Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
I got started on the Rana quest, which takes forever, so I got tired of being held in suspense and read spoilers for the Archon Quest, and man it sure is :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Coolness Averted posted:

I really don't like the way the game does chains of unskippable cinemas/dialogue and back to back fights with new mechanics that aren't explained to you without giving you a chance to swap teams. Like the Inazuma back to back boss fights that include completely different elements and a specific gently caress you to teams that rely on elemental skills without giving you a chance to swap in the traveler for a fight that's built around using them.
At least it gives you a free heal on fight.

That's why I have been using my Abyss A-team as my overworld team. Everything dies in 10 seconds max.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

FractalSandwich posted:

I've got enough 4-star artifacts that I want to start feeding the weaker ones to my 5-stars. Is there anything I should look out for and hold onto apart from elemental damage goblets?

You will eventually only be using 5-star artifacts, with the possible exception of 4-star EM VV artifacts since they're so hard to farm for (although easier now that you can turn other 5-star artifacts into VV).

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Happy Underpants posted:

I like the game part of the game, where I push buttons and things happen. The characterization is very much tertiary to me.

Ningguang is a good example. Throw rocks, put up a wall, throw more rocks, power move is throwing the most rocks and, at C6, following it up with even more rocks. Tons of fun. Her characterization is some kind of rags to riches high class lady? She's some kind of bureaucracy queen? Sure. fine. Why is she going on this adventure with me? why is she climbing mountains to get flowers and jumping into streams to catch fish? Why is she doing all of these rough and tumble things in heels? If she's a load bearing functionary shouldn't she be fulfilling her responsibilities in a tacky golden office?

Kokomi is another example. During her quest I remember thinking 'delegate delegate delegate, good leaders cultivate competent staff.' She's setting up her entire city to collapse from her getting food poisoning or the flu. With all the terrible burden of her necessity what the hell is she doing flouncing around with me goofing off and doing these dumb event activities?

The character's I like most are the lower class screw ups. Razor is a feral man who is completely at home getting covered in adventure grime. Bennett is the perennial screw up refusing to let reality douse his optimism. Fischl is trying to live up to the beauty of her delusions. Mona REALLY needs the money. Itto is going to win that banana doll and show that carnie who's boss. All the divine royalties in this game should just ask their handlers to front them a line of credit and stop bothering me with how special their torment is.

The writing is at the same time front loaded and withheld: you're given these big dumps of text slowly doled out, sentence after sentence, over perfunctory little animations. If it was a single big paragraph I could read it and move on but someone had to storyboard the logistician's 'story about a wagon' and why we need to really soak in the dangers of moving things on a wagon and every NPC has these hidden, meaningless depths. My response to the chasm NPC's cough was hoping she'd die at the end or erupt into some kind of fun to fight goop monster. No such luck. After however many chapters of ignoring good advice her big moment was following good advice. A grand vindication for people who only needed to be told once.

It's all so trite. Let me hit things and take their stuff.

The canonical story is it's just you and Paimon, and occasionally someone joins you (the "5th" party member). All the other characters you play as are not actually there for plot purposes. That's why when you talk to an NPC, the game will swap in Traveler for the cutscene.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Zenostein posted:

"We've implemented morrowind's quest log, on top of your regular quest log. Also it's an item, and your only notice that it's updated is a little mark on the item description." I can't say I'm a fan of the book. It is a pretty good way to convince you to explore regions, but only very small parts of that region. I had to go back through those dungeons to find the last teleport, because it was "up" instead of "forward," where the quest points you. And even then I've still got a cave that isn't fully drained and a door blocking my way out of a cave with no apparent way to open it.

I also glossed over all their names, but that's because they're not terribly important. They're little plantmen you have to do chores for, in between paimon paimonning all over the drat place, with a periodic reminder that you're actually doing all this for a reason. Doesn't much matter who's who, just gotta find the guy in the area and do what he asks.

Even if it's a stealth mission, for some idiot reason.

Maybe if you mess with your color settings you can make one of the green ones look banana-y.

Aranyaka would take an inordinate amount of time without a guide.

Even with a walkthrough it still took quite a while.

Overall, it was quite enjoyable. But it was also very long.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Clarste posted:

It is still funny to me that, as far as we know, Paimon is a totally unique being, yet absolutely no one considers her even slightly weird. Everyone just immediately and without question accepts that you have a floating toddler with you.

Maybe part of Paimon's power is that it ensures no one thinks too much about Paimon's existence.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

x1o posted:

Finished the Archon quest finally and made a dent in the new event. Looking forward to drop kicking that douche Scaramouche into a volcano or something in the future.

Also before any additional endgame content is added I want Mihoyo to fill in this bit of the map because it's been annoying me since I started playing:

what secrets are you hiding there?!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I’d guess it’s the border of Fontaine, since it’s right next to the Oceanid, and we know she fled to Liyue from Fontaine.

This leak might be relevant (spoiler):
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/913137663400374312/1026849559118352384/SPOILER_image0.jpg

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I think it could also be that past events assume that the game world is in a certain state (e.g. Sumuru doesn't exist), and getting those old events to populate correctly in the latest version without weird dependency issues is not a trivial task.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Kale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUV_DLp4Bdw

Regarding Paimon chat sometimes I think her Japanese voice actress just has ADHD based on her videos for the JP channel

My favorite Genshin VA is Itto's Chinese VA who is basically Itto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l1DwRpFE9c

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Does Nahida Q not give resistance to interruption?

Feels like she has to run with ZL then.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Every Archon has a goetic demon name, rarely used (although not unheard of) among their subjects, seemingly assigned when they became Archons. Notably the only non-Archon (as far as we know) character to follow this scheme is... Paimon. :v:

There's one other character that has a Goetic name... Amy

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Yeah agreed, this was a hard abyss. I had to use a few different teams and reset a few times to 36*.

I kinda liked it honestly. It was something that I couldn't just E and Q and dash cancel my way to 36* with Raiden National and Hu Tao/ZL.

I ended up used Nahida/Yelan/Jean/Fischl against the drake. It was my first time taking Nahida and Jean and Fischl to floor 12, and was a nice change of pace. Also C2 Jean being useful makes me feel less bad about losing every single 50/50.

Sanctum posted:

e: Knights are easy with permafreeze, but I have no clue how to defeat this aeon blight drake it takes me 3 minutes just to do that half.

Use an archer to snipe the two glowing spots on its shoulder to get it on the ground quickly, and then just hit it hard.

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 16, 2022

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

What if I only like meta characters?

Like Xiao, I despise the weak and the useless.

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 21, 2022

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Asimo posted:

Re: Wanderer and the Archon quest, the only sensible name is Fuujin, the wind/storm god counterpart to Raiden :pseudo:

Get it? Because he's both your Pokemon-esq rival, as well as being literally blue. Har har har.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Happy Underpants posted:

There's lots of fancy dresses in game but they're all too over designed to be swishy. Give me more swishy dresses.

I think there's performance/physics/clipping issues with swishy

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

The umbrella yokai sword looks awesome on Kazuha. It fits a lot better than Iron Sting, both in terms of color and in terms of lore.

And there's a cool little animation when the yokai sword curses an enemy.

Very satisfied with this free weapon.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yae loves to bully Gorou, the fox boy who doesn't cover up his ears.

At some point we need to have an all-out snark war between Yae and Tighnari.

Mihoyo should call a Yae/Gorou/Tighnari quest chain "Canidae Controversy"

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can play pvp in the cardgame as much as you want for 0 rewards

I want to see MHY put up a leader board (but still 0 rewards) for the TCG to see the ensuring chaos

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Damage report: 2 Raidens, 1 Tignari, and 1 Haran in about 230 rolls.

I was starting from 0 pity on the character banner and 35 pity on the weapon banner, so it's not terrible.
The first Raiden was pretty early, I got a new 5* character in addition to C2 Raiden.

Could've gotten luckier on the weapon, but can't have everything. At least it's Ayaka's second best sword, who I'll start saving for next.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Shower thought:

The Khaenri'ah disaster has to be one of three things:
- nanobots gone haywire/gray goo scenario, and/or
- AI gone haywire, and/or
- nuclear weapons (or the Teyvat equivalent) getting used

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Gearhead posted:

She's quite strong. She's as close to a universal power source as you can get for plugging into a group to provide energy and some people say she's the single best character to pull on a banner for in the whole game. How far that goes, I'm not entirely sure, but getting her has certainly changed my play style up.

Raiden is the epitome of "press E to charge up, press Q to win."

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Inzombiac posted:

I would pay 10 bux for a quick party swap button.

I don't have any heavy weapon characters in my main party but there are always mining opportunities.

Your Zhongli?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

If Baizhu's Q doesn't swing that snake around like Hu Tao's ghost, I want a refund.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Is there a C6 can solo both halves of all/most Abyss floor 12s (not in the same run obviously)?

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

No Wave posted:

Tighnari cons are by far the best ones. They're still not as good as rate up 5* cons but they actually do stuff. Its almost impressive how bad the other ones are tbh. Even Mona's C1 is broken to not extend freeze duration.

C2 Jean is pretty amazing actually. Very good for co-op.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I use Raiden/Yelan/Bennett/Kazuha as my overworld team.

Great elemental coverage (occasionally need to swap to Nahida for dendro but that's it), great for exploration/movement with Yelan and Kazuha, self-sufficient in terms of healing, and kills anything that needs to be killed extremely quickly.

I might replace Raiden with Ayaka next patch for even greater mobility; we'll see.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Just had a really messy Abyss clear.

Afterwards, I went in to my characters, and realized that I haven't touched my XQ and XL artifacts for like half a year. XQ still had a ER sands from before I got his C6. Five minutes later, my XQ went from ~1300 atk/50 CR/100CD to 1670 atk/60cr/120cd, just by shuffling existing artifacts around. XL went from 55/120 to 67/155.

Check the load out on your 4* supports once in a while, folks!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

No 14 year old should be paying $600 to save an account on a free-to-play gacha. He can learn a lesson and start a new account from scratch.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Tree Reformat posted:

Debating whether to use one of my two banked 5* pities on Ayaka or Baizhu. I want Kazuha guaranteed regardless, but if I'm gonna burn a 50/50 on one of those two, I'm wondering who to go for. I have Mona now, so I don't really need Ayaka's utilities then, and thus the only thing she would bring to my roster is a cryo dps since I have no cryo 5*s.

Baizhu, on the other hand, might give me more survivability since I don't have Kokomi. I do have Yaoyao and Kuki, though, so it's not like I'm completely out of luck on healing.

I have no preference on their waifu/husbando qualities, this is purely a meta decision. I guess having Chinese Orochimaru would be funny, tho.

Changsheng doesn't play any role in Baizhu's skills or talents, unfortunately.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Kale posted:

The more stuff we hear about Fontaine the more I'm convinced we're going to act out the French revolution along with whatever friends we make along the way and Focalors is going to make version 2.0-2.4 Raiden Shogun look like Mahatma Ghandi in comparison and be Teyvat Marie Antoinette with god powers to back it up instead of just Gendarme and Musketeers and what not. I wonder if we'll get a Cosette and a Javert too and if they'll just literally name them that.

Knowing Genshin, we'll probably get the PG-rated, musical version.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Space Opera posted:

Every few weeks I get bored of running Yoimiya in the Scaramouch fight and change it up, only to remember at the instant KO stage that most of my other pyro/dendro dps units can't hit the stupid turrets in the air and they resist hydro/electro. Who thought this was good boss design??

Interestingly, Jean's E extends high enough to kill the mid-air turrets in one hit.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Is the game not loading for anyone else on PC? Stuck at the 7 element icon loading screen.

edit: wow reddit advice was useful for once--I disconnected and reconnected my ethernet cable and it loaded

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 12, 2023

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Man I wish I came up with 阿帽

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I'm fairly impressed that Mihoyo went through the effort of making an actual in-game model of a wheelchair for an NPC in Yoi's story quest. That's attention to detail.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

The plot of the current event is really, really stupid. Even for Mihoyo.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

what a weird abyss

not even going to try for more than 33

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Tree Reformat posted:

Rana gets Vision and she's a generic NPC who was just another Forest Ranger as far as anyone knows.

She should be the first 3-star character. Hell, I'd pull for her after all that work going through that entire 100 hour questline.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Man both the Archon quest and the story quest have been dark as hell in Fontaine

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

MoonCrab posted:

Running around a bit, feels like abyss is currently set up for mono-pyro + mono-hydro. Makes sense for making Lyney + Neuv look good, and then it just so happens that Xiangling and Yelan's bonkers kits are coming along for the ride, pretty much accidentally. And then there's the second "accidental" layer, of those teams being trivial to jostle into hyperbloom and vape. Wonder if they're setting things up for Neuvillette+Furina and Lyney+Arlecchino to be the designated "good teams." Might be neat, I guess...

Switched over to Koko+Yelan hyperbloom and Raiden national and it became pretty trivial, and Raiden was there mostly for the interrupt resistance and battery. Good old international also works as always, especially for the pyro side, and lets you run Xingqiu+Yelan on the hydro side. Other than that, the Klee team that I use for domains and bosses (Klee/Kazuha/Zhongli/Bennett) also kleens up pretty efficiently, but that's to be expected in a Lyney abyss I guess :/

Oh oops I never tested pneumosia. Or taser :(

Uhhh, later.

Yeah easy 36 star Abyss this cycle, especially compared to the last few which I could barely 33 star

Nahida/XQ/Kuki/Yelan first team, Raiden/XL/Bennett/Kazuha second team for all the floors, didn't break a sweat

Sorta proves that mono-pyro teams are really not worth the effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

Interesting that they put Keqing in the Zhongli trial. Is this the first time that Mihoyo had a helper character that you can't get for free in a trial?