Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's an indictment of Bill's decision making.

I get the situation with his kids. It totally sucks, but I can understand why he's doing it. He wants his kids to succeed and to learn how to coach in the NFL and follow in his footsteps. But what the gently caress is his obsession with losers like Patricia and Judge? I could understand if he hired those two and made Judge ST coach again, or gave Patricia some bullshit assistant role in the defense. Whatever. But he must *really* believe they are capable coaches, otherwise why would he put them in charge of an entire side of the ball. For me this is a major red flag of just how bad Belichick has become at evaluating not just players, but also coaches. I think he may be so far up his own rear end, and may have bought into his own legacy too much, that he can't even see another way of operating.

The worst part is that this could very well gently caress up the development of Mac Jones, who looked promising enough as a rookie and could be in an excellent position to take a huge step forward his second year the way other rookie QBs like Burrow, Goff, and Wentz did. But instead of trying to find a promising OC candidate in his organization or on another team that got overlooked, Bill decided to go with two egomaniacs who bombed as head coaches and have no real experience on the offensive side of things.

I really wonder what went on behind the scenes with McDaniel that made him wait for another HC shot and then choose the Raiders. Of course the backing out from the Colts job is well-documented, and he did stick around in the post-Brady era and prove he was a fine OC on his own (even if he had little to work with besides the corpse of Cam Newton), but I wonder if he really was sticking around to take over the Patriots and then just got impatient that Bill was still going. Also makes me wonder how much the Bucs SB win may have affected Bill.

But hey, all empires must fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

From what I remember from past threads, the official word was something about McDaniels not getting to have control over small things that coaches usually get control over, just weird semantics like that, and that's what caused him to bail. Who knows how accurate any of that is, but it's all we really have to work with.

I have some morbid curiousity about the behind-the-scenes stuff for the Pats the past couple years though, particularly why McDaniels chose now of all times to get a HC job again after bailing on the Colts a few years prior. Not like he needed to prove he could run a competent offense without Brady, he's a Belicheck assistant so he's pretty much guaranteed a job.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Pretty sure there were Packers fans here arguing that Hackett was a good hire because Rodgers liked him, which, lol, lmao.

Gase got two jobs because of Peyton Manning. Hell, McCarthy probably owes a lot of his current job to Rodgers.

Owners are dumb.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So if the NFL would cut the first half from all future games then they'd be one of the best teams in the league!

There are no flaws in this math.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

hello my fellow gentlemen, let us partake in a game of the football on this fine day

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you ignore the last 11 games, Matt Rhule ended the season on a three game winning streak.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That number will probably be accurate next week.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

epic bacon posted:

whoever hires Steve Belichick is my 2nd favorite team immediately

Bill retires, and as a favor Kraft promotes Steve to HC. Steve keeps Patricia as OC and names Judge DC.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Geno Smith

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Wentz is still pretty young, he just happens to play like an old washed-up QB.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kalli posted:

Might come off a bit better if the other three teams in his division weren't winning with a backup, an injured reclamation of Daniel Jones and the emergence of a dude who everyone thought sucked in Hurts

Yet Carson Wentz is still significantly worse than those three.

Even ignoring Hurts, Daniel Jones can actually lead game-winning drives (and he did help lead a comeback against the Packers), and Rush isn't making costly mistakes like Wentz constantly does. Wentz is an active liability compared even to loving Heinicke.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 10, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Like, I could understand Kyler because he was a #1 overall pick and has shown flashes of brilliance here and there, but Kliff getting an extension after multiple years of late season swoons and that embarrassing thrashing by the Rams in the playoffs was insane. This should’ve been his prove it year.

He's certainly proving something this year!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I havent done a deep dive on it but I feel like Tannehill has taken a bit of a step back since Arthur Smith took the Atlanta job, so I have to wonder if Arthur was the key cog in Tannehill being really good for his first few seasons in Tennessee? If so I wonder what kind of work he'll be able to do with Ridder.

A lot of that is due to not having AJ Brown and Julio Jones for parts of 2021, and the O-Line becoming garbage this year. That said, Tannehill's still fine and not close to the main issue with the current Tits offense, but a large part is that our current OC is also bad while Smith was a big reason the Titans took a step forward on offense (though Tannehill being more aggressive than Mariota and having AJ Brown helped a ton).

Arthur Smith seems to be figuring things out and has the Falcons playing well. Mariota seems like a slightly improved version of his Tennessee self, and he has good weapons to work with and a good defense to help him out. No clue how Ridder will do but I think if he has talent Smith is one of the better coaches to bring it out of him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Imagine if Brady did go to Miami and played as badly as he's playing in Tampa.

At least the Bucs got a couple good seasons and a Super Bowl win before Brady fell apart. Miami dodged a bullet thanks to their general incompetence, the owner's love of obscufation, and Adarn.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

To be fair, the Broncos did get a second Peyton Manning.

It just happened to be the 2015 version.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The problem for the 49ers is you're really going to struggle to find a coach that'll do better than Shanahan. Two deep playoff runs when your team is actually healthy is nothing to sneeze at, and there's always the chance the next coach is a mediocre 7-10 retread or an inept disaster like Hackett or Meyer.

I honestly think it'd be hard for the 49ers to improve coaching-wise. Who out there would be a potentially better get than Shanahan?

e: Not to mention Jed York apparently learned his lesson the last time he fired a coach that made the Super Bowl.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's funny that the complete lack of interest in Jimmy G may ultimately help Shanahan/Lynch out since at least he's arguably the best backup they could've had considering his experience in the system.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sexy and smart. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I prefer watching the XFL MVP beating an an NFL MVP

Mega64
May 23, 2008

wandler20 posted:

Jags sure dodged that bullet.

A shame about the fifty other bullets they've caught.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Irsay went for the tank too late though, even with Saturday he's gonna have to fight to get last place in his own division. Hell, the Colts have a tough road just to out-Jags the Jags.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Titans would be undefeated if it weren't for the refs (and also the offense being bad in the games they lost (and the offense being bad in the games they won didn't help either)).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think Kyler is...fine. He's firmly above the Dalton line and can actually win games, but he's far from elite. He's probably on the Derek Carr/Dak Prescott tier, mostly competent and good, occasionally even great, but also makes dumb mistakes and really needs good coaching and a solid core around him to succeed. And that "good coaching" part is why all three of them have like one playoff victory between them.

I don't have faith in Kliff. He should be the expendable one of the two. Yeah, the Cards can do better than Murray, but I think they can do much better than Kliff. The offense looks so god drat uninspired when they're missing players like Nuk, and the team has constantly underperformed in the second half of seasons under him. This should be a great opportunity to take the division with the Rams vulnerable, the Niners kinda muddled a bit, and the Seahawks kinda rebuilding, yet they're currently third with an underwhelming 4-6 record and yet again are probably gonna miss the playoffs. There's nothing really inspiring about the Cards besides a few key players on offense and defense doing a load of the work, the coaching itself is pretty meh and uninspiring and probably the bigger factor in how bad they really are.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Let's be fair.

Mark only owns 47 percent of the Raiders

The refs own the other 53 percent.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Russ gonna ride to new heights today.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Simplex posted:

Unless those plays are out of the Seahawks playbook Russ isn't going to know them.

The playbook is entirely endzone picks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

tarbrush posted:

He might be the only head coach to go into a situation and bring is his own medical team.

Which would be a scary prospect for the rest of the league

Watch that be a dealbreaker for Spanos.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

BlindSite posted:

I know everyone likes to poo poo on QAaron now but the fact that GB only got one ring out of one of the best pure passers in NFL history is just as bad.

I mean I agree but I don't see how Rodgers being poo poo relates to Favre only getting one ring.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cavauro posted:

harbaugh to the browns

Harbrown

We could get The Harbaugh Bowl twice a year!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Old Harbrowns vs New Harbrowns vs Picksburgh vs the Mighty Young Joes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Carr's good enough that I wouldn't complain about having him, especially with how he's looked considering who's been coaching him so far. He's top 15 for sure, maybe even top 10.

Too bad he pissed off the refs so much that they go out of their way to screw him over.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd say Tannehill = Carr > Geno, but that's mainly because I want to see more than one season of Geno, plus he's kinda had more bad moments the past several weeks.

As a Titans fan though I'm happy with Tannehill (besides how he sucks in the playoffs) and wouldn't mind Carr if we had him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, when I said I wanted to wait to see on Geno I wasn't talking poo poo on him, guy's having a legit good season and the Seahawks could be a fiesty wild card team (assuming they don't take the division outright). Carroll would be a solid CotY candidate if not from fierce competition from Daboll and Sirianni, among many others.

The first-year coaches in general this year are very boom-or-bust. Daboll and O'Connell have their teams in dominant form, while Lovie and Hackett are making serious arguments for one-and-done.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I suspect since the Giants' have faded a bit Daboll's COTY candidacy has lost some shine. Seems like if the Eagles finish strong it's gotta be Sirianni.

True, but the fact that the Giants will likely have a winning season with that roster is still a good argument for Daboll. Imagine how the Giants will look once they have any offensive weapons besides Barkley, let alone a real QB!

e:

Professor Funk posted:

AFCE bias but I feel like Saleh and McDaniel both have to strongly be in the conversation. And honestly I might take either over Sirianni, as good as the Eagles have been.

Both are also true. Hell, avoiding the sunk cost fallacy and immediately benching Wilson after refusing to take blame for his lovely play should be enough to put Saleh in the conversation, let alone getting the Jets in playoff contention.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 1, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The best part is thanks to Russ they'll stipl have a high draft pick they can use to draft a franchise QB, another elite player, or to trade back for a bunch of picks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Congrats Kawalimus

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Christmas Country

Let's Ride

Mega64
May 23, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If your argument includes the phrase “lucky he has Geno” you may want to reconsider it.

You could always do worse than Geno Smith, like Aaron Rodgers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

And like five offensive drafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

And also him being an rear end in a top hat is more of a public persona to spite the media. I mean, he's still an rear end in a top hat, but to the players he's more of a lovable rear end in a top hat that tries to bring the best from them, as opposed to the idiot assholes in Belicheck's tree who don't understand the level of nuance it takes to be a successful rear end in a top hat rather than a regular garbage rear end in a top hat.