Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

are computoons all reruns from 1989, or do they just feel that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

I think this is literally the only time I laughed at the lockhorns this century

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

the prices clearly weren't updated

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

if more strips were basically just zippy, I'd be happier

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

At the time, 24 cents.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

it's you

"hand" is cut off as she sees the kid going for a throw, then the throw is made in the last panel as soon as she's not looking again

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

was mark trail ever good?

the only thing i tend to remember about it is the "spiders! mankind's friend in the war against insects!" edit

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EasyEW posted:

For those of you who don't have enough suffering in your life, we've been unpacking the latest 9CL material in the BSS Discord. Spoilered because you deserve a fighting chance: Not just a pregnancy fetish, but a delivery room fetish. Look at yesterday's and try to see anything else. I dare you. :unsmigghh:

:justpost:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hostile V posted:

First spotted change: KELL'S GOT A FAT ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

No other spotted changes.

all the changes are spotted

because of the pointillism

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wapsi square, the strip that constantly yells about being a YA graphic novel while looking like a middle-aged guy's wank rag

of course mr. hellworld travels in the same circles as wapsi guy

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this was probably discussed at some point in the staff past

but what the gently caress is that piece of doggerel about "roats" in every episode of that one old-timey strip

it bothers me

it's like an advertisement for a product that doesn't exist in this dimension

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what happened to the women's football/soccer strip? sorry, I'm bad at titles, but i liked it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Usually I grok the dated punchlines pretty well but this one's eluding me. I got to "blocking cookies" but I can't recall how Sony is involved.

i thought they were hockey pucks and my brain ground to a halt trying to figure out the metaphor

i still don't understand it, but at least now i don't understand the correct thing

e: lmao to posting that before reading this page

hexwren fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 29, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

all of them?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Camp Bullshit+Possum Shenanigans is making me really hate this comic right now.

...just right now?

watching it go by at high speed is an endless reminder of how repetitive it is

easter murder
regular murder
camp murder
regular murder
gardening murder
regular murder
school murder
regular murder
office murder

and yet it's still the best comic this guy puts out

god i hate it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Is there anyone interested in more John Allison-verse stuff? I'm tinkering with a script to grab all of Scary-Go-Round off the Internet Archive... albeit very slowly, because the IA is like that. It's got some warts but not so much that Allison has memory holed it like he did with Bobbins, and there are a lot of fun stories. Plus you get a lot of fantastic pre-getting-his-poo poo-together Ryan Beckwith moments. There's about seven years of mostly M-F strips so I'd probably post them a week at a time per post.

I'm grabbing these collections for my own archiving anyways so if people aren't interested my powershell fiddling will still have been worth it at least :v:

start with bobbins imo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

can't wait to hear how stupid gunther's bullshit is going to be this time

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I stopped paying attention for a moment, I thought the entire thing was that the other dog the old guy's dog bonded with was the mop dog from the dogfighting lair, not this one?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fantagraphics does great stuff, but they're loving terrible at keeping poo poo in print, especially if it literally says in the book that it's the definitive edition and is never going out of print

(frowning at the 90s printing of love & rockets, which I'm still collecting, slowly)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am really glad nobody's posting doc rat, I gotta say

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hostile V posted:

[sighs] alright, I would like elaboration on why, just gently caress me up.

you asked for it.

It's the same sort of predator murderworld as holbrook, except everyone is fair game all the time, and instead of being a milquetoast sitcom strip, it bounces back and forth between over-the-top melodrama and lousy jokes.

and it's australian.

here, in this arc from 2015, dr. ben rat is helping his friends with the birth of their wolf-rabbit hybrids while his own wife is about to have their own kids

it goes somewhat poorly

also, jokes

and the strips are posted at about a billion DPI - the first two are timged because they're full size as originally posted

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

goatface posted:

Wouldn't an empty dorm room space get filled? Is Bets meant to still be paying for it while she fucks about in the bus?

depends. i had two semesters in college where my roommate moved out partway through (one because an opening came up for an apartment, one who dropped out) and neither vacancy ended up getting filled

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

we've all seen it a hundred times already and will see it many more times in the future, but there's always just something great about val getting ready to gently caress some guy up for being on the wrong side of whatever today's problem is

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

So Ed got to know the new old lady personally, which makes torturing her with his noncompliance every day that much more fulfilling?

this whole arc makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills

as someone who went to all of grade school and high school in a rural area (twenty-odd minutes to drive to school directly, an hour on the school bus each way) you'd just...go out there before the bus showed up and wait for five or ten minutes?

of course the bus isn't going to wait for you if you're not there, but who the gently caress needs strategy to catch the bus? you just go to the side of the road (in my case, down the road to the next intersection, like a hundred yards or less) and stand there

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so he doesn't stop for the kids even if they're there? what the gently caress?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Quite telling that she's been the title character of her own comic strip for decades, yet struggles to think of one interesting thing that she's ever done.

i could not name any one of these characters without the strip prompting it; honestly, since i don't follow it all that closely, i kinda assumed the title character had been nudged out of the strip by her own supporting cast

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i wonder if the original idea was for mud to incorporate the method into the cartoon and then someone read the script and went "uh, are you really suggesting mirakle method tv indoctrination?" so it had to be rewritten to take the cartoon out of the picture

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fondue posted:

I often see them in Target.

Everyone from Brooklyn is a criminal; I mean, look at these near-do-wells.

"near-do-well" is such a brilliant typo, i want to steal it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what the gently caress, boyce

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's the one current strip in the block

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

manero posted:

Pluggers

gently caress you, joy of cooking or get the gently caress out my kitchen

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hippocrass posted:

$9 trillion in 1907 is $294,691,595,744.68 today

did you miss some zeroes or can I not count? is that only 294 billion, or am I hallucinating?

Doomykins posted:

I love the high energy contained train wreck Jucika and Husband's relationship is. You get the feeling things get really high passion when they argue and then things get really high passion.

jucika initially reminded me a lot of a midcentury french comic I found a collection of in my teenage years, clementine cherie. same broad category of comic, cute girl getting into mild misadventures, often partly dressed or not at all (because france), and I'm doubly reminded now: in the introduction to that print collection, it's mentioned that there was an outcry when clementine got married off partway into the comic's run - so I wonder what the readership's reaction was to jucika's wedding?

I've considered posting some CC comics (they're single-panel gags, either with the title character or the rest of her family, two extremely lockhorns-esque parents and a younger brother) but like 90% of them would have to get spoilered or hotlinked or whatever for nudity.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd have to scan the book, there doesn't seem to be a great source online, however, I am seeing a few original panels on a google image search, I'll have to crossreference them against the captions in the book, that might do for a taster. Let me go see where I even left the book, too many bookshelves in this place

Bruceski posted:

Billion has two meanings.

Shortform, used in US and some other areas (UK officially switched a few years before I was born for example): 10^9, 1,000,000,000. The triplet after Million.
Longform, used in most of Europe (at least officially, no clue for common usage): 10^12, 1,000,000,000,000, a Bi-Million.

that's...not the point I'm making - the number posted there is 294 billion (US), which is less than 9 trillion by a long shot, and the dollar definitely didn't go the other direction since then

my wife tells me I may have mistaken a joke amount of math for a real amount of math

hexwren fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 11, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So here's a little bit of Clementine Cherie, circa 1955-59 by the copyright dates in my book.

My copy looks like this (photo, not a scan, so the top is a little out of focus, sorry)

But these are apparently original art panels I found on an auction site just now. These specifically appear to be from a French collection entitled "Clementine en Vacace." I'll add the English-translated captions from my book. I have no idea how accurate they are to the original gags, but they look right, at least:

"You think maybe black and white is too conservative for me?"

"A big girl like you ought to change in the bath house."

"You're not the first to take me for Clementine's sister!"

"Why don't you two come out of that stuffy place and have some fun?"

"In some ways, your father is still a little boy."

"Do you accept traveler's checks?"

"George! You're so romantic!"

"Vacation's over, Clementine."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Woapalanne posted:

I love it. Any chance you could include the French text, if it's there to scan/copy?

there isn't, else I'd have included it for comparison

however, if you dig around on some image searches as i did, there were some rough sketches and the like that did have the punchlines included in a very scribbly hand, if you wanted to take a run at those

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

riderchop posted:

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

the best five words to be posted in the thread, every week

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pancho Jueves posted:

I think we've reached a new low in failing to draw things. In what universe are snowflakes triangular?!

I feel like the point would have been made just fine if they'd just drawn asterisks instead of triangles

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

This is rarely a topical strip! Last weekend there was a minor national scandal when it was SHOCKINGLY revealed that for decades the sound effects in cross country ski races on TV had been added to the broadcasts by foley artists, who had "ski swish", "crowd cheer", "cowbell" and other such samples on their MIDI keyboards and would just press keys to dub in the sounds.

No. Seriously:

https://yle.fi/aihe/a/20-10005843
watching the olympics and such, i always assumed the cowbells were some kind of signal from the coaches to the athletes, or perhaps from the course marshals to the athletes. my illusions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

it'd get flagged for having 12 on the field