Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

BadLlama posted:

I am finding PoF more of a slog, I cannot get the second mount because I do not have enough mastery points. Anywhere to get the points requires that mount so... yeah

and after typing that I found a whole area unexplored in crystal desert with the mastery point I needed.

Getting enough masteries in pre-expansion or HoT was an actual concern (Before they added a few more Tyria masteries around PoF and LW3 episodes) but PoF masteries are plentiful.
Did you check the Mastery Insight category in achievements? That lists all the mastery points that you can just go and grab without having to clear a story mission. There are only a couple that are difficult and just a single one that outright requires a specific game feature (you NEED the griffon/skyscale for one of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

The wiki has a nicely laid out infographic-table with everything you need for your legendary. Not sure what else you are looking for?

Just go to the page for a legendary and scroll down to "Full materials list"

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

orcane posted:

For the past few weeks the -autologin switch has like a 50% chance to do nothing and it's annoying :(

It is trying to get you to sign up for the SMS feature, when that prompt pops up (like 50% of the time) it blocks auto launch.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Is there a distinction between EU and US in any game mode?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Eeyo posted:

I was really annoyed when I found this out, I had already started the skyscale quests and went through a couple of the collections. But I only have 2/3 of the episodes unlocked and you need to do some trivial tasks in the latter episodes to get it finished.

So yeah I’m never getting it.

You need 250 of each LW4 map currency which you get from the Tier3 reward from each zones «return to…» achievement.

You also need these achievements for the legendary neck.

Tl;dr: you really should unlock the skyscale as it will get you far on the way to the legendary.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Hello Sailor posted:

Canach? He's a villain-turned-ally introduced in Southsun portion of LS1, which hasn't been restored yet. will not be restored

Fixed!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Your character becomes the Pact commander while Trahearne becomes Pact marshal.

I never got whose rank was superior.

Its "A" pact commander, not THE pact commander. You meet several other commanders during the story.

Pact Marshal is the highest rank

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Where is that item from?

The wiki surprisingly does not show.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Kassad posted:

It's sold by a heart vendor in Sandswept Isles (75 difluorite crystals + 175000 karma).

That is bizarrely cheap and easy to aquire.

I have heard of the item before but i just figured it was a rare BL item or something involving a legendary level grind.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

the embarrassing e-sports thing.

Elaborate!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Maguuma Jungle is not just the HoT zones though

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Im an EU player on Maguuma and ping is fine. Usually around 120ish.
I don’t pvp though so im not sure if it is too high to do that well.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I too have a mountain of spirit shards.

Never done any spirit shard conversions to gold before, though i have heard of mystic forge gambling.

Threw 4 stacks of bronze ingots to make iron ingots. Got 40 ingots 4 times, literally the smallest possible amount 4 times.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

One of my alts is called Tina Keyboardturner

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

They have said that getting updated screenshots free from distractions is on their to-do list

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I play pistol/pistol mechanist and quite enjoy it. Its not as common as rifle mech but you still get the easy and powerful gameplay that mech gives you.

I haven’t played in a few months though so i don’t know how the mech changes has affected it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Another thing about commander icons, clicking on the icon on the map allows you to join the squad. No need to ask in zone chat for an invite (for the most part; there are commanders that don’t have their squads open)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I took a break from GW2 and the game went from "no expansion announced" to "new expansion released" in that period, welp.

Since i have literally been living under a rock the last 1,5 years and am out of the loop but thinking of picking the game back up i was hoping i could get some help with these:

When last i played rifle mechanist was the bees knees in solo pve. When looking at metabattle now this spec is rated 3/5. Did it get nerfed big time? It was a load of fun to play, but a lot of that fun came from it being powerful.

It looks like the expansion added legendary armor that you can get from solo pve. How "solo" is this? Actually solo solo, or you need a raid group but its in open world and not in instances?
What kind of time investment are we talking? Full cap of relevant resource weekly for a year?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

From what i understand the rewards in the wizards vault rotate monthly, but old rewards gets put into an archive and will always be available.
Is this also true for the legendary starter box? The one currently in the rotation has Quip, which i really want, but i do not have time to play the game at the moment.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Recently returned to the game, having been inactive from before SotO was announced and until now.
The last thing i did was grind dungeon currency and buy 6 runes of sanctuary as well as grind a full set of Mist Shard armor boxes from Dragonfall (diviners stats)
I don’t remember why. Does anyone know why i would do this? I play rifle mechanist.

The sanctuary runes used to give a barrier with the 6 piece.
The mist shard armor increases buff duration, so i wanted these for increased uptime on might stacks?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Humerus posted:

Replaying S2 for the Seasons of the Dragon achievement reminded me how much I loving hate it when they force you to use skills other than your own. At least in IBS when you were scrying into another person they let you just ignore their lovely skills and use yours. The entirely too long sequence in S2 where you're Caithe was awful back when it was new and it was awful a year ago when I played it again.

So you have that to look forward to.

Same!
Its infuriating when these games forces you to play a different class. At least in lotro you can skip such missions and read a summary of what happened.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Old Boot posted:

This is partly why I stick with Necro. Complicated control schemes make my brain fritz out

It means classes with a ridiculously huge suite of options like Engineer

Engineer has a lot of options but once you are in combat your button selection is fairly limited.
I play engineer and i am garbage at these games, but fair decently well on engineer, which should say a lot about how easy it is.

With mech you don't have F1-F5 abilities, you don't have weapon swap, your special skills all give passive boosts so you try to avoid using them, so a grand total of 5 bottons to use. Necro has 20 (weapon x 2, F1-F5, specials)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Reposting my Tyria Mastery effortpost from the previous thread, as someine in guild chat was asking how/where to get mastery points?
The list is out of date in that it does not have the Central Tyria mastery points added with PoF (or somewhere around there)

Incoming Tyria mastery effort post:

Here is the list of mastery points.

I categorized them below.
Easy ones are ones that you either get with little effort, you get "for free" from completing the story or ones that can easily be soloed they just take time
Medium are ones that require a bit more effort and planning but shouldn't be too difficult to complete.
Hard are ones that are actually hard
Stay away are masteries that are extremely difficult and/or expensive

You will need 49 Tyria points in total. If you do all the easy and medium ones you will get 53 which is more than enough. I recommend not doing Koutalophile, the Tequatl meta achievement and skip the fractal ones you aren't able to do in a few tries. Personally i was able to knock out all the fractal ones in a couple of hours in a SFD/GOON group.

Easy: (26 in total)
Koutalophile - can be time consuming depending on luck. One of the items requires spending a bunch of Laurels so save this one for later. I personally do not have this mastery.
Amber Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Cobalt Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Crimson Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Karka Queen Killer - just show up for the event and kill her
Ruler of Shinies - just show up for the event and kill her
Dive Master - just run around and do all the dives
Been There, Done That - explore the map!
Dungeons Discovered - do the dungeons!
Master of Heroics - get to level 80
Hidden Garden - do a easy jumping puzzle
Slaughter in the Swamp - just show up and kill Tequatl
The Annihilator - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Demolisher - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Executioner - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Tormentor - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
Triple Trouble* - Easy to do while you do the great jungle worm
Wurmicidal Maniac* - You get this for free when you have killed 3 different great jungle worm heads.
Story - 8 possible in total - I did not list all these are there are a ton. You will get 8 mastery points in total, out of 25 possible, as you will only get credit for completing the story on 1 race. Playing through the story once will gget you 8 mastery points "for free".

Medium (27 in total)
Living Season 2 (8 in total): Echoes of the Past Episode, Entanglement Episode, Gates of Maguuma Episode, Point of No Return Episode, Seeds of Truth Episode, Tangled Paths Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Completed! - While this is PVE content a few of the encounters can be challenging if your build isn't very good.
Lion's Arch Exterminator - Requires a few tricky jumps, and to complete one of the Lion's Arch jumping puzzles
The Fractal ones (14 in total): Carrier Cacophony, Fancy Footwork, Flawless Fins Foil Foes, Holo-Hornpipe, Hop, Skip, and Jump, Horrik's Horror, If We Only Had Marshmallows, Open Grave, Out of Cluck, Shockwave Skipper, Subject 6 Deep-Sixer, Take a Bow, The Floor Is Lava. Don't Step In It., Weapons Tester - medium because they requires a group, some of them are only available for a short time, and some require you to get a group to want to do it.
Go for the Gold - Requires lots of creative jumps in Silverwastes (and a guide) (can't be done at the same time as the JP)
Retrospective Runaround - A jumping puzzle in Silverwastes with several challenging sections
The Be-All and the End-All - Kill all 4 different bosses in the Silverwastes, can be time consuming.
Tequatl the Sunless - requires you to do a difficult achievement to dodge Tequatls tail swipe. It is completely random whether you get it or not.

Hard (8 in total)
Living Season 2 meta achievements: Echoes of the Past Mastery, Entanglement Mastery, Gates of Maguuma Mastery, Point of No Return Mastery, Seeds of Truth Mastery, Tangled Paths Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Mastery - Hard because many of the achievements are very hard, some are nigh impossible. You do not need to do any of the LS2 meta achievements if you do all the easy and medium masteries.

Stay away (6 in total)
The Emperor's New Wardrobe - It is like 500 gold + other resources to finish this one
Ambrite Weapon Collection - extremely time consuming
Ascended Accoutrement - extremely expensive
Bioluminescence - very time consuming
Fractal Master - mama mia
Gold Fractal Master - oh no, just don't

*I listed the great jungle worm masteries under easy. If you find an organized group to do this event these masteries are easy. The event itself is diffucult however and is not possible to do with people randomly showing up. The guild RnT organizes this event twice per day (on US realms). The event that is in the evenings for US time/morning for EU time was always successful in my experience, while the event in US mornings/EU evenings NEVER succeeded.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've never played an MMO at max level for more than like a week until I lose interest. I don't see the appeal of blasting to max level instantly.

Totally agree, MMOs are about the journey and not the destination, EXCEPT GUILD WARS 2!
Get your rear end to 80 asap!The game is worthless before that.

Before 80 you don’t meet any challenging content, cannot participate in most memorable meta events, don’t have elite specs, don’t have masteries, etc.
This game starts at level cap.
Best of all is the game does a great job of scaling you down to lower level zones so you don’t miss out on any low level content.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Saraiguma posted:

there's no might

What is that chart telling us?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Jedah posted:

Mentioning legendaries as a solution was absurd, too. Unless you're invested/dedicated, even with the Soto legendary starter kit, it's still a lot to acquire.

This is so true.
I have played the game on and off for a decade, i have done thousands of meta events and opened tens of thousands of chests or «consumables», and i have never really crafted anything nor sold anything on the to except when an item is storage capped.
To be able to craft Quip from the SotO chest i had to use all my materials and still had to spend over 200g on the tp to buy the missing stuff.
The game shits loot at you at an absurd pace but it is all essentially worthless. All the constant rewards really tickles the dopamine center of our reptile brains though, so i guess thats why we keep doing it.

Edit: the hour old patch added a new merchant to wvw that lets you buy a full set of exotic stat selectable gear set for about 10g + 700 badges of honor.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 26, 2023

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah when buying items from the tp do not search for stat names but search by attributes.

Berserkers stat has a dirt cheap armor set for each weight, and most base game stat combos has some cheap items that are probably cheaper than the new WvW stuff.
Stat combos from expansions are really expensive though.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Some nice little boosts to allow me to all of heal, alac, quick and DPS off the same engi

Which build is this?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Four separate builds, it's just nice to join a group and switch to what's needed with a couple of buttons.

Isn't that how it is now?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Im on the same pc as when the game launched, and don’t have any performance issues.
It have also never crashed from what i remember.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Start with jewelry, (as every toon will use the same slots)

(but do armour and weapons as you like)

Counterpoint: ascended jewellery is really easy to get «for free» from map currencies.

The legendary jewellery (sans amulet) require a large amount of gold as well as an enormous amount of time in doing various achievements/collections.

Before starting on a legendary you really should think through whether or not the QOL of having them is worth it to you.

Stat swapping sounds great but how often would you REALLY need it?

I have played since release and got my first legendary literally today, and that was the amulet which only requires time and not a thousand gold in resouces as well.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

The only group objective required for the legendary amulet that was difficult to do was the oil rig defense (the one culminating in killing a giant slime).
I think i had to do it 7-8 times before it was successful.
All other group ones succeeded the first time i tried them. Im EU timezone playing on US realm so anyone playing in their region shouldnt have any problems finishing any of the group objectives.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

A running start also makes it easier to judge when to jump and how far. In «leapfrog» sections i usually back up to the back end of each platform for a running start to the next

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

From what i understand the new weapons are not fully designed/finished yet? The general philosophy and playstyle is there but the numbers will be tweaked?

So as a player that don’t understand how to create a build at all, but are looking for a new prof/weap to play, shouldn’t necessarily jump on one of the new weapons right now but wait for the designs to be finished?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I have all profs at 80 with most elite specs unlocked. (did HoT map completion on all of them, more or less)
The only prof i have played any significant story with after HoT is my engineer.
I am thinking of finding something new to play, and logged on to my ranger to just run around a bit, test the playstyle some, maybe grab some new pets.

Everything after HoT is locked off. I guess i knew map progress was not shared but didn't realise it was to this degree. I don't really want to play the story chapters to unlock each map if i don't need to. Is there any way to get into all the locked maps without too much effort? Join groups in LFG and teleport friend?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

it's worth learning the spec sub-roles that will use the weapons if you like them but you definitely want to build assuming you won't have them for now, iirc these weapons don't drop for real until 2024, possibly even february

I was more wondering how much stock to put into the playstyle and performance of the various builds popping up right now, seeing as the weapons are beta? I am looking for something new to play (exclusively an OW player) and when e.g. theres a thief build with the new weapon that solos Balthazar without breaking a sweat it is easy to be tempted to jump on and play that. Im assuming numbers will be changed by the time the new weapons go live, but what about playstyles? (Speaking from how previous betas have been)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Many thanks, that is a lot more options than i had in my mind.
I have been ignoring the various teleport scrolls and other teleport items as i normally am not an alt player and really enjoyed engineer, but 8 years of that is starting to feel sufficient.
I am in both SFD and GOON and have multiple stacks of most map currencies to buy scrolls so it sounds like i have lots of options.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Gonna hold off on playing a different class until the new weapons release and builds have started settling.

Meanwhile i want to add a boon spec to my engineer, as that is something i have been thinking off for a while but never gotten around to doing.

Would this be Alacrity Power Rifle? Using Diviner's gear?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I have some questions about alacrity mech i hope someone can take the time to answer. I have found several builds online and there and there are quite a lot of variation to them, so i am trying to figure out which differences are impactful and not. I don't have the resources to try all the variants so i need to figure this out before investing into new gear.

Basically i want an alacrity build for difficult open world content like the final fight in dragon's end. Boon uptime and survivability takes priority over dps

Is rifle still the go-to weapon for alacrit mech?
It seems the alacrity skill is fairly short range, does that mean you will be mostly in melee range despite using a rifle?
I have found builds on hardstuck and snowcrows. These seems very minmaxed so i assume they are for raids? These builds state you must have a minimum of 32% boon duration, and 100% crit. 32% boon duration sounds stressful so i am thinking of increasing that? Why does these build need 100% crit? Just for damage or are there any procs or triggers from critting?
I have found a recent build using a hammer instead, how does that hold up to rifle?
The same hammer build has a survivability variant for open world content. That immediately drew my eye, however when looking at the build it is mostly just swapping out firearms for alchemy resulting in a lot more boon duration but no real difference in hitpoints. What makes this a survivabilty build?
Can i use rifle instead of hammer in this same survivability build?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Tried out the Hammer Alacrity Mech build from MrMystic.
Opted to go for the video variant and not the survivability variant.
Not sure hammer is my playstyle, both rifle and p/p feels so much more fun to use.
Had a good first impression of the build by getting 3 back to back rifts at the end of the world in Nayos, and flinging myself off said world with Hammer3 on every rift (despite the rift boss being between me and the edge, and targeted)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Neutron posted:

Speaking of mrmystic, the latest scourge OW

Is this one of the new beta weapons, and nerfs are incoming?