Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think either way there are going to be major changes this offseason, Burke will "retire" and Sullivan will probably reach a mutual agreement with the team to let him out of his contract and go to NYR or whatever. I guess Hextall could stick around but probably not.

Or maybe not idk, the Pens seem content to keep running it back forever and maybe just barely making the playoffs and getting crushed in the first round'll be enough for ownership to load 'em back up.

Dumo's gone regardless because of the cap so that's addition by subtraction. Zucker is gone unless he takes a generous paycut.
That there's been so little word on Petry makes me wonder if he may end up on LTIR-island come the offseason.

I wouldn't really mind seeing any of the non-Crosby/Malkin/Letang pieces moved. Something's gotta give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Emetic Hustler posted:

I am curious on why the Oilers hasn't been able to build anything good out of all the high drafts picks over the years. They've had different GMs and coaches, but result is still the same? What is wrong with them? Is it just Edmonton the city causing it? Granted, McDraisatl has helped them become a playoff team but considering their off the charts talent it's almost inevitible. Anyone more familiar with Edmonton have a working theory on why it just isn't working for them?

Their drafting has been horrendous and their player development/evaluation horrible for as long as I've been watching.
Why that's been the case across multiple regimes I have no idea but that's the crux of it.

They draft high and that (mostly) works out but then they'll do incredibly stupid things like trading young players for Duncan Keith, or 6th round draft picks, and hilariously overpaying UFAs, or signing good but poisoned players
it's just death from a thousand cuts of mismanagement

I'd be fascinated to hear how much of their scouting/development staff has been the same over the last two decades but regardless, there is something deeply rotten and wrong on an organizational level far beyond just a coach or GM (though those have sucked too)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Tage Thompson scored three goals to honor Damar Hamlin.

He’s scored 30 goals and 3 hat tricks and it’s Jan 3rd lmao

I was wrong about Tage Thompson and his very good contract

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Maybe he'll get to be teammates with that once in a generation talent next yeahahahaha who am I kidding it'll be Chicago.

I thought he was out indefinitely with exceptionally hot brains

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Does he just thrive on being "the guy" or what's up here
has he been hurt the last few seasons?
It's wild he's just suddenly good again

I see he's getting some easier zone starts but that can't be the whole story

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah Ullmark had stats of “backup at best” before the Bruins signed him and at the time a 4 year contract at whatever they paid him seemed like a huge overpay.

Backup at best stats on a team playing Rasmus Ristolainen as a #1 dman should have been extrapolatable for the average fan/GM

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Mantha’s gonna get traded. Who wants him? Where should he go?

St. Louis for a Tarasenko rental

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

e: wrong thread but Pens powerplay still awful, that's the news

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

JR sucked after the two cups but two cups is two cups so I would have been okay with him making GBS threads on the conclusion of Crosby and Malkin's careers if he'd wanted to stay.

Not just two cups, but back-to-back cups cementing them as franchise legends and echoing Lemieux
it was beautiful

and then he traded away Kessel

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Isn't Kakko good at like everything but scoring. He's bizarro Laine

Kakko seems like a really talented grinder. He's got the hands, he's got the size, sometimes it seems like he has the feet, but he's missing something to put it all together

Could be that he's forced to play an ancillary role on his lines (could also be that's the limit of his skillset, but I don't know).
He doesn't seem to carry or distribute the puck, he's there to crash the net or get open for a nice shot.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Laine disappointment makes a lot more sense when you go back and read the draft profiles comparing him to Ovie, a huge, snarly goalscorer

but he's a gentle moose man who just wants to score some goals
Like... a more talented Johan Franzen or something

e: or really, Phil Kessel
he's a giant Phil Kessel

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

If the Canucks had to eat poo poo to move one or two bad contracts to sign a couple guys and get them to contender status it might be worth it but you have to dump in no particular order:

OEL, Myers, Poolman, Garland, Pearson and Boeser and lol good luck. Even if you move two you're still cap hosed by bad players, you're not fixing anything.

Myers and OEL can be bought out to a cap hit of a little less than $3 million combined this offseason and Larsson only gets cheaper the longer they can hold off on it.
I'd imagine that's the path they'd have to go for him with that contract. Myers might actually get a taker

either way that'd give them $25 million (before the cap goes up) to sign Horvat and fill out the roster

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The cap is climbing 1 million next year. Kuzmenko+Horvat would cost 13-15 million so there's 10-13? Left to sign 8 guys. And Bear probably takes 2.5 of that. It doesn't help and just pushes those contract hits further out and for what?

I'm not saying it's the right choice but if I was a GM being forced to keep the team competing that's the way I'd go.

Granted I'd also be dishing Kuzmenko at the deadline (and Horvat if he didn't want to sign a sweetheart deal) and anyone else not named Pettersson or Hughes

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I get it, Robin. A snake is nature's goalie.

The more you collect, the more they will reveal their secrets to you.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even at 18% retained, that's $9.4 million until 2027, and still 6th most expensive d-man in the league

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Just lol if your sports grudges aren't all decades old, involving long-since retired players.

e: gently caress YOU Steve Webb and Cam Janssen you pieces of poo poo!!

Yeah

and gently caress off forever, Dave Steckel

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

how the hell is Joe Pavelski better at 38 than he was at 28

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

McCann is good yeah but he's not always going to be shooting at 28.2% and the Pens didn't have $5mx5 to gamble on him being a legitimate top 6 player.

it looks bad in hindsight, and yeah they really should have exposed Carter instead because there's no way Seattle would've taken him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd say someone should return to the favor to Trouba but that might risk letting the rangers out of that contract early so... I wish him long relative health

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

You what teams are desperate to unload? Talented young players in prime positions like RD and Centre. This retool will be a breeze!

The oilers have given away Justin Schultz, Chris Wideman, John Marino, and Ethan Bear

and they gave away Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

so just fleece them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lol Chris Wideman

Marino refused to sign in Edmonton they didn't have a choice but to trade him or watch him walk.

Schultz was misused in Edmonton by bad coaches so ya that could have gone better.

I love Ethan Bear but Carolina wouldn't even play him and it took months for a trade to happen so him for Foegele is/was mostly fine. He wouldn't crack the Oilers roster currently anyway outside of them playing 7 dmen as they like doing.

I don't see how any of this refutes that the Oilers are the place to go if you are shopping for an undervalued or disgruntled right defenseman.
Resign yourself to them inevitably trading Evan Bouchard now because they need Ceci for his grit and Barrie for those sweet powerplay points

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they were at the time (and are still) positive contributing NHL-quality players that were given away or neglected

I mean hell, Ethan Bear is currently the best right-shooting d-man on the canucks, they could use 2 more players of that caliber on cheap contracts

I did not think a joke about the oilers misevaluating their talent for a decade would be so controversial

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Can't wait to build a cup contender around players that might be as good as Justin Schultz or Ryan Strome if things go perfectly!

The Crosby era penguins won the 1st of their back to back cups with Justin Schultz pulling 1D duty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Noticeably absent from the Canucks roster: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin.

You could probably get Phil Kessel

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

Imagine how many draft picks they'll get for him at the end of his ELC

it's not impossible that the coyotes draft a player who ends up playing for ASU and refusing to report to/sign with them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bigots should get bodychecked

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not even the most talented bigot on the team
What a clown

I'm sorry flyers fans. Can't pick the roster but gently caress them all the same

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

tbh I think it's fine and we're just reading what we know about the Coyotes organization into it. Which isn't wrong but there are plenty of uglier jerseys out there

My gripe is that they're still pushing that brick-red color and I fear that means they're going to try to pushing this to a primary jersey down the line when they basically just settled back in to a good set of jerseys

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Some nobody on twitter was trying real hard to convince people that the Bruins should trade all their picks for Toews and I hope he gets his wish.

No, not Devon. Jonathan.

They couldn't really fit him even at 50%

but man, a team with Bergeron and Toews down the middle would be unstoppable

if it was 2014

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Of course, but it was super funny that they saddled him with Kassian for eight years because they were convinced he was some sort of deterrent.

They also just didn't have any other wingers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I get that they want the best "package" but a sign and trade is gonna give a lot more of a return than a disgruntled rental

what the gently caress are you doing vancover

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It feels like only yesterday the bolts were popping out new 20 goal scorers from nowhere but perhaps the last of the Yzerman well has dried up

good god did that man put together an incredible scouting staff

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

This is the NHL we're talking about here. If he wants to keep working he'll get a job at some point. The NHL is terrified of bringing in anyone new to coach

And to Bruce's credit, he is demonstrably better than a a fair number of coaches in the league even at his age

Not a coach in this league would get the canucks a winning record

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There's no world in which Rick Tocchet is a better coach than Bruce

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Look, when you can get a guy who missed the playoffs 6/7 years he's had a head coaching position, you don't wait to snatch him up

he was a pretty good powerplay coach though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Obviously can’t win the majority of games you enter the 3rd period trailing, but lol

https://twitter.com/senscentral/status/1616986615804751872?s=46&t=ziGKQS_wJvLzDMunCujHDA

Get a new owner so you can fire this jabroni already

Hire Bruce

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope Elias and Hughes demand trades

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

They even brought back the skate as a regular jersey to try and make people happy and no one cares. Instead it'll be forever associated with a the video of a guy the fans love openly crying on the bench because of how badly he was treated by his bosses.

I am not a sports team owner but going from a beloved player coach to a notorious hard-rear end guaranteed to be less successful on a team full of already disgruntled players seems like it's not going to be a wise move

but I am interested to see how it plays out

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Sergei Gonchar? Huh.

He rebuilt Justin Schultz so... He might actually know what he's doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

trying to remake the Canucks into a defensively oriented team with that roster is going to be hilarious and frustrate the gently caress out of their young stars