Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Probably 90% of games I play are totally one sided steamrolls. I don't know how that gets fixed but I don't know how they keep non-addicts playing at low ranks with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rick posted:

Yeah the battlepass is way worse than lootboxes which is wild.

It's actually impressive how lovely Blizzard has become.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Ults SHOULD be counterable. Junkrat's tire can be blown up, tons of ulting characters can be slept, and several Ults (but not all) can be suzu'd.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If a genji is winning 1v3s then they are highly technically skilled and there's probably not a ton you can do.

However, as someone who can't aim for poo poo, I've had good results from pharah, junkrat, and moira.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Valentin posted:

it's just another aspect of her character that doesn't quite fit. she's supposed to be fully japanese because she's nebulously related to the shimadas and their plotline and for better or for worse those dudes uhhh do not sound like that. and they could have written around that in a million ways (even just a "uhhh studied overseas") but they just don't really care to get that nuanced, so you get kiriko sounding like literally no one else who appears in her reveal trailer or background story. she sounds like all my Japanese cousins too but my cousins weren't raised in Japan, which is why they don't have Japanese accents (and can't double jump).

hey speaking of race in ow have they ever acknowledged pharah as mixed-race after they hastily added in a first nations dad to justify that one skin

Nobody ever complains about Lucio's lack of a thick accent event though he spent his life in Rio.

I actually have encountered people in Taiwan and Japan who sound like Kiriko even though they never visited America. They learned English from watching TV and movies. Talking to them triggered my "SoCal native" radar and I was shocked to learn they had never been abroad.

The real reason for Kiriko, though, is that her voice actress isn't playing Kiriko so much as she's just kind of being herself.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

TenementFunster posted:

how are you guys still being weird about this

Season 3 update is boring as gently caress, they aren't making any meaningful changes to fix the game, so there's nothing else to talk about.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Proven posted:

1. Reducing “feel bad”. Hog changes last patch were put into this bucket, and so was Mercy nerf.

And yet they still refuse to touch Soujorn after months of pros and top 500s begging for it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

With Ashe it is all about positioning and aim.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

As a non-Mercy player (usually not, anyway), I love the changes. Previously a good Mercy was just an unkillable damage boost. Now she is killable but is far more impactful. A well executed ult can be used defensively to save the team in a rough spot. Not sure the exact numbers if she can help the team tank a Bob or Reaper ult, but she can definitely help win some teamfights.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Reaper and Tracer are very hard to deal with as Bastion. Pharah and Echo can also be tough unless his aim is very good

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Kiriko's ult should show off her bike riding skills that she's always bragging about.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My comp queue times have doubled (15-20 minutes) starting yesterday, was hoping they tightened the matchmaker more, but match quality has not improved. Still a huge range of players and always a steamroll win or a steamroll loss.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

what if i don't have friends. this is discrimination.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The worst interaction/pre-game thing is Winston's "I just know we're going to have a great time!" line.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

PantsBandit posted:

"Kids can surprise you."

"Kids can also disappoint you."

Kiriko shut the gently caress up

That's actually one of my favorite interactions.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

PantsBandit posted:

Her acting like an expert on kids like mercy being an expert on medicine is beyond stupid.

I don't really get the impression that she's acting "like an expert on kids". She's just making a (self deprecating) quip in response to Soldier's serious grumpy old man schtick.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Fartington Butts posted:

Cassidy's April Fools callouts are good

The rest are :chloe:

Soldier's and Moira's are fantastic.

Dva's "Pressing Q!!!!!!!!" and both of Lucio's are good.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If it were any other company, I'd say that they should sell these lines as cosmetics, but Blizzard would charge $10 for them.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's not a buff or a nerf if it's a bug!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Mei is not nearly as bad as some of the other stallers. Ice block can't stall as long as some others.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

PantsBandit posted:

Feels like stuff that should've shaken out in testing but also I guess it did ha

I don't think Blizzard actually does testing. At least it was pretty clear the Hearthstone team never bothered with it.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

If that's true, then what is the excuse for matchmaking?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My MMR must have started in single digits this season because I've had a positive win rate, across the last 8 or so resets/checks, including several 5-1 batches, and I'm still at Bronze 5.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah it's like a total mindless fixation on MUST LOOK AT OBJ or STAND ON THE OBJ

meanwhile enemy team is flanking

My experience is often the complete opposite. My team always ignores the objective. Way ahead in kills but somehow lose anyway because they never step on the objective.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

my favourite is sleeping a bob immediately after it comes out and nobody wakes it but also nobody changes position so when he wakes up nauturally they all die

I really need to bind the "sorry" voice line because I without fail accidentally wake up every single sleeping bob and ana and I die together

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Yeah, but why waste resources developing PvE when you can just color swap default skins and people buy them up at $20 each?

I'm annoyed with Blizzard for a lot of their poor development choices and non-functional matchmaking and a bunch of other poo poo... but I really wish people didn't give them money for their low effort poo poo. Blizzard has learned that they don't actually need to create good games anymore - they can just print money using zero effort cash grab tactics.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I have a positive winrate with my three most commonly played characters, yet I've been stuck at Bronze 5 for 3 seasons every since a rank reset dropped me from Silver. I really, really don't understand this system.

Also, yeah, I have a terrible experience with matchmaking. A lot of people claim it is fine for them, but I almost never have an even, close match.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rawrbomb posted:

Bronze is the biggest division of players, at the bottom of the bell curve and brozne 5 is the worst. It covers 0-1100, where as bronze 4-1 is divided between 1100 and 1499, so if you were truly at the bottom of bronze 5 (0) it will take some moderate effort to climb out.

Each time you do rank up, it should give you a % of players that you are better than, higher is better and more likely you're going to rank out of bronze 5.

The post season reset a couple seasons ago dropped me from silver 3~1 to bronze 5 where I have been stuck for several seasons. I certainly am bad at this game, but as I said I have a positive winrate with my 3 most played characters so I don't understand how I could be stuck for so long when I was mid-high silver before.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rawrbomb posted:

Have you played/ranked much since S4 started? You should be moving closer to your true MMR in each game, but if you haven't played a ton in S4, you're not at your true MMR yet, and may be in a weird spot due to resets/decay that is now gone.

You played 14 games, and lost 2/3rds of them, and you were surprised you ranked down? I'm not sure why you thought you were going to go up.

I guess bronze 5 is my true MMR then. I've played ~60 hours in S4. I still don't understand how I can have a positive winrate and never climb.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The best part is that if stomps happen at the same rate regardless of matchmaker accuracy, it just means it's a bad game - that sounds worse for their PR than the matchmaker being broken.

"Everyone, all the stomps either way that you are shouting about constantly having.... We hear you. Rest assured, it is not the matchmaker. That's just how this game works."

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They've been reducing what you can get with free currency on other games like HS - no way in hell they'll let you get anything decent in OW for free.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

In the replies she also says that he said "his pocket mercy" healing other people was "cucking" him.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's not just support players. DPS lose their goddamn minds if they are less than full health for more than 20 seconds

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

as a perma bronze 5 with hundreds of hours of comp playtime, nothing is more satisfying than landing headshots with mei's right click. somehow i get more headshots with her than with anybody else except maybe kiriko

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

comedyblissoption posted:

there's a natural progression to not being able to type to your opponents

They can copy Hearthstone so you can't communicate except by emotes.

And then they can sell spicy emotes.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

comedyblissoption posted:

people would get upset b/c they could mute emotes but you'd still see a very slight almost imperceptible twitch or lighting effect when emoting

I'm still mad they refused to put in an auto-squelch even though people begged for years for one.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

My favorite UI design choice is that you can use ESC to back up out of menus until the main menu, but then it brings up some dumb new menu instead of being Quit like every other game ever made.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

pointlessone posted:

Bronze 5, in terms of OW's 0-5000 skill rank numbering, is literally 0-1000. After that, you're humming along at about 100 SR per tier.

Get stuck somewhere around 6-700 to start and it takes a long time to pull out of the pit.

There really needs to be something under bronze. For all their bullshit about the old system causing too much stress, being stuck in bronze 5 forever is a massive turn off for players.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They might as well bring back 2CP since OW2's stomp or be stomped nature makes every single map more fun for one team than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

"there exists games that are worse than Overwatch, so there is no reason to complain about Overwatch being bad"