Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Azathoth posted:

I'm old enough to remember the Iraq War runup and so much of what is happening in the media feels just like that.

i was aware of it but probably too young to appreciate it, 25% cognisant i would say, which is probably a godsend because if i wasn’t i’d probably have pulled my hair out and gone insane over the past few years especially now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Olena Zelenska says she hopes Musk’s Ukraine peace tweet was ‘chance mistake’

Exclusive: First lady says ‘even smartest people could be influenced by Russian propaganda’

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Majorian posted:

I took an overnight train from Moscow to Petersburg once, and it was like this. Very pretty, although I wish I had taken it during the daytime so I could see the landscape. Russia got the nice trains.

it’s very nice and quite fun how they just keep trying to get you to buy something off the snack trolley which consists of caviar, vodka and weird nescafé

just nonstop caviar

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Majorian posted:

S-shut up! We just want every single one of the Obamas (NOT MALIK) to be President for the rest of our lives because of the feels.:qq:

For content:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1588935995948515330

lmao, say what you will about the Ukrainian government, they've got balls.

lol right? I didn't know how to say "gently caress you, I'm trying to sleep" in Russian at the time.

the trick is to answer the door naked, they stopped after that

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought bonk meant to “do the sex”, or are they actually suggesting to kill the pope

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Truga posted:

well would you look at that, it's the same map again
what are the odds

say what you want about poland but they at least haven’t yet put up any monuments celebrating nazis

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the quicker this war finishes the better imo

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i guess the best thing to do is have either a ukrainian or russian flag on standby and wave them at whichever murderous band of warriors happen to march through your front garden

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i bet they were sanction busting cheese into russia

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

absolutely owns that you can just call up international world leaders and be “yo dog, what do you think about this recent outrage” and not only will they not hang up they’ll have a chat and tell you exactly what they’re thinking, more than their own cabinet probably knows

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

paul_soccer12 posted:

If the kiev regime starts realistically threatening Crimea I think it's time for Russia to consider using nuclear weapons. In my opinion

probably won’t work against human wave attacks on quad bikes though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ukraine is a big place, are they serious about the “big israel” thing and in 20 years we’re going to see news reports about illegal settlements in the east with a russian speaking “palestinian” population under constant harassment

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if i had the choice i would rather wrap my feet than wear socks if i was trudging around trenches all day, not least because when i get trench foot the medical team can just unwrap my rotten feet rather than deglove everything when they pull off my socks

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Those mercs all look like they lift weights. Not sure whether that's good

that and ‘roids

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the high value stuff is still being produced by the USA, but china is increasingly reaching parity

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

cool so if you raise questions about the holodomor in germany you can expect to be put in jail?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

$20,000 trench warfare DLC and it’s just a bucket with muddy water you have to put your feet in for 6 hours at a time

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

i get bad vibes every time I see this lady and I think it's because she has Thatcher/Hillary hair

she has generational wealth from literal slave owing southern planters

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

russian accounts of a deadly surrender incident omits a key fact is a fun new use of the passive voice, also lol “fact checkers”

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Watching this video made me lightheaded from the dummy with the fake femoral artery bleed. I do not do well with blood.

Aren't you usually hosed if you actually have your femoral artery severed by a gunshot wound?

it does depend but sometimes huge injuries aren’t fatal, for example im aware of a case of a farmer who managed to lose his forearm in some machinery and managed to walk away and get to hospital, purely thanks to the arterial wall spasm stopping him from hosing out all his blood

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

well at least they didn’t manage to fit on a sparkly Dirlewanger brigade badge, so small victories i suppose

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the fuse on the bomb should be lit, and the bomb should be under a school or hospital

bonus points if something labelled “government debt” makes it in

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

but where can those civilians go now? winter is here and energy prices are really putting the hurt on people would would normally be able to take them in, just grim all round ( unless your plan is just for more bloodshed)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if you think about it maybe putin should have been time man of the year

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

probably best to donate things in 4s, so they only take 1

give 5, 2 will go missing, give 3, 1 will go missing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Starsfan posted:

It's wild to me that almost a year later the Ukrainian army is still basically In the suburbs of Donetsk. I'm sure Russia has been doing important things elsewhere but they really need to get around to clearing those guys out of the neighborhood

yes to me this really underlines how this war isn’t really being done to protect the civilians in the new bits of russia/ separatists republics

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

PawParole posted:

Russia’s war on “nazis” in Ukraine is working like America’s war on terror in Iraq. Bandera was a joke before Russia invaded, now they’ve laundered his reputation lol.

bet a huge proportion of the negative column have left the country though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i wish texas had those psychoneurological dispensaries set up. most people go to oklahoma now

sounds like something out of cyberpunk 2077

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There is no ceasefire treaty, remember? Ukriane rejected the Christmas ceasefire.

it’s almost as good as when the us complains that iran isn’t holding up it’s part of the nuclear deal, which trump unilaterally ripped up

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

those salt mines do look amazing

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

the world-famous ivy league guy is 10000% jeffrey sachs right

regardless, this kind of censorship is actually kind of shocking

publish or perish

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if turkey and greece had a war who would win? i would assume nato would join up with greece of course

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

isn’t Greece a lightly populated collection of denuded islands

even the mainland is just a bunch of unliveable rocks

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i love that the game changing swedish innovation in war fighting in the victorian era was to not just line up into little boxes and shoot wildly inaccurate muskets, but to also actually run at the other guys and scare them off

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if you actually read what he said, he says that he’s not giving the tanks to ukraine, they’re actually part on an invasion force for retaking lviv

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

only listened to half of it and they don’t mention which european country specifically , but i assume it’s one of the baltics causing trouble

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Surgeons remove unexploded grenade lodged in Ukrainian soldier’s chest

amazing stuff, looks like this poor kid had massive right sided chest trauma and a grenade stuck right next to his heart

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Fell Mood posted:

Umm, I'm supposed to use my big guns to kill the evil enemy in glorious heroic combat. WTF is this digging trenches and firing positions poo poo. I didn't sign up to dig holes.

i would simply use the big guns to make the trenches for me, or at least 90% of it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

actually the main azov guy said it stands for national identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Sad day for British tankies.

Britain Announces It Will Send Tanks To Ukraine - Jan 14

https://www.rferl.org/a/britain-kyiv-send-tanks-ukraine/32223386.html

i don’t know much about tanks but i presume these things are like gundams? the main character ones obviously not the little green ones that get stomped all the time