Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

MLSM posted:

So why did the King mention the long winter/night/white walkers at the end? They comin back?

Rather funny that it turns out the Targaryens always knew about the white walkers but at some point after this story they drop the ball big time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Stark lord had some real "I have better things to do with my time than this nonsense" energy and I loved it.

Jerusalem posted:

King: We conquered the realms because of a dark mysterious evil that nobody else knew about!
Starks: Are you loving kidding me with this bullshit?

Starks: Alright whatever, just promise us that whenever the great evil appears you'll back us up 100% with all your dragons since we are going to be the first kingdom getting hosed by it.
King: Look man, y'know, yeah.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I get the feeling that Hightower is going to be the Littlefinger of this show.

I'd say he's more of a subtle Tywin Lannister, at least from what I can gather in the first episode. He prefers stability in the realm, but also takes any chance he can to elevate his family. And judging by his reaction when his eldest face planted in the tourney and what he asks his daughter to do, he seems to also view his children as just pieces on a game board. He's just, y'know, less assholish about it. Then again thats just from a single episode.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChaseJSuddarth/status/1561841948671021056

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Is anything going anyway where anyone want to go in this universe?

The Iron Bank is perpetually counting their money and laughing at all the monarchist bullshit in Westeros.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I think we'll keep getting timeskips up until the actual civil war King Goober just ensured would happen breaks out. Then things should slow down as the clusterfuck engulfs the entire realm and more characters show up.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Also he was being pressured from all sides to marry right away, with Rhany endangering herself at Dragonstone being the final push. Alicent was the best option he thought he had.

A more strong-willed king would have put his foot down and declared that he will marry when he chooses, and everyone would have to shut the gently caress up about it. Viserys is not that.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Does Corlys feel bad about it?

He smiled for a moment while watching Laena and Viserys walk together, but that could just be him going "my daughter won't let me down" swiftly followed by "oh right I'm a monster".

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't quite get that either. Otto only brought twenty or so men so I assumed he was going to just negotiate with Daemon but that conversation escalated into him almost fighting against an entire army plus a dragon. Not sure what the game plan there was.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Rewatched the tourney melee so I can pick out the house lords fighting and lol of course its a Stark that gets the most brutal death of getting his face deleted

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Looks like Snow might only be a limited series according to leaks.

Probably for the best as I don't think Kit Harington can carry a show through more than one season.

Having said that, if this is just an attempt to give GOT a proper ending to the whole white walkers plotline, go nuts. All they have to do is not be as bad as season 8.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

time for crab battle

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The Lannisters had a long way to go before getting to Tywin apparently

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Game of Thrones: Yojimbo with Mifune swanning his way through the Seven Kingdoms would *own so hard*

ok hear me out: Replace Bronn with Yojimbo.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Crapilicious posted:

Oh gods yes. I have no idea what as but he's almost tailor made for this kind of thing.

Guy would have been a perfect Stannis Baratheon (not knocking Stephen Dillane's portrayal though)

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It was pretty :unsmith: seeing Rhaynera be carefree and happy for once.

Too bad its going to turbofuck the realm.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh I think he was thinking about it. He was thinking about a lot of poo poo.

Yeah he definitely had the look on his face of running every single scenario in his head of how much of a bad idea this is.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I assume that kid died. (He seemed very young too. I think he was supposed to be like a 16-year-old heckling a 13-year-old)

It just makes it much funnier if he died because it makes the failure of all the adults larger.

I have to rewatch the scene but I swear some of the adults were all :haw: after the blades came out. I guess Rhany wasn't the only bored noble in the room.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

At this point in the show is there supposed to be more to the two factions than Houses Hightower and Valerion? Neither are great houses since Val doesn't have hydes and knights and Hightower is under the Tyrells so I don't understand how this is supposed to touch off an epic war.

Not knowing a whole lot of the history of this era, but I imagine Hightower and Valerion were powerful houses in their time but eventually that power waned and other houses like the Tyrells came out on top. Kind of like how Winterfell exchanged hands between Starks and Boltons for years, I imagine not every house stays on top forever.

Even ones that have dragons.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Typo posted:

They are, House Velaryion is sworn to Stannis in the books

Oooff.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Criston :stare:

Well poo poo

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Man Fabien acted the gently caress out of his scene on the boat. Just a torrent of desperation and fear that you don't expect from the quiet badass knight.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

So is Lyonel Strong as good of a guy as he's coming off? He seems to be the only one who has any brains in the entire show.

He seems like a good and smart advisor, but not particularly cunning or driven as some other Hands we know of. He kind of just stood there while Viserys and Corlys were negotiating.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

She's also disdainful of the commonfolk, something even Daemon advises her not to be.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Honestly surprised the more family friendly fantasy show with high production values and established fanbase isn't more popular.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah I was more engaged with the wedding scene with goofy fantasy dancing than watching an elf spinkick a warg (which did look good admittedly).

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

roomtone posted:

you want a good girl but you need the bad pussy

goddammit NO :negative:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Found this on twitter, it's good

lol thats so mean

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I don't read interviews with the man, but there's no chance GRRM actually finishes ASOIAF, right? He already IPO'd, his book series has made as much if not more money and had more cultural impact than any author could hope for. No need to finish when you could lucratively consult on spin-off media until your death.

Even getting over the fact that he's in his 70s and rich now for him to really not care, the actual writing out of the story and remembering all the minor characters/houses/subplots etc. would be daunting. I'm in my 30s and I can barely remember half the poo poo I need to remember, let alone get the motivation to do any of it.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

lol Daemon rules

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Viserys limps on to another episode! :toot:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Whats up with bug girl

Alicent lost a few of the Targaryen coin flips

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Obviously all the characters are bad people to varying extents but man, I really hate Alicent. I understand her motivations but she just comes across as greedy and unreasonable.

Alicent "When your father dies, Rhaenyra will take the throne!"

Aegon II "Okay?"

Alicent "That means her children will be her heirs!"

Aegon II "Okay?"

Alicent "That means they'll get the throne before you and your brothers do!"

Aegon II "O...kay?"

Alicent "SHE'S GOING TO KILL THE poo poo OUT OF YOU"

Aegon II :stare: "okay"

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Mameluke posted:

This is legit speculation but I really hope Alicent and Larys don't have some sort of dark affair or coercive relationship because I kind of got that vibe

"I feel certain you would reward me in time" carries a different meaning in that case.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

So who is going to be the next Hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2BeBdEqmJ0&t=12s

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Finally caught up on the last episode. Alicent’s shock over the death of the Strong guys seemed over the top. It made me think she thought the kids died too or something. Just seemed a lit out of character for someone who had been cruel to others through the episode.

I think it was more her realizing that she is getting what she wanted unless she turns Larys in for his crime...and realizing that she is not going to do it.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Y'know, I wonder if when the war keeps off proper and we have to start looking at scenes in other parts of Westeros the following seasons that the intro will change to the map like in the original show?

And something destroys King Goon's diorama this season of course.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

Speaking of, we haven't had much info about sigils/coat of arms of the houses in this series yet, other than green meaning war for the Hightowers.

There was some of it in the first two episodes, but overall yeah the focus has been the Targaryens + associated houses. I imagine things will expand once poo poo hits the fan.

Also can't shake the feeling the Blackwoods are going to be a Big Deal in the coming war.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

If Rome was released in the last 10 years we'd have more than two seasons of it :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

After season 8, GOT is gonna need to do a lot of wiggling to get at the top for me.

So far they are off to a good start