Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

HopperUK posted:

I am no dude! But yeah, I know I shoulda done it ages ago. But this is probably the Year Of New PC anyway so my hand will be forced.

Tbh I think it's perfectly fine to not have an SSD. You turn your PC on as normal and while it's starting up you just do whatever for a little bit. Rewind some tapes, call your friends house and ask their mum if theyre around and can come cycle to the park and throw rocks at that tree that got hit by lightning a few years back, go play in a storm drain, that sort of thing. Then when you're done you come home, exit the screensaver, log in to windows 95, chuck the command and conquer 1 play cd into your gaming rig, make sure the turbo mode button is pressed even though you're not quite sure what it does, and off you go. I challenge any SSD cultist to point out a single observable difference between this experience and theirs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Volte posted:

There's nothing really special about Unity and bad performance, it's just got a lower barrier to entry so inexperienced programmers without a good idea of how what they're doing impacts performance can use it to make stuff relatively easily.

I am a terrible developer and I've never worked with unity or in games but over the years I've seen a lot of posts that are basically "after untold hours of going 'what the gently caress', I finally figured out a bit of how the performance monitoring tools work and it turns out the place I'm rendering a bunch of particle effects and various resource intensive logic because it seemed easy and accessible is actually something that unity checks and recalculates 500 trillion times a second"

It's a common enough problem with SDKs and frameworks aimed at supporting beginners, it's very easy to get away with bad practices that work when you're starting out but absolutely don't scale at all. Though usually the point where it becomes an unignorable problem and you spend some time figuring it out and rewriting a bunch of your code is before your game goes to market

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I enjoy games with reading to a point, but I spend so much of my life reading text on screens that I wish there was an e-ink reader I could just plug into my computer, mount next to my normal monitor, and pipe game and website etc articles to that

And so even though I much prefer story-based games, thinking about eyestrain just keeps me from committing to those 20-60h long games with hundreds of thousands or millions of lines of text that I'd just be hammering into a pair of already largely destroyed eyeholes

e: to clarify, i havent checked into this in a while but i remember every time i had this frustration and went to check out the market for e-ink monitors and stuff, it's always super expensive, like $700+

boofhead fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 22, 2023

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Just got Shadows of Doubt to give it a whirl, tried to escape from an apartment I'd broken into during the tutorial and got lost in the vents, I found an exit but it was too high to get back into, and then I was stuck in a bedroom with both tenants home in the other room between me and the door. Had to punch my way out and leg it, I don't know how long I can stay interested with procgen content but so far it's fun

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Spiders don't bother me in particular, but I'm not embarrassed to admit I lost my poo poo when I found a Huntsman spider in my bedroom once and chased it across the room spraying a can of raid and clobbering it with a block of wood so hard its legs flew off

the spiders you can see are fine, its when you know they're there but they've disappeared that you start to wonder. i remember as a teenager id have a huntsman in my bedroom every so often and just ignore it, until just before i went to bed it'd disappear from its ceiling corner. and so during the night while sleeping i'd sometimes move and touch my face or something and snap out of my dream, absolutely convinced that the spider was in the bed with me. so you get out of bed, check around a bit, dont find poo poo.. alright, back to sleep i guess?

although one time i was driving my beat up commodore on the highway and a cockroach or spider or bug or something started climbing up the back of my neck, that was very real.. had to grab it one handed, open the window and fling it out. same car had a huntsman chilling out in the boot for a while, now that i think about it

i had very very cheap cars and had no garage to park them in so i guess it was inevitable

boofhead fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 28, 2023

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I drove a Tandy, myself

i guess you could call my car a Trash-80

it was trash, and there was about an 80% chance the fuel pump injector would cut out while going 110km/h on the highway and i'd have about 5 seconds to sort my poo poo out or i'd die

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Expectations for nuanced opinions is Gamer Oppression

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

2024 we're going to finally see the rise of the pre-order only immersive sim video game video game where you play a character struggling to load a game on release day, searching the bowels of the internet for config hacks to get it working, getting into arguments with your partner, staying up til 4am on a work night for literally no reason, and then when the game loads it's just an apology cinematic from the in-game devs and a link to the store page to buy some DLC for the actual content

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

im an immersive simp

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cheap Trick posted:

I was going to add "Dialog tree to negotiate a ceasefire with the turret" but maybe that strays too close to RPG territory

I think a "choices MATTER" RPG means that if you negotiate with the turret rather than destroying it, at the epilogue cut scene you can see a framed painting of a turret with love hearts around it in your apartment

There are no other choices in the game but damned if they don't advertise the hell out of CHOICES MATTER on that single dialogue choice alone

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

repiv posted:

unity has been pushing AI hard and immediately stepped on a rake by promoting a plugin that "generates 3D models with AI" but actually just downloads existing entire models from sketchfab, many of which are stolen

AI has been getting scarily optimised lately, drat

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

That's incredibly hosed up

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

1*number of hitlers is just the same as writing number of hitlers, your testicle maths is balls

you're 1 * (absolutely right)

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

disposablewords posted:

I AM the type.

But also these have gone so aggressively on sale so often that it's hard to imagine anyone being both interested and not already having them. Wild.

It's me! I have never played any of those games, they've always been vaguely on my list but never got around to it, and they never came up in a sale at a time where I was in the mood to commit. But I'll impulse buy them now to play in winter, since I won't get baldur's gate 3 until it drops significantly in price after a long time

So I reckon I'll grab these and add them to the ever growing pile of classic games that, from time to time, in the depths of winter, I whip out and work through

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

i heard if your steam library has enough unplayed games in it gaben uploads a virus to your brain that wipes all your memories of the witcher 3 so you can play it again for the very first time

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

good news, battlefield is going to become even worse

https://twitter.com/BFBulletin/status/1686488813009272833

what on earth does that mean? more microtransactions or what?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Bumhead posted:

But filtered through the stupidest possible AAA lens.

What lesson shall we take from this indie project made by 3 people that hyper focuses on the relative simplicity of our games and what people want from them? Why, re-imagined connected ecosystems, of course!

The gaming industry is supposed to be larger than the movie and music industries combined and the bigger players haven't had anything to do with art in a long time. So it's probably more constructive to think of them as oil executives than creative studios, and from that standpoint their decisions are not based on "how can we make a product we can be proud of that keeps us in business" but rather "how can we leverage our market position to meet shareholder profit expectations"

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

yeah i was having BSODs recently and game freezing but audio continuing, couldnt figure it out until i opened up my case, cleaned a fuckload of dust out of everything, and reseated my ram

not sure which of those two it was but that fixed it

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Leal posted:

Why spending money marketing when you can reach out to a youtuber and offer them a free copy and maybe a tshirt to show the game off for you?

I'm pretty sure most influencers with actual numbers in their viewer base get paid a lot more for their marketing than a free game and a t shirt

Less than traditional advertising platforms, sure, but the internet hasn't been 2002 for a while now

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Thank you to whomever mentioned Abiotic Factor having a free test run or whatever of the alpha at the moment. I just installed it and spent 5 hours In a random open server with a bunch of dudes having a whale of a time. "Half-life meets subnautica" is bang on

Unfortunately my game kept crashing but it looks like I was the only person on the server who had issues to that extent. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this game, especially if I can debug my crashing issue and if there's a goon EU server up at some point

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Hwurmp posted:

THAC0 is whac0

dorks go whac0, dorks go whac0 for THAC0s

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

i bought

lethal company (not on sale)
the expanse
encased

but i played lethal company for 3h and then obviously just started playing the longest journey which i got on sale like 2y ago

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Bethesda: losers make games that people want to play. Winners sell games that people want to buy

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Serephina posted:

Yes, playing the game is usually more fun than watching a video of someone else playing it. A sad affair, one might say.

lol

why are nerds so desperate to punch down about literally anything

you dweeb. you dorklord

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you don't know what punching down means

its what i do to your dad when we fight over extra shifts at the dick sucking factory

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I played a few hours of Abiotic Factor over Xmas or whenever it was free and I had a lot of fun but I gave up after a couple dozen crashes. Dunno why, but couldn't fix it

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

For the average person to complete Dying Light 2 Stay Human, you'll need at least 10^106 years—almost as long as it would take for a large black hole to evaporate! This is because only when the last shred of matter in the universe has diffused into a dilute gas would playing this game be considered a reasonable use of one's time

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

i wanted to like black mesa but every time i load it up it turns out i played so goddamn much of hl1 as a kid that it's still too soon for a remaster/reboot

maybe in another 20 years?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Wonder if the dev got hacked

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

this whole time i thought vtuber meant.. video tuber. like it was just a general term for someone who makes videos for youtube, twitch, tiktok, whatever

now that i know better, hiding your face still seems like a good idea? given how utterly deranged people on the internet can get, especially with this whole weird.. parasocial thing, or whatever its called

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Women be horny, no shame in that

Unless it's a titillating shame, in which case how could you, but keep going

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Awesome! posted:

so if you happen to be like me and go to steam on this sale day and wonder why your add to cart button doesnt work, apparently it is a bug in augmented steam. i did some searching and found that if you disable this augmented steam option it will fix it

thaaaaank yooouuuuu

been annoyed at this for a while now and just disabling the extension whenever i want to buy something. admittedly although it has actually been good because those extra few seconds of effort gave me the time to go.. adding another unplayed library to my steam account won't fill the gaping void in my life. only drugs can do that

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Is the Syberia game pack worth getting for like 12 euros? I've never played them but I'm a huge fan of story based 3d worlds with strong character work and less of a focus on combat - so I loved all the longest journey games and beyond a steel sky, and enjoyed Deus ex human revolution and so forth, but bounce hard off the games where you're a solitary traveler who must collect notes. I'm feeling the itch for something like the longest journey but no matter how hard I google it just seems like a niche genre somehow

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Kibayasu posted:

Syberia 1 and 2 are staples of old adventure games - 1 more so than 2 but I still enjoy both a lot. The characters aren’t quite as rich as TLJ but there’s plenty of personality on display and the environments have fun with the clockwork theme. Also much like TLJ there are plenty of classic adventure game puzzles where you combine a bunch of seemingly unrelated items into an impossible but useful contraption.

Syberia 3 and 4 are modern 3D adventure games and have a much lighter emphasis on puzzles and more on dialogue and character. Unfortunately they aren’t quite as good at the dialogue and character as they need to be and the VA/animation budget was obviously pretty limited. 3 in particular can be especially dire at times. 3D being more expensive also means there isn’t nearly as much imagination on display in the backgrounds compared to 1 and 2.

Syberia 4 (World Before) improved a lot on 3 in basically all respects but is still just getting into the valleys below the peaks that 1 and 2 reached. It at least feels like a lot more effort went into it. 4 is an okay modern adventure game.

Gromit posted:

Like Kibayasu suggested, 3 is pretty dire compared to the first 2. Like, it really soured me on the whole lot.

thank you! i think then that i'll grab the first 2 individually and leave the pack. if i really want to play the 3rd and 4th afterwards, i'm sure they'll come up in a future sale

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Man after how many sales and demo fests in a row without buying anything does a person have to start looking deep inside himself and realize that he doesn't like video games anymore.

Maybe it's worth reflecting on what it is you used to enjoy about games and what you're looking for from them now. I keep getting caught up in other people's enthusiasm for certain games and wanting that excitement for myself, but the vast majority of "objectively" fantastic games just do nothing for me, and these days there are very few games that tickle my fancy. I've slowly realised that what I'm looking for most is an interactive imaginative adventure and the game mechanics usually just get in the way, so I focus on easy adventure games or low complexity RPGs set to the easiest mode they have

And even still, I play far less of them, but I'm also clubbing far less and doing less drugs these days too so I guess it's all just part of getting older and finding more of a balance in how you spend your time and energy. Which is hardly a bad thing, endless repetition usually leads to stagnation and dissatisfaction in my experience

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Orv posted:

There’s a few games from the last few years that let you set settings and see the effect immediately without having to leave the menu which is really nice but also witchcraft.

I'm still in utter shock when I can alt tab back into a game without everything breaking

It's been a few years now where it's been like this but I'm still impressed every time I do it

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I heard good things about Rogue Trader when it first came out but then I heard it suffers in the final quarter of the game or so, like they tripped up for a deadline or something. But I also heard there was a big new patch recently so I have no idea - anybody played to the end since then and can comment? The story and world aspects seemed quite cool, I'm not interested in mechanics and just play everything on easy but I do love a good story and world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Lister posted:

It's a question of opportunity cost. If a $10 million investment in a game over three years makes money, that's good. But if it makes less that putting that same money in the stock market over the same amount of time, then it was comparatively a bad investment.

It can also just be a symptom of capitalism brain rot, in that you can make Number Go Up in the short term by firing a bunch of people, even if they represent a profitable asset. Investors and upper management love that poo poo, especially when their personal bonuses are tied to certain abstract KPIs. It can even be a legitimately bad move for the company in the medium and long term, they'll still pull the boxing equivalent of sawing off your leg to make weight for a fight