Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
There is a pretty pricey exception to the throw everything out of your inventory rule. You will receive one or two thavnairian onions during your questing. Those are used in leveling your chocobro past level 10 and go for about 100,000 a pop on the market board. Don't vendor or discard those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Other than recognizing and taking advantage of short time opportunities that come up, it's best to just come to grips with gil not coming in big chunks reliably. Most of my gil from crafting is just running macros for scrips or leves while watching something on the tv or another monitor. It's not Big Money but it adds up over time. I usually go Alchemist for this but I'm pretty sure Culinarian has some popular recipes. Check your collectables tab and the leves npc (check lower than max leves as well - i think coffee biscuits are still pretty decent) and find something that's easy to gather in bulk or something your retainers can get you easily. Than just grind away when you have down time.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Gunmetal black took a chunk of my expensive black dye needs. Easy to get with Fete or Island currency and gives a nice black leather look to gear.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
dps remains the coolest of the roles and no amount of tank or healer talk has been able to budge me on that stance :colbert:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

God Hole posted:

Could someone repost that Blue Mage effort post about getting started with the job? I'm having a hard time locating it

Here ya go

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

That Little Demon posted:

These Motherfuckers....

I killed Ifrit you stupid fucks!

They had to know if you got a hard carry in Ifrit

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you're a lalafell they sit on top of your head

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

The fact it takes 100+ hours to get to "the good part" is insane and should be criticized.

You're doing it though, aren't ya? lol all 100 hours

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Alxprit posted:

I enjoyed playing through ARR because I liked the gameplay. But I'm known to be a pretty easy to please person that would be satisfied by even the tiniest bit of number go up.

lol same - and all those zones with side quests to clean off the map

very satisfying to my sicko brain

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Five pages of top tier content

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Serperoth posted:

Today I learned that you can get more than one collectible out of a node by saving some integrity.

I've been playing (with a few huge gaps admittedly) since the 2.x patches :negative:

There's also a skill that can return you 1 integrity and can proc a free 2nd integrity

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Doomykins posted:

The climbs in quality between expansions are pretty amazing. Going from ARR Primals to Ravana is quite a thing. The raid chains you unlock at 60 are :discourse:

The music for the normal 60 raids are some of my favorites in the whole game. Just cranking that up every time I'm in there.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Note that the last dozen pages or so have ranged from vaguely spoilery to outright spoilery to anyone still in ARR.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

1stGear posted:

Look, Balmung is a perfectly respectable server as long as you don't turn on a blacklight.

Red Mage LB3 ain't got nothing on this.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

You can’t? It’s been the entire journey for me for whatever reason lol. People are so defensive about games they like

I think he's talking about long quest lines hidden behind a regular old side quest, not grief over your opinions.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If anyone has time and interest in how 1.0 went horribly wrong and what went into saving the game noclip's documentary on ffxiv 1.0 is a good watch. Footage of the game and interviews with the people who worked on both 1.0 and arr.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you search the name of the instance and select the ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com result they have a list of rewards at the bottom of the page.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
My first time through Prae in ARR was me and another first timer getting left behind at the first teleporter (these were not locked behind killing the first pack so the meta was just to bum-rush the teleporter and spam interact on it), dying and respawning in time to enter the first cutscene, finishing that cutscene straight into the next and so on until the last boss was killed. Got out of the last cutscene to see party chat full of lols at the "Warriors of Light"

It sucked and I'm glad it's gone.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Gendry nailed that line. What a change from ARR level voice acting.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I always liked Civilizations because it reminded me so much of the October Project, a pop band from the nineties I used to listen to.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

hopeandjoy posted:

Since I doubt they’re going to want to make a whole new base body or use the male roe body, Hrothgals are 100% going to be fuzzy femroes with a lioness head.

Just give them a calico skin option and call it a day.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Also, unless you are on a preferred server with the Road to 80 buff you need to run roulettes daily to level 2-3 jobs at once. I've found (I'm an altaholic) that MSQ alone doesn't even cover 2 jobs once you approach the end of ARR. This game makes it very easy to level jobs up even without MSQ xp so only bother switching jobs around if you really want to.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

In some ways I miss fate grinding in Northern Thanalan. Remember when Dark Devices was glitched and spawned infinite adds that gave pretty good experience?

Stop killing the lambs!!!!!!!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The interactions in the Waking Sands storeroom were a little interesting, but man the Rising Stones have some real gems talking to all the Scions and Co between missions. Highly recommend talking to everyone there between quests.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You will also need to do the hard mode primals to enter Heavensward. If you haven't done them yet, they start with a side quest given by Minfilia. Also highly recommend finding someone to run you through the Bahamut raid. The raids are very tough, but can be breezed through with the help of a lvl 90 using the Unrestricted Party option in Duty Finder. The raid's story is a very good wrap up of what happened during the Calamity.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

Merlwyb was alright. Didn't really stand out. I usually port to Limsa Lominsa as my home base though since it's connected to The Rising Stones, though since I got pager from them, I get the feeling I might not need to go there much anymore. I also just like the vibe of Limsa Lominsa more.

Merlwyb's English VA was Skyrim's Meridia (the amazing Jean Gilpin). A soon as she spoke I heard "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON!" in my head. One of the few downgrades of the new voice crew. Not that the "new" Merlwyb is bad, but ARR's version was fantastic.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Using two hotbars just for tracking cooldowns and procs made red mage so much easier for me. Just a quick glance to the left of my character gives me so much information. I don't really need the Jolt icon but I had it there when I took the pic to remind myself i was in content that allowed the finisher combo.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nitrousoxide posted:

I did like in the Company of Heroes quests how Y'shtola was like "I'm not the only one losing my mind here at this fetch quest right?"

I liked the contrast between her being all indignant and me just shrugging my shoulders and wondering if I'll be in the desert long enough to need to change clothes. Got all that done in a few hours and still had time to eat a kickass meal. Ya need to chill babe. The Warrior of Light's got this.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You can get personal buffs similar to FC buffs. I use +15% Grand Company seal ones frequently and the +15% MGP are good if the FC is slow switching buffs over in time for Cactpot.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

AndrewP posted:

I'm not actually going to buy a skip, these late 20s quests were just the first time I wondered if I could because boy what a slog

I don't think I've soured on the ARR story, it doesn't even feel like it's really started yet. I'm too busy doing a dance for three sylphs. C'mon Square, that's sidequest filler, don't make me do that.

Fighting Ifrit with a party of real people was cool though.

It used to be dancing for like seven people!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Later on the NPCs aren't an unnamed crew but your MSQ pals. The game tends away from the solo WoL "party" and more to a usual FF-style group of characters solving the world's problems together and for some of us it feels good to do the canon run of dungeons with the party members who have been with you up to that point. This change to your fellow Scions actually working with the WoL in a more tangible way is one of the ways the MSQ gets better in later expansions IMO.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Whatever you do don't accidentally mouse over the spoiler in the post above mine. A big spoiler hidden in a tiny post.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
In the end I preferred Ul'Dah, which has everything within spitting distance of an aetheryte unlike Limsa and Gridania sending me to the Anchor Yard or Apkallu Falls multiple times. Even as a newbie, the starter Ul'Dah quests send you in a circle around the city letting you easily collect all the aetherytes in one quick circuit.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you ever want to do crafting and gathering for the beast tribes associated with them (do this - they are all top notch) you'll be happy you did those dozens of Churning Mists quests ahead of time

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Quests you should do: All of them :colbert:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Can't wait for the first game to use AI to get the game to audibly say your name in a cutscene

Urianger: "The survivors gather, xxxSephiroth420 Gothgirlxxx and ignite a fiery dawn to burn away the glowering shroud. Ah, but destiny, thou art beautiful..."

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm never getting those 5 second back SE! :argh:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

snoremac posted:

It interests me that that's even a possibility. What else would they be doing that takes up as much time as healing does?

A fair number of people in roulettes are people leveling jobs they have no interest in actually playing well and just want the numbers to go up.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I've become pretty ruthless over the years with my inventory. Drops from leveling don't accumulate in useful amounts, so they go. The hundred different types of food quests give you? I just vendor it. A stack of eggs gives you the only really useful food stat for leveling, the xp buff. Gear I only keep if I really like the look. Otherwise it's sell or seals. I have extra retainers so I try to sell them there, but only if I can get more than a 1000g or so. If I had only two retainers I'd bump that up much more. Maybe it's not the most efficient but I remember what my bags and retainers used to look like and I'm much happier this way. The leveling process is long and you will pick up A LOT of stuff. Get on top of it early and make your future self's life easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
You can hold 30 quests in your journal so you can just hang on to extreme quests if you want. To keep them from cluttering your UI you can open your Journal, look for the little box to the right of the quest and click it twice. First time will keep the quest active in your UI no matter what, the second will prevent it from showing even if you have no other quests.

Sorry if this is stuff you already know but some people might not.

edit - Also later extreme quests will only unlock them and you can do them whenever without an active quest.