Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Guys I think you're being too harsh, I'm sure the next moron will get it right. They've been holding the competent ones in reserve for a moment like this, just like how Russia's yet to deploy its modern kit and trained soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

She's off to pursue her true calling - opening up new pork markets.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

I can't imagine any future government could top the amazing horizons of failure that we're exploring with this lot.

The new leader Nadine Dorries suddenly Theresa-May-dances out to the lectern and says "hold my beer".

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

From whence did this gangtag originate? Because it's surely relevant again.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Camrath posted:

she was hated by every single ‘below stairs’ type and was a bloody nightmare.

Could surely infer this about any tory.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What slogans would get Nadine Dorries in?

"Nadine Next!"
"Dorries'll Do It!"

She is the hero this cuntry deserves.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Newcomer here, is your fudge creamy, or crumbly?

Edit: Late to the fudge party.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Permitted list of referees validating original document(s):
Estate Agent

Used Car Salesperson
PPI Callcentre Operator
Person Who Tries To Sell You Sky TV In the Trafford Centre

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This representation of him is far too flattering.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm sure they can be won round with the clap.

Fake edit: Sorry, a clap.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

At least they'll always have the politicians market, who can be relied upon to always have poppies to show how much they care.

Maybe the British Legion or whoever it is could hire a strategic consultant (like me) to propose new revenue streams? More than one poppy = more respect for the war dead.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is there another city which properly respects the poppy and is in line to take over as capital?

The race is on.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have enjoyed the coverage of it on The Verge:

https://www.theverge.com/twitter

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I'd be interested in how we terraform Mars

Practice using the world-leading simulations already produced for this very purpose.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I've been playing a lot Factorio with the Space Exploration mod, and it's really hard to build a cargo rocket and fly into space.

You're doing it wrong, clearly. It's Kerbal Space Programme.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My wife works supporting victims of domestic abuse and such a large proportion of the perpetrators are serving police officers, including those with previous convictions. They get arrested, they get bailed, and during that time continue in the police. It's loving ridiculous.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Failed Imagineer posted:

Very literal usage here. I sometimes wonder how long this will remain acceptable as an adjective. Probably not so much longer in Ireland, though I use it myself

E: actually it was even a storm in a teacup here in the last week, though the Traveller guest on the show didn't care in the slightest

Googling didn't really explain what's wrong with the word, I've not seen anyone take issue with it before. Does it have a meaning other than tired/worn out/broken? Aside from killing old horses.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

And yet we can't buy horse meat anywhere (at least not intentionally...).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Investigation says not guilty = no problem.

Investigation says guilty = "I believe in redemption", "full confidence" = no problem.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Solefald posted:

as long as I showed them I had done 35 hours worth of job searching each week. :shrug:

Coming from a place of absolute ignorance about the system, I can't get my head around how this would work. I always figured that there wouldn't be enough jobs to fill that time for one week, let alone every week.

This subject made me go and look to see if there was a Panorama episode on it, regrettably there wasn't.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tesseraction posted:

(self-studying for the CCNA)

Oh hey CCNA buddy, mine expired in 2011 and I've successfully dodged having to do any more, despite continuing to climb in the field since then.

I did get made redundant in early 2021 but fortunately lined two jobs up by the time it actually happened.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This page has a spreadsheet of percentiles up to 2019-2020 tax year (which was only added in 2022, so seems a few years behind).

I don't have friends who judge, but I am constantly conscious of not wanting to seem tactless since they're from a broad range of economic situations. Fortunately we're all British enough to not discuss our salaries, only my wife and my parents know.

Kin posted:

Like at one of those points it should just loving shoot up dramatically to show the divide in who has all the money.

It really does.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is a person who earns £110,000 now going to pay any more tax under the new budget?

I don't think so, but someone earning £130k would, for example.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm currently in a hard-fought battle to get a raise to as much as new starters on my team get paid (HR hosed up and put the salary in a job ad, which I saw and nobody else did) and move from the 95th to 96th percentile. I think my wife is 50th (also for a charity).

It feels liberating to be able to discuss it with strangers (and god you cunts are strange).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Thats what I thought. Yet some silly tosser on jeremy vine who knows hes very privileged to earn 100k but, presumably unlike everyone else, he worked really hard for it and now hes questioning why because hes stuck paying more tax and he might have to go part time because he just cant bear the ghastly thought of paying more tax, but is prepared to earn less.

Its always been like this its how tax works? No one challenged it.

With the number of loving U-turns in policy, who can even keep track of whether said tosser was referring to something Kwarteng said, comparing that with now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tarnop posted:

The part time stuff suggests there's a very good chance this person doesn't understand marginal tax rates. Every job I've worked at I've had to explain to someone that no, moving into the 40% tax bracket doesn't mean that you now pay 40% tax on everything you earn

I am not fortunate enough to have this problem myself, but I did hear a friend talking about there being a situation between something like £100-110k where you'd end up worse off than at £99k. I don't recall what it was, or know if it's accurate.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

To be fair it should be pretty easy to identify and handle such hateful tweets with such a big moderation te...

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I earn seven figures.

(If you count the two after the .)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The yardstick I heard was whether you know the price or milk or bread. I'm a fortunate, privileged oval office who just puts it in the trolley. I learned to appreciate privilege from my wife, since she was anything but.

kecske posted:

Sit down on my leather sofa bought on sale at Sofology (haha I love those adverts, what is that sloth like haha, love sloths me).

I designed a lot of the Sofology network. All of the Everton network, though!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

Like, logistical, computer, or do the people who try to sell you stuff in the shops all have brain chips that connect to the central sales hive?

Computer, linking all the sites. Never been to a shop though. And their sofas were too expensive.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cancelbot posted:

Digging deep but we’re you based in the Golborne site? I spent 2 months there as a software engineer, decided it was rubbish and went back to my previous job.

I visited there, didn't work for them, worked for a provider.

Also regarding Everton, I know gently caress all about football and don't follow it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The polls mean nothing, people will change their minds when they feast their eyes on the wondrous opportunities it has brought (they're just out of frame).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Ironically I had the opposite experience recently - had been seeing private physios on an off since March for a shoulder problem. Some self-financed, some via insurance from work. Saw about 5 different people at greatly varying levels of experience. It took 6 months to get an accurate diagnosis and appointments usually took around a week or two to book.

I give up and think I'll try NHS, manage to get an appointment within two days, actually get a steroid injection during the appointment. Wish I hadn't wasted my time at the start since it might have been able to prevent it getting worse than it has.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Graham Linehan is so loving weird looking that all cartoons and charicatures I've seen of him make him look more normal.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

I agree that anti-semitism is treated differently. Anti-semitism is unacceptable racism and anti-black or anti-muslim/arab or anti-Indian or what have you are all essentially ignored by "polite society" as a bit of banter. Islamophobia is practically the state religion in this country & I don't see people getting kicked out of the Labour Party in hordes for it, despite plenty recorded examples of a casual Islamophobia in Labour circles.

It's okay, if you remember the tories investigated themselves for islamophobia and found themselves guilty of nothing. So we're apparently good on that front.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah I'm back in the country for the first time in a few years and drove past one of those Amazon sites. Could not believe how big it was.

Unrelated - did you grow up in North Yorkshire? I believe we have mutual friends (Tommy Ten Gears).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

At least in the UK I believe you can place a covenant on a property when you sell it requiring that the purchaser actually live in it rather than rent it out. No idea if it’s possible to make that pass on to future sales, I assume there’s a way out of it.

I know gently caress all about the legal side but having just sold a leasehold home it sounds like exactly the sort of cuntery that can be accomplished that way.

Edit: Not suggesting OP is a oval office or this particular idea is cuntery. Just that cuntery can be and is achieved through leashold.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 23, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

thebardyspoon posted:

Difficult stuff

I do not have any advice, but that sounds really difficult and she is fortunate to have you looking out for her.

I have been lucky that both my grandmothers, now affected by severe forgetfulness, seem to acknowledge it. One has even got nicer.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If we keep saying it's autumn it won't get colder.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Comrade Fakename posted:

I've been hearing some chatter about electric blankets. Apparently they're very comfortable, warm (obviously) and most importantly, far cheaper to run than the heating. Anyone had any experience with them?

There are different approaches - I think the 'intended' use is put them under the sheet and leave them there. An Airbnb we stayed at not long ago had this, but many of the cheaper ones you can feel the round wires in them.

My wife just puts hers under the duvet to pre-warm the bed then usually takes it out when she gets in. Personally I don't like them. I'm the sort that wants a cold room and a reasonably thin duvet, but I could see that changing if I wasn't in a position to keep this place heated.

Edit: Actually there was one time I was loving glad of an electric blanket - when I woke up with a fever after my covid booster. It was a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

This subject makes me remember how long it took me to realise that Americans are referring to a duvet when they speak of a "comforter".