Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Hirez posted:

and at least they didn't get beat by their own zamboni driver

They did lose to their former Cy Young award winner and one of the key relievers that got blown up was former Mariner Anthony Bass, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't know how well it came across in the broadcast, but the Mariners crowd was awesome while at the game. Through 17 innings, it was rocking and 98% filled even then. Only problem was that Macklemore got to talk twice over the PA. But they were there and in it the whole time and it was a joy. Until the 18th.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I've been thinking a lot about the Mariners future after the sweep. I agree with most of the points Penisaurus Rex made in his post earlier that the future is pretty bright. Especially that pitching core of Castillo/Gilbert/Kirby/Ray as the best starting four the Mariners have had ever as a franchise. And while you can never be 100% sure that a good bullpen will stay good, the fact remains that it was very good in both 2021 and 2022 with a bunch of former random arms, so I think whatever talent shows up next year will be relatively good and not something to worry about. Also something not to worry about is that the Mariners defense was very good as well. So, as with every Mariners team in my life, it comes down to the bats. And, man, I am extremely worried about how bad this lineup looks.

Julio and Eugenio are the only two bats coming back next year I trust. Julio's the only real elite bat on this team, while Suarez is a consistent power hitter that may be streaky but is still ultimately a big positive and threat in this lineup. JP Crawford started the year strong at the plate before going back to being below average but very livable as a good shortstop, so I have no qualms with him. Cal Raleigh, bless his heart, gave his entire hand for this team down the stretch and owns.

Everyone else is extremely shaky. Ty France has been miserable to watch since his injury and after the All Star Break. I hope it's simple as an injury that's causing his issues. I don't see Mitch Haniger or Adam Frazier coming back, and, as sad as it makes me in the case of Mitch especially as the rock of the team in 2018, they really shouldn't. Carlos Santana also shouldn't return but may just as a clubhouse guy--his bat was awful against RHPs. Abraham Toro and Dylan Moore are not starters on a playoff team. They're great utility guys but if they're our plan to start at 2B next season, I'm very worried.

I don't know what they're going to do about the outfield. Jesse Winker can only take walks and is an even worse defender than Raul Ibanez out in left field, while Jarred Kelenic is great at defense and sincerely truly absolutely cannot hit major league pitching. He's still young but it is just extremely painful to watch him go up there and struggle. I would not be shocked if he gets traded because the fanbase seems done with him and there might be a team willing to buy low on him. And if the Mariners are giving those at-bats to Kelenic instead of Taylor Trammell or Kyle Lewis, well, that just speaks to how low the organization's confidence is in them and I don't see them making the team next year.

Ultimately, the Mariners have only two positions where there's no long-term solution in place, right field and second base. I think left field is a huge problem if Winker continues to be poo poo next year, but RF and 2B are the biggest obvious holes. Trea Turner and Aaron Judge are both free agents. I don't think they're getting Judge, but Turner would do so much for this team if they're willing to go out and get him. The big problem with not signing Judge is that there's no other great or even good outfielder free agent becoming available. Like, I don't think Joey Gallo or Michael Brantley or Adam Duvall are the answer. So the Mariners would have to pray that one of Kelenic/Lewis/Trammell figures it out or maybe give Zach DeLoach a shot instead if they're thinking to fill the spot internally. Or Jerry could do what he loves the most and make a trade.

This is a long post, but to sum it up, the Mariners have the pitching and defense of a great playoff team, and way too many question marks in their lineup to support those staffs. So basically like every other Mariners team ever.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Good news for 29 teams!

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/1585002018879438848

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1590855078025789442
Ohtani was up for it in utility and didn't get it over Arraez, which is a joke :lol:

I know that the Silver Sluggers go to "outfield" rather than specific LF, RF, or CF, but it is very weird seeing Julio in left field and Aaron Judge in center field for this.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Well, as a Mariners fan, I'm pretty happy about this trade. It makes it increasingly unlikely that Haniger will be back, which does make the fan in me sad, but Hernandez doesn't have a bad injury history. Left field remains a bit of a question mark since Winker's name is in a lot of trade rumors and Kelenic still doesn't look like an MLB-level hitter, but I'm happy about giving up a reliever and a far-off pitching prospect for Teoscar's + bat.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Kyle Lewis was reportedly super frustrated last year about not getting much time to play when he came back from injury. There was a huge hole in both corner outfield positions with Winker hugely slumping and Haniger not healthy, and Lewis could not stay on the field. All of his speed was completely gone from his leg injuries, he couldn't field well, and, worst of all, could no longer hit. I hope he gets healthy and becomes the next Ketel Marte down there.

Can't say I've heard of Cooper Hummel. Anyone know anything about this guy?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Sydin posted:

Honestly I'm at the point where the bulk of my annoyance the Astros cheated isn't about the integrity of the game or their fraudulent 2017 title, but rather that every time it comes up it makes this thread largely unreadable for a full day. Which is unfortunate because SAS is like the one place I've found on the internet where you can discuss sports in a way that doesn't immediately devolve in to rampant racism, sexism, and death threats.

This.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The hot stove is heating up :siren: https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1596304615712051200

Carlos Santana is a great clubhouse guy that was Julio Rodriguez's best friend and he had some hugely clutch hits, but he's pretty done as anything more than a righty platoon bat since he can't really hit as a lefty.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mcmagic posted:

If I was paying robbie ray 23 million to pitch like a no 4 starter and give up season killing 900 foot homers in the playoffs I wouldn't be happy but thats just me.

He killed the season the same way Steve Bartman killed the Cubs' season. There was two full games left that the Mariners had to lose for their season to end after it, and he even pitched a scoreless 2/3rds of an inning in the 3rd game. Like I'm not that happy that he's the Mariners #4 on that contract but a league average innings eater is pretty drat valuable, especially when two of the Mariners top 4 are young guys who may not have a season's endurance.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

zoux posted:

That walkoff was a back breaker. Series was over the second Yordan's bat touched the ball. It is a tribute to the Ms that they didn't just roll over and die after that, but everyone knew that was the series.

That's stupid revisionist history. The Mariners were up going into the bottom of the 6th in game 2 and we all remember the endless 18 inning struggle of game 3. There's zero reason to think the Mariners couldn't have come back and won that series after game 1. If that had happened, Alvarez's home run would've been forgotten like the Hal Smith home run in game 7 of the 1960 World Series. Smith's home run was the most clutch home run ever hit going by championship win probability added but is forgotten because Bill Mazeroski hit a walkoff in the 9th to win it for the Pirates.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Hot Stove is now the Gott Stove

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1597378443532009472

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Poque posted:

I asked this recently and was told it'll depend on which way they'll start batting

How does this work? Will a switch hitter have to change jerseys if they're switching what side they're hitting off of? Like, if they're going against a LHP reliever after starting against an RHP starter?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Personally, I think they should be forced to switch jerseys every time they switch sides. And then watch the carnage when a switch hitter goes against Pat Venditte.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And it’s loving godawful.

Every baseball stadium is already littered with signs, the at-bats are interrupted by micro-commercials, and now even the players are walking billboards. And it’s an aesthetic eyesore on top of everything else.

Yeah, the Alvarez home run in the WS loses a bit of magic when every replay has that dumbass "FTX" ad on the batter's eye as the ball soars above. It sucks.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1598786455681306629

I always liked Toro even if he wasn't very good just because of the grand slam off Graveman after he was traded one-for-one for Graveman. Not surprised Winker is out already. Yeesh.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Some Numbers posted:

If not, I think the Mariners fleeced the Brewers.

I'm 99% sure Intruder meant "Mariners" instead of "Brewers". It is a good trade for the Mariners though they need one more top-of-the-line bat to make me feel really good about this offseason. I really love JP Crawford as a clubhouse guy but he isn't worth keeping as the starting shortstop versus one of the big free agent shortstops like Turner. What other great bats are out there? Correa is probably a non-starter for the fanbase but would be funny.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Some Numbers posted:

One corner outfield position is still open, unless we want to platoon Haggerty and Kelenic.

It's going to go to Haggerty/Kelenic/Trammell. This ownership group refuses to spend money. The Robbie Ray signing is this decade's Cano signing.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Hell of a deal. How’s their farm? Are they still going to be puke next year?

They're pretty drat bad. After signing Semien and Seager to megadeals, their best hitter last year was Nathaniel Lowe. They have zero pitching. Martin Perez put up an inexplicable 5.0 WAR season after being slightly below league average as a starter. Kumar Rocker is expected to make the jump and is just about their only hope at SP.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Shouldn’t Leiter be ready soon as well?

Ah true. Yeah, the Rangers used two really high picks on "MLB-ready" college pitchers. I forgot about Leiter but yes he and Rocker are the big hopes for the Rangers as far as turning around their starting pitching while they have this extremely high-talent core of free agents.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
gently caress, man. I was preparing to lose Mitch but it still sucks seeing it happen. This OF has two very good players and then absolute trash for LF, Dipoto has to realize he needs to do something.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
This is one of the funniest quotes I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1600568383363117056

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Really cool that after making the playoffs for the first time in 21 years that the Mariners owner has decided to cry poor and just not allow a single impact free agent signing despite the insane amount of revenue this team generated. Going into the next season playing Jarred Kelenic as the starting left fielder and JP Crawford as the starting shortstop with this free agent class shouldn't have been the plan. What a disaster.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
It does warm my heart a little to see big name free agents still get paid megadeals after the past few offseasons had the owners colluding to keep FA prices down that led to stuff like the lockout earlier this year. I just wish that my team's owner realized earlier that his "friends" weren't going to try and freeze players out again and actually loving spent money beyond $1.2 million on Trevor Gott and no one else.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Some Numbers posted:

HEY DIPOTO DO SOMETHING

The only thing keeping me sane is a 100% belief that Dipoto has had all his plans ruined by the owners refusing to let him spend money. There's no way passing up on literally everyone could've been his plan going into next year.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

At the prices and years people are getting I have no issue with Dipoto staying pat and think it was probably as much him as anyone else.

They're going to sign 1 vet OF, maybe 2, and try to upgrade off Marco's black hole in the rotation. That's probably it for the rest of the off-season except bullpen moves at the edges.

Mariners are probably a 94-95 win team next year right now assuming Julio doesn't miss extended time. Astros are probably a 96-97 win team right now. Division is within reach if you're playing really well by the deadline, you can make a move there.

At some point, you've got to be alright with the new cost of doing business. Why did Dipoto and ownership feel alright giving Robbie Ray $115mil/5 years, Luis Castillo $108mil/5 years, and Julio $209mil/12 years last year if they weren't alright opening the pocketbook again this year with a super strong free agent class? And it's really hard for me to feel that confident about this team when the lineup still looks so weak compared to the Astros and to what it could've been. We have to rely on similar seasons from Cal and Julio, and while I'm not saying I expect them to have a set of terrible sophomore slump seasons, it's a lot to ask for from two young players. We also have to hope that Suarez can repeat his bounceback 2022, and that Ty France isn't broken like how he looked last season. Wong and Hernandez are great additions, but top-to-bottom it's not as good a lineup as it could or should be, and we have to hope that Kelenic/Taylor Trammell/Sam Haggerty or like Cade Marlowe can round out this lineup.

Pitching rotation and bullpen definitely does a lot for this team, but I remember how lights-out the 2010 Mariners' pitching staff was and how that turned out because the offense couldn't loving score. I can only hope that it doesn't happen again.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mcmagic posted:

Is that Musgrove? Allways nice to see a bunch of rear end in a top hat cheaters hanging out and having fun together!!!

I had forgotten that he was on the 2017 Astros and thought you were bringing up the shiny ears incident from the playoffs as some proof that Musgrove was a cheater and lolled.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Dodgers and Cubs have won an equal number of championships in the last 30 years. Their fans are equally allowed to doompost.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Regardless of how tainted the 2017 title may be, 2 titles in 5 years is nowhere near a dynasty lol

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

MrMidnight posted:

drat straight

vvvv what all the haters say. It's more about the 6 straight ALCS and 4 WS

A dynasty is winning titles. No one considers the Dodgers' current run a dynasty.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

bawfuls posted:

if the Astros don’t count cause they cheated in 2017 then the Dodgers do cause they had 2017 stolen

Gotta pick one of ‘em to designate that word

No, I continue to reject the idea that winning 2 titles in 5 years is a "dynasty". Regardless of the Dodgers or Astros winning in 2017, neither stretch constitutes a dynasty. The closest thing the MLB has had to a dynasty in a while is the 2010-2014 Giants.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Look, I hate the Astros as much as anyone else, but as far as I can see this article does not actually exist on their SBNation site and it's a pretty mean thing to make up about their fanbase. You can just make fun of the Astros from basically any other acceptable angle instead of having to resort to this.

e: Oh, the article got made then got taken down. Hmm. Not a great look, my mistake.

https://twitter.com/Goose1701/status/1608906063952367617

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

bawfuls posted:

that's what the robots are for

but seriously, they did this in 1969 and it worked fine back then

They did it just as recently as the early 2000s when the broadcasts started putting in strike zone overheads. Like, say what you will about how bad umpires are, but they've shown actual ability to adapt to technology to call games better. I personally think that doing something like instituting robot umpires goes way further against the spirit of the game than the shift but I'm aware I'm losing that battle. If MLB wanted to change the strike zone, umpires would adapt fine.

This video does a good job recapping how umpires got better at calling the "true strike zone" as tech got better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nX_ZphDNQM&t=513s

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

zoux posted:

Lol at the Mets, good lord

Are they counting losing Judge and resigning him for the NYY? (e: it's yes, so more like a net of 9 WAR)

Absolutely incredible how the Mariners are the only team to "add" negative WAR in free agency by signing Trevor Gott.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'd be surprised if the MLB expanded before dealing with the Athletics' situation, but I guess expansion is just a large amount of new money put into the league without any real hoops. Have to imagine Vegas gets an expansion team at the same time to keep the league numbers balanced.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

lobster shirt posted:

i strongly suspect that collectively pro baseball players are the dumbest group of athletes

I don't know, hockey players have a great argument as the dumbest.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Ah good, let's spend another 10 pages talking about the cheating scandal again instead of JB Bukauskas and how he's somehow not related to Chris Jakubauskas. Although my pet theory is that JB is Chris in sunglasses considering how both of them are pretty equally bad as pitchers.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1617656148148224001

Wonder what this means about Ohtani's future.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Can we please open a quarantine thread for cheating in MLB? I'm really loving sick of the same conversation in here every two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I made a catch-all cheating in sports thread since I think the topic is interesting enough to merit a broader discussion than just about baseball: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023913