Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Oh man i only ever played ac1 but I’m excited for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chiasaur11 posted:

I reloaded my save every time I lost a mission, but otherwise I took my lumps. The only mission that was frustrating enough to make me want save states in AC1 was the finale. A lot of awkward climbing before a couple really nasty fights made for much more tedium than tension.

Oh god the jumping puzzles in my mech game with janky controls

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AtomikKrab posted:

The second demo mission was 100% the jam for many kids who didn't have real games but had the demo's available, just going to say.

i had plenty of games but somehow never actually got armored core so that demo hosed for a long long time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

is that the carnage heart of armored core

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

now that's a name i haven't heard in a long time. a long time.

in the era of zachtronics and grand strategy games we really deserve a new one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Muscle Tracer posted:

In AC-adjacent news, I am enjoying tactical squad-based mech game Phantom Brigade. It's got customization maybe a quarter as deep as Armored Core (but still big customizable highly-paintable mechs), a sort of Ace Combat-esque storyline (the other AC this game is adjacent to), and the tactical goodness we all know and love but with some Invisible Inc-style enemy action prediction as a core element. It's cool, I'm not far enough to know if it's good, and it might scratch that mech itch for a while.

Gonna have to check this out at some point thanks!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suffered my way through the opening boss and am now hanging out in ch1 and i just want to say: bazooka

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

how the gently caress do i beat balteus

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I feel like I’m missing some very fundamental ac knowledge in the sense of “how to play” and weapon roles and baiting dodges/punishing, dodge timing, etc

Is there a primer anywhere

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i simply do not understand this game's mechanics at all

i do not understand how to fight balteus at all

dodging is impossible

hanging out above him is impossible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

OctaMurk posted:

try shooting him ??

yeah i've been doing this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bussamove posted:

I got to the point I could reliably take him down to 50% and initiate phase 2 in a single dropped shield.

:pwn:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i just gave up for now after successfully kicking balteus in the face and then getting blown out of the sky by looping missiles before my sword could come out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

raverrn posted:

I shadowplayed a starter build double bubblegun Balteus kill for a friend of mine, if you'd like something lower than perfect 20 second pile bunker kills. Behold me missing every assault kick and kinda doing nothing with this shotgun I brought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umAYl6v0heM

Things to note are the constant approaching and circling: you're often much safer near the boss, especially for the missile swarm. Stick close to his butt when the sword comes out. The fact he staggers when the shield comes down is an advantage, try to pop it when you're positioned to do real DPS.

I think this will be helpful and i will watch it later, thank you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m permafried raven coralstomper58

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

187 on an mf core

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm getting closer to beating balteus and i think the end is in sight

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey. i did it. thank u all

nachtrier build, twin pulse guns/weapon bay -> halderman/butt

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Spent a while killing carla because i am bad but that fight felt far more fair than balteus ever did

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

aegof posted:

I ended up fighting Carla on the bottom floor, mostly under the second level, and for whatever reason only had to deal with her until I beat her and moved on to the next. They should've ganged up on me but didn't.

:ohdear: not that fight yet i guess, this was the grinder thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I managed to beat balteus (as a very bad player) with a very light build (full nachtrier or close enough) and two pulse guns with shotgun and pulse blade in the weapon bays

Remember that breaking shield is a stagger. Remember that you don’t need to hold jump at all times to stay in the air; being above him is extremely important in the second half as it makes the fireblades never hit.

Being close is better than being far away.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Harold Fjord posted:

Just got to seaspider. after experimenting witha dual gatling tank, I've determined that the best build is a big generator and a quad base spin kicking forever.

I just killed that boss on a fast bipedal that used no kicks

or melee at all

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, something I haven't seen praised enough is the starting mech.

I should clarify. It's not that it's an amazing design for use in the game. Only a couple parts make the grade for general use, and the overall stats are middling if you're feeling generous.

But that's part of why it's so good.

The initial AC in Fires of Rubicon feels great to use, with fast recharge, decent boosting, and enough firepower to quickly drop mooks. The design is recognizable, and in general, it's not a chore to use it. But it also has so many areas where it can improve that buying gear is exciting, and the core can take most basic changes to the loadout without breaking, allowing you to start building "your" design right from completing the second mission.

AC4's options might have let you start with something better, but it also asks the player to commit to a style before knowing how things work. AC6's starter is maybe the best as a starter in the whole series, giving something useful enough to use without being too useful to discard.

:hmmyes:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Songbearer posted:

raven-kun... please don't burn my rubicussy 👉👈

verbal enema posted:

man gently caress you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thank you to whoever mentioned that the ranratsu ar is really good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just never buy the weight control os tune

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i heard a lot of complaining about warrant officer but i splattered him good after only 3 or 4 tries, felt pretty good!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

After three nights of attempts, learning how to dodge, how to break pulse shields, and how to be much more aggressive: with just 2000 AP remaining, no repair kits remaining, and the boss at ~20%, one last ditch overboost -> assault armor -> sword swipe -> stagger -> unload everything combo, and Balteus is finally down. :black101:

I am so bad at these kind of bosses but the rush you get from them at the end is exhilarating. I had to walk away from the game for an hour because of how bad my hands were shaking.

it did feel real nice to beat balteus :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just cleared all the arena missions

laser lance makes melee so fun

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just killed Ibis with the lance/bunker wombo combo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

johnny park posted:

How does this work? Whenever I try it they just fly away after I hit them with the lance. Do you only do it when the lance hit will stagger?

Yeah pretty much, i guess? Also you can switch earlier than you might think you can

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just got to (what i think is the final boss) -------------------on the satellite for the first time and this seems like a doozy

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 12, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

welp, satellite boss got hands. how do you dodge the triple sword

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Snake Maze posted:

Quick boost backwards worked for my lightweight reverse-joint build.

i'm playing quick biped and this worked decently well, i have to remember to boost straight BACK not to the side, which feels like it should work. With a loadout similar to the balteus fight I can semi-reliably get to phase 2 now, but then it seemed like I couldn't do much damage at all.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Snake Maze posted:

It helped a lot psychologically when I realized that phase 2 is more like the 80% mark. The boss stops putting its shield up after that so the rest of the health bar goes a lot faster.

I was having a lot of trouble landing damage but I’m also less familiar with the pattern, i suppose

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

turn off the TV posted:

idk why from didn't adjust the direct hit bonus to make all weapons maintain equivalent ratios of DPS over the span of the one-two second window of ACS failure

It makes sense for weapons to have different niches

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I didn’t have any problems with the wheel, cruising with a fast biped with zimm/lance and triple/vertical plasma missiles

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Why are half of the interesting stats on parts hidden by default this is dang armored core gimmie the numbers

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kesper North posted:

So you can see how your mech looks with those parts! This trumps minor concerns like how well the parts actually perform

okay fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just rolled credits on NG with the fires of raven ending, and am now thoroughly getting wrecked by the first NG+ new decision :)