Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Al-Saqr posted:

I played the test significantly and i played VT2 a couple of times, Darktide is fine in terms of dialogue and banter VT2 is significatly stronger in that department overall because they’re strictly defined characters with very strong and unique personalities they really nailed their chemistries in a way actual fantasy novelists would struggle to, I was very skeptical at first when people were complaining but playing it a couple times I have to confirm the characters are leagues more interesting overall than in darktide. That might change though in darktide it’s too early to say.

I've been saying it since I started playing VT2 at launch: the best thing about the game, bar none, is the quality of the writing and characterization. As jank as Fatshark is and as much as I love everything about the game anyway, it's just leagues better than most fantasy writing out there in games and it does it with what is effectively ambient character dialogue.

I still think about how chilling it was the first time I heard the voice in Drachenfels and how everyone responded to Sienna talking to herself. Or how Saltzpyre and Sienna--or Kerillian and literally everyone else--go from reluctant allies with unambiguous disgust to comrades to genuine friends who care about each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

This is incredible, the Slayer and Shade ones are perfect and remain true since Day 1.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Everyone telling Bardin to shut up when he tried singing to eventually getting the earworm and joining in (with Kerillian getting grumpy at herself at having done it and Saltzpyre not quite singing but tone-deafingly humming along) is an amazing payoff.

I'm gonna miss the U5 so much :(

If we don't get a VT3 I will riot, no matter how long it takes. There just aren't any games out there with melee combat this good, and as neat as Darktide will be, I'm sure, I still have some reservations about what the Legend/Cata gameplay will look like and whether or not it will hold up in the same way.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

raverrn posted:

I wonder if you're just supposed to go down a lot as Ogryn. Between the tons of HP and extra Wound, maybe that's the gameplay loop.

Sure feels bad though.

While I haven't played a lot after installing earlier today, I can pretty much guarantee going down isn't part of an intended gameplay loop. Based on the mechanics as I understand them now, there's probably some method of regenerating toughness that Ogryn has to compensate for how large they are and how open that makes them to taking ranged hits. It might not open up until higher levels.

The game does still have absolutely the same problem Recruit/Veteran (and sometimes Champion) does in VT2 in that people do not prioritize damage avoidance remotely enough. If something gets into melee range it's functionally literally better every single time to swap to your melee weapon and start blocking, dodging, and pushing.

Power does seem to still effect how many enemies you can cleave through with a power attack before the attack stops and you have to swing again, so managing hordes should be easier once we start reaching higher levels and have higher leveled items. Pushing large groups is still extremely effective and I have to imagine Ogryn's weapons all have massive effective cones for the push.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

SterlingSylver posted:

Documentation also could use some help. Why is all my health purple? As far as I know I've barely been hit, but now everyone has no health. What does a level up do if I only get feats at the 5s.

If Darktide is anything like VT2, and I wholly expect it will be, we won't have an actual solid understanding of the stats with concrete numbers until people start datamining and/or creating mods if they add that functionality.

There's some ways to infer what certain things do if you're familiar with VT2 but that's like 4 levels of knowledge obscured from being actual helpful or reasonable for the average player.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Internet Explorer posted:

Seems like lots of people trying to make the jump from level 2 to level 3. The amount of carrying I need to do to get through a match is amazing, lol.

Difficulty 3 is probably always going to be a huge loving nightmare to run with pubbies, especially early on, since it's broadly gonna be the hardcap for people who don't wanna learn how to do proper horde management or that running off on your own won't just get you killed, but could just lead right to a wipe.

A great litmus test for a pubbie being awful is if, when they get to a drop off point of no return spot, they just jump straight down and don't wait to make sure someone else is following behind them.

Overall I'm enjoying my time, though my one tiny gripe is that I can almost mirror my VT2 keybinds exactly, but while you can bind pinging enemies to mouse wheel up it doesn't actually do anything when you try it. I'm so used to idly scrolling up to make sure enemies get highlighted because even the friends I ran Cata with were awful at it, and now it's slightly more annoying to do.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

DeathSandwich posted:

Loner sucks. His favorite TV show would be Rick and Morty and he really wants to talk to you about it. Female loner is okay, but I've not heard many players pick her.

Female loner rules, the voice lines she has when you press F right as you're about to explode make me think maybe she's exactly the kind of insane needed to succeed in this fight.

Orv posted:

What they really need to emphasize, though I have no idea how you do so in a concise tutorial format, is that you don’t just push once, cause then the guys in the back are still gonna slap you. Learning when it’s safe to melee the horde is one of the weirder skills I think.

This is broadly not necessary as long as you're side stepping properly--which is to say than when you're fighting a horde basically all movement should be done via a dodge. I rebind dodge to shift instead of space for this kind of situation. You need to have a good feel for your weapon's cleave and stagger, but if you push or push attack then dodge left or right by the time the non-staggered enemies have finished their attack animation you'll be out of the way.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Orv posted:

This is correct up to a point I feel like, that point being unreliable teammates who end up letting twenty poxwalkers slip past in some of the smaller rooms. That said yeah, that's the right answer and is pretty powerful and probably why they already hit things like the dagger and saber because you could do some really silly things with their absurd dodges.

This highlights another point that only really started to go away on Legend and Cata, and was still so common I decided I would be dedicated Backline no matter what Sienna I was playing: Please, for the love of gently caress, turn around sometimes. Just glance behind you! You don't wanna be One Guy'd! Every so often a Poxwalker (and previously slave rat) will get the brilliant idea to be the one dude who comes up behind you and half the time they were right to do it!

Now that I'm trying out the staves my 400 hours on Sienna are really beginning to translate, though I actually don't think I like the chain lightning staff all that much. I see the use-case in the instance of a large group of armored elites, but broadly I would prefer my teammates just blocked ragers until I could get a head pop off, which if it doesn't kill them on higher difficulties will stagger them for the follow up.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

BombiTheZombie posted:

Apparently Heresy always has the "Increased frequency and size of hordes" modifier active, which explains some of these insane spawnrates. Two crushers, a bulwark, two mutants, three gunners, two shotgunners, a hound and a horde alongside a couple of grenadiers and a bomber. The sheer unfairness of what the game throws at you on difficulty 4 is staggering.

I get why people might not enjoy this, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm looking for and the reason I play these games on the higher difficulties. Getting into a flow state where you're split-second considering the best order to address tons of priority targets and having it go off successfully as a team is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever felt in a co-op game. I have no doubt a large part of it being fun is because I have a full group of friends I play with consistently and we all have the same kind of broken brain, but I love this poo poo.

For example: The most fun moment I've had so far was a really tight battle with a Beast of Nurgle that I clutched out--or would have if I'd be able to get one more headpop in. Instead it ate me, carried me away, and spit me out into a patrol of ragers and maulers. It loving ruled.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

BombiTheZombie posted:

Oh it was hillarious, for sure! Luckily it happened at the start of a mission and not after a gruelling 20+ minute run, but ill be super paranoid around any sort of instakill pit from now on.

VT2 is actually really good about making you latch onto ledges whenever there's even the smallest part for you to grab, and so far DT seems to be similarly good, but yeah sometimes something will get you in the air--like Blightstormers in VT2 and Muties in this one--and through their Nurgle fever will have the clarity to just yeet you into the nearest abyss.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Good psyker tips

Broadly I think all of this is a really good framework for feat picks and I think a lot of it will stay true through most melee and staff changes. I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that the best feats for dif 4 and 5 will be the 15% bonus damage after you use a Brain Burst on a target--that kind of team-wide damage buff just easily outclasses the other options, though I 100% think the Ability CD reduction is the utility pick and the best choice for pubbing. The Tier 4 perk that removes the movespeed reduction on quelling is laughably awful and needs to be changed to something else entirely or have some other added benefit. It would be bad even if staves didn't let you keep (most?) of your movespeed, but the fact that they do makes the feat feel like they just couldn't think of a third option for that row.

You dismiss the Tier 1 talent that regenerates toughness over 5 seconds when you gain a Warp Charge and I think that's broadly fair and almost always a good choice when playing with pubbies, but there's an extremely strong Warp Charge-focused package that can be put together when you pair it with the Tier 3 talent that lets allies have a chance to give you warp charges when they kill enemies. I was testing it out last night with some friends and, as far as I can tell, the toughness recharge stacks, so as long as you're near at least 1 ally during a horde I was functionally immortal on difficulty 3. It provides and interesting choice if you want to be able to literally tank your way through hits while you brain burst priority targets, but again it's hard to want to take that package on higher difficulties when the other Tier 3 options exist.

Soulblaze as it stands feels like a Sienna holdover that should be put into an entirely different career. None of the things that make her DoTs good--enemies on fire take bonus damage, deal less damage, etc--exist on Psyker so you're left with just the lovely DoT. Frankly I don't even want them to adjust it, I would rather them replace it with other talents that play with warp charges and force abilities and just put the soulblaze in another career entirely.

Pretty sure we all know that Voidstrike is gonna get a nerf, but it's probably going to remain excellent post-nerf if it ends up like current Fireball staff in VT2--especially since the new mechanics mean you can go for one that maxes out Blast Radius. Post-nerf Fireball staff remained an excellent choice for horde control since it didn't just stagger enemies like the Flamer but would knock them down, and DT not having friendly fire makes an even better case for it. The DT Conflag staff might just end up as a better choice for that though--I've really liked what I've tried of it in terms of damage and horde clear.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

MuffinsAndPie posted:

Does weapon level really matter as you're leveling up? I don't really want to waste money on getting a new eviscerator if this old one works fine.

Broadly you're almost certainly going to end up replacing everything many times once you're 30 so I would probably recommend being fairly liberal with your normal currency and save your crafting mats if you wanna be frugal.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I finally hit 25 on Psyker and was very excited to try out the 10% Brain Burst on hit feat, but didn't realize Critical Peril meant anything above 80% instead of just 100%, so I'm functionally never in a position to regularly make use of it since I tend to stay as close to 100% as possible.

It's even more unfortunate because the other options at that tier are extremely underwhelming broadly not something I'm very interested in picking. An earlier post mentioned that Zealot feels like two different classes shoved together, and I think Psyker feels much the same as it currently stands. It might change if Soulblaze is buffed to feel remotely useful, but for now a lot of the interesting talents occupy the same tiers with each other and some potentially cool combos just can't happen because of that.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Fishstick posted:

What are good non-forcesword psyker options for melee? I wanna like it but I have years of "melee dudes surprised me => block and push" ingrained in me and with the force sword and juggling high peril its just a liability that gets me blown up way too much. Im using the axe right now which is okay, but I'm hoping there's better options

I like any of the Agile weapons, that being the Combat Knife, Tactical Axe, and Dueling Sword, primarily because they're fast and have significantly larger dodges than all other weapons--the Combat Knife having a larger dodge than the other two. Personally I use the Tactical Axe, primarily the MK II since the first hit in the light chain is an overhead, but it's also the only agile that doesn't have infinite cleave, so you might find you like one of the other two since the Combat Knife is incredible at horde control and the Dueling Sword basically only has attacks that demolish head weakspots.

The Combat Knife gives bonus movespeed and has decent penetration when you do a charged attack. You also flip it around a bunch while you use it and it has different block animations based on where you are in your combo. Basically what I'm saying is it's the loving best and the only reason I'm not using it is because it's the exact same as Sienna's dagger and I used that for hundreds of hours already.

I know people hate the Bolter's iron sights but I desperately want them to add a skin for it that's Literally Just the Volley Crossbow, like just import the model, because it literally doesn't have iron sights at all and is just as blocky and would be loving hilarious for me specifically.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Jimbot posted:

Do you get more cleave if you turn or dodge side-to-side when you swing a weapon? I can't tell if it works or not.

Yes, as far as I can tell, unless they changed it for some reason. That's absolutely how it worked in VT2. Your weapon has hit frames as long as the attack animation is playing, so if you reposition or swing your camera around like a goofy rear end in a top hat you will hit more enemies with a cleave.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I decided to play around with some of the other Combat Knife movesets on Psyker before the game went down and just a PSA on how loving nuts the MkIII is. The light attack cycle is two completely horizontal swipes followed by a stab, which certainly feels like it has solid armor penetration, in addition to the movespeed and armor penetration on the charged attacks.

Getting your warp charges up, aiming vaguely at head level, and spamming left click feels like the loving power sword in how it instantly decapitations anything standing in front of you on dif 4. There's no world where it doesn't feel even better which the appropriate chaff damage bonuses once we have full access to crafting.

Two charged attacks will kill anything with head armor short of a Mauler, including Ragers, and the movement speed bonus from holding the charged attack makes pressing F and rushing gunner patrols effortless if you turn a corner into a bad situation and want to easily force them into melee.

Literally the only downside is that you can't vent with it out, otherwise a full on Unchained-style build with the block raises Peril before reducing your stamina would be easily a top tier build choice. I think a good way to make the Force Sword not the Obviously Best Melee Weapon, And It's Not Close would be to let us vent with any melee weapon out, but I don't know how likely that is to happen.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Zephro posted:

Thanks, I think I've found the mod. Now to find a Chaos Spawn to test it on...

Setting up your bots properly can also help a lot in this regard even if they do get grabbed. Certain careers are markedly better than others in terms of their kit just being more useful when controlled by AI. This broadly applies to the tank careers, with the exception of Mercenary Captain for Kruber, who will absolutely use his ult to get you up if you get downed if you have that talent picked, and Pyromancer Sienna, who will delete specials with her flaming skull on an extremely low cooldown.

Other than that Ironbreaker with Shield + another weapon is excellent given how absurdly tanky he is, and Handmaiden Elf provides excellent utility all around.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah I imagine and hope that people raise enough noise that they give psyker and its gear some love in a rebalance, it's totally viable and still fun to play but its competing in a niche with a class that can pretty much do what it does with no setup and with way higher damage output.

Psyker needs a lot of work and really feels like about three disparate classes shoved together, none of which it does particularly well but some of which it does well enough to retain value. Some of them are just numbers tweaks, some could be fixed by moving talents around from certain tiers to others, but many will require more significant reworks in order to not feel extremely mediocre.

I don't expect Soulblaze to ever feel particularly good even if it gets a big damage upgrade unless they straight up take a bunch of stuff from Sienna that changes the DoT into something more than just damage.

There's a half-assed tank build you can currently do but as it stands you either have to take the 10% chance to Brain Burst on melee or give up taking advantage of Warp Charges altogether, which isn't really an option, at which point the 10% chance is really just a way to keep your charges from running out. The fact that it's random chance is loving nonsense in its own right when it has a 15s cooldown, just make it so that the first melee every 15 seconds brain bursts. Otherwise you're supposed to do what, slap a Mauler around hoping one of them procs the brain burst when you could just dodge backwards and straight up do a brain burst.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

terrorist ambulance posted:

What difficulty are you playing at

Heresy. I expect the problems are likely to get worse on Diff 5, though the things that Psyker excels at will also be even better there.

It's not to say that Psyker doesn't have some really great qualities, just that a lot of those are incidental to any choices you make regarding your Feat choices entirely. It's often overlooked or considered too obvious, but being able to lock on to a priority target and duck behind cover or around a corner while doing guaranteed damage is absurdly powerful and nothing any of the other classes can do can beat that.

Your F also has exceptional range--a much larger range than you probably think--and can stagger pretty much anything it hits outside of some specific examples.

Neither of those things are things Feats influence, though, which feels like a mistake given they're the two best things about the class.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

weird, I'm playing mostly at 3 or 4 and honestly don't really enjoy any other class as much as the psyker. I'll play zealot or ogryn for a bit to switch it up and just end up coming back. their feat layout / choices are pretty schizophrenic but I don't think that's unique to them. veteran has a pretty coherent design but ogryn and zealots seem weird / have limited effective choices too

Oh, yeah, I'm not commenting on the design coherence of Psyker vs. anything else. Literally all of my 75 hours or so has been on Psyker so far so outside of what I've seen from friends I can't speak to how they play firsthand--though by all accounts they need a lot of work in their own ways.

Broadly I don't think the matter of Veteran VS Psyker matters much at all at the end of the day and both classes played by competent players will be able to clear Difficulty 5 with little variance between them. I'm more interested in Psyker changes building more of a functional identity for the class beyond just "Can kill specials real good" because, much like in VT2, literally any class can do that as it stands, right now, on Difficulty 5, as long as it's played by someone who has the knowledge and loadout to do it.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

A Perfect Twist posted:

I have been trying the 4th highest difficulty. Got through a couple of runs but mostly getting wiped out in cruel combinations of specials . Today had a deamonhost and a beast of nurgle in one room that I accidentally wandered into alone trying to rejoin the team.

This is rough and was probably frustrating but also sounds loving hilarious.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Opposite for me, trappers and dogs are easy enough to dodge but can never avoid mutants

They have one big arm and one small arm, dodge towards the small arm.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I've been thinking a lot about how many of these design choices were just :fatshark: doing Fatshark poo poo and how much were Tencent driven calls, and there's some things that feel like they're certainly the latter: launch feels like they had to get it out before Christmas and were shuffled into that timeframe. The cash shop and the absurd rng mechanics also feels like someone from outside Fatshark saying "Make as many design choices to get people logging in as you can" and them forcing it into the design given that it' overtly, obviously a step back in every way.

It could all just be misguided design choices, but Fatshark never felt like it to this extreme before.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

S.J. posted:

afaik people are literally just making poo poo up, I have a hard time imagining tencent gives a poo poo. they just buy up already successful properties and eat a percentage of their revenue.

"The second largest video game investor in the world known, in part, for its predatory practices buys Fatshark and the following release has considerably more predatory systems" is not like a logical or conspiratorial leap.

A literal megacorp becoming the Parent company of anything and not immediately saying "How are you going to maximize our profits" would be the weird thing, frankly.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm leveling a Zealot right now and just unlocked and started playing around with the Eviscerator and, just, god drat. Holy poo poo. It rips so hard. I almost literally entirely started leveling the class because the Thunder Hammer looked super sick, but it's gonna be hard to use anything else on them unless that charged headpop feels really loving good.

It's also given me the chance to try out the Bolter, which is cool but broadly not groundbreaking for me. It feels really good and is obviously mechanically extremely strong but it's not as satisfying as firing a braced autogun into a crowd or literally anything I do with the revolver.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Eviscerator rules, zealot rules. The flamethrower is incredible btw, I think it's the single best way to lock down a whole horde. I only wish zealot got access to the veteran's power sword.

Bolter is great for deleting a special via magdump, but your ult also does that with melee and the vet can do it at range, so I take the flamethrower instead. YMMV.

Oh, yeah, I should have said the flamethrower feels loving dope and is clearly just incredibly strong but after playing Voidstaff Psyker since the pre-launch I really want the baseline reaction to hordes to be to get the gently caress in there and mess poo poo up that way--it's why I've been leaning more heavily towards the Revolver even over the braced autogun because I know how to lock a huge horde in place from VT2, dammit, and I miss consistently doing it.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Phlegmish posted:

Now I get why I've been taking so much chip damage without my toughness bar being depleted :downs:

I guess it makes sense. Kind of discourages getting into the thick of things, though.

I recommend putting the FOV to as high as you can stand, but YMMV. I legit miss the weird loving fish-eye effect it had in VT2, I played so long with it.

Broadly, though, with enough practice you can address big ol' hordes of various types of enemies consistently without taking any damage, let alone the occasional hit. It's easier with Agile weapons, so the Combat Blade, Tactical Axe, and Dueling Sword, and also easier with more Stamina bars since it will allow for more pushes and blocks (but particularly pushes) before you can't do either anymore.

It's really important to learn to block, dodge, and push, in that order. If you inspect a weapon you can see how many dodges in a row you can do before the dodge distance is drastically reduced, and getting into the habit of Always Be Dodging, then pausing for a second to let the dodges replenish (there is no easy indicator for this other than getting a feel for it), then repeating.

If you aren't swinging you should be blocking, and if you see a hit coming in that you won't be able to interrupt, push, or dodge, you should be ready to cancel your attack and block. Only way to really get a good grip on that is gamefeel and recognizing enemy attacks.

Not everyone pushes/push attacks as often as I do, but I work them consistently into my combos and basically do one every combo rotation. This is especially useful if your push attack is a sweep while your normals or charged attacks are not. The Tactical Axe MkII, for example, has a 3 hit combo and I'll push nearly always after going through one cycle of it. Usually it's 123>Dodge>Push>123>Repeat. You can lock an entire horde into one place with this style of play with pretty much literally any melee weapon with some practice.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Memnaelar posted:

It is so strange that the devs get so much right and wrong all at once. The levels are just crazy-beautiful designs, some of the best realizations of 40k I've ever encountered. I don't get how those same devs would make such boring cosmetic options -- the least flattering take is that the only good-looking ones are, of course, pay shop options. :P

The Fatshark experience is staring wide eyed at a patch note that explains that something fundamental about the game was literally not enabled after spending 8 hours straight turning fleshy enemies into a bloody pulp and having an incredible time doing it

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I know it's not reasonable to expect this from pubbies but please, for the love of gently caress, if I'm in melee range with a poxburster do not shoot it. I am going to push it and take no damage. Shooting it is just doing its job for it while wasting ammo and guaranteeing I take damage.

I am so done with the functionality of the Zealot's dash even though there are very few moments as satisfying as rushing a Reaper with an evis and cutting it in half. There is no consistency whatsoever in terms of what it locks on to or what terrain is going to cut it short. It tilts me more than anything else in the game, frankly, and literally nothing else feels as bad as dashing at a tight group of gunners, stopping halfway, and getting lit the gently caress up.

Just have it highlight what you're locked onto like Sienna's flaming skull. Make it uninterruptable, it would not make Zealot too strong.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Kokoro Wish posted:

Also, the Stub Revolver has absolutely beautiful sights, both hip-fire and iron. I love this thing. Most other guns need sights as clear as this.

The revolver is the best feeling gun in the game for me, and I loving love everything about it. I love that 90% of the time on Zealot I end up killing snipers faster than my Vets because it's so effortless once they're tagged to line up the shot and plink 'em in the head one time on Heresy.

One the patches said they did something about phantom hits from guns, right? I can't recall specifically or if I'm completely making it up in my head. Either way I know it's probably a latency issue, but I've just straight up stopped shooting at dudes who are moving because it feels like a coin flip (or worse) as to whether or not I'll actually get a hit marker even though I got the blood spurt effect with the shot.

Legit Businessman posted:

For those that Played VT/VT 2 - when they released new classes, did they increase character slots, or is character slots new?

Vaguely related to this, but: I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't play VT2 again until Sienna got her new subclass, which they said they were still doing once Darktide launched, but given how much of a shitshow this game is in nearly every possible way I may have to reevaluate that because I'm pretty sure my Fire Auntie is gonna get left behind on that one.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Chillgamesh posted:

Also is anyone else getting constant no-reg shots? I notice it really badly with the Kantrael, I'll shoot an enemy, see blood splatter and the enemy visibly scorched by my lasgun, and even hear the "scored weak spot kill" hit sound effect, but I don't get a hit marker and the enemy doesn't react otherwise. It's seriously happening every other shot and getting on my nerves.

It has been considerably worse than before and has made high risk high reward responses to things extremely inconsistent. I went from a very high success rate at pushing away leaping dogs to it basically feeling like a coin flip even if I'm positive I did the push on time.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Kaysette posted:

They did not! Still in today.

This is actually the most hosed up thing they've done with the game so far. If a dev gets reports that a feature they put in is giving people seizures and they don't drop everything else to hotfix it they're pieces of poo poo and deserve serious repercussions.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Fishstick posted:

Not just the finales. I can remember several map pieces of Against the Grain where things can go uniquely wrong (because they have). Surprise monsters in the first Grain farm, getting sstuck in the little hut grabbing the book, the mill book jumps, etc. Tons of memorable sections barely 10 minutes in the map. The same goes for other maps; I hate Athel becausse of all the open spaces and angled floor sections that make dodging a pain, but it's memorable because of it.

Thats not even bringing up old V1 mapss like Horn or Wizard's tower. I don't know, it felt a lot more like an actual "adventure", maybe the lack of a narrative framework for the maps is part of the problem too.

I have lost more runs on Cata to a boss popping out of the first barn section in Against the Grain than anything else combined--and I love it.

VT2 had so many map portions that ended up being memorable even without it being a setpiece or objective of some kind because of spawn patterns--intentional or otherwise--that tended to emerge in them. The Chaos Warriors in the opening of Empire in Flames. The catwalk section on Into the Nest that rolled out Ratling Gunners on the sides. The single extremely brave flame rat that would rush you down the hallway after you open the puzzle door in (I believe) Convocation of Decay.

Obviously the game's new and there hasn't been time to notice poo poo like this, if we ever will, but the lack of interesting setpieces means that I basically remember none of the mission's names.

My favorite Finale by far is the giant open Consignment Yard with the trains where you have to disable the AA guns (which takes 2 seconds) and then survive in an area with an actual interesting layout and enough variety to make your positioning choices matter. But it might as well be "Run through the level and wait for pickup" given how unimpactful or interesting any of the objectives there feel.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Scikar posted:

Honestly, if they just put the mission name in the loading screen, and at the top of the objective list, I think people would remember things being connected much better. That's what actually ties them together, but "Athel Yenlui" or "Hunger in the Dark" are much more memorable than "Power Matrix HL-17-36" or "Relay Station TRS-150".

This is an excellent point and I think is actually entirely my problem, and that's loving wild to realize when you lay out the moments like that. Can you imagine if the Servitor Colony was called like "Burial Ground" or some poo poo, instantly changes the feeling of it

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

S.J. posted:

Honestly the dog mode sucks poo poo. They could've had it spawn more of almost any other enemy type and it would've been more interesting.

I would be so impossibly loving down for an oops all mutants mode called like Smackdown or Air Time or some poo poo

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Jerkface posted:

you could consider that the classes are balanced around these things rather than being some weird mistake. Like if zealots had the toughness and regen of veterans and vice versa the zealot would be op op and the vet would be dog.

Yeah, this is definitely the reasoning for it, but given how punishing getting shot in melee is versus how many options Vets have to avoid ranged damage even if they're drawing attention with their shooting in practice it means that Zealots are constantly walking an extremely thin tightrope where one small mistake (or unregistered hit, or getting knocked out of a dash for no discernable reason) means either they proc invuln or go down.

Vet would still be extremely strong if that toughness situation was swapped, while Zealot would go from Middling to Good.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Was talking with a buddy last night and realized that, though it may have been obvious for other people it as not for me, the lootbox system from VT2 is literally identical to just rolling for a weapon at the end of each mission, but being able to delay when you actually receive it. It is only a lootbox in aesthetics, which I guess probably matters in some ways or another, but the only thing that would change if they just rolled you a weapon with each completed run is that your inventory would clutter constantly.

eta: Also I just finished upgrading a combat knife to orange trying to get two bleed perks on it after getting 1 at the first blessing, and when it rolled something else I said out loud in discord "well guess I'll see about the next one in fifteen hours" meant as exaggeration, but quickly realized it was, in fact, not exaggerating at all.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Tonight is clearly an unintentional stress test, I'd assume because a huge amount of people are playing it at once. If it's not, I have no explanation, but the servers were markedly worse than they have been for me since the Beta, and I actually crashed for the first time in forever today.

In my one issue-less run I did get about 3/4ths of the way through a Damnation mission for the first time, though, which was cool. We only wiped because none of the pubbies realized that the buboes during the pop the eye event respawn almost instantly on dif 5 and you have to clear them simultaneously, pretty much.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Internet Explorer posted:

Also right now it feels real bad when you bring a weapon all the way up from grey to orange and it gets a lovely blessing.

Feels bad, man.

It's the loving worst! I hate farming for plasteel!

Vagabong posted:

It's funny to have gotten into VT2 with the chaos wastes expansion and have wondered what all the grousing was about and then experienced this release.

People have talked a lot in the thread about how bad VT2's release was, but I can not stress enough how DT's has been next loving level, it's not even close. There was some connection issues, but getting reconnected (or into a match in the first place) took maybe 1/10th the amount of time, and some things just didn't work, but almost every instance of it was "huh, I just thought that felt bad" instead of "this fundamentally makes certain ways to play the game unplayable."

I put 100 hours into VT2s beta, then an easy 100 more during the first few weeks of release, then went on to play hundreds more since. I can say with 100% certainty that if I didn't learn to play VT2 at a high level and have most of those skills translate to DT coupled with the fact that there is literally nothing else in gaming that scratches this particular itch, I would have dropped the game weeks ago.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Magitek posted:

A lot of players forget that one of the main purposes of cover is to minimize the number of targets who can shoot back at you. If there are dozens of shooters at the other end of the arena, you can usually crouch and crawl and peek in such a way that only a small handful of baddies are visible at any one time. Kill them, then reposition slightly and repeat.

This is conceptually true, but in practice ends up feeling worse than just sidestepping shots or ducking behind a wall long enough for their volley of fire to end. Shooters have perfect aim, and as long as they have line of sight they'll hit you, and given the nature of inconsistent character hitboxes and the fact that they'll hit you if there is any gap in cover of any size whether or not you can see it (or if it's even visible in the texture in the first place) almost any instance of grabbing cover ends of being a "oh man I hope this actually works as cover" moment.

Really you should pay attention to who they're targeting on your team--if it's you, you should take evasive maneuvers, if it's your teammate, you should shoot them.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Typical Pubbie posted:

Hate how every Heresy or Damnation game I match make into is always 3 vets + 1 zealot, 2 vets + 2 zealots, 4 vets... (im part of the problem)

I actually really like this as it usually means we have a higher chance of actually completing the thing because the more vets the less effort anything takes all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Kith posted:

More fun things: through testing, we have determined that the Zealot only benefits from half of +% Crit Chance bonuses, but Veterans get full benefit!

If other classes also get half benefit, that means that the way universal base Critical Chances were coded is that they applied a 50% reduction to non-Veteran classes that also applies to their Critical Chance bonuses!

I'm going to lose my god drat mind! :shepface:

Anecdotally this explains a lot. The Revolver I use should crit around 30-45% of the time depending on which Zealot buffs have procc'd, but in my experience it feels /considerably/ less than that which feels loving awful when part of the reason why the Revolver is good is because it's crits hit like trucks.