Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Enjoy posted:

oryx has 97 pictures of lost T-62 variants

😴

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

really queer Christmas posted:

The gently caress is a Canadian maga

The LPC's strategy in the face of Danielle Smith and Pierre Poilievre is to associate Canadian Tories with Donald Trump and MAGA, which caused a small diplomatic incident last week. They've prioritized domestic messaging to MSNBC watching Canadian liberals, but if Trump wins, it's a problem. More to the point, Trudeau is unpopular across the board now, so it seems kind of desperate.

e: London ERT are the ones that "swatted" Keffals or whatever that person is called, FYI for the American readership

So be glad they didn't use fentanyl gas or that 23mm shotgun to breach.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Feb 16, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So that leaves Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, right?

https://x.com/Tsihanouskaya/status/1758559593016287348?s=20

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

Remarks by Vice President Harris at the Munich Security Conference | Munich, Germany | The White House

VICE PRESIDENT HARRIS: Good afternoon. Good afternoon. (Applause.) Thank you, thank you.

Thank you, Christoph. Thank you. Thank you for your leadership.

Before I begin today, we’ve all just received reports that Aleksey Navalny has died in Russia. This is, of course, terrible news, which we are working to confirm.

My prayers are with his family, including his wife, Yulia, who is with us today.

And if confirmed, this would be a further sign of Putin’s brutality. Whatever story they tell, let us be clear: Russia is responsible.

And we will have more to say on this later.

I strongly believe America’s role of global leadership is to the direct benefit of the American people. Our leadership keeps our homeland safe, supports American jobs, secures supply chains, and opens new markets for American goods.

And I firmly believe our commitment to build and sustain alliances has helped America become the most powerful and prosperous country in the world — alliances that have prevented wars, defended freedom, and maintained stability from Europe to the Indo-Pacific. To put all of that at risk would be foolish.

President Biden and I have demonstrated there is a smarter way.

When it comes to America’s national security, our approach starts with our historic, direct investment in the working people of America, an investment which has helped build a resilient and innovative economy.

And over the past three years, backed by this strong track record at home, we have implemented our National Security Strategy.

In the Indo-Pacific, we have invested heavily in our alliances and partnerships and created new ones to ensure peace and security and, of course, the free flow of commerce.

We have responsibly managed competition with China, standing up to Beijing when necessary and also working together when it serves our interest.

In the Middle East, we are working to end the conflict that Hamas triggered on October 7th as soon as possible and ensure it ends in a way where Israel is secure, hostages are released, the humanitarian crisis is resolved, Hamas does not control Gaza, and Palestinians can enjoy their right to security, dignity, freedom, and self-determination. (Applause.)

This work — while we also work to counter aggression from Iran and its proxies, prevent regional escalation, and promote regional integration.

In addition, we have strengthened our partnerships on the continent of Africa, understanding that the innovation happening on the continent will shape the future of our world. We have also worked with partners in the Caribbean and throughout Latin America to increase private sector investment, address the climate crisis, and address the root causes of migration.

And here in Europe, we have joined forces with our friends and allies to stand up for freedom and democracy.

Christoph, I reflect on two years ago, when I first stood on this stage on the eve of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Many of — of us will recall that time when many thought Kyiv would fall within days.

Yet, the skill and the bravery of the people of Ukraine, along with the leadership of President Zelenskyy and the 50-nation coalition the United States has led, has allowed Ukraine to achieve what so many thought was impossible.

Today, Kyiv stands free and strong.
(Applause.)

The world has come together, with leadership from the United States, to defend the basic principles of sovereignty and territorial integrity and to stop an imperialist authoritarian from subjugating a free and democratic people.

Make no mistake, Putin’s war has already been an utter failure for Russia.

Ukraine has regained more than half the territory Russia occupied at the start of the conflict thanks, in part, to a massive supply of American and European weapons.

The Russian military has suffered severe setbacks. It has lost two thirds of its tanks and more than a third of its fleet in the Black Sea.

Because of Putin’s aggression and recklessness, Russia has also suffered over 300,000 casualties. Remember, that’s more than five times what it lost in 10 years in Afghanistan. And now it forces conscripts onto the frontlines with as little as two weeks of training.

We have also imposed economic costs on Russia for its aggression. And together with our G7 partners, we have frozen Russia’s sovereign assets and made clear Russia must pay for the damages it has caused to Ukraine.

I applaud the recent $54 billion commitment the EU made to support Ukraine on top of the more than $100 billion our European allies and partners have already dedicated.

You have made clear that Europe will stand with Ukraine, and I will make clear President Joe Biden and I stand with Ukraine. (Applause.)

In partnership with supportive, bipartisan majorities in both houses of the United States Congress, we will work to secure critical weapons and resources that Ukraine so badly needs. And let me be clear: The failure to do so would be a gift to Vladimir Putin.

More broadly, NATO is central to our approach to global security. For President Biden and me, our sacred commitment to NATO remains ironclad. And I do believe, as I have said before, NATO is the greatest military alliance the world has ever known.

NATO was founded on a very simple premise: An attack on one is an attack on all. And when it comes to conflict between nations, NATO has deterred aggression against its members to the benefit of the security of the American people.

For the past 75 years, NATO members have maintained this solemn pact, including on 9/11 when terrorists attacked America and for the first and only time, NATO invoked Article 5, the collective defense clause. And NATO stood by America’s side.

Nevertheless, recall, before the President and I took office, some questioned the usefulness of NATO, suggested it was, quote, “obsolete.”

Some in my country also questioned the value of our commitment to NATO’s collective defense and called for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Germany.

Now, thanks to the leadership of the United States, NATO is stronger, larger, more unified, and more effective than ever before.

We have reinforced NATO’s eastern flank with more weapons and forces, including air defense and fighter coverage, a sustained presence of army brigades, and a permanent U.S Army headquarters in Poland.

And, of course, Europeans are also stepping up. Since President Biden and I took office, the number of NATO members that have met the goal of spending 2 percent of GDP has doubled. NATO has also added one new member, and we’re on track to add another. And we look forward to welcoming both Finland and Sweden to Washington for NATO’s 75th anniversary summit this summer. (Applause.)

Around the world, we have made great progress. But ultimately, I do believe none of the gains we have made will be permanent unless we are vigilant. And let us remember, none of these gains were inevitable.

I ask you: Imagine if America turned our back on Ukraine and abandoned our NATO Allies and abandoned our treaty commitments. Imagine if we went easy on Putin, let alone encouraged him.

History offers a clue. If we stand by while an aggressor invades its neighbor with impunity, they will keep going. And in the case of Putin, that means all of Europe would be threatened.

If we fail to impose severe consequences on Russia, other authoritarians across the globe would be emboldened, because you see, they will be watching — they are watching and drawing lessons.

History has also shown us: If we only look inward, we cannot defeat threats from outside. Isolation is not insulation.

In fact, when America has isolated herself, threats have only grown.

I need not remind the people of Europe of a dark history when the forces of tyranny and fascism were on the march, and then America joined our allies in defense of freedom and to safeguard our collective security.

So, I’ll close with this. In these unsettled times, it is clear: America cannot retreat. America must stand strong for democracy. We must stand in defense of international rules and norms, and we must stand with our allies.

That is what represents the ideals of America, and the American people know that is what make us strong.

And make no mistake, the American people will meet this moment, and America will continue to lead.

I thank you very much. (Applause.)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

it is amazing that people are doing orcface in this day and age
https://twitter.com/NATO/status/1758410811406516713

lol why the gently caress is she wearing civilian cat's eye glasses instead of BEWs?!

:psyduck:

Also, wearing face camo yet the high vis national flag.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuw14h4WIsc

lol you wouldn't even think Ukraine lost going from this video jfc

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BUeIakycts

lol it's bad

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Starsfan posted:

Maybe you just aren't clever enough to get the subtle ironic humor Lazerpig brings to his videos.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Lazerpig. The content is extremely nuanced, and without a solid grasp of military operations, most of the references will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Lazerpig's strategic outlook, which is skillfully woven into his commentary—his personal analysis draws heavily from Clausewitzian doctrine, for example. The true fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these references, to realize that they're not just informative—they say something deep about WARFARE. As a consequence, people who dislike Lazerpig truly ARE missing out—of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the depth in Lazerpig's oft-quoted maxim "Control the high ground," which itself is a cryptic reference to the age-old military principle of securing advantageous terrain. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those confounded simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Lazerpig's genius unfolds itself on their screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Lazerpig tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the connoisseurs' eyes only— and even then, they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

This seems to be exactly what's been happening for about 24 hours now

That's the rumour.

As well as rumours of them leaving their wounded behind, but you never know what's just a story on telegram and what the real deal is.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ISW went from using literally dozens of sources, including original research, in their articles before 2022, to relying on the Ukrainian military's Facebook page.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol it took 24 hours for her to try to get in on Navalny's spot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oARQ_F5Zrn4

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

What the gently caress is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgZ1jpkpL8

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Experienced soldiers are less likely to risk their lives, after having been in combat for more than a few months. This was the experience of the BEF compared to the New Army in 1916, and of the 7th Armoured Division in Normandy compared to formations that had not seen action in Africa and Italy yet. A similar thing happened to 8th Air Force bomber crews.

It makes sense, right? If you know what combat is like, yes you're more experienced, but a lot of that experience is keeping yourself alive. Green troops are enthusiastic and don't know what they're risking yet.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ro5s posted:

This was basically inevitable, there's been a current through the whole series of the liberal upset that the Nazis didn't crush the Soviets for them, the end of the war was always going to get handwringy.

Well, like, they describe Soviet artillery as crude, when... you know it crushed entire German army groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4-ILV0-kxw

I feel like 2022 is undoing whatever progress was made in WW2 pop history since 2000.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

Granted, that is a difference between green and experienced volunteers or perhaps "willing" conscripts, but I would expect the people hiding in basements to have even less of a willingness to fight. The Ukrainians need more men that actually want to die for their country, because the old timers seem like they know the score and the rest of the population is terrified.

They shot their bolt last summer because they had a huge amount of very enthusiastic troops who thought victory was just around the corner and then dashed them to pieces.

It not only squandered the manpower they had, obviously it makes recruiting their replacements more difficult.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

A Pole accusing anyone of antisemitism is loving rich.

Was it Anne Applebaum who explained the many, many, accounts of Poles drawing their fingers across their necks to Jews corralled onto box cars as some sort of gesture of sympathy?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Have liberals tried to explain why Ukraine marks their vehicles with white crosses, or are they just ignoring that?

It's so funny that Poland keeps providing them huge amounts of military aid. Their national heroes, ideology and even insignia is "we hate Poles!", but alas.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I like Glantz, I think I have all of his books around here somewhere, so I'm obviously very conflicted about this.

The guy was, admittedly, a bit of a Kremlinologist ("Russia whisperer") when he was working at the doctrine office in the 80's, but after the Soviet archives opened he seemed open to reinterpreting the USSR. I also badly want him to finish the Stumbling Colossus, Colossus Reborn trilogy with the book covering 1944-45 he's been working on for a decade.

e: Gradenko, it's hardly a style to highlight the entire page!

ee: I was conflicted because on first reading I thought he was denying the various German and Polish plots in the USSR, but on second reading, yeah I think Glantz was right.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Feb 17, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im really struggling to see how they can amass another "mountain of steel" for ukraine to use for another ill fated summer offensive. A lot of the equipment that was being shipped for ukraine to use was already mothballed and didnt work right, they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel already. What can they expect to get now?

They'll get more weapons that damage the Russians in a way that the US and NATO want, but isn't to Ukraine's advantage. Striking the Black Sea Fleet is a perfect example. It's an absolutely insane waste of resources from the Ukrainian point of view, but as far as NATO is concerned is a fantastic investment. So, more missiles, drones, poo poo like that.

Probably more poo poo to push various red lines, since, because of the "humiliation- as-politics" thing we've discussed EU officials particularly seem to relish that. I'm no good at psychoanalysis, but having been to von der Leyen's announcement in Canada, people really like when they do things that are of little to no military value but are flaunting that Russia can't just bomb Ramstein Air Base.

I don't know how to explain it, but they are really, really, into this idea that Ukraine takes all the blows and they get to damage Russia "for free", and the more gratuitous it is, in terms of cruise missiles, cluster munitions, ISR, whatever, the more they feel like it's je ne sais quoi, important?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Feb 17, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I feel like interwar Poland has really skated on a tonne of poo poo. Reading those books last year that persecution of the Jews was massively ramping up throughout the 1930's feels like reading the Epstein thread - in the sense that I can see the contours of something, but I have no idea what it is. The same goes for books that allude to - but never state - the extent of Polish military and intelligence preparations against the USSR, the purpose of British photorecon flights over the USSR that fell into German hands, what the Little Entente was for if France told it to stand down against Germany etc.

Britain and France's Central European allies defecting to become the Axis minors has never been thoroughly explained because there are like a half dozen books on Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria in WW2, and pretty much none (in English) on the interwar years.

Mussolini was preposing the Stresa Front and Little Entente be combined in 1935, in which case any Germany aggression, even the Anschluss and remilitarization of the Rhineland, seem like they would end there and then.

But Poland? Poland was definitely up to something. They annexed part of Czechoslovakia, and seem to have given some sort of assurances to the Germans they wouldn't intervene. They were definitely running all sorts of intelligence operations throughout the region. Their rearmament was half in secret, including weird episodes like stealing plans from France to produce unlicensed military equipment.

When Slovak and Hungarian forces clashed, I seem to recall Germany asked Poland for support if it got out of hand.

I don't know, there is so much of liberal history I've yet to excise about the interwar years, it does make learning these various parts in isolation feel like a tinfoil hat, red string thing. How else are you supposed to make sense of things like the British arming Franco through Gibraltar? Czechoslovakia not being a thriving democratic society at all? Poland being a military dictatorship that was escalating in persecuting the Jews?

There's no one book that's like "here's why the entire history of the antiwar years was fabricated, actually Britain and France cared exclusively about anticommunism", so, like reading Chaos or Aberration in the Heartland of the Real, there's just the contour of something.

VoicesCanBe posted:

I know it's been harped on over and over but I still can't wrap my head around Russia taking seven times as many casualties while outnumbering the Ukrainians 10 to 1 and the AFU having massive artillery shortages

I guess the brave defenders of Ukraine are simply that powerful

A reason you know it's bullshit (and everyone important knows it's bullshit) is that it would be so unprecedented in military history that people would be frantically researching a development that revolutionary. Small arms inflicting more casualties than crew served weapons by that amount has not happened since about 1870, so you would expect a military revolution as dramatic in the opposite direction, as militaries gave up their field guns and machine guns, and theorists developed new tactics to take advantage of the infantry rifle as the premiere weapons system.

I'm not bullshitting. I can dig up my books on 1865, 1866 and 1871 about how rapidly everyone reacted to casualty figures caused by new weapons that it completely transformed war. The Boer War led to high velocity field guns going from a bit of an oddity to one of the most common weapons in major armies overnight. The Russo-Japanese War led just about every military that could afford to buying machine guns as quickly as they could. Doesn't it stand to reason that the opposite would be true as well?

If what the Ukrainians are saying is true, and people believe it's true, we should see the return of 20 man infantry sections mostly armed with rifles, volley sights on rifles, etc. because that's how you would react, sensibly, to small arms inflicting so favourable an exchange. The Ukrainians are mostly on foot, so we should see other militaries drop their AFVs, since they're plainly obsolete. Entire field artillery battalions should be converting to FPV drones*, if they are not just as good as, but better than artillery, as has been reported for the past three weeks or so.

*4 RCA doesn't count, that was just because they needed something to do after AAA/SAMs were obsolete in 1991.

It's just exhausting, really, seeing people fall for the same line over and over. Because we know crew served weapons, mostly artillery, inflicts 90% of casualties and has for 130 years. We know who had more crew served weapons, mostly artillery, and we know how much more. Even accounting for attacking prepared positions, which KORA does, btw, we know the degree to which weapons neutralize the defender's advantage and can estimate what the relative casualties are.

Anything else requires you to believe in idk metaphysics. The inherent, unmeasurable, superiority of the Ukrainians or inferiority of the Russians, or magic, basically, is the only way you can figure out how a defender armed primarily with 5.45mm small arms with an effective range of 300m could inflict greater casualties on an enemy with superior numbers of weapons with greater casualty producing effects across all ranges. It's the weekend so I can't actually gently caress around with it, but I'm positive you couldn't get KORA to produce those results at all, you would have to do something like tweak it so your troops were literally superhuman.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Feb 17, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Flournival Dixon posted:

I read this first part and was about to respond with the second part until i read you already wrote it.

They literally just think Ukrainians have racial superiority bonus where it's like one space marine equals a squad of regular guys, they're not approaching it like a science or even like something that requires evidence for beliefs in the first place. That all got thrown out when history ended I guess.

It's one of those things where I worry a bit. If they're just gassing up the Ukrainians to be a cost effective method of containing Russia, sure. Feed into their belief that they belong to a racially and culturally superior west. If this is just propaganda for western domestic consumption, yeah I get it. Plucky Ukraine, Marvel movies, loving whatever.

The danger is if anyone important actually believes this sort of thing, because then we could get in real trouble. Idk, did they really believe the ARVN and ANA were doing great, or did they just want us to believe it? There's a pretty big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRfnag9nAso

lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Even the needle being threaded here by both the journalist and the professor at the UK's defence college is... incomprehensible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAfm5Vq9c4

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Officer Sandvich posted:

This rang some alarm bells in my head, thats why i have some questions here: is it true that russia is not as aggressive as it could be (e.g. in Destroying cities)?

lol I am so curious what answer they get.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Officer Sandvich posted:

The Ukrainian government not wanting a peace deal at the moment is 100% understandable, since any treaty they could reach right now would a) make them permanently lose large parts of their country b) still lead to another war of Russian aggression once they rebuilt their army.

Oh, okay then.

What's the plan?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

supersnowman posted:

They are smarter, more capable, more effective, more creative, and more determined.

Strangely all things that can't be quantified. Weird.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol this guy is like half of the way to getting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5NbyHX_CO0

"I was trained in Russian tactics at Fort Irwin and they're extremely successful" "The Russians are just doing a bad job" "The fighting spirit of the Ukrainian people makes victory impossible for Russia"

:thunk:

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Feb 17, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Megamissen posted:

how is the goon-looking lpr reporter doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGBc6Pza3G8

One of the guys he speaks to ~5:00 was there when Russian targeted their own POW camp with HIMARs, to prove they could strike other POW camps if they wanted to.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Feb 17, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Kiev Independent said a week ago that the Ukrainians haven't been digging trenches or preparing a fall back line

10/10 planning.

DONETSK OBLAST – As artillery began pounding the cold-hardened ground ahead of them, two Ukrainian soldiers listened warily to shell impacts creep closer.

They were squeezed together in a roughly dug hole no deeper than half a meter, in a meager defensive position on the front line north of Avdiivka – an embattled city just outside Russian-occupied Donetsk in eastern Ukraine. It was November, and cold weather had already gripped the east of the country.

The two soldiers, Oleksandr, 42, and Anatoly, 31, sat quietly together, holding their breath. Oleksandr knew that the hole provided inadequate cover for the two men.

And as he had feared, a Russian mortar landed right next to the pair on their fifth and last night at the position. Anatoly was struck in the back by shrapnel.

"Everything happened quickly, and he was screaming," Oleksandr said, recalling how the darkness prevented him from seeing anything.

"I wrapped him (with bandages), did everything (I could)," he added, describing how he felt all over Anatoly’s body to feel the wetness of blood to work out where his comrade had been wounded.

The pair had to wait 10 hours for medical evacuation due to the relentless Russian shelling. Of two other pairs of soldiers positioned nearby, three were killed and one wounded in the same artillery attack.

The account of Oleksandr, a soldier with an anti-tank platoon of the 47th Separate Mechanized Brigade, matches other testimony that there are almost no fortified positions on the very front line near Avdiivka – further threatening the lives of those tasked with defending the city.

Many infantrymen and other soldiers deployed on the first line of defense have complained that their positions – often just holes like the one described by Oleksandr – appear to have been poorly prepared ahead of the major Russian offensive on Avdiivka. With Russian forces constantly on heavy assault, there is almost no time to build anything more.

The second line of defense, a few kilometers behind the front, is still being built, according to nearly a dozen interviewed soldiers.

While Russia continued to strengthen its defense lines even as it launched an offensive on multiple axes over the winter, Ukraine appears to have done little to prepare for a long attritional battle during its summer counteroffensive.

Given the current intensity of the Russian attacks on front-line positions at Avdiivka, soldiers say they have to make do with what they have.

This puts soldiers’ lives at heightened risk, leaving them without proper protection from Russia’s continuous attacks.

In comments to the Kyiv Independent, the Defense Ministry said that Ukraine has been constructing the fortifications near Avdiivka since 2014 and has been focusing on areas at highest risk since 2022.

However, in November 2023, President Volodymyr Zelensky called for work on fortifying Ukrainian defenses on the major fronts to be accelerated. Ukraine then created a working group to organize the building of second and third defensive lines using private contractors – with the military organizing the first defense line.

All the same, even a well-built trench needs to be constantly maintained, as Russia is using "bulldozer tactics," according to former Ukrainian colonel and military analyst Serhiy Hrabskyi.

Hrabskyi stressed that positions on the first defense line – regardless of how much time was spent on their fortification – could be quickly deformed due to the sheer force of Russia’s firepower.

These are deliberate Russian tactics: pounding Ukrainian positions with artillery and mortar fire so that only small holes are left, and the defense is compromised, the expert said. It would be suicidal for engineering troops to come forward to construct fortifications during active fighting, he added.

But no matter the conditions of the positions, the Ukrainian soldiers say that they are determined to hold the ground for as long as their commanders order them to defend Avdiivka.

"I’m ready, but I don't know if I’ll be there until the end," Oleksandr said as he spoke to the Kyiv Independent, sitting on a bed in a cottage behind the lines where he was based. Tears welling in his eyes, he said he was thinking of his daughter.

Ukraine’s military admitted on Feb. 8 that Russian forces had entered Avdiivka.

"Combat clashes are taking place not only in the residential sector in the north of the city, but also within the city’s urban development," said Dmytro Lykhovii, a spokesman for Tavria group overseeing the southeastern front.

Russian forces are applying their main efforts in the north of Avdiivka, trying to cut off the main logistic route into the city and achieve its "operational encirclement," Lykhovii said.

Now the situation in Avdiivka, a Ukrainian fortress that was briefly occupied in 2014, is more critical than ever, with Russian forces only a few kilometers away from fully encircling the city.

Ukrainian soldiers – even those defending the city since the beginning of the full-scale war – acknowledged that the fall of Avdiivka seems inevitable, given Russia’s offensive capability that is extremely costly but still effective in the long run.

Rob Lee, a military expert and Senior Fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute, agrees that "if the flanks collapse too far and the resupply roads come under too much fire, there may be a point where it becomes too difficult or costly to continue holding the city."

"If Russia commits enough resources to Avdiivka and Ukraine runs low on artillery ammunition, Russia may be able to take the city – though likely only at high cost," Lee said.

For sapper Oleksandr, the initial days of Russia’s major offensive on Avdiivka are a blur.

Deployed near the plant, Oleksandr went as close as 50 to 100 meters from the nearest Russian positions to lay anti-personnel and anti-tank mines in what he called "the dead zone." Targeting the routes often used by Russian assault groups, he worked sector by sector during the quieter moments, day and night.

But that’s not enough to stop the Russians.

"It is necessary to build a line of defense with trenches, a system of fire points, minefields, etc.," Oleksandr explained. “For us, it's like this: We have trenches, and that's it, it's enough.”

"We just need to build a defense line in which they (the Russian troops) would suffer colossal losses. It is being built, but f*ck, if it had been built (earlier)…"

Nearly two years into the full-scale war, long-lingering problems – including the lack of preparation of fortifications – are starting to become even more serious.

Along the front line, Ukrainian soldiers complain of severe shortages of ammunition, equipment, troops, and drones.

Compared to the 120 shells allocated to each tank in southern Kherson Oblast during Ukraine’s fall 2022 counteroffensive, for example, tanks are now rationed 15-20 shells each as of December, according to tank crews with the 59th brigade.

A group of soldiers from a Grad 122 mm multiple rocket launcher battery with the 59th also said the ammunition shortage only allows them to shoot one rocket at a time – while their launchers can shoot 40 in one salvo.

"We’re working like regular, barrel artillery right now," soldier Bohdan said. "Instead of 40 (rockets, we’re shooting) one."

Military experts said that the future of the battle for Avdiivka would depend on how many resources each side is able to garner for it. For Ukraine, Western military aid will thus be a crucial factor in the coming months.

Ukraine's Defense Ministry and the General Staff didn't respond to the Kyiv Independent's questions as of publication time.

Among the most serious issues reported all along the front line is that Ukraine is facing a major personnel shortage – particularly in the infantry.

To reinforce infantry units after heavy losses, Ukraine has transferred soldiers from units specialized in artillery or logistics to infantry positions, according to the soldiers interviewed by the Kyiv Independent. This means soldiers deployed on the first defensive line may not even know the basic survival skills of an infantryman, which results in even more casualties.

Serhii, a 20-year-old artilleryman with the 59th, said that his originally 64-man artillery group had sent 15 men to the front line. He said most of them had been killed in their first days there. He attributes it to the fact they "knew almost nothing" about being in the infantry. Only four out of 15 survived.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Feb 17, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's unavoidable now that NATO soldiers and civilians will be dying

It's funny, in a way, because imo it reveals that they still think they're in the club, rather than being expendable. They weren't used so NATO soldiers and civilians wouldn't die instead, their deaths were a way to inflict costs on Russia that NATO leadership would otherwise have to pass up.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

V. Illych L. posted:

about a year ago i read a paper which was someone from the defence research institute doing, basically, p-hacking to reconciled "by most measures the US is a terrible ally" and "several governments base their entire security policy around their alliance with the US". the premise was that the latter being true must mean that the former is wrong, so the paper ended up being a reformulation of the indicators on what makes a good ally

i seriously considered writing a letter to the editor of the journal where it was posted alleging serious academic misconduct, but that would've meant spending a lot of energy on familiarising myself with a new jargon and subject matter and also being an rear end in a top hat. reading that thing was a real eye-opener to me though

e.
https://www.ffi.no/publikasjoner/arkiv/measuring-alliance-reliability-current-practices-and-future-research

Incredible

dk2m posted:

ive stopped even trying to explain anything to my lib friends prior to Feb 2022 on what happened in Donbass, let alone anything at all post 1991, because the last nearly decade of relentless anti-Russian propaganda has turned history itself into Russian disinformation in their eyes

the same people are fine with using history to understand the legacy of things like slavery into why we see different outcomes for black folks here though.

consistency of anything is the antithesis of lib brains. the fragmentation of Hegels process oriented way of thinking into the deconstruction/geneology method of post structuralism has been an absolute gift to neoliberalism - history becomes divorced from reality where context takes on a moral dimension, and simply knowing things is viewed with intense suspicion. you must know the RIGHT things as demanded by the cultural zeitgeist, because it’s obvious that the wrong things are just disinformation. it’s funny how conspiratorial liberals have become, relying on the same rhetorical devices that flat earthers and the like use

It creates intense amounts of trouble for people who know the history of, say, the Israeli Army poisoning wells in 1948.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

V. Illych L. posted:

come on!!!!

a lot of the specific objections to "prevailing research design" on this literature seem basically fine to me, but laying it out like this really is giving away the game a bit

I appreciate how nakedly ideological it is. Without writing a whole bunch about neoliberalism and the rejection of material reality and inability to acknowledge power and coercion, redefining what an alliance is rather than admitting the US doesn't have allies, it has vassals, is... it's great.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

fizziester posted:

Ukraine's Defence Intelligence reveals that its officers secured corridor for Ukrainian soldiers leaving Avdiivka

Special forces of DIU, as part of Ukraine's Security and Defence Forces, defended the last road from Avdiivka for a week,

You know, a cynical person might worry about the internal security ministry's forces blocking securing the route broken troops had to retreat through.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

Here's my paper:

The US doesn't engage in alliance relationships. The US engages in vassal relationships, which by their nature are one-sided in creating obligations for the vassal, and benefits for the overlord, but not the other way around. The US calling these vassal relationships alliance relationships is propaganda.

That's it. That's my paper. Somebody give me a loving PhD in international relations because I understand this poo poo better than most professors in the field.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Dokapon Findom posted:

I just frame it from my own perspective which is I love my fake country but I also hate nazis and if my fake country is run by real nazis then it being destroyed is a good thing

I do low key feel kinda bad for the Croatian poster who discovered the process of creating a Croatian identity was the exact same as creating a Ruthenian one, at the same time, and for the same reasons. And we didn't even discuss what Political Croatians got up to during the war. Or the anticommunist movement of Political Croatians, who immigrated to Australia "for some reason", had outsize political influence, and were allowed to create a national identity after 1991, with what I would argue were predictable results.

But yeah, most of us live in fake countries that were created as part of great power politics between 1700-1848. Belgium, obviously, is pretty high on that list, but the French hexagon is a similarly artificial construction.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

So BAE is still not producing new guns...Nexter Systems has like a 10 year backlog of orders to fill, Bofors is way behind on ARCHER orders.

They didn't just give away their entire artillery arm temporarily, they gave it away for ... lol who the gently caress knows?

I was going to say this is going to severely gently caress their training pipeline and promotion schedule (what do you do with 2 regiments of gunners with no equipment?) but then I read that the Danish military is a disorganized joke that does this sort of thing regularly since 1991:

The Danish Artillery Regiment (DAR, Danish: Danske Artilleriregiment) is an artillery unit of the Royal Danish Army, which was founded on 1 November 2005 when the two artillery regiments in Denmark, King's Artillery Regiment and Queen's Artillery Regiment were merged. The unit was disbanded in 2014 and revived in 2019.

:psyduck:

Orange Devil posted:

Sounds treasonous to the Danish state to me but oh well.

Also, yeah. Someone walk me through the neoliberal mindset because this is loving... phew.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Feb 18, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

My favorite political-identity development going on right now is in France, in that France is always presented as indivisible, including all the overseas parts, except France is currently discussing going from Jus Soli to Jus Sanguinis for Mayotte because of immigration.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/14/why-is-france-revoking-birthright-citizenship-in-mayotte

Not so indivisible after all, honhonhon?

The British did this with the West Indies in the 60's.

I know people tease me about this poo poo, but it's a betrayal of the Empire (and empire colonial français I suppose) and all that it stood for* to do something like this after the sacrifices that had been made for both.

To give just some few examples,

The West Indies Regiment won battle honours at Ypres, and fought in 3 theatres.

A generation later, the King's African Rifles liberated Burma.

In the Second World War, Metropolitan France was liberated mostly by Senegalese and Algerian troops.

During the fall of France, Germans shot them out of hand when they were captured.

Two thirds of French troops in Indochina were Colonial troops, often up to three quarters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3PRNAJsdqM

C'est nous les Africains
Qui revenons de loin,
Nous venons des colonies
Pour sauver la Patrie (pour défendre le pays)
Nous avons tout quitté
Parents, gourbis, foyers
Et nous gardons au cœur
Une invincible ardeur
Car nous voulons porter haut et fier
Le beau drapeau de notre France entière
Et si quelqu'un venait à y toucher,
Nous serions là pour mourir à ses pieds
Battez tambours, à nos amours,
Pour le Pays, pour la Patrie, mourir au loin
C'est nous les Africains !

To fail to live up to the promise of an imperial family after blood had been spilled... what is a country worth if it does not honour its liberators? "We come from the colonies, To save the Fatherland, We left everything...Because we want to wear it high and proud, The beautiful flag of our whole France".

France entière, the hexagon, is worthless, if the sacrifices made in its name have no meaning. French citizenship is worthless if it is closed off to people who fought and died as Frenchmen for France. Give away Alsace-Moselle, give away Nice, give away Grenoble and Toulon. If French citizenship should retract, so should her borders. The country isn't worth the blood spilled to extend them.

* Again, a point of disagreement with C-SPAM regulars

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Feb 18, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

We keep telling you FF, you can't seperate the racism from the imperialism.

Well, I can, but if other people fell asleep during their indoc on Canadian values in week 2 of basic... 💅

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Feb 18, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Well this is a problem as it means :freeland: will probably take over the LPC leadership.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The credulity of western journos actually gives me a headache. Have you met anyone named Adolf born after 1940?

It's like saying your callsign is "Napoleon" but the journalist assuming it had no connection to the Emperor of France.

e: The same goes for any vaguely "Viking" or "Norse" name in a country that is both Slavic and has been Christian for over a thousand years, but that's harder to pin people on because there's that veil of plausible deniability. Western journalists and academics will twist themselves into insane knots to characterize the neopagan thing as an authentic religious movement, somehow.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

What happened to the frosted flake handle

Lloyd's of London would not cover transit of IP thread for the duration of the conflict.