Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The typical Souls game has the hard critical path and the optional harder critical paths, but Elden Ring is a gigantic open world game where any time you get stuck on a boss you can just wander off to explore something else, which is effectively grinding for souls without the tedium of the previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do they not know that consoles have unique serial numbers?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They report the SN to Xbox Live every time you log in.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Surely he got things chopped off after Magneto ripped out his adamantium skeleton?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Resdfru posted:

Dofromantik was used. I grabbed darq. Didn't try the others.

Thanks bovis

Oh, that was me, sorry. Had a browser tab sitting open, forgotten. Thanks bovis.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Counter Strike Global Offensive Source 2

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

credburn posted:

Kenshi is fun but holy hell who has this much RAM?

You don't?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

16 GB is a mid-tier video card.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zore posted:

The new Steam update seems to have screwed up the back button in the workshop browser, trying to browse a game's workshop in the client has become a terrible experience because hitting back just doesn't work or shunts me all the way back to my library.

Is there some kind of work around for this?

switch to the beta

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Real smart of Valve to update this back-end stuff without a single word (typical), and moments before a big Sale too! I imagine there might be a few pissed off people who are now getting a 15 day lock-down on their account if they were needing to change methods because of this sudden change.

Those aren't public APIs, Valve can change them whenever they feel like because nobody outside of Valve should be using them.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

what? how does that even happen?

The purpose of ML is intellectual property theft on a massive scale, with the hope of moving so fast and breaking so many things that they can set a legal precedent that their labor theft is legal.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot, a bootlicker, or a liar. (Or all of the above!)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you can also match velocity with your target

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Keyboard and mouse has been stagnant since Microsoft introduced the scroll wheel in 1998 and is a bad way to play video games.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

is this new? it's an alternative to downloading over the internet. pretty cool either way.

It's about six months old.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Them ladies tweren't wearing no clothes! :aaa:

That's because they're in a state of grace not seen since Adam & Eve were cast out of the garden.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Witness isn't anywhere near as difficult as The Talos Principle (or Baba is You or Snakebird or basically any other puzzle game).

(Unless you count the optional post-game time-limited portion, which is great.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

i should have been more specific, i meant the shitload of BG3 players uploading a shitload of enormous save files might be overloading steams backend and making it flaky in general

As far as I can tell, the Steam backend tells the client which of Azure/Amazon/Google to connect to, sends them the bucket ID and authentication tokens, and the client uploads to the cloud provider directly.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

> how should we indicate that a surface is climbable
> idk just put some detective vision poo poo on there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMjJnWJGA0

The worst example of this is the visual language for an surface you can bomb in Arkham Knight is broken steel reinforced concrete.

Which you can find on the helium balloon airships.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gabe isn't going to kill his knife simulator.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I really liked Talos Principle and been meaning to complete the DLC, but jesus the demo for Talos Principle 2 is 22 gigs?!

The demo save data better be able to carry over...

I know, so tiny, right? Small enough to fit in system RAM, barely larger than VRAM.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The issue was that their pricing model was completely insane and they could've absolutely gotten away with a 5% royalty rate like Unreal.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How'd you feel about talking to citizens and solving crimes in RoboCop?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

DXVK is one of the reasons why some games run better on Linux than on Windows, and now the Windows people are appropriating it. :argh:

The DXVK developers are extremely irritated by Windows users cargo-culting absolute nonsense and wasting everybody's time.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Resdfru posted:

What does this mean

The Windows port of DXVK exists purely to do side-by-side testing/debuging, the performance is more-or-less universally worse than the native driver and Windows users keep stumbling into to DXVK discussions and asking absurd questions and/or making crazy demands.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

My favorite Steam ad failure is when they show you a promotion for something that you already have in your cart:

So the ad system is aware of what you have in your cart, but rather than just excluding those items, they made a special banner to indicate that you've already got it in your cart. I would love to know the process that went into launching that.

The thought process is "remind the user that they intend to buy this product and it is currently on sale for a limited time in order to induce a FOMO response"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

the current dominant trend in business management across all sectors is to fire all permanent employees and use fleets of disposable contractors for all work instead. When this concept is applied to game development, you end up with a lot of people who are brought in to design or build specific systems, but nobody with the long-term knowhow to understand how everything fits together and design things to do so smoothly. hence: lots of feature rich games that run like poo poo

And all games are built on Unreal now, a large complicated engine that these contractors are all familiar with on the surface level but that nobody has the time or expertise to customize or optimize for their specific use-case.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Impermanent posted:

if tim sweeney is sitting around relaunching beloved franchises when the gently caress is ZZT 2 coming

Good news! Super ZZT was released in 1991.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

it gives me no joy to say this but I think "ZZT 2" is just roblox

oh, well, if you're going to go that route then ZZT 2 is Fortnite Creator or whatever they call it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

70GB for a puzzle game. UE5 is an absolute curse. :negative:

That's only ~2x RAM or ~5x VRAM, PlayStation 2 games were 120x RAM or 1200x VRAM.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Serephina posted:

I honestly have never felt so smug about being out of the loop; what unpleasant internet phenomenon have I missed out on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0fQFFAml5o

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Attack on Princess posted:

Is there a term for the opposite of clickbait? Cause that thumbnail is it.

Both goons and Garry's Mod are aging badly, but you don't have to be mean about it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Probably fun things like movement risks punctures and punctures risk fires and fires risk NTSB advisories.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

- Since you're playing a Big Daddy, instead of doing the kill Big Daddy -> save/harvest Little Sister routine, now there's an extra step where you have to watch over her gathering ADAM while Splicers attack. Most people hate this, though I will say a good deal of the arsenal in 2 allows for laying down traps and supports the concept of point defense really well, so YMMV.

This is the whole reason to play the game IMO, you're scouting the entire level, collecting resources and picking the point which is the most defensible, then you're using those resources to build your fortress and then you play a little horde mode against a bunch of splicers.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

People liked 2 more than 1? I’ve never heard that take

The combat is better, and it is a mandatory bootloader for Minerva's Den, the best BioShock story. (Written by known rear end in a top hat Steve Gaynor.)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The only boss fight in DS1 where the timing of blocking matters is Artorias.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They didn't read The Green Futures of Tycho by William Slater when they were kids smdh

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phenotype posted:

ok i have purchased RDR2 for $40 using what feels like the sleaziest back alley version possible, where I sent them my steam profile url and someone friended me and gifted me the game

what the gently caress dogg this was G2A, I thought they were legitimate? They've been around forever

e: Is G2A/Kinguin/G2Play dodgy?
Yes, very dodgy. These sites resell keys. They don't give a crap if said keys are stolen or fraudulent. You are strongly advised to avoid G2A, G2Play and Kinguin.

Ok apparently this was in the OP. Jeez, hope I don't get my account banned or something.

30 or 40 years from now you're going to give the nice man from the IRS with the funny accent who cold-called you complete access to your bank accounts and lose your life savings.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And the currency changes happened early enough to not interfere with any Steam sales, unless you happened to be an incompetent indie developer who set your prices wrong and then didn't attempt to fix them until after it was too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lister posted:

The winter sale trailer shows a few of the nominees for the steam awards. Red Dead 2 gets on the list for Labor of Love despite getting nothing beyond two maintenance patches for over a year. The steam userbase brain trust has done it again.

This is what simple majorities give you. Clearly Valve should adopt a voting method that satisfies the Condorcet criterion when possible.