Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Are there any recent Final Fantasy Tactics-likes with better-than-Mixed reviews with any sort of discount right now? I bounced hard off of Fell Seal because of the level design and weird dev stance on grinding, I'm a hog for Disgaea but 7's at a hard 0% off, and my most recent additions to my wishlist for this genre (Crimson Tactics, Arcadian Atlas) have aggressively mixed reviews.

Is it time for me to just buy Tactics Ogre Reborn and accept that I'm picking up a remaster of a game I already played a ton of when it first came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ragequit posted:

Tactics Ogre Reborn was an absolute treat, especially on the Steam Deck. I need to play through it a few more times to check different plot choices.

MarcusSA posted:

I'll second this.

Ragequit posted:

Didn't think of it at first since I played through on a Switch, but Triangle Strategy is a must-play. It's unfortunately not discounted right now. Should be $30 or less during the Christmas sale.

Fae Tactics may be another option. It's $7 and has positive reviews. I only tried the demo a few years back and remember it being decent.

Thanks everybody! I played the poo poo out of Fae Tactics and TROUBLESHOOTER when they came out but this pushed me to pick up Tactics Ogre Reborn and wishlist Triangle Strategy

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Deakul posted:

It's for the best really.

Yeah I'd call playing that chunk of FO4 "game of the year edition"

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Here for a long time not for a good time I guess

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

oh poo poo, time break chronicles. i gotta play that some more

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

FauxLeather posted:

I'll try to be nice but I'm... surprised to see Inward as a finalist on the Outstanding Visual Style award category in a year with some top contenders.
I feel like a real hater here but looking at the nominees in every category, I sincerely had the thought "was 2023 way worse for games than I remember?"

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 was released 4 years ago and hasn't received an update in 3 and a half years but it's nominated for this year's "Labor of Love" award.

The description of that category is "This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the debut of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years."
I don't even play the game anymore but it's insane that Warframe doesn't just get this one 4 years out of 5. Dying Light 2 definitely put in the work this year too.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My contribution to the ttrpg -> video game discussion is that I'm officially done with traps in video games. There are arguments about their place in ttrpgs, but it's always just as boring in video games. Oh! You spotted a trap! Now you can do the fun mechanic of clicking on a thing and making it go away. Oh! There's another trap! Do the same poo poo again. Even BG3 where there were puzzles or things you could do to block them still sucked. On subsequent playthroughs they're always worse.

Let's just not have them, or have them all be the puzzle traps that are always as interesting as the puzzle you have to figure out.
Tactical CRPGs love two things:
- The clatterclatter of dice or the pingpingping of perception checks on entering a room. Nothing happens? Well. Sure, okay game
- Having a massive engine-straining setpiece combats in the intro, the end of the first act, or both, where you spend 2/3 of the fight watching NPCs fight each other

It's incredibly frustrating as someone who likes these games! Just stop it!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Can't stop playing Time Break Chronicles please send help

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Yeah, if you're interested in Disgaea 6, my best recommendation as a sicko who loves this franchise is to wait until Disgaea 7 is on sale (maybe more than the 20% it is now because there's so much DLC to hoover up at gently caress-you prices). Anything good from 6 shows up in 7 (automating grinding of fights) while being made not-lovely (there's a limit to how much you can automate so you don't just leave your game running overnight and come back as a tiny god; also you can just select "rerun as though I did it this way X more times" after a point and instantly get e.g. the xp and rewards as though you ran a grinding stage 30x in a row), and the new additions are gimmicky but fun for what they give you. Also the item world changes are Controversial but I think are a net good.

I'd still say something like 4 Complete is probably the best you can find for being a decent intersection of QoL and compelling gameplay, though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Windows has also done a stellar job of making each iteration past 8 look more and more like it was designed tablet-first, which as a desktop-only type person feels like shiiiit

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN which may or may not be a dumb meme of a game. It looks like it's maybe good even though you play as anime Fred Durst? Have to play it to be sure,
It is sincerely good and fun as hell

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Get this: its cutscenes and dialogue are very entertaining. Big tent gaming.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I think a lot of the boss difficulty in Stranger of Paradise has to do with if you've utilized one of the "do all the damage fast enough to just, phase the boss and then kill them before they act" skills with a build to support it. I know I got enough use out of the gun move that channels a laser beam (starlight?) with the stats to sustain it and ramp the damage that once I got past the base game and into the NG+-style content I was just...doing that, and winning, forever. And before that I was using the one dagger skill that sounds like it's defensive (water wall? something?) that actually channels a short-range murder field and does the same thing but you have to be in melee range to start chunking them.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I wish the Rad Codex folks would stitch together their games and just make one big really long one at some point (maybe they have?), I've been enjoying the hell out of Horizon's Gate but realized after I did 3 story quests, that there were...3 story quests.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sword of Convallaria's demo made me mad, because it's got the right FFT feel (at least early), good pace to battles, crisp animations, and then back-to-back you get introduced to the gacha system AND the mobile-game energy system. Immediate close and uninstall from me, despite being a habitual Genshin pig.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

FutureCop posted:

So yeah, both Lost Ark and Marvel Heroes are topping my list around 500 hours for similar reasons: great top-down combat and so many fun classes.
Some day an arpg will recreate the Marvel Heroes magic, and that'll be it for me. Cosmic today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The 7th Guest posted:

April games:

Dead Island 2 (April 22nd) - Another one out of Epic Jail. Does anyone care much about this? It took so long to actually get made that I didn't hear a peep about it once it actually was released. Eiyuden Chronicles Hundred Heroes (April 23rd, $50) is the spiritual successor to classic JRPG series Suikoden, complete with tons of recruitable characters. And I -can- say spiritual successor as it is by the original creator, who sadly passed away prior to the game's release (not the only situation like that this month). Should be on Gamepass.
It's funny you put these two together, because they're the two I know the most about!

Dead Island 2: It's actually fun, having put 50 hours into it in Epic jail. Unlike the first game the world actually feels pretty open, opens up quickly, and lets you wander without feeling like it's just empty zone A into empty zone B doing same-y grind quests. Some of the quests are sweet, some are funny, some are stupid, the writing has more hits than misses even if the overarching plot is both jibberish and kind of Dying Light like? In conclusion: Worth a Steam sale pickup if it looks interesting, the combat IS very good though.

Eiyuden Chronicles: Having been an early backer of the KS I can tell you everything I've seen about this game looks gorgeous, the systems look like they're just doing another good (1/2 era) Suikoden game. We've got basebuilding. We've got a hundred recruitables. We've got 6 party member slots and isometric JRPG turn-based battles. We've got shark-men and a ton of minigames I think? It should be either the biggest disappointment of the year or a profound banger with 0 daylight between those choices.