Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Devils are on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

secret volcano lair posted:

gonna be interesting to see if they can hold their own against Edmonton or Calgary. that was a pretty sloppy win against the canucks

If they win one of those 2 games that’s excellent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was at Prudential center chanting "Fire Lindy" like 13 days ago LOL

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

he also made a rude comment about Simon Nemec and I hate him

but yeah Nemec has been a bit quiet to start the year in the AHL. I don't think he ever had the top end explosiveness that Luke Hughes has, but I wonder how long it will take him to start pumping out those outlet assists. If he struggles in his first AHL year the Devils might be scrambling a bit for a third pair RHD next year. There's no way they can extend Severson, some team is gonna pay him like 5m+ easy (probably more like 6m+) to be their #4.

Have you read negative reports on Nemec? It's not like you can really tell how well a Dman is playing just by looking at points or +/-

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fawning deference posted:

Speaking of lines on a roll, Wood-McLeod-Bastian has been killing it as an energy fourth line with offensive pop. Zetterlund continues to fit right in.

Devils were up and down last night but they found a way to win against a very good team. They hit multiple posts too.

Calgary really tried to bully them too and they didn't fold like Devils teams the last few years would have.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If they are still in solid playoff position after the new year they really need to make a big move for someone like Meier and go for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I agree re: T-Bone about Holtz. Holtz/Nemec/Hughes should be untouchable. The Devils are in a great cap position after this year. Holtz might need a year or two but giving up on him would be short-sighted.

They aren't gonna get Meier for just the 1st though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1589386109150076928

All 3 pairs in the top 12!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn’t it good for New Jersey that he doesn’t play ? As in he is not a good goalie ?

The new backup is likely worse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

clean ayers act posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1591928409281761280?s=20&t=BMHirsh-gf69XVlLT8Y9FA
man it would be very funny if the devils are a mirage and suck again by the end of the season and people start tossing these onto the ice

I should buy this shirt

It's been a long decade.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You gotta respect the Devils fans who undertook the almost impossible and miserable task of going to Long Island to boo him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Not Important posted:

I have even more respect for the Isles fans who undertook the grueling odyssey westward to the blasted hellscape abandoned by God that we know as :vomarine: Newark, New Jersey :barf:

TBH the Devils arena is insanely easy to get to which nothing on Long Island is....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is so fun the Devils are unstoppable

They are going to finish 79-3-0

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1592969891640127489

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Crazy that the Caps gave up on him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I didn't expect Nico to improve as much as he has this year. I thought he was a nice player but not a star and right now he's playing like one of the best 20 players in the league.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I wish NJ could erase the Palat signing and have that cap space back. They really don't need him and would have an extra $5-6m to work with. Echoing sentiments that this team with Gaudreau would be unfair.

He was playing really well in the few games before he got hurt... I don't think anyone could've predicted that Zetterlund would be this good though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm going to the next Devils game cause I wanna see McDavid (and the Devils) so you can assume they will lose then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Devils are 10 points up on the Rangers. You just love to see it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like a lot of coaching is how well you motivate players. Did Lindy Ruff suddenly become a good coach this season? Was he a bad one in previous seasons? I dunno. That Devils team is clearly buying what he's selling this year. Trotz graded out poorly last year, yet was pretty highly regarded in other seasons.

Coaching ability is pretty hard to judge

I think Lindy is like exactly replacement level. The team is just really good and they seem to like him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Going to the devils game tonight cause I want to see McDavid. I apologize in advance for them losing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Devils still good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good to see Holtz go to the AHL where he can play every day but I really thought Bahl is a guy who is good enough to take Brendon Smith's job but complaining about anything the Devils do at this point is pretty poo poo brained anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

They'll still have Smith next year so a RHD signing rotating is probably unlikely unless they don't play Bahl. More likely you see Bahl/Smith rotating again I think.

The good thing about Nemec coming up next year if he does, is that he'll get the same kind of sheltered minutes/2nd PP time that Severson is getting. It's a pretty decent spot to jump into although I'm sure they'll play Smith way too much again because he's a "veteran presence." Hopefully Smith doesn't anchor him.

Luke Hughes would be getting much tougher minutes paired with Marino though, so that's why I could see them reupping Graves. That might be the best option if it's not some crazy deal. Then if Luke looks ready enough you can still run a really solid Graves/Nemec third pair. Hopefully by late season they'll have a better read on where Nemec/Hughes are at.

posting about 2023 d pairs in the midst of a 13 game winning streak

e: also I had no idea Reilly Smith and Brendan Smith were brothers

Graves is such a loving solid guy and he's what? 27? I would hate to see him walk away for nothing because they need to play a guy like Smith who just isn't very good. Severson i'm pretty sure they just let walk. He's not worth what he's going to get.

The fact that they have Marino and Siegenthaler signed for basically ever at insanely reasonable deals is just so great for the future of this team baring injuries.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 22, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Not sure what would be a more annoying way for the Devils' winning streak to end tonight vs the Leafs or vs the Rangers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WTF is with the 8PM start time for Sabres games?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't see any reason why Schmid shouldn't keep the backup job at this point. Even when Blackwood is healthy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattdonders/status/1596561560473698304

drat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

3-0 is the worst lead in hockey afterall....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I've watched the replay of Jack scoring off the goalie's helmet last night about 20 times.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

Also sure looks like Bastian separated his shoulder based on how it was hanging after the Oshie hit. Holtz could be coming right back in. Although honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go to Johnsson.

I don't think they will replace Bastian with Holtz, they do completely different things and they will probably want someone in that slot who can play on the PK. The Devils just don't need a guy like Holtz on the roster right now....

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 27, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I agree, they will want to bring in a fourth line energy type guy. Although what they could do is put Zetterlund with Wood and McLeod and try Holtz out with Haula and Sharangovich.

Bastian was playing more than typical 4th line minutes. They are going to miss him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How long an injury is a separated shoulder? 6 weeks?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Islanders looked SO BAD against the Devils and they are so old and slow it's pretty amazing that they are winning so much but I guess their goalie is awesome and they are scoring just enough? Seems unsustainable to me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Looks like Holtz and Bahl are both back. I wonder if they end up going 11-7 tonight.......

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Looks like Holtz and Bahl are both back. I wonder if they end up going 11-7 tonight.......

NM I'm wrong looks like Holtz is in

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1597252457541042176

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Rangers were a pretty mediocre team with a goalie playing out of his mind last year imo. The goalie is playing a little worse and the rest of the team is still pretty mediocre. Hence .500.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

The Devils are actually above water now on GS/GA above expected which is pretty wild after the last couple of years. 4.9 scored above expected. 5.91 saved above expected. I expect they'll lose a few more games here soon if Vanecek's play drops. That or he's gonna get a Vezina nom and this season rules harder than we can possibly imagine.

The last two games especially they were outplayed for large portions of the game and had a few bounces go their way so this tracks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bone posted:

They need to get the PP going. Luckily the PK has been good so it's evening out, but can't keep going 19%.

What they are good at on offense is creating off the rush which is more conducive to 5v5 than the PP. I'm not surprised that the PP is just OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Iodised QQ posted:

Watching that full game last night and just comparing the Devils' rebuild to the Rangers. Both started around the same general time frame and both teams just won the lottery constantly and I hate them both for it. I feel like the non-lottery core of the Rangers is better than the Devils, but the Devils got two players worthy of their draft status who are now carrying their team and the Rangers got...Laf and Kakko

Kakko has the fancy stats and can show stretches of being strong on the puck and good in the corners but doesn't generate many points and has a pretty weak shot. But at least he has a skill that can be pointed to as something to watch develop. But what can Laf do? I watch them pretty often and I just don't see any plus skills whatsoever and have no idea how he was a #1 overall pick. Even when I'm actively looking for him he has so many games where he does literally nothing until he takes some dumb stick penalty in the o zone late as his only contribution to the game.

It's really not right that Hughes and Nico are carrying the Devils. They have both been really good this year but Bratt might be the best player on the devils and he was a 6th round pick... And they completely redid the defense with 1 free agent signing and 3 REALLY smart trades, the high pick Dmen aren't even here yet.