Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ugggggh, 14 Pro or 14 Pro Max? The Pro Max is obnoxiously big, but also it seems people are having pretty bad battery life on the regular sized Pro. I have a 13 Pro 128GB, and I wouldn’t even be considering an upgrade, except it’s starting to feel a little cramped and Verizon is offering me $1000 for it if I trade it in on an upgrade. Figure I’d just opt for the 1TB model so I’ll never have to actually worry about storage again, but if the 14 Pro’s battery is worse than the 13 Pro, then I’m not so sure.

Fwiw I had a 128GB iPhone 12 mini that I loved the size of, but the battery life on it was so bad I couldn’t even make it through my 8 hour day at work before it was into power saving mode. I got the 13 Pro because of the battery life issues on the 12 mini, and I don’t want to put myself in the same position again where I’m worried the phone will die before I get off work at 4pm every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

This is a bit ironic for me in particular to ask: but if you have the 13 pro, why are you upgrading already?

Disclosure: i upgrade every year, so I went from the 13 pro to 14 pro.

To answer your battery question: yeah the 12 mini battery was reviewed as being bad and a deal breaker. I had by the 13 pro and 14 pro, imo battery is fantastic on both. I can be out and about for a day, they’ll get through it.

I would only get the max if you want that size phone comfort wise. Same here, max is too big so I didn’t buy it. Otherwise , get a regular size pro.

Looking at upgrading quite specifically due to Verizon offering me $1000 in trade-in credit for the phone I paid $1000 for back in 2021. Storage concerns on my 13 Pro are something of a justification, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t worry about my device’s storage utilization fairly often.

Otherwise, good to hear the battery life is comparable between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro in your experience. I think tech reviewers hyping up the Pro Max skewed my perception of what “good battery life” actually is.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Went ahead and ordered the 14 Pro non-Max. Went to Bullstrap.co to get a new case to go with it, redeemed some loyalty points for a $15 coupon, and had a BOGO 50% off deal. Well the BOGO deal wouldn’t let me use my $15 off reward code, so if anyone wants it PM me or something. Don’t want it to go to waste.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Minidust posted:

I was looking at the leather cases for new phones, and I see they aren't open on the bottom anymore?? How much of a lip is there? I guess this is because they switched back to more defined edges on the phone after the 11... but I've gotten really used to smooth flicking "Home" gesture with the 11-era open case design, seems like it'd be a shame to lose that.

The official Apple cases are all like that and have a small lip that does keep the screen off of a table. Many 3rd party leather cases still leave the bottom open though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

Buy an apple watch to save your fingers.

Honestly I expected Apple to never add AOD to iPhone simply because it seemed like "buy an Apple Watch," was their answer to it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Do we talk about cases in here? Just got the Bullstrap case for my 14 Pro. Case on the left is for the 14P, one on the right is my 13P’s case after 16 months of daily use, was originally the same color as the 14P’s case.

Picked up the South Beach case for my mom as well.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

holy poo poo guys the iphone 13 is out in finland

Inner Light posted:

Do they have remote money transferring capability and postal mail in Finland

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some context in your post about why you are excited that an old phone is for sale in Finland might have helped. Is it normal that you guys run two years behind or something?

Pretty sure he means it’s on sale, as in has a limited time promotional discount, instead of for sale. Since he’s in Finland I’m assuming English isn’t his primary language, and it makes sense that a non-native speaker might get something like “for sale” and “on sale” mixed up. Also seems the sale being mentioned is only going on in brick & mortar stores in specific cities, so he’s not able to get it at the discount without traveling to do so.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I’m going to die on this hill so I asked chatgpt what “for sale” means:

The term “for sale” refers to an item, product, or property that is available to be purchased by a potential buyer. When something is for sale, it means that the owner or seller is willing to exchange the item for a certain amount of money or other agreed-upon terms of payment. The phrase “for sale” is commonly used in advertising and commerce to indicate that an item is on the market and open to negotiation or purchase.

I asked chatgpt what the difference between "on sale" and "for sale" is. Whether you meant "for" or "on" seems largely a moot point now though, so good luck on getting an iPhone at an acceptable price.

Chat GPT posted:

When something is for sale, it means that it is available to be purchased at its regular price.

On the other hand, when something is on sale, it means that it is available to be purchased at a discounted price for a limited time. The discount may be a percentage off the regular price, a set amount off the regular price, or a special package deal that offers more value than usual.

So, the main difference between something being for sale and on sale is that the former refers to the regular price of an item, while the latter refers to a temporary discounted price.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I got three months of Walmart+ free with YouTube premium (and that gave my three months of Paramount+ for free)

So off topic from WalmartPay/Walmart+, I had a subscription for Paramount+ signed up through my iPhone, and saw a deal through Verizon where if you pay for a year of Paramount+ all at once you’d get a free year of Netflix. I had to let the Paramount+ subscription lapse before I could switch the billing to Verizon though, so I let that happen and I continued to have access to Paramount+ with a cancelled subscription. Apparently there is some bug where if you have a sub to Paramount+ through Apple and cancel it you stop being billed, but still have full access. This prevented me from getting the year of Netflix since I can’t switch the billing over since they still think I’m subscribing through Apple.

No guarantees it’ll work for anyone else, but I haven’t paid for Paramount+ in over two months, and there are folks on Reddit who claim to have had this going on for over a year.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Friend accidentally got windshield wiper fluid on my phone screen and watch. Just a few drops.

..So how hosed am I? I'm thinking about making an appointment to the Apple Store on Monday since they both have Apple Care on them.

Are you licking your phone screen or something?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just wipe the drat screen down with a phone screen safe alcohol wipe or something. It’s fine. It’s not like you got brake fluid or gasoline all over it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

That would actually be worse than the wiper fluid

In that it would do anything at all? Yeah, agreed.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Corb3t posted:

It’s amazing how many articles there are out there where an Apple Watch detects an irregular heartbeat, life-threatening fall, or somebody lost in a ravine and ends up saving their life. I even see redditors posting about it fairly often on Apple subreddits.

It only works if the person actually lets it work though. Couple years ago my mother fell off the ladder going into the attic, landed on the garage floor and shattered her wrist and broke her femur at the femoral neck, requiring a bunch of metal plates and big-rear end screws to fix,, and when her watch was all “hey, that seemed like a pretty bad fall, do you want to call 911?” she canceled it. So like, I guess just make sure they understand what the watch can do and the sorts of the situations where they should let it do what it does.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone find the 14 super touchy with wireless charges? The sweet spot seems tiny compared to my XR and it’s not unusual for me to wake up in the AM with a mostly dead phone because it got knocked a millimeter or whatever. Pretty annoying.

Had this happen multiple times since getting a 14 Pro. In my instance it's the jumbo sized camera bump not letting the phone sit flush on my wireless charging stand.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

buglord posted:

It’s entirely about the iMessage features, facetime, and knowing a video sent won’t get all mega compressed.

Would be nice if people actually talked about those things though instead of just being reductive about “uGh a gReEn tExT, DiSgUsTiNg” all the time. Yeah, there is a weird teen social pressure deal about green vs blue texts, but adults should be able to address the annoyances without just falling back on that. Personally the media compression is the only benefit I get out of iMessage, since I don’t use FaceTime, or any other video chatting app for that matter, and don’t use iMessage extra features unironically.

That said, I have seen grown rear end people bully another adult into buying an iPhone because of the whole green text thing back in the 5S days because people are just that broke brained.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sometimes Siri decides my work is my home. Sometimes Siri also thinks I work someplace other than exactly where I set my workplace as. Basically it’s just Siri being garbage.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

catte

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

My airpods pro 1 got refused from free repairs. Is there any goon consensus for decent earbuds with active echo cancellation that aren't apple but work with apple kit?

It’s not goon consensus (goonsensus?), but I have a pair of Sony’s catchily named WF-1000XM4 earbuds that work pretty dang well. They don’t support Siri, so that might be a dealbreaker for you, but since I don’t use Siri unless I absolutely have to it’s an omission I don’t notice.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Given that most of my messages comes from teams or whatsapp, siri is not important. How is the battery life? Four hours or more between slotting the earbuds in the case?

I want to say I get around five-ish hours between having to put them in their charge case with ANC on. If you use them with something that supports LDAC then that’ll be lower, but the iPhone doesn’t support that codec. Sony is pretty proud of their earbuds though and charge quite a bit for it. I like the buds, but absolutely you should try to get them on sale instead of at their $280 USD msrp.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I'll keep an eye out during next week amazon prime days, they usually discounts sony xm buds during those

The Sony LinkBuds S seems to be pretty highly favored by people as well, especially in the microphone department as it seems they might have better mics than the 1000XM4 buds, and they’re $80 USD cheaper at MSRP to boot. This is the LinkBuds S though, not the regular LinkBuds with the weird open-back design thing.

E: fwiw I’m not super hard on my earbuds. I mostly use them when I’m doing a specific task at work that requires me to sit at my desk and work an excel sheet for six-seven hours one day a week. All other times I’m using them are pretty sporadic. Don’t want to come off like a Sony shill, I’ve just personally liked the set I have, which I used to replace a set of original AirPods Pro that hosed up and died a month after their warranty expired.

Corb3t posted:

I love my Sony bluetooth cans, I'm curious how good non-Airpods are at handing off audio between Apple devices - has anybody tried it with a MacBook and iPhone? Switching between my MacBook and iPhone with AirPod Pros in is seamless for me - if I'm using my AirPods with my MacBook and I pick up my phone to take a call, the AirPod Pros switch instantaneously.

They do not switch seamlessly like this, at least not for me. I do have to go to the BT menu and tell it to connect. They support multipoint, but I’ve had some issues with that working consistently across Apple devices. If that seamless transfer is super important, I’d recommend sticking with AirPods.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 8, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I care about people not seeing me out and about with the peasant edition though.

Praying and pleading that this is you being facetious, but holy smokes if it’s not and you actually give a poo poo about that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone try the creepy personal voice on 17 beta yet? I painstakingly read all 150 phrases yesterday over 20-25 mins but it just tells me I need my phone locked and charging before it’ll process it, which it has been multiple times.

Not attempting to poo-poo the idea, and this may speak to me being able bodied, but I really don’t get what this is useful for. It’s in accessibility settings, so obviously it’s supposed to be helpful, but I don’t really get what problem it solves?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

It’s for folks who know they are going to be losing their voice at some point. It’s a means to be able to ask for stuff when that happens but still using “your” voice even if it sounds super robotic still.

That makes perfect sense! Obviously was lost on me since that's not something I'd even considered happening. Glad there are folks in tech who do think about this kinda stuff instead of just regular tech bros trying to one-up each other.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I continue to stand by Bullstrap for my leather cases. Yeah they’re expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty that includes cosmetic damage replacement. They patina amazingly too.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

About a month or so. They usually put up preorders when Apple announces the new iPhones.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

American McGay posted:

I’ve got no problem with the basic Apple leather ones, but the patina on it is kinda gross and someone mentioned Bullstrap earlier in the thread and they look like pretty decent. How’s the feel though? Are they relatively soft like the Apple leather ones? That’s probably what I like most about them, how comfortable they feel in the hand.

The word that comes to mind when thinking about how Bullstrap cases feel is "supple." They have a nice soft very mildly squishy feel to them. The buttons are in a layer between the leather and the inner microfiber lining and they feel good enough IMO. They don't have any protective coating or anything on them, so they will develop patina pretty quickly. I always get the regular saddle brown and within a couple months it's very apparent. I've had one on my 14 Pro since January and it has taken on a cognac color.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Settings > Sound & Haptics > Keyboard Feedback. There are separate toggles for sound and haptics.

e: oh shortcut action. Yeah I don’t think so other than just flicking the mute switch. Haptics will still go if you have them enabled in settings though.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 20, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Press and hold on what you want moved down into “more” and drag it to the bottom of the screen and I’ll pull it down into that sub menu. Likewise press and hold on what you want moved up or rearranged and drag them around.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My brother is the only instance I've ever actually heard of someone having their phone stolen at gunpoint, and the phone was only taken so he couldn't call 911 right away because his phone absolutely wasn't worth stealing.

It's not a widespread issue, but media does like to fearmonger about the roving bands of phone thieves.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

withak posted:

Anywhere but Phoenix.

Careful, they might just move to Tucson.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rick posted:

People have lived in Tucson for over a thousand years.

Well who's fault is that?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

lol internet. posted:

Just started using this girly rear end iphone.

Any recommendations for a file explorer application? I'd like to access the file system through a web browser (http/lovely password) to download/upload pictures from my computer and if worse comes to worse FTP.

I don't mind paying but I do not want a subscription. If there is a better way to do this let me know, I don't want to plugin the drat cable.

In the Android world I used FX File Explorer.

I wasn't aware that phones were gendered, but regardless of that you're in for a really bad time with that iPhone. As mentioned going through iCloud.com is about the closest you're gonna get to what you want, and you're going to find it exceedingly lacking based on what you're used to. Apple obfuscates the real iOS file system, and I don't think they're ever going to change from that.

Additionally,

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

I’m pretty sure the 13 and 14 are pretty much the same no? The 15 is the one that’s a bit newer.

The 14 is a 13 Pro SoC in a shittier dress, and the 13 Pro SoC iirc only has like one more GPU core than the regular 13 SoC did so it really doesn't make a difference. Go for the 13 since it'll be $100 cheaper than the 14 unless she's getting a carrier deal where the 14 will be free (and look if the 15 might have a similar or better promotion on it while she's at it).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

They should handle those type of fixes like how they do on MacOS. By default MacOS installs security response and system file updates automatically without the user even noticing. It's turned on by default.

I have literally never experienced any version of MacOS, going back to 10.5, install any kind update without express user authorization. You've either enabled something or have this setting turned on by a device policy. They get pushy, like xzzy said, but they don't just install themselves without user input by default.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

track day bro! posted:

I got the 15 Pro in natural titanium but geez the pro colours are boring this year. Where's my purple titanium phone tim apple

Slap it into one of the Bondi Blue Spigen C1 Classic cases.

https://www.spigen.com/collections/iphone-15-series-collection/products/iphone-15-series-case-classic-c1-magfit?variant=41717027635247

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Holy poo poo

It's also available in Ruby Red and Graphite, but we all know the right choice is Bondi Blue.

Amazon has it for $30, and then has a 5% off coupon you can clip, and then at checkout if you enter helloagain20 you might get another 20% off (code seems to be hit an miss for people).

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 4, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Spigen sells mostly through Amazon at like half or less than the prices on their own site and I’m not really sure what they gain from this.

I think it’s probably a Black Friday fake-discount kind of thing. Their site shows an inflated price that some people might pay, but they likely know the majority of folks will then go to Amazon and see how much cheaper it is there and think “wow, what a deal, it’s half off, I should buy it!” And if that isn’t the instance now, and they’re doing it because they’ve always done it this way, then it definitely started as a fake-discount thing.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

pzy posted:

Edit: Also I thought it was multiple pieces, but I'm dumb and that was just for illustrative purposes. It's nicely put together and fits precisely.

It is multiple pieces :eng101:

There is a flexible silver inner piece for the phone, and then the Bondi Blue hard shell and the translucent white bottom part go on over that silver inner piece.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

FCKGW posted:

The real answer is that every mapping program is gonna have some weird, showstopper quirk that fucks up your commute so you need to test a couple and pick the least bad option.

Apple Maps: Drive through every avoidable school zone on the commute.
Google Maps: Use this dirt road that actually makes the commute longer.
In-car Navigation: Keep taking highway exits and then immediately get back on the highway. Also use that dirt road and those school zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve been using this case for the past few days and while it’s nice for protection in case you’re hiking or doing something where you might reasonably drop your phone, it does make the phone slightly uncomfortable to use one-handed.

Naked Pro is still the way to go.

Using it on a 15PM myself and it does add a good amount of bulk to it. I’d like to use the phone caseless, but the wobble when on a desk from the camera module is too much for me. I’ll probably keep using this case until my Bullstrap sienna case comes in.