 or 10 min duration since that's pretty standard, but that's the difference between being able to precast it or not.)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Harold Fjord posted:

How overpowered is it as an indefinite effect compared to other specialized "make me less squishy" powers?

Rules as written it's a feat where you put on magic armor and can't put it on again until tomorrow, if removed

As an indefinite effect? I'd probably look at Hellknight for comparison. That takes a level 6 feat for armour specialization (for 4-6 resistance to one of the three), a level 4 feat for another (equal to the number of Hellknight feats you have, so you'd need at least 7 to equal).

This is a level 14 feat for resistance 7 to all physical (scaling to 10), plus you auto-dazzle anything that attacks you if they fail the save. I don't even have a comparison for the last one because that's only ever on short term things.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Signature spells are absolutely not part of a repertoire. If you get spells via sorcerer archetype, you do not get signature spells. Similarly, if you're an alchemist archetype, you do not get Quick Alchemy unless you explicitly pick it up.

If you gain benefits, Pathfinder says so, for instance: "You gain the expert bounded spellcasting benefits."

quote:

The ability that gives you an innate spell tells you how often you can cast it—usually once per day—and its magical tradition.

Innate spells do default to once per day.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 7, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Harold Fjord posted:

:wrong: Though I should have specified it occurs at basic level, not dedication.

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=170
" and if you have a spell repertoire, you can select one spell from your repertoire as a signature spell"

While true, that's absolutely a different thing. Note that's a significantly more limited version of signature spells, where you get one per feat.

Signature spells are not part of a repertoire. You get some level of signature spells with the spellcasting archetypes, but that doesn't mean that all repertoires have signature spells. For instance, a sorcerer with halcyon spells has a repertoire but explicitly no signature.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Please point to the general rule that says getting a repertoire means getting signature spells.

Basic spellcasting benefits is specific, because it specifies that you get this extra bonus at certain levels, whereas that's not normally the case.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

How does melee reach work against enemies that are flying / otherwise vertically higher than the party? Lets say I have some enemies that are 8' up in the air, how would that work in practice?

I'd still operate via vertical cubes and measure from there. So you'd be picking either the 5' high cube or the 10' high cube.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

XP is good to give your players a concrete sense of where they are in a level. If your players are getting the poo poo kicked out of them by enemies, but they're really close to the next level, Milestone doesn't do anything for that whereas XP does.

Remember you can also give XP for story reasons (avoiding fights, etc) or for "story" reasons (gently caress it just level).

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

What’s the average power level of a level 20 PF2 character compared to 5e? I always understood 5E to be demigod nonsense at those levels and 2E definitely gets powerful but not cosmic entity level? Seems appropriately heroic.

So part of it is difficult to compare. If you grab a level 20 5e martial, they're going to be good, but they're still significantly vulnerable to just dying to enough random peasant archers. This is somewhat true of any 5e character or monster.

In PF2, this is completely impossible. If you consider a standard level 1 archer to have +7 attack (which is the attack of a level 1 Guard NPC), even a level 20 wizard can have more than 38 AC, meaning they literally cannot be hit by that level 1 archer, even if they roll a 20. That said, a level 15+ PF2 character can do things like yell at people and make them drop dead (Scare to Death), cause earthquakes by stamping their feet (barbarian level 18 feat), basically huck fireballs with every throw (Mega Bomb), turn into a Super Saiyan (Ki Form), drop from literally any height and take no damage (Cat Fall), etc.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I think any PF2 sheet that prints out spells like that would be overwhelmed by any middle level. A 9th-level 5e wizard might have 13 spells prepped, while a 9th-level PF2 wizard could have 19, if they don't have a spellcasting multiclass. If they do, I think that goes up to 23 (not counting cantrips).

I think the peak is at 20th level with 38 from main class, 14 from archetype, and maybe 10 from another archetype.

And that's putting aside any different actions they know, which Pathbuilder does print.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What is the opinion of allowing a first level Gnome Ranger to use their Ancestry Feat to get Animal Companion (Ranger) rather than a Familiar (Animal Accomplice)?

I feel it's a bit too powerful because they used their Class Feat for Crossbow Ace. Although they took a Heavy Crossbow so Reload 2 + choose to command the animal or shoot is gonna suck. I don't know. What do you guys think?

(I'm asking because a player did not understand the difference between a Familiar and an Animal Companion, which is honestly totally understandable).

So I personally would not allow it, mainly because it kinda does weird things with mixing Ancestry and Class feats in ways that could get confusing as future Ranger feats build on it.

Also humans on the whole are kinda bad as an ancestry, so them getting Natural Ambition is whatever.

That said, it's not going to break the game or anything, so w/e.

Vire posted:

Sorry still pretty new if I am reading repeating heavy crossbow correctly you still have a 1 reload action on every time you fire and then after 5 times you would need to use 3 actions to change mags? So if you where using a regular heavy crossbow it would take 10 actions to reload 5 shots versus this taking 8? Yikes... Is the point of this just to fire one volley then drop it?

I guess they figure the balance is that it is a martial weapon instead of advanced?

It's actually simple proficiency is why. But yes, you don't really want to use it as a primary weapon.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Vire posted:

Yes sorry I wasn't clear I was referring to the repeating version. But yeah seems like you should only take a crossbow if you are a caster with simple proficiency with strength as your dump stat and want a ranged weapon.

Ah, yeah. It's mainly that you can easily stack it using things like Crossbow Ace to get up to a d12 weapon at all ranges for 5 shots. You can also use things like Precision on Ranger and stuff like Penetrating Shot to take full advantage of the limited shots, but you'll definitely want a plan for after that. I've been playing a Sniper Gunslinger with an Arquebus, and the repeating heavy can hit close to the higher ranges of its damage consistently (since you're not relying on fatal) at the full range you can accept.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Because conditions that lower a target's AC like flat-footed or frightened usually last for entire rounds at a time, as well as how high base Strike damage can get from Weapon Specialization and striking/property runes, you're always going to see the most damage output from making as many Strikes as possible with as high of an attack bonus plus AC penalty net as you can. I've always loved the idea of huge one-shot-kill sniper characters, but in PF2 even the most optimized version of that will land somewhere around half the output of a hasted character with a flourish action just spamming four or five Strikes while also having less flexibility.

I'm pretty sure my memory tells me that this is only the case when you start getting into the 4th attack from flurry ranger, and that can easily run into problems like cover.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

You certainly can make an effective 14 Cha bard - people made weirder things like 10 Dex monk (before Mountain Stance) and 10 Wis cleric - it just takes a level of tactical understanding that I'm not sure he has. At absolute worst, by level 6 you can Harmonize IC and Dirge, and that's not awful.

That said, he'll probably want to stay away from debuffs and anything that actually requires Performance checks, and stay buff-focused.

What's he actually getting from putting the two stat boosts elsewhere, anyways? Is there something he needs that bad that he can't take a 16? Or is he just trying to be a 14 Cha bard because the movie told him so?

the_steve posted:

Ability scores bug me the most for skill checks, because most skill checks are usually tied to one ability.

Like, lock picking for example. Usually that's Dexterity, and that makes enough sense.
But why not Intelligence? (You happen to know this particular lock is a Model 7 Keepem'out and that they all have a trick that pops them right open.)

Wisdom? (You fiddle around with it and happen to hear a tiny click.)

I know there are systems that allow it, and not every ability score is going to be relevant to a given skill check, but it's still something I'd like to see more of.

You actually can do this in PF2, but it's definitely a GM-dependent thing. There was actually a situation a little while ago where I recommended Intelligence-based Thievery for the check.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 18, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Someone who wants to roleplay "Character who is bumbling/not as good as they would like to be/say they are" but are unable to do that without just mechanically loving up their ability to aid their other party members kind of just suck to play with more often then not because the characters rarely go anywhere other than just being bad at the thing they decided they wanted to be so everyone else kind of just suffers for it and it's a drag on the fun for everyone for what amounts to a one note bit.

If you want to play a bumbling idiot who succeeds in unexpected ways, archetype into Unexpected Sharpshooter.

But yeah, people just need to make competent characters. It's possible to heavily dump an important stat, you just need to understand what you're doing and play very differently.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Min-maxing is the meta, but does a +1 or +2 really make that much of a difference? Losing a +1 to your DC is a 5% difference at level one, and just gets smaller from there. It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't think it is crippling. Especially if they are the sort of bard that focuses on buffing allies rather than damaging enemies. There's loads of bard spells that never use the DC. Instead of being a bard whose weakness is his 8 str, this guy's weakness is that he just isn't that great a bard magic.

Mathematically, they're going to be ~20% worse than a standard character on every roll that's dependent on until level 5, whereupon it presumably goes down to 10% worse. The problem is that's going to be a massive portion of their rolls unless they understand they're doing that, so they have to actually be getting something useful out of it.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 19, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

If you like the 1e wizard because you get to just solve problems by yourself with minimal interaction from other people, no.

If you like it because it's a prepared arcane spellcaster who leans harder into a school, yes.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

sugar free jazz posted:

here is protective ward

here is inspire defense, a 2nd level cantrip

+1 ac is good, protective ward is not good. other ideas are to focus on mobility spells so you can use battle medicine potentially two times on someone in a single fight instead of just getting the heal spell, multiclassing because your class feats are not essential (it's because they're bad, if they were good they would be essential), and the shield thing

just play something else lol

Yes but then if you're casting Inspire Defense you can't cast Inspire Courage.

Also hot take: composition cantrips are unbalanced compared to everything else. Just like, compare IC to pretty much any other one-action thing.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

M. Night Skymall posted:

I would give them sorc spell slots baseline. It made sense for sorcerers to have more spell slots before, because the number of spells they knew was limited. I think with signature spells it's not limited very effectively at all, and they still get the most spell slots for some reason anyway. Wizards aren't incredibly bad, they just aren't particularly good and there are other options for doing what you might want a wizard to do better. I would leave in drain bond, so they actually have the most spell slots in return for being vancian casters with mediocre feats.

I am very confused, because they both have 4 spells/level, but wizard has drain bond for +1.

Wizards straight up have the most spells.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

sugar free jazz posted:

Yeah it's always visible unless you're using Conceal Spell or is explicitly said to be hidden. The manifestation of the spell is always visible though, so I think in the case of Conceal Spell they just don't know it's you who is casting or see the spell being cast, but they see the spellcasting manifestation like an aura or pictures of brains floating in teh air or something and can tell that a spell is occurring.

Paizo really doesn't want spellcasting to be stealthy. when you cast a spell it's obvious you are casting a spell and it's obvious that the spell effect is coming from you. If you Dominate the king people notice he's under the effects of a spell and know it's you who cast a spell.

Note in the case of Conceal Spell it explicitly blocks manifestations. It is the one way in the game to do that, and it's only on Wizard

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

So by level 4, you can do one action from your companion without having to spend the action yourself. That makes it a lot easier. Then you can decide if you really want that third action, or if you can just spend it on your companion instead.

Doing both of those to full power will really eat into your class feats, though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh, that's fine then once you hit mature at 4.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

gurragadon posted:

Whats missing from the utility spell list? Paizo releases a ton of stuff so I havent looked at everything yet.

I really dont understand why attack cantrips arent 1 action. Like that would let people just blast off some random damage when they didnt have a good spell to cast.

Because then also you'd be able to cast a good spell and a cantrip every turn? And it's real easy to not have to deal with MAP or any downsides if you're even remotely smart about it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Here's my general advice on playing casters: don't target the thing that looks like their best save.

Incidentally the casters carried the day in the level 6 vs Extreme encounter I had yesterday, while the martials barely held their own. (I was one of the martials, and literally had to roll two nat 20s.)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

It's probably the "dex for casting" that is the issue there, since that has some pretty big balance implications. Since Dex is already used for your defense and your offense with ranged or finesse weapons, using it for your spell attacks / DCs would be super strong.

That said, you can probably get halfway there by taking Acrobatic Performer, which doesn't let dex set your DCs, but you could use it for Performance checks (including stuff like Lingering Composition). You could also take Sign Language, and in fact the Core Rulebook suggests giving that to deaf or mute characters for free.

If you specify that you still need to make some sounds for casting, on top of the above (say, rhythmically hitting the ground or something), so that Silence still affects you, I'd say that's absolutely balanced.

I will note that RAW, Acrobatic Performance can only be used for checks to Perform, which does not include Lingering Performance.

Would I allow it? I'd have to think about the ramifications a bit, but probably?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

The other thing is that components actually do matter in 2e, because there's a lot of spells that are verbal-only or somatic-only. And having/not having the manipulate trait does matter quite a bit.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

That one's also relevant! You can use somatic components with a hand full, but not material, so that's a bit of a restriction on casters with two hands full.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rescue Toaster posted:

On a lighter note,

How do you reconcile attack actions initiated out of combat with initiative? Like a mimic's reaction to being interacted with. Do you resolve the attack first and then roll init? If you roll init first, what if they don't win? I guess this is similar to a hiding ambusher losing init against someone they're attacking. Nothing has technically happened that would cause the players to observe anything.

My possible house rule would be always moving just the first character to act that triggered the fight to the top of the initiative if their opponents were all unaware. Not their entire group (unless they all win). So sort of a partial surprise round.

In the case of the mimic, I'd first check its automatic Deception against any target it'd have the chance to interact with (so a default mimic would beat anything with Perception +18 or less). Then you resolve the reaction, then roll init, similar to how you would a hazard.

Usually you'd just simply roll initiative, but the ambusher is using Stealth. If they don't get higher, then the creature has the chance to react, but (if the ambusher's Stealth beats Perception DC) they don't necessarily know someone's there. I believe this comes up in the Gamemastery Guide, as a note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

One thing I should probably note is that you should remember you have Acrobatics for Tumble Through as an option. Tumble Behind is a good addition to Flying Blade-based things, since it's a way to get flat-footed at range. Even with Cooperative Nature on One for All, I've found it's so much easier to fail on panache gaining than via Tumble Through. At level 3, with Cooperative Nature, you need to hit DC 21, and with expert Diplomacy you'll have about a 30% chance of failing. Against moderate level 3 Reflex, you need to hit DC 19, so you'll have about the same chance with expert Acrobatics, and that's a decently difficult target - you're much more likely to face lower level enemies.

Especially at low levels, your panache failure chance is high enough that you might struggle. And if you're using a buckler and investigator dedication you're gonna be hella action starved.

My main experience is with a two-weapon rapier/whip wit swash, as a note.