Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Started off the new year by waking up at 3AM with a panic attack so bad thought I might be dying and called 911. 2023 ftw :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Power went out at my house fuuuuuuck

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Android Apocalypse posted:

How's your February going?

A bigass ice storm is moving through northeast Texas and everything is a loving making GBS threads fuckcircus outside. There are downed trees and downed power lines EVERY-GODDAMNFUCKING-WHERE. I just stopped at a house where an entire loving tree fell onto the roof not 30 minutes before and just smashed it to pieces. There were tree limbs touching the walls in the hallway.

So...... that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

He did not

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

this is our outage map rn

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

guys I don't think our power is coming back on tonight :whitewater:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m in Austin and it blows because half the places are closed because of the ice. Luckily I fly out of here tomorrow. This is the second time I’ve been to Austin and got hosed by the weather.

Yeah, it's the same where I am, maybe slightly worse since I'm further north. My company is based out of Austin though, and that's where my boss is. My boss hasn't replied to any of my texts since before noon today, which is unusual on days like the one I had today so I imagine poo poo on his end must be BAD right now.

Keep in mind my job is in tree services, and a major component of that is working and being outside in THIS EXACT SITUATION soooooo yeah.

I'm really hoping they'll let me have tomorrow off if I end up having to go all night without power, but I'm not holding my breath.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 2, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am sleeping in a chair near my fireplace tonight because that is the only working heat source in my entire house.

I... don't think I'm gonna be able to get much work done tomorrow.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Skwirl posted:

Having visited Texas frequently, but only in the Spring and Summer, freezing to death was not one of the possible ways to die in Texas I'd ever considered.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1621248596094996487?s=20&t=y2bZuWcRVZQSIxaQPlTNxg

I would have guessed heat stroke, traffic accident, or gun.

Y'all this storm is so much worse than you think. Like SO much worse let me tell you how much worse.

Apparently Austin got hosed so sideways by this ice storm that my company is calling all hands on deck and getting work crews from other cities — including mine — to help with the cleanup. This means that for the next week, my region's ONLY work crew will be in Austin, along with our service manager and only other salesperson. So I am about to be the one and only motherfucker in my whole entire region holding down the fort selling services for this tree service company.

For one week.

After a major ice storm.

It WON'T be okay.

I WILL gently caress this up.

:shepicide:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I haven't made hardly any sales this week. My weekly sales numbers were just starting to improve on a consistent basis and then this loving ice storm happened and now I'm back to almost zero.

I am so loving bad at selling it's honestly a wonder I haven't been fired yet.

I'm supposed to be doing $15K/week in sales minimum just to stay employed at this place, and I have not hit that number once in the 4 months since I started this job. The other guy I work with did loving double that number his first week, and just pulled a goddamn $90K this past week in Austin.

gently caress me I am so burned out on this poo poo :shepicide:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This owns.

And here I thought I was an edgelord for having a list of like 15 made-up slurs for conservative rednecks.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 10, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I want to be a ranch racoon since I love raccoons and am trashy but the reality is I'm definitely ashy but you can't see it.

I've used "truck monkey" and "tractor monkey" a few times in conversation.

That list has so many gems I'm having a hard time picking out my favorite ones but "iPhone on light mode" is some :discourse:-tier poo poo, and that's just on the first page.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm probably insane but after the 2nd F&F movie I was :geno: and have not seen any since.

Then again I may also have some hereditary degenerative neurological disorder where I may forget stuff so maybe my taste in movies are also skewed.

I only ever saw the first F&F and I thought it was boring. Maybe if I saw it again and then tried watching some of the others I'd like it more, but I'm also not a huge car person.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/fuckyouiquit/status/1624413809728421889?s=61&t=KjqIAYw2GYvs4-fBcvA2KA

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My entire workday yesterday was a very special kind of shitshow and I really want to type up the full exciting story of what happened for this thread but it is 12:40 AM and I need sleep and I don't even have a fraction of the energy to do that poo poo right now so

I'm posting this to remind me to do it today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/mischiefanimals/status/1628414881870249992?s=61&t=2_0g7uj-8jmKm4C6BGVImw

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a new office chair, but I don't want to burn my entire tax refund on a Herman Miller Embody even with the 20% off deal they're doing today.

But drat do I need a new chair :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Amy Pole Her posted:

Who the hell buys new.

I do. I absolutely hate buying used.

Like even if it has absolutely no signs of use whatsoever I still can't stand buying used.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grittybeard posted:

This seems rather foolish if you do not have money to burn. I really don't care about anything other than whether my chair works, if someone has farted in it before I am confident that I will absolutely overcome their power with my own farts.

I didn't say it was rational or logical. I just said I don't like doing it.

I've sat in an Embody before and liked it a lot, although I really want the Logitech gaming edition one because it has extra padding and I like how the cyan back looks.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Freaquency posted:

But also, an Aeron is useless if you don’t have an ergonomics coach or w/e telling you how to set it up. The seating in one of our conference rooms is all Aerons that were left over from the last tenant and it’s the worst place to have a meeting. None of the chairs are set up the same and it’s impossible to figure out which knob or switch to twiddle to make it work for you.

Yeah, the new computer science building at my school has nothing but Herman Miller furniture and all of the classrooms and labs are filled with Aerons with all of the features and they are annoying as poo poo to sit in. In fact that's part of the reason I don't want to get an Aeron.

I dunno, I've had my eye on the Embody for awhile now, and I can afford it with my job earnings and I do plan on taking it with me to school when I go back. I just...... don't really feel like buying it today.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I just got told by one of my customers that I look like one of the guys in the Murdaugh family.

so

I learned something about myself today. :wtc:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think it might be about time for me to look for an exit ramp from this tree job.

Our sales in my area have been extremely snake-bit for a little over a month now, during what should normally be one of our busiest times of the year. In that month I have had no appointments and the only jobs I've sold have been 2 or 3 to my own loving house. I have been sent home for a day without pay for not hitting my daily estimate/sale quota twice in the last 3 weeks, and I've heard talk of the company owner thinking about doing this to other salespeople for entire weeks if poo poo doesn't pick up soon.

The only other sales rep for my area hasn't been having much better luck than me, based on what he's told me in conversation. We HAD a third rep who started around mid to late March, but I found out last week that he up and quit after like 3 weeks on the job, and hell I don't blame him.

I have hung on at this place way longer than anyone should, mostly because I am a spineless coward with almost no sense of self-worth or confidence in any of my other marketable skills and I've been too desperate for a paycheck to want to risk going somewhere else that might turn out to be worse... but things at this company are coming to such a head right now that I am honestly questioning whether my branch will even survive another month.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Trying to update my resume so I can find a new job, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to put down for the list of responsibilities on the job I'm doing now.

Like, everyone always says to highlight your "achievements" on these things and I don't fuckin HAVE any achievements, I've been sucking rear end at this job since day one.

Like,

Summary of Achievements:
• Showed up.
• Wasn't fired for criminal behavior.

Seriously, how the gently caress do I polish this turd?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

welp

Coworker just told me that our company owner is thinking about suspending our draw if sales don't pick up soon, which at the rate things are going right now they are almost definitely not gonna do that.

My draw makes up my entire salary. I have not earned commission once in my entire time working at this place, and I've become convinced that doing so in my territory is basically impossible unless you're either a wizard or doing some sort of shady/illegal poo poo. I'm going on almost two months without a sale, and my coworker (only other salesperson in my territory) isn't making nearly enough profit for us to even hit our minimum quota for payroll. Forget saving our draw, at this rate my entire company branch might not survive past summer.

This workplace is now officially a doomed ship. I don't work for free, and I'm not working at a place where I can't expect to make a regular paycheck. I need to find a new job.

Silly Burrito posted:

You’re working with trees, right? Did you do any of the below? Mix and match as necessary.

[stuff]

You may have just saved me literal hours of sitting on my rear end procrastinating thinking way too hard about what exact words to write on my resume with this post. Thank you!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kalli posted:

Yeah, main new addition is Ratchet and Clank Nuts and Bolts vehicle building (fans just lying around everywhere, make cars / boats / airships). Also time rewinding for objects combined with meteor showers from islands way high up in the sky so the game features tons of verticality

So in other words it doesn't have real Zelda dungeons with maps and compasses and items either?

In that case it sucks, and those reviews are all bullshit. Bring back REAL Zelda.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

welp

[...]

This workplace is now officially a doomed ship.

aaaaaaaaaand the Titanic just broke the gently caress in half. AND it looks like I may have clung to the railing a little too long.

I got a call from my coworker yesterday where he told me our crew's backlog was running dangerously low from lack of jobs being sold. The sales drought here has started to ease up a little bit — at least for said coworker — but it's not easing fast enough to get our backlog where we need it, and I've been so burned out from doing nothing but self-genning and getting almost nothing every day for the last few months that my :effort: has been at an all-time low. Our office hasn't assigned me an appointment in almost 3 months (they used to give us at least one per week but the calls haven't been coming in like they used to), and that's where the bulk of our sales come from.

So anyway, since the backlog is drying up, my boss and the crew manager are taking a closer look at all of our estimates from the last several months, and boss finally noticed that a whole bunch of mine came from my own house and called me out on it. Boss accused me of trying to pad my self-gen numbers (which is true, although I've only ever done that on days when I couldn't get a self-gen anywhere else) to make it look like I'm out working when I'm not (which is false, I *AM* out working, but some days are just slow like that and I have to turn in something). I told him that all of those estimates were for legit jobs that need doing, and that I'm trying to convince my dad to OK a few of them (by filling out multiple forms for the same job lol) but that we can't afford to do any of them right now (all of which are true).

I'm being formally written up and suspended without pay for 2 weeks (starting next week lol) for "conduct unbecoming/unethical behavior", which is kinda rich coming from this place but still not something I wanna deal with when I'm applying for other jobs (or filing for unemployment I guess, although I live in Texas so that probably wasn't gonna happen regardless).

and then there's THIS...

my boss posted:

When you come back you will need to have completed all osha courses and read or listen to the 10xRule, sell or be sold And extreme ownership.

You will need to have detailed notes on all of the three books
and proof of the certifications.

You will report to [city our main branch is in] for a disciplinary review in person and we will discuss your future.
Now, the OSHA stuff I kinda get, but note that the underlined are all Grant Cardone books, because the owner of this company fuckin loves Grant Cardone and pays several thousands of dollars per employee to make us all do """sales""" """""training""""" through Cardone University. My job requires me to watch 3 christawful videos from this horrible site every day and it is loving painful. Grant Cardone is a jackass and more than 90% of the poo poo he says in these videos isn't even applicable to my industry or the kinds of clients I deal with.

Keep in mind, I'm not being paid to do any of this poo poo. They expect me to do all of this during unpaid suspension. After which they might still fire me.

gently caress.

I should've just quit this place on my own terms after I posted about it a month ago, but being an unemployed neet with no work history really fucks with your brain after awhile, and I was too cowardly and happy to finally have a regular source of income to just cut and run before finding another job someplace else. Now it's looking like I could be let go for-cause, and that seems like it'd be harder to bounce back from than if I had quit.

What's the best way for me to navigate leaving my job at this stage? I think I'm now past the point where I can wait to get hired at a new job before quitting this one.

tl;dr: I hung around at my lovely job suckling the company teat for too long; boss busted me for slacking off, suspended my rear end without pay, wrote me up, and wants me to do a bunch of unpaid poo poo before I come back and we "discuss my future". I need to abandon ship right now before I (possibly) get fired, and I can no longer afford to wait around for a new job first. Because I am a winner at life, I now have to ask the internet "what is the best way for me to quit this job, that makes me look the least lovely?"

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 8, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

FizFashizzle posted:

How long have you been there?

A little over 8 months. It'll be about a week shy of month 9 when the 2 weeks is up.

FizFashizzle posted:

Do you have a good reference from that company?

My coworker would probably give me a good reference, if that counts.

I think my boss would too, although he's the one telling me I'm being written up and suspended right now so who knows. We've been on pretty good terms up to now though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

You are definitely about to get fired. Just quit and find a new job man.

I'm just wondering why they're telling me to do the OSHA and Cardone poo poo if they're already planning to fire me anyway. Also why they're still telling me to work today and tomorrow. actually this is totally something they'd do

But yeah my boss using the words "discuss your future" pretty much tells me I'm already dead.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Amy Pole Her posted:

Use a coworker as a personal reference

I can do that. My coworker is pretty cool; I think he'd agree to let me use him as a reference.

FizFashizzle posted:

I’d absolutely never mention this job on a resume.

uhhhhh... well that kinda sucks, since part of the reason I've been here so long was so I COULD put this job on a resume. I don't have a lot of work history as it is and I kinda needed this job to help pad that out.

My last job before this one was in 2021 and lasted less than 2 weeks. The one before that only lasted about a month and a half. Granted both of those jobs were in car sales, but still. My resume is pretty bare. :(

C-Euro posted:

Your employer just gave you a free if unpaid two weeks to find another job. Bust your rear end looking for something during that break and then on the last day of your suspension tell them that you aren't coming back. Be professional if/when you have to return any company-owned property, and for gently caress's sake don't list them as a reference going forward.

I'll do this.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Timby posted:

Just loving quit so you don't have to lie about being fired or asked to resign from a prior job. Tell them your two-week suspension is your two weeks' notice. One way or another, your time with this company is over.

My only question right now is HOW do I quit?

Like do I just send them an email saying "I quit", or is there some legal way I need to phrase it so it looks professional and they don't try to cut my pay for the work I already did last week and this week? Should I tell them I quit "effective immediately", or that I'm putting in my 2 weeks notice effective today (I assume the latter but I want to make sure so I don't gently caress this up)? nevermind looks like you answered the last part

I've never formally quit a job before, so this is something I actually have to ask now.

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is "How do I phrase the 'I Quit' email?"

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 8, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am not trolling. Jesus Christ.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to type my resignation email. My head is loving killing me and I have a bajillion questions about how to do this professionally with 2 weeks notice and I'm not sure where to begin.

C-Euro posted:

I'd imagine that the laws vary by state, but when I left my last job (based in NJ) HR during the exit interview told me to my face that they could only answer the following questions during a "reference check" on a former employee:
-Was this person ever employed here?
-What were their dates of employment?
-What position(s) did they hold (and nothing about what they actually did AFAIK)?

Might be worth seeing what the labor laws in TX say on the matter. Of course, it's just as likely that NBS is correct and no HR grunt screening resumes will look deeper into it than "does the company listed on this resume actually exist?"

I've had actual hiring managers in TX tell me they don't look into things listed on peoples' resumes hardly at all.

C-Euro posted:

"I am tendering my resignation from [COMPANY NAME], effective [DATE AFTER WHICH YOU'RE NOT GOING TO SHOW UP ANYMORE]. I am grateful for the opportunity to have been part of this organization." If you think they're going to fire you at your evaluation, list that date as the day of said evaluation and send the email out the day before.

If I remember right, my contract requires me to give 2 weeks notice before quitting. Should I not send an additional email for that part today as well?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 8, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ehud posted:

google "two weeks notice template", copy and paste that into an email, and fill in your supervisor's name, the company name, etc.

work until the date you put on the notice

or they say, "we're all set. you don't need to work the 2 weeks notice" because they're probably pretty upset with you right now

Thank you, that makes it easier.

I'm sorry for bombing this thread with dumb questions. I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed and dizzy over all of this and it's making it really hard for me to think. Like I said, I've never done this before and I appreciate all of y'all's help.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm working on replying to several of y'all's other posts but I wanted to address these first.

kiimo posted:

Also don't let people get you down about falsifying the sales thing, some companies in sales have irrational demands and can force you into doing something stupid like this.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait that’s a great point - were your commissions in any way based on these fraudulent numbers?

Yes they were. Big time.

During the holidays and around the start of 2023, there was a period of like two and a half months where I had to turn in at least 4 new estimates and/or sales every single day, and any time I failed to do so they'd keep me home without pay the following day. So my paycheck (not even my commission, but just the draw which is my base salary) basically depended on me doing that, and naturally there were some days where I'd work all day trying to get forms and still come up one or two short. That was originally why I started filling out forms at my house in the first place: to get me up to that 4-per-day threshold on days when I was short a form or two.

Thankfully I was never sent home during that time, and they eventually eased up on that requirement so I didn't have to keep doing that anymore, but then around mid-March our sales started to dwindle again and the company lost a lot of money because it turned out many of the jobs we'd sold over the winter were underbid, and I got sent home without pay a couple of days for not turning in enough forms the day before (which my boss told me was so the company could afford to make payroll). Ever since then I've been paranoid about going a day without submitting a form at all because I don't want to go without pay again, so I started doing the forms at my house again so they wouldn't cut my pay.

Speaking of which..... I haven't gotten a single form done today, and my boss is back to telling me I need 4 per day again so I'm hoping he doesn't straight-up fire me today when I send him my totals for the day and there's nothing but zeros on it (I'm required to send him my total daily sales, estimates, and profits at the end of every workday, and they do check that poo poo so I'm kinda hosed now).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 8, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I did it. I sent in my resignation.

It was a little wordy because I mish-mashed a little bit of what y'all told me to say with a template from Indeed and sprinkled in some extra "thank you for hiring me/please don't hate me" stuff, but here's what I sent.

quote:

Dear [BOSS(es) NAME(s)],

I hereby tender my formal resignation from [COMPANY]. My last day will be Friday, June 23, which is two weeks from tomorrow. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of this organization, and I very much appreciate all of your support and the valuable experiences I have gained here. It has been a pleasure working with all of you.

I will continue to provide whatever service I can, such as wrapping up any outstanding work, between now and my last day. Please let me know how I can help during this transition and make it as smooth as possible. I wish you all the best!

Sincerely,
[MY NAME]

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One of my uncles lives in this town and he's a massive DIY guy. He built several extensions onto his house and a whole rear end 2-floor work shed in his yard, plus a bunch of other poo poo, and his garage has a full loving car lift.

A house with a literal cave in it totally sounds like a thing he'd gently caress with if he could afford it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's called Cracker Barrel cuz that's what all their customers are

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

6/9 Last actual day of work at my lovely job! :toot: :69snypa:

I feel weird. Like weirdly bereft and melancholy even though the job sucked and I didn't like doing it. Also shocked that I managed to spend the last 8.5 months* at this place, which is both longer than I should've stayed and longer than I expected to hang on. When I started this gig I was worried I'd be fired within the first month, and now it's been more than half a year and I have actual money saved. Small victories! :stare:

* It's also officially the longest anyone with my job title has lasted at this branch of the company. Everyone else either left for greener pastures or vanished under mysterious circumstances long before that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I've lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks and I just broke almost all of my PRs this week AND my weight belt is one notch tighter than 3 weeks ago! :hellyeah:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I've lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks :hellyeah:

Make that 10.5 lbs in 4 weeks :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

After several months of no job (I put out applications but none of them panned out) and no posts in this thread, I had to go back on Abilify, which was a driving force in helping me get my last job, to work up enough pep to keep my rear end looking for a new one, and I think I finally have enough of that built up in my system to consider applying at UPS since they're probably hiring holiday help right now and I hear their pay has gotten pretty drat good since the strike.

I think at least one of y'all (Skwirl maybe?) said you worked for the postal service and/or knew people who work for UPS? What should I expect if I try to apply there? Are the physical demands as strenuous as they are for warehouse jobs where you have to move a lot of weight around and do a physical fitness test before they'll hire you? Cuz I did one of those for a warehouse gig last year annnnnnd I did not pass at the time.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 16, 2023