Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Sure would love to fire up some OW1 mystery heroes to relax after work like usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Waited out the queue, game doesn't automatically fill account name and password. If you get your password wrong you have to wait the entire queue again, good stuff.

I got it right and it still threw me back.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Splinter posted:

The new content is the old content, it just plays a bit differently, outside of the 2CP maps being gone.

Wait, Valskya, Hanmura, Lunar Colony, Paris, Anubis, etc are gone? I loved those maps!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Man push si a truly terrible game mode. You can get a full team wipe on defense and it means literally nothing because by the time you finish walking the robot back the entire enemy team has spawned.

Yeah, can't believe all the cool 2CP maps died for this crap.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Hypnolobster posted:

All I really want back is 2cp defending against double shield with stuns.

HOW I YEARN FOR THE DAYS OF THE PAST.

We never knew how good we had it

Chinatown posted:

initial impressions: i like the new sound design

Even Pharah's rockets?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Lol, the one hour I was gonna play today

Sign from God to do something useful I suppose.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Is there a way to tell when teammates are in a group like their was in OW1? I haven't seen any indicators but maybe I've only been playing with solo queuers?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Splinter posted:

I think if you're in role queue you can't tell, and it was this way in OW1 after role queue was added as well. I believe the reason is with role queue, your team display is now organized by role, so they aren't always able to group groupmates next to each other depending on what roles they've landed. They could of course find another way to show who is grouped while in role queue, but I think this is why that change was initially made.

Mystery Heroes, specifically. I didn't realize it varied by mode in OW1.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

Temple of Anubis removal alone does actually make OW2 better than OW1, gently caress that stage for real

It had the best Torb turret spot in the whole game, and for that I'm heartbroken

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Turret is only a small part of Torb's charm, the best is countersniping widows with M1, also great is popping E and blowing the poo poo out of a Roadhog that thought he caught a squishy.

Also the funnest ult in the game

Suck it nerds :cool:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Anyone know how I got to 5,000,000 MIT as Ana? Never seen that before. It was in MH.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Does anyone even notice other people's skins? I think the last time I went 'wow that looks cool' was in the first year of OW1, after that they just all sort of blurred together.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Push maps are a drag, back and forth, back and forth. Starting to just quit and requeue when I see one.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Alternatively you could not support lovely business practices.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Imagine seeing that excellent Junkrat clip and going UHH BUHH WAY TO THROW instead of nodding sagely

Right? That was the best thing in the thread for at least a dozen pages.

I miss all the old maps a lot, except Blizzworld.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

dogstile posted:

Nah they should put stuns back to other characters. I get what they were going for but well, have you played support recently?

Then again I legitimately think OW2 is a step down in almost every way from 1, so YMMV

Agreed, even after I got OW2 beta access I played a few rounds then just went back to 1. Until the jerks took that way from me :mad:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Live At Five! posted:

I'm a new bad player, but I've really clicked with Mei. I hardly see anyone play her, is it just because dps tier lists online say she's bad? I'd rather play someone I click with than chase some meta poo poo.

Mei is super fun. For all I bitch about Blizzard, they do a good job of making most heroes feel powerful to play, and Mei is way up there for me. Headshotting a widow with RMB, blocking in a greedy chaser with wall, or just wrecking an enemy push single-handedly with ult feels so good.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

lol thats a big no on paying for some presumably half assed pve ill just watch someone stream it for the lore and be good thanks blizzard

If it was free I might have tried it for 5 minutes and then abandoned it (just like all the PVE events). Paying? lol

Fundamentally I just want a goofy fun FPS game to relax with and shoot things, not loot boxes and battle passes and all this nonsense. I'd happily have paid 60 bucks for an OW2 that was just a better OW1 but instead they'll never see a dime from me.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

SirKibbles posted:

The issue like most things with Overwatch is Blizzard fumbled the bag and took too long from launch and in the meantime Riot dropped Valorant which is the direction OW should've gone (on top of Riot poaching their people by paying more than the lowest wages)

What? Valorant is miserable, no. Some of us like fun battles, not just dying instantly because we moved wrong once or whatever.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

tyrelhill posted:

yea you cant take the game seriously anymore, just qp in comp and dgaf about losing

This is the way. Having a great time!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Inept posted:

flashpoint is dumb. you sometimes literally can't get to the next point before it unlocks if you win the previous point, so the other team can set up to defend it before you even get there

I just find it kinda meh, at least better than the loving push maps though, I don't insta-quit out of flashpoint like I do with those. I miss Volskaya, Hanamura, etc so much. :(

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just wish we could select what game-modes we actually want to queue for

Yeah, and at least let us pick a few maps we never want to play.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Every 2CP map seemed to be built with the direction "put in an extremely obnoxious choke point that it sucks to push into". It's telling that all modifications made to those maps after release were attempts to mitigate said choke points, when really they needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.

I loved those choke points, just fun and chaos and death, especially with 6v6. RIP.

The reason I hate push maps is you spend half the time running across an empty map to get a fight in a giant open area, boring as hell.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Lord Packinham posted:

All the new heroes aren’t even as cool and interesting as the original heroes. It just seems an excuse to sell more cosmetics.

I never really thought about it, but you're right. I think Echo was the last hero where I was like wow, this is cool and fun and different (but still nowhere near as unique and cool as say a Roadhog or Pharah)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

They took away a game I paid money for and gave me a worse game in every way with 100% more microtransactions. Blizzard is loving trash.

I remember when Activision bought them and swore up and down nothing would change and it would still be the great Blizzard and we all lol'd because we knew it was just a matter of time before some soulless suit took a torrential spattering poo poo over everything.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

novaSphere posted:

Very different kinds of games tbh. I tried to like Battlebit and couldn't get into it, and it has the same problems other Battlefield/CoD/Planetside style games have with TTKs measured in milliseconds and huge sightlines - Every fight feels spammy and random, I can't really understand what's going on, and night maps give me migraines. I was also called the f-slur within my first hour of pubbing on Battlebit. Overwatch is not exactly the best experience these days but it's also the only shooter game with a decent population that actually plays like its roots are in Quake and TF2 and not Counterstrike. Apex is the only other game that comes close to that.

Darn, I was thinking about trying that out hoping it would be cool like Enemy Territory. I hate games like Valorant where you spend most of your time skulking or running back from spawn and fights last like 3 seconds.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

unfortunately the popular higher TTK games on the market are dominated by PC controller aimbot, so your options are limited to basically overwatch if you care about that sort of thing

Youth of today are great in so many ways but gaming taste is not one of them. I'm so old, and so angry.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Dick Jones posted:

If you add up all the cinematic shorts, the total running time is almost two hours. Acting and animation-wise that could have been a movie right there, but they'd still have to come up with a good feature length script, promotion, etc.

- Take new heroes out of the battle pass and just let everyone play the new hero on day 1 of the release.

- Make the battle pass more generous like Rocket League, where players can earn enough coins along the way to buy the next battle pass if they reach the last reward by the end of the season without splurging on anything.

- Give away a lot more freebies in the form of minor cosmetics like titles and title card backgrounds centered around limited events.

- Bring back the voting cards at the end of the match.

- Bring back the LFG feature.

- Make the Experimental mode a regularly updated thing.

- Gradually add features from the limited brawl modes (chests, deployable items, upgrades) back into the PvE story campaign.

- Deadlock Mei skin

- Let us skip maps that suck, or at least stop threatening to block me from queuing if I quit before the game has even started. Like I get keeping people from quitting mid match is good, but if it hasn't even started yet there shouldn't be a loving penalty :mad:

- 6 player teams again because they clearly they don't give a poo poo about esports anymore

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

If you're in the match, it has started, its time for the penalty. Leaving at the start is just as bad/worse than leaving in the middle or at the end. The result is that you left the match and left the team in a lurch. It sucks to lose/not be able to play until you get that backfill, assuming that you get it quickly, and they ALSO don't bail on the match.

An early bailer can just entirely kill a match.

Gee, so easily solved by letting us pick what maps we want to play. I'm not rage-quitting, I just don't want to spend 20 minutes playing a boring map. This is 100% a Blizzard problem, not a my-behavior problem.

And for reference, this is in Mystery Heroes/QP, never in competitive or whatever.

Jack Trades posted:

Moira was released 6 years ago and she's still not featured in any cinematic.

Is there any other OW1 playable character that's not featured in at least one cinematic?
Baptiste, I suppose, and Hammond?

Which is shocking considering she's the funnest and coolest character of all.

Edit: have never actually watched an Overwatch cinematic.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

Cuz that's not how the game works? If you want dedicated modes, go play in the arcade :). Edit: which is a lovely thing to say, since its open queue and not Role queue.

Which game mode/map is it that you dislike, and why?

I know you're quoting him, but I am playing in Arcade. I mostly just quit on Push maps because they're all terrible, everything else is fine or fine enough.

And again, this is an instant quit as soon as I see the loading screen, not like mid-match. Plenty of time for someone else to fill in. I can count on one hand the number of times I've quit during the game, usually when the rest of my team is emoting in spawn or something similar.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i think an option for qp where you select out of certain game modes or maps seems like a totally reasonable thing to implement

but also quitting out bc you dont like a map is absolutely bitchmade behaviour and i think you should just uninstall bc this game is clearly giving you a net negative of happiness

Playing maps that suck gives net negative of happiness. The game overall makes me very happy or I wouldn't be spending time bitching in the thread instead of working lol

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

What's wrong with push? Its control that you don't have to change map rounds on. I have some ideas as to why you might dislike it, but I don't find it terrible in the least.

They're too open and sprawling, and it feels like you spend way more time running back from spawn than in other maps. They could just do a 30% shrink on all of them and it would be a huge improvement.

I also dislike how if teams are balanced you just move the robot back and forth in the middle until the time runs out (versus the more sequential stuff like 2CP which almost feels like multiple maps - you never see the starting spawn once you've capped, etc). I suppose you could make the same argument against maps like Illios but the maps are so much smaller you can get back in the fun in seconds so its less annoying.

Edit: vvvv Yes, I miss the poo poo out of those maps too.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

What is this 'some of your hero customization is unavailable in this instance' stuff I keep getting?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

They started selling horse armor and I didn't not speak out, for I didn't think that 5$ was a lot of money...

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I spent 60 bucks on OW1. That was a more than fair price for all the fun I got out of it. I would have done it again for OW2, even 70.

Passes? Skins? 'Shops'? Suuuuuuuuck my nuts, have not and will not spend a dime, not encouraging that poo poo. Also I get why the companies do it, because marks and suckers will pay, so I hate those people even more than the company for making this nonsense so pervasive.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

smurfs (the ones looking for pubstomps) decrease the fairness of games to inflate one person's ego. people are much more likely to be okay with a loss if it was close than if it was a stomp.

some games take the matter seriously like valorant b/c they value player retention:
https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/dev/valorant-systems-health-series-smurf-detection/

i would not be surprised if overwatch already has a bunch of these anti-smurf measures in place.

something interesting to note here is that the valorant blog places stomps naturally occuring in about 1/6th the games, although valorant also has some significant snowball mechanics.

Seems like they could easily fix the smurf problem by selling Overwatch at a retail price just like OW1 rather than this FTP/GAAS steaming horseshit.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

That didn't stop legit smurfs before so why would it now.

It's like how there is still shitposting on SA even with the registration fee but if you go to a free site like Reddit it's a million times worse.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I never even notice custom skins except maybe at the end screen. What I do notice is cool sound effects, need more like train Rein.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

HR is like Cops, even if they want to help you out the system is stacked against it.

And the good ones get run out.

Blizzard used to be my favorite game company, just non-stop quality and fun games for years and years, until Kotick 'The enshittifier supreme' Kotick jammed his greasy thumb into the works. Wishing him the worst!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Haha, goddamn 'just aims in general vicinity, kills'. Going to give it a spin later tonight but not optimistic about any of this and right on the heels of Blizzard killing off my favorite Hearthstone mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

I was trying to put my finger on the gamefeel now - it's like being on painkillers. Everything is numb and soft. I was playing Hog in QP and he feels like a wet paper bag.

SadisTech posted:

Smart words

So it's for people with controllers, basically.