Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I’m gonna fire that emblem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lord Koth posted:

I don't think there is synergy though? Both seem to be in-combat activations for themselves, so not exactly sure how you'd stack them.

Briefly looking over the others, Lapis' personal seems extremely dubious. +10 Hit/Avo, -10 Crit if there's an ally next to her is generally just not good for a swordfighter - the Avo is nice, but Hit's generally pointless and a penalty to crit is brutal. In general though I'm noticing a lot of rather niche personal skills there, many of which don't seem particularly useful

crits are good if it's hard to one-round enemies and bad otherwise, and it seems like this is a game where you will not be lacking for offensive power

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Emblem spoilers: it appears the 13th emblem is Alear.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

lih posted:

does anything actually suggest that the thirteenth emblem is alear or is that just speculation for now?

Not explicitly, but the person with access to the preview initially posted a follow-up that very strongly suggested the guess was right and expressed astonishment at how bold the JP marketing team was to post a video that just barely kept some crucial plot element out of frame. They've since edited that out.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 10, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Endorph posted:

2) engage meter starts full at the start of battles (ltc city probably)

lol. lmao

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Terper posted:

I better save my Engages, in case I need them later in the map : )

If you don’t engage right away you’re wasting all those potential engage meter refills

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

It's a game where the signature feature wears out its welcome about three quarters of the way through the first playthrough

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The ROM has leaked and full spoilers will probably be coming very soon.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I have seen an early cutscene that I would describe as extremely corny

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

mabels big day posted:

I am interested in knowing this part as well

Support-mechanics spoilers:

S supports are back for Alear.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Inu posted:

(And why in the world is the run button in non-battle sections R instead of like B, or Y??)

It’s secretly also Y.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

You can also regenerate the bond ring RNG seed by starting a battle, immediately restarting it using the in-game menu, and leaving to go back to the Somniel, where you would then save and pull rings again. So if time is no object, you can arbitrarily force any S rank ring from your current emblem pools by spending as little as 100 bond fragments.

As mentioned above, if you pull a character you don’t want from Emblem A, and they’re in slot 1 for Emblem A, you can reset and re-pull to get any slot 1 character from the other Emblems at the same rank.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 24, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

A small child runs into Ike in the arena:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxmXWfaav6pbSolJp3AaoB8Dkm8HB5eIDU

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 27, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Fogado gets some pretty hilarious boosts to his stats when you reclass him into Warrior.

It honestly seems like all three of Etie, Alcryst, and Fogado can do better as a Warrior than they can as a Sniper or Bow Knight, with Alcryst's personal class being the exception due to Luna scaling very well.
Normally Warrior only gets C rank in bows but for those 3 characters it gets bumped up to B which is good enough to wield silver bows. Warrior also gives them more points into build to wield them easier too!

Do note that you’re comparing his base class to a promoted one.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Harrow posted:

Also as busted as a second Dragon Vein emblem is, a second dance emblem would be absolutely nuts.

Ahem. Azura would be a singing emblem, thank you very much

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I think the main problem with having all the DLC emblems will be that they completely negate the gameplay shift that happens after chapter 10.

Also, a Camilla!Mage Knight completely usurps Ivy’s main niche…

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Harrow posted:

There's no reason not to inherit Lineage on everyone early on if you have DLC, right? It's 150 SP for +20% EXP, which also means you get more SP so it'll definitely pay for itself. And early on it's not like you're going to be able to afford more than one or two cheap skills so it's not taking a skill slot that would be better used for a combat-relevant skill until much later when you don't need it anymore.

That's probably what I'll do ASAP in my Maddening run to at least somewhat offset the lower EXP.

Lineage and Mentorship suffer from the same problem that Nobility did in Fates and that Veteran did not have in Awakening: the EXP floor is too low for them to really help.

In general the +20% EXP bonuses amount to about one extra level’s worth of EXP (or about 50-100 SP) due to the way that EXP scales down when you get ahead of the level curve. It may pay off in SP terms if you’re getting experience primarily from support actions like healing or dancing, but not if you’re exclusively a combat unit.

Lineage can roughly break even just because it comes super early, it almost returns its own SP cost, and it does give you an extra level’s worth of experience. Mentorship is a worse deal that is probably only worthwhile on Seadall, since he has a bona fide level target to rush to.

The math may be slightly more favorable for these skills on difficulties below Maddening.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

Instincts said that this wouldn't work on Maddening but fortunately I have a chapter 10 save so I could check.

Citrinne has around 21 Mag promoted at chapter 10.

Add on 18 MT, 40 (give or take) * Great Thunder 1.2 = 48

Enemy fliers have 14 Res and 32 Health.

So yeah that's a pretty clean kill at 34 damage to 32 health.

Great Thunder and Raging Fire work by multiplying your final damage by 1.2 (rounded down), so they essentially multiply not only your own magical attack power but also the enemy res by 1.2.

It is feasible to reach one-shot kill thresholds with Thoron + Great Thunder, but it takes a bit more help than what you have here.

Great Thunder and Raging Fire are better than the magical Emblems if you’re trying to hit those thresholds, but if you’re doubling things with Elfire/Bolganone and you’re shooting for two-shot kill thresholds, Raging Fire will tend to be a little worse than the two best magical Emblems in vanilla (Celica and Ephraim).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Leif is the only Emblem that grants passives that benefit knives. Specifically knife precision, the flat hit/avoid bonus with no drawback.

Knife Precision is not a Sync or Engage skill. You don’t get it by equipping Leif, only by buying it from him.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Shiny777 posted:

Meteor's enemy only. Soren's got Bolting, though, so I'd assume you could stick his bracelet and Dual Assist+ on someone in a backup class and get up to some extremely stupid poo poo for 3-4 turns if so inclined.

Dual Assist+ does nothing if you don’t independently have the ability to chain attack. You must be a backup unit or have Lucina equipped.

e: I totally misread this!

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 15, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Supremezero posted:

I assume that's why they said "On someone in a backup class"

Uh, whoops! I thought the suggestion was for a (natural) mage with Soren and Dual Assist+

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Einander posted:

I don't know who decided that chapter 13's fliers should be entirely axe and sword, but that does let a base level Kagetsu changed over to Wyvern Knight solo the entire waterfront for free even on Maddening. It would have taken every single incoming attack over the course of the entire chapter hitting him to kill, assuming that the ones with Smash weapons could even survive long enough to attack him.

Well, to be fair, that’s impossible without DLC.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Kanos posted:

Most of the "later characters are flat out better!" talk is very overblown, but Kagetsu is absolutely just completely jacked. Not only are his bases incredible, he's also got some of the highest total growths in the entire game and basically crushes the hell out of any physical class you want to put him in.

Fantasy Japanese people are just incredibly powerful, I guess.

They seemingly tuned some of the prepromotes, particularly Kagetsu and Pandreo, with the idea that they would be limited by their bad classes.

Too bad Engage has made reclassing more trivial than in any other game since New Mystery!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Endorph posted:

like the post above says there are a variety of skills like that, and i think for a decent chunk of the game the four hounds only have 'reduced' not 'remove.'

i believe stalwart makes it 2x

Maddening gives essentially all bosses (except the final one!) Veteran+, which negates effectiveness entirely.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

On maddening you get four skirmishes in the entire campaign, IIRC, with the first appearing after chapter 11.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

On Maddening in particular, you get 13 experience for a same-level kill, and it basically increments by 1 or 2 points per level in either direction depending on which way the level difference goes.

Mentorship’s 20% experience boost essentially just kicks you up one tier on the experience reward scale, going from 13 to 15 for a same-level kill. In other words, once they’ve pulled ahead by about 100 EXP, your unit gets the same experience with Mentorship as they would have gotten without it.

It does not pay itself back. You’re essentially paying net ~150 SP (and a skill slot) for All Stats +0.5 or so from your extra 100 EXP.

e: I think on lower difficulties you just get something like twice as much EXP as on maddening? In that case the point about getting the same EXP once Mentorship has pulled you ahead by 100 still stands.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 28, 2023

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

The priority order for Adaptable is Range, WTA, Effectiveness, Total Derived Stats (all but Weight), and finally Inventory Slot.

You can make Brionac out-prioritize Light Brand against non-axe ranged weapons by giving it an engraving that boosts its Hit, Crit, Avo, or Dodge.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Harrow posted:

Ooh, Triangle Attack added internal level to the Average Stats tool: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/average_stats

Very helpful for comparing characters' stats

Looks like it’s off by one on all unpromoted units because your internal level at base class level 1 is 0, not 1.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Ryoma also knew the whole time, which makes the entire premise of the game really stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Harrow posted:

The fact that you can fairly reliably get a couple hundred more SP per battle, and will sometimes get like 1500 or more, that you can just give to any unit you want is a game changer for skill inheritance. A lot of things that were previously out of reach without insane grinding are now well within reach. Like it wouldn't even be that crazy to inherit something like Speedtaker and Lunar Brace on the same unit or something. Or you could actually inherit Hold Out to put on a Vantage/Wrath unit. And those are on the lower end.

Alas, even though some flashier combos are possible now, it’s still correct for basically everyone to choose Canter(+) and then one of the boring stat increase skills (especially Speed, any of the Power skills, or maybe Strength or Magic).

Lunar Brace is perhaps the most promising of the super-expensive skills, but it still really depends on having good stats otherwise, especially Speed, so that you can double and deal meaningful damage with braves. It might be good in combination with Marth, Roy, or Lyn.

Sword Power solves the main problem that magic Griffins (read: Chloe) had, namely that they couldn’t keep up with the kill thresholds the way a speed-boosted Mage Knight with a forged Bolganone could, so they couldn’t beat everything on enemy phase once the enemies grew strong enough. Now, the most mindless way to beat the game is probably to have Lucina!Alear @ Wyvern/Griffin spam bonded shield for Sword Power Griffin Eirika!Chloe, occasionally joined by the likes of Wyvern Kagetsu and Lindwurm Ivy.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 9, 2023